Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Screaming Idiot posted:

I always get nervous when I see Roman/Greek inspired stuff because of how often it's used as a dogewhistle for white WESTERN supremacy, and those lightning bolts look sus AF, as the kids say.

Great looking army, though.

AFAIK lightning bolts were a pretty common Roman design historically, so they aren't necessarily being misused. Not exactly definitive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Eh that's not as sus as you're making out. Romans are pretty fash but that's more historical goofiness than dog whistle.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I don't like orcs being uniform, but I love orcs being disguised, so it's a thumbs up from me!

Well isn't this your lucky day??

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That Space Marine painting is not really Orky enough TBH

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

darkwasthenight posted:

I'm a tank, I'm a tank, I'm a tank

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Iron Crowned posted:

That's what makes it extra kunning. They'll never guess it's an ork.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

darkwasthenight posted:

That's what makes it extra kunning. They'll never guess it's an ork.

:hmmorks:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Ork? What are you talking about? That's your archetypical Ultramarine!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
That Orky Trojan Rhino is great.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Screaming Idiot posted:

I always get nervous when I see Roman/Greek inspired stuff because of how often it's used as a dogewhistle for white WESTERN supremacy, and those lightning bolts look sus AF, as the kids say.

Great looking army, though.

I also feel this way when people go hard into Vikings/space wolfs

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Iron Crowned posted:

that's coz a grot did it

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ugleb posted:

AFAIK lightning bolts were a pretty common Roman design historically, so they aren't necessarily being misused. Not exactly definitive though.

I don't think we can equate these lightning bolts with SS poo poo, it is it's own thing independent of that.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Romans are pretty fash but that's more historical goofiness than dog whistle.

I mean, that's where "fascism" as a word comes from, the "fasces" symbol of office/authority of a lictor:

But I wouldn't equate that with auto-Naziism.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The fascists stole symbols from all over pre-christian europe. That said, I feel that a pretend army modelled on the roman legions sets of way fewer nazi alarms than one modelled on vikings or other "barbarians".

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

darkwasthenight posted:

Ian Wood, the guy redoing third edition Epic is doing the same thing in 6mm. He also made a bunch of kommandos running around with the old style Falcon gravtanks above their heads.

https://twitter.com/wartrader/status/1514205916060700672

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Honestly I am more suspicious of anyone who plays vikings/space wolf armies then people who wants fantasy or historical romans. Now if someone wants fantasy/historical spartans then my alarm bells get set of in an instant.

Btw Conquest from para bellum has some fun undead romans/byzantines line for those interested (I mean soldiers and priests look cool - ghosts/cultists are generic as poo poo)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I hate when people can paint 6mm far, far better than I can paint 28mm

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Scratch Monkey posted:

I hate when people can paint 6mm far, far better than I can paint 28mm

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

darkwasthenight posted:

I love these!

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Ian Wood, the guy redoing third edition Epic is doing the same thing in 6mm. He also made a bunch of kommandos running around with the old style Falcon gravtanks above their heads.

https://twitter.com/wartrader/status/1514205916060700672

I love these!

And to keep the good vibes going, here's some more!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Orks lootin anything and everything is my favourite part of the 40k community, and this one is the best.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I love these!

I love these!

And to keep the good vibes going, here's some more!

ooooooooooowns

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
That necron croissant turned into the yellow moon is such a good fit that I didn't even recognize it for what it was until I started at it.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

You guys are probably putting more thought into the default shield design that comes on a lot of random Roman historical minis than the painter did.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Are Chaos Orks a real thing? That would be awesome

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Scratch Monkey posted:

Officially? No.
But don't let that stop you.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

IIRC no ork has worshiped a chaos god. Occasionally exposure to the warp or chaos magic will mutate an ork, but the other orks pretty much instantly sniff out that they're "not orky" and murder them. I think something about the passive psychic powers of orks and their sheer stubbornness that keeps them safe from the corruption of chaos.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Also there is little chaos can tempt orcs with

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

kzin602 posted:

You guys are probably putting more thought into the default shield design that comes on a lot of random Roman historical minis than the painter did.

I was trying to think of a reference that definitely would pre-date any 20th century influence, the ancient stonework example covers it nicely.

I do not think that everyone with a historical or orkish interest is a closet fascist.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Also there is little chaos can tempt orcs with

orks can have little a chaos, as a fight

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

There are a few instances of khorne orks in the lore, but I don't know if they are still considered canon.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

chin up everything sucks posted:

There are a few instances of khorne orks in the lore, but I don't know if they are still considered canon.

Yeah orks crave combat so I can't see why khorne wouldn't appeal

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ugleb posted:

I was trying to think of a reference that definitely would pre-date any 20th century influence, the ancient stonework example covers it nicely.

I do not think that everyone with a historical or orkish interest is a closet fascist.

No of course not. It's just that sometimes nazis are super into the same poo poo and it can be hard to seperate the fash from the regular human beings

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

Orks like fightin', they aren't blood-mad crazies. But if any god was gonna sneakily influence them, it would probably be Khorne. Maybe tzeench could trick them into thinking he's Gork (or Mork).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

They already get to fight as much as they like.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Plus Gork is too brutally cunning for the Chaos God's. And Mork is too cunningly brutal.

Or maybe it's the other way around.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Improbable Lobster posted:

No of course not. It's just that sometimes nazis are super into the same poo poo and it can be hard to seperate the fash from the regular human beings

At this point though Nazi's are into all kinds of poo poo. Some of them are pretty heavy into MLP, but I'm not going to give the stinkeye to an army painted with rainbows and glitter.

One of the only good things I can say about Nazi shitheads is that they're really good at identifying themselves. If there's nothing else suspicious about an army it's pretty safe to give somebody the benefit of the doubt.

Sometimes a cloud is just a cloud.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
There's canonically a Waaagh of Orks in Khorne's realm.

They heard about daemons and went invading the Eye via Cadia to find a proper scrap. The Waaagh ran over a bunch of chaos worlds until they all finally got slaughtered and then big K resurrected them in his realm where they could spend eternity battling with his favourites. There's always new Orks sporing and daemons spawning every night so the fight never ends. They don't worship Khorne or anything wussy like that though; a good scrap is it's own reward.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think this picture is the only canonical appearance of Chaos Orks. I think it's from 3rd or 4th edition.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I think this picture is the only canonical appearance of Chaos Orks. I think it's from 3rd or 4th edition.

yeah thats from the Witch Hunter's codex

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

darkwasthenight posted:

There's canonically a Waaagh of Orks in Khorne's realm.

They heard about daemons and went invading the Eye via Cadia to find a proper scrap. The Waaagh ran over a bunch of chaos worlds until they all finally got slaughtered and then big K resurrected them in his realm where they could spend eternity battling with his favourites. There's always new Orks sporing and daemons spawning every night so the fight never ends. They don't worship Khorne or anything wussy like that though; a good scrap is it's own reward.

So Khorne created a paradise for creatures that don't even worship him. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Honestly Khorne should worry a little that Tuska will eventually attempt to kill the biggest daemon of them all: him