Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

How do people even find these, jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Sometimes TF2 YouTubers need new materials and enlist their fan base to find weird things. Most are built off of older exploits that had edge cases that weren’t tested against.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
"exploit found by sketchek"

lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Looking into that is how I found out that apparently Sketchek deleted all of his videos and is probably a vTuber now?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't know about any of that, I'm just laughing at crediting finding an exploit to the guy who faked having a terminal illness for attention

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Otacon posted:

How do people even find these, jesus

it's actually pretty logical, assuming it works the way I think it does.

flamethrower flames are actually slow projectiles that dissipate after a short duration. most people know this. presumably, they take some of the pyro's velocity if he fires them while moving. I don't know this for sure, but it would make some sense and explain why WM1 can actually hit people who are running away from you.

with those two facts, the implications are clear: making pyro move faster will extend the range of the flames by making them travel faster and cover a greater distance before expiring. Okay, how do you make pyro move faster while still being able to use flames? Well, you don't, not reliably, pyro can only gain burst speed off of secondary weapons and enemy projectiles, the first of while doesn't let him shoot his flamethrower and the second of which is painful and requires someone on the other team. And neither of them last long enough to be meaningful, anyway, and increased range doesn't matter too much when you're also flying directly at someone.

What if there was a way to trick the game into thinking he was moving fast while he's actually standing still? Trap him in that weird half-falling state that everyone has seen someone stuck in at least once in the 15 years the game has been out. Does that work? Apparently. Would that allow the effects to stack indefinitely? Apparently.

I don't know if it has to be the backburner or if they just chose the most offensively powerful flamethrower that isn't the phlog(which might not work due to having different flames or may have been rejected on humanitarian grounds).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I bet the pholg's taunt would either not work while airborne or would cancel the boost.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Not to mention other glitches involving "accumulating velocity while stuck" were already well known (like engineers shooting themselves with the wrangler while stuck on a teleporter then launching themselves at lightspeed when destroying said teleporter), so it was more about discovering spots in the map were you could get into the same state and thinking up ways to take advantage of it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
so is it bugged or did they change picking up intel with quickfix? i've had like 3 games where some pocketed heavy just walks in with quikfix, grabs intel, and walks out. I thought you couldn't grab intel or capture while that was going?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Are you talking about the Megaheal Uber or just being healed? Pretty sure it's only under Megaheal that blocks capping objectives. If it's just normal pocketing they can capture objectives like normal.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Araxxor posted:

Are you talking about the Megaheal Uber or just being healed? Pretty sure it's only under Megaheal that blocks capping objectives. If it's just normal pocketing they can capture objectives like normal.

nah they were getting the uber

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Man the number of human cheaters seems to be way up on Virginia servers. Ive had multiple games with teams of human cheaters, some obvious, some a little more subtle.

I had a team of snipers shouting racist crap (they all had 1488 in their name). I tried to kick them then immediately got targeted. I ended up just immediately leaving because there’s no point.

I had a soldier who seemed like he was wall hacking and would prefire and immediately switch and hit you for full damage reserve shooter before you even popped up into the air. 1/2 the time he wasn’t even fully around the corner when he did it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Man the number of human cheaters seems to be way up on Virginia servers. Ive had multiple games with teams of human cheaters, some obvious, some a little more subtle.

I had a team of snipers shouting racist crap (they all had 1488 in their name). I tried to kick them then immediately got targeted. I ended up just immediately leaving because there’s no point.

I had a soldier who seemed like he was wall hacking and would prefire and immediately switch and hit you for full damage reserve shooter before you even popped up into the air. 1/2 the time he wasn’t even fully around the corner when he did it.

Why any sane man would touch casual during a non Halloween time of the year is beyond me

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Why any sane man would touch casual during a non Halloween time of the year is beyond me

I wanted to mess around with some maps that aren’t played on Uncletopia. Much to my own chagrin.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I wanted to mess around with some maps that aren’t played on Uncletopia. Much to my own chagrin.

At this point Uncletopia has added almost every Casual mode map into the rotation

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

After a legitimately fun 2fort on Uncletopia, I was sad to find that !nominate tc_hydro is not a valid command.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alpenglow posted:

After a legitimately fun 2fort on Uncletopia, I was sad to find that !nominate tc_hydro is not a valid command.

Its because certain specific maps like it and DeGroot Keep are reserved for the "Mystery Map" pool

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth

Alpenglow posted:

You can't even vote for badlands, like what the gently caress! I don't want koth I want 5cp!!!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

A For Effort posted:

You can't even vote for badlands, like what the gently caress! I don't want koth I want 5cp!!!

The uncle servers have different map pools on each server. IIRC there's all maps, koth/5cp, and pl/a+d servers.

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The uncle servers have different map pools on each server. IIRC there's all maps, koth/5cp, and pl/a+d servers.

I've never seen badlands ever as an option.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Uncletopia QCS

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So for various reasons I hooked up my Xbox 360 up for the first time in forever and for shits and giggles decided to see what the selection still is in it's store(not as bad as you'd think considering nothing new has probably been added since 2015) and surprisingly The Orange Box can still be bought on there, what makes it funny is that in the sample images you can tell whoever at Valve was assigned to provide them for Microsoft didn't give a poo poo as they're all super low res and all the TF2 ones are from the beta period before the final style was fully realized(Scout still has the nail gun fot example)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
the 360 version never got patched iirc so it's a great time

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

From what I've seen of it it feels a little bit slower overall than PC. Like every single thing happens maybe 10% slower than I'm used to.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoihKMRNxLE

i wish these kinda things were more popular so i could play them. i really like when people tinker with poo poo like this

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ArfJason posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoihKMRNxLE

i wish these kinda things were more popular so i could play them. i really like when people tinker with poo poo like this
Doesn't Fishstick also run a balance mod server? Is it the same one, or a different project?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

Doesn't Fishstick also run a balance mod server? Is it the same one, or a different project?

He does, his uses a personal one he's devised, I'll dig up the document for it when I'm at a real computer again

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

He does, his uses a personal one he's devised, I'll dig up the document for it when I'm at a real computer again

here's the document, goes over the balance changes and includes the IP addresses for his servers; https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y1SK46KSy6Bp8Mw7iHRWoTbU24sLCFJ1tp8YqJk1X64/edit

also his newest video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXZwW4NuOOQ

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

here's the document, goes over the balance changes and includes the IP addresses for his servers; https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y1SK46KSy6Bp8Mw7iHRWoTbU24sLCFJ1tp8YqJk1X64/edit

also his newest video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXZwW4NuOOQ

thanks bunches, i love reading/seeing these kinds of things, so ill just dive into it lol
heres balancemods changelog and poo poo to compare
https://www.balancemod.tf/moddedweapons/
https://www.balancemod.tf/balance/

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Some folks kicked off a #SaveTF2 campaign to try and pressure Valve into actually handling their bot problem, and someone actually found the password to the TF2 Twitter account down the sofa

https://twitter.com/TeamFortress/status/1529970640224018433

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i was gonna post about the campaign yesterday but i felt so pessimistic about it i decided not to lol glad to be proven wrong

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
hopefully it gets valve to actually do something and not just tell a social media intern to go say some empty platitudes

not just being snarky, i really do hope it happens

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It would be cool to enjoy TF2 again.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Jabor posted:

hopefully it gets valve to actually do something and not just tell a social media intern to go say some empty platitudes

not just being snarky, i really do hope it happens

I mean, I definitely hope so too. But I'm amused by how, "Valve composing a single tweet" has generally been taken as a major victory. The bar is real low.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I feel if Valve had no intention to do anything they would have just stayed silent, which would have been bad PR mind you but saying something in an official context and then doing nothing afterwards would be even worse

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm expecting a cursory effort that will either only temporarily solve the problem or, more likely, will somehow make the player experience worse without actually impeding bots at all.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

I'm expecting a cursory effort that will either only temporarily solve the problem or, more likely, will somehow make the player experience worse without actually impeding bots at all.

If anything this happening so closely after the Steam Deck's launch will be good incentive to put some actual effort in, they can't really afford a bunch of bad PR when they are still only partially fulfilling the original batch of reservations, otherwise it could cost them consumer confidence and thus canceled orders

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, given the famous way that Valve does management via office politics instead of clearly communicated expectations and roles, you can't predict anything they do based on the usual incentives.

Will enough valve employees decide this is worth their attention, enough so to gamble their vague-but-paramount reputation of being contributive and productive? If someone with a lot of influence decides it's important, then yeah people will feel pressure to work on it. If not, they'll probably be reluctant to go off and sink time into something hard to measure.

If anything, this weird social media campaign is probably the perfect thing to make TF2 an exciting and visible project again. But the question is how long that will last. My money's on one update with some half-finished fixes and "more to come" that goes Zeno's paradox for a while but never crosses the finish line.

(hi I'm apparently incredibly cynical about Valve these days. I think the last straw was when they absorbed Campo Santo, and In The Valley of Gods was indefinitely shelved.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
literally the only good longterm solution would be people employed specifically to moderate, which will not happen

that said even scraps are good atm