Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I really enjoy Seaside Vacation. It's just such a fitting and heartfelt track you hear in the background a few times when Miyuki is on TV before you reach this point and get hit with the full track. It really pushes forward how these are still teenagers, listening heartfelt to the radio and chatting about the little things in life with their friends over sweets. A warm reminder in the middle of all the battling.

That sounds kinda silly as I type it, but I'm not sure how else to express it. It's just a really nice map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finally got 2-10 cleared, so let’s get into Tomi’s next chapter.

Chapter 91: Tomi Kisaragi 7

Music: Just Because (Composer: Azusa Chiba, Arranger: Rikako Watanabe)

What’s Juro doing over there in the corner?

(Did you really turn into a different person? Megumi’s crying for you, you know.)

New building, same ol’ sleepyhead.

Let’s just talk to Miwako now. Wait a minute… Miwako!?

I’ve been meaning to tell you…

Shall we go there after school?

Nice try, impostor! You’re here to body-snatch me, aren’t you!?

…? You’ve been acting strange today.
……

Use 2025 on Miwako Sawatari

You really don’t remember?
You said that this morning, too… I’ve never heard of Ruined Future. What kind of shop is it?
……

Use Underground Gate on Miwako Sawatari

You were freaking out! You’ve gotta remember that, right?
Underground…? You mean the downstairs food court at the mall?
Um… No.

In the last few days… did anything big happen? Anything at all?

Hmm… Something big… Oh, I know.

Three days ago… We moved classrooms from the old building to the new one. That was so sudden… I could hardly believe it.

Is that not it?

Consider Miwako Sawatari

(She doesn’t remember a thing about what just happened.)

Sorry, Miwako, but it looks like we’re going to have to put you in a home.

(That’s not something you can just “forget.” It’s more like… her memories were rewritten. As if she never went there at all. The school marked us absent those days… But she’s acting like she’s been here the whole time. It’s crazy… Did that underground computer do this…?)

Music: Ennui Vibes (Yoshimi Kudo)

I’m glad you remember, at least.

To her, it’s like nothing ever happened. And Shinonome-senpai… She doesn’t even remember my face.

drat.

I think the Shinonome thing might be… something else, at least.

Everyone here’s in the same boat, right? My mom… The people of my city… Maybe they’re all hidden somewhere, being monitored. It all comes down to that underground computer. I bet it has the answers.
……

The place is crawlin’ with androids.
Um… I’m pretty good at hiding?

Besides… How the hell do you plan on gettin’ there?

Use Underground Gate on Nenji Ogata

Do you even know how?
Uhh… I don’t think Morimura would be much help. And Shinonome-senpai… She was looking at me real suspiciously. Oh, I know! Sekigahara-kun! I’ll find him, and—
Calm down. Just think about it for a sec. You really wanna mess with that thing? poo poo’s dangerous. And y’know…

Nenji being the rational one for once.

Kinda ruins it by striking a pose afterwards, though. Or maybe strengthens it, I dunno.

Music: LONER (Azusa Chiba)

Wait a minute… this feels familiar…

Why do you care? Don’t tell me…

It’s just… I’d feel pretty lovely bein’ the one who let you do it.

You poor idiots!

You want me to just sit on my rear end until something happens?
I get it, all right? We’ll think of something together. Just don’t go rushin’ off on your own.

Speaking of going off on one’s own, remember the other people that are supposedly here right now? Well…

Nenji quickly steps in front of Tomi.

Music: Bad Omen (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

I think it’s about time we settled our poo poo.

C’mon, you’re fighting again? Stop that.

Don’t tell me this little bitch is your girl? Heh heh… Didn’t know you were into elementary schoolers. That’s messed up, man.

You wanna say that again? Say it to my face.

rear end in a top hat.

*groan*

And so, Tomi boards the train and leaves Nenji behind.

*sigh*

*groan*

If I start to doubt myself, it’s all over. I’ve got a lot more investigating to do.

The gate was right here. If I stand here, I should be able to go back! At least… That’s what I think. But what do I do to get it to show up?

……
Do you know what you have to do?
If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes… I’d be questioning my sanity. It’s so absurd, my head’s going to burst.
You can head back and rest up.
Okino…
Don’t worry. I won’t be going anywhere. I just need to ensure Chihiro Morimura doesn’t find out. Time to pull a few tricks on the gate and cover our tracks.

Finally found my in. Sooo…

These lines here are Cassandra Lee Morris (Tomi’s VA) at her highest “Morgana from Persona 5” setting, by which I mean: there’s a really amusingly devilish and mischievous quality to these deliveries. Just thought I’d point that out.

Who are you?
Tomi Kisaragi. And you are… Okino-kun, a guy who doesn’t wanna be caught by Morimura. Right?

Now then… Won’t you do something for me?

Blackmail, baby!

Tomi’s locked behind Shu, but we’ve also got a new Ei unlocked. Cool.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I can't imagine the feeling of seeing that train rush by only for THOSE sentences repeated who knows how many dozens of time to play back again, that's amazing and whoever wrote this moment deserve a handshake.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

HGH posted:

I can't imagine the feeling of seeing that train rush by only for THOSE sentences repeated who knows how many dozens of time to play back again, that's amazing and whoever wrote this moment deserve a handshake.

It really is one of the best moments of a game full of really awesome moments.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

HGH posted:

I totally realized that that's what was going to happen and I still got a slight jolt when it did.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 92: Takatoshi Hijiyama 5

But then… I’m not thinking straight myself. Okino’s a man. Why was I so scared that Sekigahara would “steal” him…?

Man, you’re dumb, Hijiyama.

Consider Tsukasa Okino

(That drat Okino. That was too far for a joke. …… Anyway… What was going on with those talking images? If I recall… They said something about being reborn…?)

Where is Okino?

Oh, there’s Okino. And he’s waving to us, how nice.

Okino.

I need to get some information out of the nurse’s office. So I need you to distract the school nurse, Morimura.

Morimura’s wearing a big white coat. Can’t miss her. All I need is about 10 minutes.
H-Hey.

And with that said, Okino just runs off on his own. Typical.

Consider Distract Morimura

(Okino’s trying to sneak into the nurse’s office. So I have to keep Morimura occupied in the schoolyard. She should be wearing a white coat.)

There’s nothing interesting at the break area but an unresponsive Shu Amiguchi. But I repeat myself. :v:

Over to the schoolyard, then.

Yes, ma’am.

Boobs.

Yes?

Music: Bad Omen (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

A student’s been injured…
Oh no… Can you help me get them to the nurse’s office?
Uh, well, actually…

This is going too well! Quick, change tactics!

Not what I meant!

Wait, I mean… their leg’s mostly fine, actually.

Hijiyama…

OH gently caress

I know that uniform. You’re from Nigakuri High, aren’t you? Are you trying to pull pranks on teachers?
The jig is up…!

I’ll say!

Tell me your name.

Who’s your homeroom teacher?

Abort! Abort!

We need to beat feet!

Let’s just head back to the wooden school building and wait for Okino.

Some kind of nostalgia, I suppose. The building still smells like it did back then…

Consider Sentinel

(Back then, I was just focused on training to pilot the Sentinel… I never imagined I’d end up like this…)

Music: Between The Lines (Kikuchi Yukinori)

You can take a closer look.

The thrill of it all left me speechless.

That’s right.
Look at those arms. Those legs… It’s like an iron giant.
A 2,000 ton invincible iron giant, at that.

Let’s just hope this one hasn’t taken a vow of pacifism, because we’re going to need to do some kaiju ultraviolence with it.

I don’t know much about the technical side… But it uses an electromagnetic field instead of gunpowder. One ton of shells in a single salvo.
A ton…!? They’re just like the main batteries on the Nagato.

They control their own path. Never miss a mark.
How is that possible…?
It will revolutionize war as we know it.
If all that’s true, then… it sounds like a gift from the gods. Or something out of a science fiction novel.
Professor Douji can tell you the specifics. Apparently it’s based on this technology out of Germany…

All we need to do is strap in and protect our homeland. And if I’m not able to, that duty will fall to you.

Why did they turn to students like us…?

You and I were apparently the only viable choices.

Fuckin’ blushing up a storm here, Hijiyama you ain’t slick.

Why are you here? This area should be highly restricted.

I assume because she’s the one who developed the machine you’re looking at.

Oh… you know. I’m just delivering documents on the professor’s behalf.

Not that convincing, Okino. Quick, Hijiyama, deflect!

It’s fine, Keitaro. She’s the professor’s daughter.

Good, good.

I have permission.

From yourself, presumably.

We’d better start on your synch connection adjustments. Well… The professor wants to, anyway. I’m just the messenger.

Smooth. They’ll never suspect a thing.

……
Thank you for passing that along, Kiriko-san. Let’s go, Keitaro.

(Keitaro should have been made the only Sentinel pilot… But nothing in the history books even mentions him. Maybe they couldn’t get the Sentinel ready in time?)

Is Okino back yet? Let’s look around. I somewhat doubt we actually managed to buy him ten minutes with that little stunt, so it’s possible he got caught.

Music: Feeling At Ease (Rikako Watanabe)

Who are you?
Do I look that different? It’s me, Hijiyama. I never imagined you’d wind up here too!
Takatoshi-san?

I suppose I can’t blame you for not recognizing me. I’ve been living here for half a year now, myself. It’s had time to grow. Take a closer look. I swear it’s me.
……

Scratch that, HOW did you get here? What’s happened at home since I’ve been gone?
Slow down, I can only answer one at a time…!

Use Yakisoba Pan on Keitaro Miura

It is 100% in character that the first thing Hijiyama would ask Miura about would be yakisoba pan. I refuse to consider any other possibility.

I’ll treat you to some yakisoba pan.
Oh, no… I’m fine. These days… I’m in the care of Kurabe’s grandchild.
I see… But I’m telling you, you’ve got to try this yakisoba pan. It’s the most delicious food this era has to offer!
Takatoshi-san…

What is this… hemborger?

This is the funniest thing that has ever happened. I am now dead.

Use Tsukasa Okino on Keitaro Miura

(Okino said he didn’t want anyone knowing he was here… Best not to go talking about Kiriko Douji, either…)

Weird that Miura just doesn’t ask about this. “Hey, buddy, you know when you disappeared for six months after chasing a girl into the woods? …What was up with that, exactly?”

Use Sentinel on Keitaro Miura

Well… That’s actually how I came to this era.
What, through the Sentinel?
It has the capacity to time travel.
What…? So it’s true… It really is a weapon from the future… Where is the Sentinel? Somewhere nearby?
It is around here, but… I can’t move it. Shikishima and this era’s government caught wind of it, too. They’ve seized the Sentinel.
Dear gods…

You came here.
What happened after I left?
You escaped as an accomplice to Kiriko Douji. At least, that’s what all the reports said.
Nothing doing!

Really like how they localized whatever archaic form of “No!” Hijiyama presumably used here.

Do you think I’m a spy, as well?
No chance of that… But… even if you were a spy… You wouldn’t face any punishment for it.
What do you mean by that?
There’s nobody left in our time to authorize it…
So… we lost the war. Just like in the history books.
It’s nothing to do with the war. The monsters destroyed everything…
*shock* What do you mean? Explain yourself.

*shock*

Music: The Sector Theorem (Kazuki Higashihara)

The shrine held a way to travel across time…
You’re coming, right?

Then let’s get going.

In hindsight, I cannot believe the audaciousness of the devs with this loving clock animation.

There’s not a soul in the factory or the bunker. Doesn’t look like there’s anyone around here, either. You’d think this place was hit by one of the air raids… But there isn’t even a single body. No sign of any international aid or intervention…
Because Japan wasn’t the only one hit. If I had to guess… This is the state of the entire world.

Music: IMMINENT (Yoshimi Kudo)

Use Destroyers on Tsukasa Okino

Yeah. They’re all Deimos. Destroyers of worlds.

And those aren’t even the biggest. What you’re seeing is just a fraction of their forces. A unit of hundreds has already passed through here…

Use Deimos on Tsukasa Okino

They don’t eat. The people have all been captured. Thanks to a buried UFO… well, a saucer.
A saucer?
That’s what the Deimos are after. Their goal is to break through to that giant underground saucer. Specifically, to get in contact with its tech. That triggers the saucer’s shifter, which teleports civilians. As to where they go… or why the Deimos do it… we don’t know.
So my mother… and Tamao-san… These things took them away?

Oh hey, he figured it out! There’s hope for Himboyama after all!

It’s hitting you too, huh.
Does that mean… These are… parallel worlds?
I’m impressed you even know the concept.
Used to borrow Keitaro’s science fiction novels.
At the very least, there’s one thing we know for sure. This reality and the other aren’t connected by causality.

If this is a nightmare, I want to wake up. Just looking at this, it doesn’t feel real…
……

Hmm… a linking component… might that be what reacted with Juro and caused him to force-transmit his Sentinel all the way back in Chapter 1?

Miura is now available.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 26, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was never super happy with the current thread title, so I've been considering changing it to "Main Character Syndrome: Let's Play 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim" (or "Protagonist Syndrome," whichever sounds better). Any thoughts on me potentially doing that?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sounds fine to me.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

I was never super happy with the current thread title, so I've been considering changing it to "Main Character Syndrome: Let's Play 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim" (or "Protagonist Syndrome," whichever sounds better). Any thoughts on me potentially doing that?

I like the first option better if you can fit it into the character limit!

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I like the first option. May I also humbly suggest an alternative: Yakisoba Pan or Hemborger? Let's Play 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

"You overestimate your borger" Let's Play 13 Sentinals: Aegis Rim

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Meanwhile In The Future was cool but the new one owns too!!

also lmao at the whole hemborger exhange

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Today’s my birthday, and I’m going to spend it giving you the gift of what is perhaps one of my favorite events in this game. It’s also one of the longer events, though, so let’s just jump right in.

Chapter 93: Juro Kurabe 9 (FINAL)

Music: Head In The Clouds (Rikako Watanabe)

Let’s go home.

Consider Tamao Kurabe

(As Shinonome-senpai told me earlier… There’s a second Juro Izumi from another world. He transferred his consciousness into an android… So that must have been what I saw. But still… Why did it look just like my grandma when she was younger?)

You know what your grandma looked like as a teenager?

What? Why the long face? Have another nightmare or somethin’?
Knock it off. I’m not stupid. I know I’m the only one who can see you.

Hmm… So it wasn’t fully wiped.

I guess mind-hacking has its limits.

Use Q-ta Shiba on Kyuta Shiba

You live inside me. That day at the shrine… You jumped out of that robot and possessed me.
What do you think I am, a ghost? I had nowhere else to go. If it were up to me… I would have picked a more welcoming host.

Use Juro Izumi on Kyuta Shiba

This isn’t about my lost memories, is it? You’re not trying to restore them. You’re giving me someone else’s.
What are you talking about? They’re Juro’s memories.
In other words… yours? The other Juro Izumi…
*sigh* Y’know, this one’s three times older than you.

We can’t have you causing a scene here. Your memory needs to be wiped clean.

Music: STAGNATION (Yoshimi Kudo)

Juro momentarily hallucinates another version of Ms. Morimura…

That’s right. She’s the one I saw in my dream…

*momentary shock*

Use Juro Izumi on Ms. Morimura

I’m actually Juro Izumi, aren’t I?
*silent gasp*

What’s this all of a sudden?
I get it now. The woman who keeps showing up in my dreams… The one I saw on Sumire Bridge… It’s not Fuyusaka-san. It’s you. Chihiro Morimura.
*sheepish laughter, averting eyes* I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Use Q-ta Shiba on Ms. Morimura

That Shiba-kun was inside of me? Or, rather… Juro Izumi was.

Music: Who D-Unit (Yoshimi Kudo)

You think you can just walk in here and screw everything up?

Juro backs away from Morimura and Megumi.

Attempting to get closer will result in Shiba reappearing and Juro backing away again.

Clearly, we have no choice but to abscond… from the monster living in our own brain. Genius play, Juro.

If I run to the nurse’s office… I’ll put Shinonome-senpai at risk too.

Consider Tsukasa Okino

(If the woman from my dream is actually our teacher… Then Tsukasa Okino must be real, too. …… Where have I seen him before?)

Hmm… where has Juro seen Okino… wait a minute…

There was a guy standing by the vending machines earlier. He looked just like Tsukasa Okino…

Man, if he’s not randomly standing next to the vending machines today you’re screwed, buddy.

Thankfully, Juro’s in luck.

Do you have a minute?
……

Do you need me for something?

Use Tsukasa Okino on Tsukasa Okino

You’re Tsukasa Okino, right?

You must be mistaken.

Okino mad!!!

You even sound like him. You were in that UFO with Juro Izumi… Right?
You’re not making any sense. Sorry, but I don’t have time for this. If you’ll excuse me.
Wait!

I know I’ve met you somewhere else.

That’s right… I remember now.

Or would you rather bear the brunt of the electric chair?

He’s a murderer. He bombed Shikishima, killing countless people. We managed to catch him, but his identity is still unknown. Furthermore, his testimony makes no sense. That’s why I’ve requested your assistance.

Onishi…?

Take a good look at him. Do you know this man?
…No. I’m afraid I’ve never seen him before.
All right then. Your biometrics lead me to believe you’re being honest with us.
Why did you bring me here?
Well, we used a truth serum on the guy. He started saying your name over and over. He also mentioned a student by the name of Chihiro Morimura.

Do you recognize her?
…No.
We’ll be requesting her cooperation soon enough. But it’ll have to wait until next week. She’s currently out of the country.

Wait, what!? Out of the country!? How does that work????

In any case, thank you for joining us today. I may ask for your presence again if any new info turns up.
Of course.
You are free to go. Follow the signs back to the waiting room.

Mr. Juro Izumi. Take a good look at him. Do you know this man?
How would I? All I know is… he’s a terrorist bomber.
Well, we took a look at your DNA.

Music: Cognitive Dissonance (Rikako Watanabe)

The two of you are a perfect match. It was quite a surprise.
What?
There’s a distinct possiblity… that one of you is a clone.
That’s ridiculous.

Exactly! To our knowledge, they’re both clones!

What does he have to say about it?
According to his testimony… He is, in fact, you… from the future. As for his motive… He claims he had to commit this crime to prevent the emergence of kaiju.
Kaiju…?
…! …Excuse me for a moment.

*gasp*

Music: Between The Lines (Kikuchi Yukinori)

Looks like he’s awake.
Perfect. I’m almost done.

Calm down, please.

Tsukasa Okino…

I was attacked out of nowhere…

Ha, Hijiyama is so proud of himself.

It was the only way. This isn’t the most welcoming place, is it? I can’t imagine you would’ve come willingly.

Keep your mind calm.

Use Tsukasa Okino on Tsukasa Okino

I saw you in my dream, and… you got left behind.
I knew there was something odd about you… But that dream of yours is even more surprising than I expected. Juro Izumi, shifting in cycles… There’s only one person those memories could have come from. I’m glad I looked into this. To think he’d seek refuge within Juro himself…

Use Juro Izumi on Tsukasa Okino

We call him 426. As of now, he exists as sheer consciousness. That is to say, he lives in your injected nanomachines. At some point, he got in and took over the system area.

Music: The Chills (Yoshimi Kudo)

He’s not quite what I imagined.
Don’t be deceived. He can alter his appearance however he pleases.
You guys can see him…?

He can’t hurt you anymore.

Why you gotta be so obtuse?
Tell us the purpose of your disguise.

Hey, don’t get the wrong idea. I’m not the one who wanted that. Chihiro Morimura is.
Our teacher?
She wanted to transplant my memory backups into you. Whatever she could do to match your personality with mine. But Tamao Kurabe didn’t like the idea. She created a new personality… The one you have now.
But… you were using video tapes to alter my memories…
Yeah, well. The backups weren’t meshing with your simulated personality. You almost had a breakdown, man. So I decided to turn ‘em into something a little more concrete. Something your current self would understand. You should thank me for saving your rear end.
…Somehow, I find that hard to believe.

Well, if Morimura’s plan did work out… There’d just be another copy of me running around. Besides, I don’t wanna be left watching over your unstable mess.

426…
For better or worse… She’s given up on the Sentinel project. Her interest in Juro Kurabe has waned.
…But the Sentinel project is the only option we have.

Then what can? You’re talking as if you know the answer.
I do. I’ve found an effective means for our survival. Would you like to hear it?

I know who programmed it. It was a certain someone named Tsukasa Okino, back in 2188.
2188…?
It’s hard to believe from looking at you now… But he was quite the sloppy programmer. When he designed the environment management system… He borrowed a portion of it from something else. That particular portion contains the D-Code. It’s what’s summoning the kaiju. That part of the code was never supposed to be accessed. But, well… it was.

Music: Double Bind (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

A Deimos game…?

That’s how the kaiju are being produced?

It’s not a coincidence, you know.

But just imagine…

We’ve had limited control over it so far.

Wait… you’re not…

Hold on a second…

Goddammit, this loving game!!!! They just justified the gameplay contrivances! God drat you crazy bastards!

I don’t need your help anymore. Sorry for wasting your time.
Do you have any proof of your claims?

There was a log on it, but it’s gone.

Oh, right! Hijiyama saw that log!

*shock*

Hijiyama-kun…

*shock*

Idol in orbit? Guess that’s Miyuki Inaba… Man, this scene is bringing in all kinds of stuff from other stories.

I need to get going.
What…?

He can’t do a thing.

You’re…

Your Yakisoba Pan Angel, yes, we know.

Music: The One (Kikuchi Yukinori)

Did you walk through tar to get here?

Wait, when did Fluffy get he—oh gently caress me, is he also Juro!?

Foul-mouthed cat.

Don’t worry about erasing his memory.
What? But then…
What are you talking about?

I won’t erase your memories either.

She’s the one who’s been cooperating with him.

Hijiyama. Respond, please. I need you to open it. Can you hear me!?

Music: UNPREDICTABLE (Yoshimi Kudo)

Yakushiji!?

Hijiyama… Open the B2 airlock.
I’m afraid I can’t do that.
……
You’re well aware of the reason.

The vitals detected by your suit tell me otherwise.
……
I’m so sorry, Yakushiji.
Fine. I may be infected… But my daughter isn’t. Please, check her.
It’s true, she’s not showing any signs of infection just yet…
So you’ll let her in, right? Please!
Unfortunately… she is likely still in the incubation period.
Just save my daughter, I’m begging you!
It’s not a risk we can afford to take.
You and I… we’re comrades, aren’t we? We’ve been to hell and back together. If it’s the last thing I ask of you… Please, Hijiyama…
I’m sorry, Yakushiji. You must understand…
……

Music: A Brave Gene (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

Major Izumi…
Izumi-san… I had a feeling you would say that. So I’ve sealed the airlock on my end. I can’t allow you to infect this colony.
Don’t jump to conclusions. I’m the one getting out. I’ll grab a shuttle and retrieve his daughter. We’ll give it 24 hours. If she does turn out to be infected… Then we’ll never return. Simple as that.
…I can’t accept this.
It’s an order, Hijiyama.

In the meantime, you’ll need to return to the pod you came here in. Are you all right with that?

I get it now.

Music: The One (Kikuchi Yukinori)

But I do remember what it was about. And as long as you have my memories… I don’t need to explain a thing, do I?

‘Course not. I want in on the action too.
And yet… You’re entrusting it all to me.

In the end, you’re still Juro. Just like me. I’ve accepted it.

A swarm of helicopters fly by, obscured by the sun.

Piloting a Sentinel takes a helluva lot of brainpower. If your nanomachines are focused on that… There won’t be much processing power left. In other words… I won’t be able to talk to you anymore.

You know what needs to be done. The rest… is up to you.

I guess I’ll be going, then.
Right.

And with that, Shiba disappears one last time. I guess it’s cool that he turned out to be cool and all, but didn’t he… kill many people?

Activate Sentinel

Music: Dawn of the Sentinels (Yoshimi Kudo)

Whew. A lot happened there, huh? Let’s just jump right into the Mystery Files to sort some of that out.

Good thing they make spacesuits for eight-year-olds, I guess.

One thing I never noticed about this Shadow 426 mockup… dude’s kinda got a great rear end.

I cannot believe it’s literally a video game, this is the dumbest thing ever, this game rules.

We can do the third area of Destruction now.

Or we can unlock Megumi.

That’s all for Juro, though. But we’ve got a few changes to make to the board, so let’s get on that.

We’ve got a bunch of stuff to remove from the “Mysteries” section.

We’ve already figured out the nature of the time travel shenanigans (because it wasn’t time travel). We also get rid of “Another Dimension?” because that’s been resolved to my satisfaction as well.

Kyuta Shiba is no longer a mystery.

Neither is 426, for that matter.

We also know what Fluffy is.

Over in The Web of Despair, we’ve completed work on The Juro Zone!!!!! Every Juro linked to every other Juro!

We’ve also got the 2188 section built out a bit. We’ve added “Infection?” and “Izumi saved Megumi (Comrade’s daughter)”, and linked the former to the cataclysm that ended the world, because that seems pretty likely.

And here’s the board at present.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This part of the game ruled, I was grinning like an idiot as they just straight up made the Destruction mechanics completely diegetic.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
From way back before Destruction 1-1:

Arist posted:

Chapter 13: Destruction 0

…What, a refit? Right now?
Sort of. This is one of the meta-systems we managed to analyze. Basically, we can use those Meta-Chips you earn in battle. With those, we can make some serious improvements to our armaments, and the Sentinels themselves. You might even be able to make some brand-new armaments on the fly…
That’s amazing, Okino…! Why didn’t you tell me sooner?
Well, I haven’t even tested it yet. I didn’t have a way to confirm it. But hey, no time like the present. So let’s give it a try.

Not sure why Hijiyama needed a refresher since he was there as well, but then, he is Hijiyama.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is peak 13 Sentinels and why I so enjoyed playing it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This twist is so ridiculous and so, so perfect.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Wait, wait...so 've been sitting here this whole time trying to figure out when and where the Destruction segments were taking place and the answer the whole time was "In a video game, actaully" :psyboom: :psyboom: :psyboom:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, of course it's been a video game the whole time, it's on a Playstation

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Actually, the system it's for seems to be the VS4, so clearly it's a VlayStation :colbert:

This was just posted on the official Atlus Twitter like, 5 min ago

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1532867225920540673?s=20&t=eouS2uJXSk6eLmj8zuEvoA

:allears:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I just finished reading the thread start to finish.

Jesus H. Christ.

Arist, when everything is said and done, what I really want to see is which character on the corkboard winds up with the least amount of connections. Who is the simplest character?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

From way back before Destruction 1-1:

Not sure why Hijiyama needed a refresher since he was there as well, but then, he is Hijiyama.

Hijiyama just wanted an excuse to tell his bae that he's smart and amazing and to hear the sound of his voice explaining things, probably.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

confirmed: videogames ruin everything

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Happy Landfill posted:

Wait, wait...so 've been sitting here this whole time trying to figure out when and where the Destruction segments were taking place and the answer the whole time was "In a video game, actaully" :psyboom: :psyboom: :psyboom:

The Destruction segments are happening the time it's always been said they're happening - after everything else.

The Deimos are literally built out of video game mechanics.
So the Meta-Chip upgrade system is hacking the upgrade system from that game into the Sentinels.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

bewilderment posted:

The Destruction segments are happening the time it's always been said they're happening - after everything else.
drat, I don't remember this being said but it's probably been a while.

Definitely going to have to play this for myself once the LP is over :downs:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Happy Landfill posted:

drat, I don't remember this being said but it's probably been a while.

Definitely going to have to play this for myself once the LP is over :downs:

I'm not sure it's ever explicitly stated outside of the Event Archive, it's just a thing you're meant to infer. It took me a stupid amount of time to figure out when I first played this, as well.

Also, update incoming.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 94: Iori Fuyusaka 7 (FINAL)

Music: Bright Days Ahead (Azusa Chiba)

Uh, yeah! Good idea. You can choose, Miwako.
…… Is something wrong, Usami-chan? First you helped me look for that record… And now this.

Oh come on, don’t overthink it. I just figured, y’know… You know all the best places to go.

Might this be after Universal Control altered Miwako’s memories? That would explain why Tomi’s being so accommodating…

Hmm… Are you sure?
Huh?
Are you sure it’s okay for me to decide?
Of course!
In that case…

Yes, is that okay?

What do you feel like today, Miwa-chan?

I thought those places didn’t open till late.
They don’t, but you can still order yakitori for take-out. I’ve been wanting to try it forever!

It’s hot off the grill, and charred just right…

You’re right… People are giving us looks.
They say high school girls can get away with anything… But this is embarrassing.
Just try a bite, Usami-chan.

I love the sauce.

Do you have something to tell us, Iori-chan?

Don’t think we can’t tell.
*blushing* What are you guys talking about?
Come on, spill the beans.

Are you not going to tell us what happened with your crush? We have a right to know!

Don’t tell me… You just ran up to him and confessed.
*blushing* Uhhh…

Use Ei Sekigahara on Miwako Sawatari

Of all people…
You know him, Usami-chan?
Well, uh… Let’s just say you should stay away from that guy.
Why?
He’s not a normal high school kid. He’s involved in some shady business…
……

I know our ways of life are worlds apart.
*shock*
It may be dangerous. It may be stupid…

It’s both of those things!

But I can’t stop how I feel.

Oh jesus, speak of the devil!

Music: STAGNATION (Yoshimi Kudo)

Come with me.
Wha? But…
You… What do you want with Iori?
Tomi Kisaragi… There’s no time to explain.

Classic line, A+ for delivery.

Just come. Please, Fuyusaka.

If you need to go, then go!
R-Right!

Huh?
The premonitions you told me about.
Yes…
They’re not actually premonitions. They’re the memories of Chihiro Morimura.
Our teacher?
You received them in a memory transplant.
No way…
Future technology does have that capability.
You mean… Ms. Morimura is from the future?
Correct. Just as you saw in your dreams.
If that’s true…

Kurabe? You’re acquainted with Tamao-san?
Tamao? No… I meant Juro Kurabe, from my class.
Juro… So that’s it.
Why did I have a memory transplant?
If I had to guess— No. It’s better you hear it from her directly.
From Ms. Morimura?
We’ll be seeing her soon.

……
What is it?
Um… Hey, Sekigahara-kun…

All right, this is a little cute, mostly by virtue of how silly and petty it is compared to the main plot.

You people really need to learn to take those pills with some water.

……

Music: UNPREDICTABLE (Yoshimi Kudo)

You know… I grew up just like you.

Well… 80 years into the future, that is.

Just as you saw in your dreams… This town will come under attack by the Deimos.
If those dreams were Ms. Morimura’s memories… That’s why you both came here, right? To fight the kaiju…

Huh? Didn’t 426 also say something like that last time?

At this point, it’s up to us.
Us…?

You’re one of them. But…

Huh?

……
The city may go down, but it won’t take us with it. 16 more years should be enough time to prepare. We’ll win next time.

Use Miwako Sawatari on Ei Sekigahara

And so are my parents. What would happen to them?
They’ll be attacked by the Deimos, and that’ll be it.

Chihiro Morimura came here from Sector 1. You’re no different.
*chuckle* Oh, come on.
……
They’re my family…
If you decide to stay here, you’ll perish along with them.
…… I don’t have a choice, do I? In that case, I’ll do it. Just like in my dreams. I’ll fight and protect everyone!
And how do you plan on doing that?
……

But I expect you’ll have his help.
You mean Kurabe-kun? What about you? Won’t you be fighting too?

I can’t afford to stay around.
Oh…
That’s the kind of guy I am. I don’t deserve your love. Do you get it now?
……

Ei-kun… Um… Well…

Oh, there she is. And she’s wearing the catsuit that inexplicably allows her to show off everything at the same time. Your spine must ache, lady.

She looks just like in my dreams…

Why did you bring her here?
To expose your secrets. She has a right to know.

……
Go on. Tell her.
……

Use Strange Dreams on Ms. Morimura

Music: Cognitive Dissonance (Rikako Watanabe)

Are my dreams really your memories? Why would you do such a thing?
If you’re not going to talk, I’ll do it.

What!? Well, that does line up with 426 saying she was trying to do the same thing to Juro...

She was trying to assume your identity.
Fine. I’ll explain.

Oh, this better be good.

But things have changed.

Off to a bad start, Morimura.

Oh?
Operation Aegis is all we have left.

What’s going to happen to me?
Well, I hadn’t gotten to the final step. You’ll continue on as Iori Fuyusaka. You do carry my memories within you…

Thanks to him, my memories are nothing but dreams to you.
You mean… the Kurabe-kun I saw in my dreams?
426… Did you perform a memory transplant on him too?

If it were up to me… I would have changed him back into the old Izumi-kun.

This is getting mighty confusing with all the different versions of Juro running around. I think they’re only ever talking about versions of 426 here, not the current Juro Izumi/Kurabe from this loop. Basically, 426 prevented Morimura from taking over Iori… somehow, probably involving nanomachines. Not quite sure what Ei is asking in regards to performing a memory transplant on 426, or Morimura mentioning “his current state.” We know she tried to give Juro Kurabe née Izumi 426’s memories, but I’m not sure if that’s even what’s being referred to here. If she is only referring to 426 here and not Juro Kurabe, then “the old Izumi-kun” must be the Izumi she knew before he became 426… right?

Your memories just hit me. I understand how you feel…
……
Is that why you transplanted the memories of Tamao Kurabe?

Oh, right, someone transplanted Tamao’s memories, too.

It can’t be. Tell me your real objective.

Yes, I transplanted memories into Tamao Kurabe and Shu Amiguchi. I had to deliver on a promise I made.

So that explains Shu’s deal as well…

But there has to be a reason they were compatible. That’s what I need to know. That’s why I called you here.
……
Tell me.

When the reset occurred… The world that I was in was taken over. At that time… the real me died.
Then what are you now?
An illusion produced by Universal Control. That’s all that’s left of me.

How did that happen? Isn’t Sector 0 supposed to prevent that? Going there allows you to escape to the next world.
The concept of living through a reset is something of a misunderstanding. In short, it’s not possible.

Wait, what?

Sector 0 is unique. Going there is not akin to a typical sector shift. Instead, it scanned me in as data. And with that data… Universal Control did its work. It created a perfect replica of me in the next world.

…Holy poo poo.

What plan?
The plan made in the year 2188 to continue the species. But I’m no longer a part. I’m nothing but a doll, held captive in the five sectors. I’m incapable of fulfilling my mission.

…In that single Gouto event we saw, didn’t it mention that Morimura lost “compatibility”? Maybe that’s somehow related to this…

So you turned to the version of you who was born into this world. Iori Fuyusaka. In time, she and you would be one and the same. That’s how you planned to reclaim your humanity.
Sekigahara-kun… I gather you intended to make use of Sector 0 as well.
You would be correct.
And you planned to put a stop to Operation Aegis, didn’t you?

Are you going to shoot me right here and now?

This world would be cut off from Universal Control. What would become of you then?
Data stored in Sector 0 can function independently of UC.

Human or not.

Wow… trying to save her own skin? Man, all the adults in this game kind of suck. Even the ones who are just other versions of the protagonists! Which is basically all of them except, like, Onishi!

I know this is a serious moment and all, but I’ve been holding this in for too long: Ei kinda runs like a putz.

Now there’s a spirited running animation!

I’ll protect you. Let’s do this together.
……

Music: A Cruel Thesis (Yoshimi Kudo)

Consider Sentinel No. 15

(Ei-kun’s Sentinel… No. 15.)

First you show up at school all of a sudden… And then you pull me away to a place like this?

Whoa, dude!

Oh, he was looking for that. Okay.

Also, looks like it did matter where Megumi shot people.

Whoa… What is that?
An activation switch. It’s used to call your Sentinel. Don’t move.

That’s all I need to do. I registered my Sentinel. Sentinel No. 15. It’s a robot used to fight the Deimos. It was mine… But it’s in better hands with you. I really was worthless in the end.
Don’t say that.
Fuyusaka, I…
…?
Never mind. It’s nothing. Just… forget what Morimura said, all right? Believe in yourself.

(I’m going to believe in myself now. Mom… Dad… Miwa-chan and the rest… I can do it. I can protect you all… It’s time!)

Activate Sentinel

Music: Dawn of the Sentinels (Yoshimi Kudo)

Ha!

And that’s Iori’s story complete.

3 down, 10 to go.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 6, 2022

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I don't know why, but I find Iori's "I'm a schoolgirl with a giant robot" really funny. You go girl.

random musings: which year was sector 1 again?
:v: And is there any protagonist actually 'natively' from 1985? :v: (I think it's Shu, Nenji, Natsuno and Yuki)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Omobono posted:

I don't know why, but I find Iori's "I'm a schoolgirl with a giant robot" really funny. You go girl.

:v: And is there any protagonist actually 'natively' from 1985? :v: (I think it's Shu, Nenji, Natsuno and Yuki)

We've seen a young Ida in 2025. Generally speaking each sector has three native pilots in it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Omobono posted:

The Sectors count backwards from the one furthest in the "future." So Sector 1 is 2089-2105, Sector 2 is 2049-2065, Sector 3 is 2009-2025, Sector 4 is 1969-1985, and Sector 5 is 1929-1945. We've already seen this in the Mystery Files (Miura 7).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

But there has to be a reason they were compatible. That’s what I need to know. That’s why I called you here.

You missed a line break after this line btw.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Omobono posted:

Those screenshots were how I was initially introduced to this game so I'm happy to finally see this bit in context

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 7, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Iori's route is usually singled out as the weakest one by a lot of people. I can't say I disagree but I don't think it's a bad one, per se.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

It’s a bit disjointed but that last line more than makes up for it.

I don’t know if this is has been already answered or not, but: this isn’t the first time someone has mentioned that it is no longer possible to loop. Do we know why this is? Or is that spoiler territory?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MachuPikacchu posted:

It’s a bit disjointed but that last line more than makes up for it.

I don’t know if this is has been already answered or not, but: this isn’t the first time someone has mentioned that it is no longer possible to loop. Do we know why this is? Or is that spoiler territory?

I am pretty sure it hasn't been explained why looping is no longer an option.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I already announced it in my P5R thread because he was also in that game, but Billy Kametz, VA for Nenji, tragically passed from cancer this week. Might do something in the next update to acknowledge that, idk yet.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
He truly was the most punchable face in the city :(

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

His diagnosis was pretty grim so I'm not terribly surprised but that's still incredibly heartbreaking for his family. Was kind of hoping he would pull through :smith:

Edit: He was one of the invited guests to the con I work guest staff at and he pulled out last minute, only to announce his diag a week after our con ended. We all joked (before we knew the truth of it) "oh no, Johnny Young Bosch is going to have to do the Promare panel all by himself now lol" and now that is exceedingly less funny. JYB also lost a close family member recently, too.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 12, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Juro Kurabe’s Juro Kurabe event has been completed. Juro Kurabe.

Chapter 95: Megumi Yakushiji 6

We haven’t done a Megumi chapter since 60. Let’s see what she’s been up to.

Music: Staring Into The Void (Yoshimi Kudo)

Use Spatula on Kitchen

Time to cook some Hamburg steak.

You’re awake. Just in time for dinner.

……

Music: Deafening Silence (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

You knew about this? That these dreams are really his memories?

Please tell me.
……

Consider Juro’s Memories

(His memories haven’t returned yet. Is what Fluffy’s been doing really working? I hope so…)

Use Juro Izumi on Juro Kurabe

Why are you saying that?
It’s all I can say.

My grandma?
Please, don’t ask me anything else. I won’t be able to continue staying here if you do.
*annoyed scoff*

Consider Tamao Kurabe

So this is where you went.

Hm. I suppose this is technically the first time we’ve met. I’m Tamao Kurabe.

Wh-What do you want?
I know you have feelings for Juro.

You desire to be by his side, do you not?
Oh, well… Of course I do.
Then you will do just that. I’ll make the arrangements.
…What?

Music: Bittersweet Sorrow (Composer: Azusa Chiba, Arranger: Kikuchi Yukinori)

First… You will treat him as Juro Kurabe.
Huh…?
You must not tell him anything about the future. Or about himself.
But why?
It’s the only way to keep him safe.
I don’t understand.
Can you do it? Can you treat him only as Juro Kurabe?
Well, I…

If he starts to remember he is Juro Izumi… You must tell me immediately.
But he is… Why would that be bad?
It would be dangerous if he became Juro Izumi. Very dangerous… The reasons are unimportant.

That’s not suspicious at all!

If you agree to these two conditions… You can live with him.
……

Megumi doesn’t need to think twice.

How wonderful.

These documents make it legal for you to live with him.

I’ll tell Morimura-san of our arrangement myself. Please, go to Juro now.

Hey, Megumi? I’m just wondering why you never found it weird that this woman you’d never met with the same name as Juro’s grandmother gave you a rental agreement without telling Juro about it? Seems a little strange, to me.

Eh, maybe it’s just motivated reasoning.

Poor Megumi.

God, you got it bad, girl.

Oh, yes.

For quite a while at this point, I might add.

Has there been any change?

Music: Something’s Fishy (Kikuchi Yukinori)

Any confusion about being Juro Izumi?
…… What makes you ask that?
It sounds like you know something.
Don’t tell me…

*shock*

Is something wrong? You look pale.

Wait… we saw this… quite recently, in fact…

*silent shock*
The way I am now is… something you created.
What’s this all of a sudden?
I get it now… The woman who keeps showing up in my dreams… The one I saw on Sumire Bridge… It’s not Fuyusaka-san. It’s you. Chihiro Morimura.

Have you been aware this whole time?

Thanks, random passerby, for getting in the way of this shot.

Juro backs away from Ms. Morimura.

Hmmm… I don’t know.

Oh, hey Fluffy. You sure did appear out of nowhere.

Won’t other people see?

Music: The Chills (Yoshimi Kudo)

That idiot. He got too close to some dangerous people.
Dangerous?
Those who use magic for their own means. You went there before. The abandoned factory in Higoromo-cho. They’re going to alter his memories.

Oh, like you’ve been doing? Don’t really see the issue, then.

Fluffy begins to fade.

Dammit… He’s getting too far…

I knew he wasn’t real.

Through the walls, a muffled *chunk* sound can be heard. It’s the sound of the nanomachine injector—the magical gun.

Okino!?

Through the walls, Hijiyama’s voice rings out, then the same sound again, before Hijiyama collapses.

You know Fluffy?
…Fluffy?
Don’t worry. He can make you better.

This is getting uncomfortable in about eight different ways.

……
You’re starting to recognize what’s in your dreams, aren’t you? Do you remember me?
It’s not exactly like that.

Music: Hard Pill to Swallow (Kikuchi Yukinori)

*gasp*

The things I saw in my dreams…

*gasp*

I was so afraid that… That I’d hurt you again.

Little late for that, Juro!

There’s no trace of him inside you? *fighting back tears* No…

I… I’m such an idiot…

Well, yes, but there’s plenty of that to go around in this game.

Yakushiji…
That cat. What was the point!?

And so, Megumi just found out she got duped and everything she was put through was meaningless. Well, at least to the goal of getting her Juro back. Poor thing.

The only update to any Mystery Files for this event (at least, regarding files we have unlocked) concerns the rental agreement, of all things.

But there’s a couple more things I wanted to check from this event…

What happens if you reject Tamao’s offer?

I see… That is unfortunate.

Just like with Fluffy’s offer, it’s not a real choice, obviously. But speaking of that, I was also wondering what was up with this scene in another way. Was this the Tamao android being controlled by the former Tamao Kurabe, or was it the Tamao android being controlled by 426? For this, we’ll need to check the order of events in the Event Archive.

As you can see here, the event where Tamao is replaced by 426, “Exterminator”, takes place after “A Promise to Tamao”, meaning that this was, in fact, the Tamao android. I guess Fluffy was just taking advantage of Tamao’s decision and not actually planning that bit out. Though now that I think about it, it would have to have been Tamao’s decision, because I can’t really see 426 convincing Morimura to go along with this without blowing his cover.

Finally, this probably won’t play well with the archive, but Billy Kametz, voice of Nenji, passed away this week, so I’d just like to pay respects here. You were incredible, man.

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

So Megumi got exactly what she wanted: Juro Kurabe has the memories of Juro Izumi. It's like a monkey's paw made of nanomachines.