Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

JUDI YOU WERE SOOOOOO CLOSE :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Sophie has been my favorite since episode 1 and she's now in the lead! I really hope she pulls it through after being in 3rd or even 4th for so long, it would be an amazing comeback.

EDIT: Also, Greg has been throwing points at Ardal since it became obvious he's not going to win. He's won almost all of the prize tasks for pretty humdrum entries.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 27, 2022

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Rochallor posted:

Sophie has been my favorite since episode 1 and she's now in the lead! I really hope she pulls it through after being in 3rd or even 4th for so long, it would be an amazing comeback.

EDIT: Also, Greg has been throwing points at Ardal since it became obvious he's not going to win. He's won almost all of the prize tasks for pretty humdrum entries.

Sophie had two great tactics in the final task - having two "spires" on either side of her tower, and staring down anyone who dared throw shoes at it. Both paid off big-time - right up until the final confrontation with Judi. I think friendship won the day in the end...

There is gossip going round about last week's prize task - but bear in mind this is impossible to verify. The story goes that Ardal planned to submit a recording of Liam "Spoony" Neeson for most relaxing thing. After Judi and Sophie pointed out that he's not beloved to the Black community, he replaced it last minute. If all this is true, then maybe Greg's made an allowance for it in the points.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Got this card for my birthday today

I'VE SINNED AGAIN, MON!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This is now my favorite UK TM series.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Very Good Episode. One of the better studio tasks, though to be fair that was in large part due to shoe-throwing ineptitude.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Throwing an irregularly shaped object can't be easy, but I'm sure consummate lad Tony Three Pies could have done it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm surprised how bad the shoe throwing was, although it might also be a thing where the distance is larger than it looks on camera because the angle really compresses the space. Like my instinct would be to heave a shoe rather than throw it (so it doesn't spin in the air), but it might not go far enough doing it that way.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
That Sophie would tie eating her sculpture to the broader goals of feminism was :perfect:

EDIT: Judi got a straight up London Screwjob on that one task, huh?

EDIT: Judi was never going to do that. Sophie wanted it more, and I like that they're close.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 27, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgxB7AC90

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Not actually having seen anything beyond S9 and watching that ^^^clip, Alex Horne seemed to have found the Jeremy Clarkson machine to age 10-15 years in just few seasons.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
How do we feel about Jack Dee doing a TM at some point?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

The_Doctor posted:

How do we feel about Jack Dee doing a TM at some point?

I mean, let me say this first, I don't mind it. And I'll add him to the list, but scanning down the names I think he's less likely to agree to it than most of them.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Is Bridget doing a bit? She seems to randomly go completely insane..

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

I mean, let me say this first, I don't mind it. And I'll add him to the list, but scanning down the names I think he's less likely to agree to it than most of them.
One of the downsides of the format is that it requires quite a bit of time commitment, plus a willingness to take part in a type of activity that isn't the standard comedian job. Thus I think there's a lot of bigger names people would absolutely love but who aren't likely to appear. David Mitchell is a name that often comes up in TM wishlists but more recently he's revealed he's given a hard no to ever appearing:

quote:

"I've been asked and I've said 'no thanks'", explained Mitchell. "It's a very good show but i don't want to be on it. My feeling is that I'd be poo poo but not in a funny way. People think maybe I'd be a good sport about it and I don't think people thinking that will increase if I'm on it. It's like I've been asked to be on Celebrity Mastermind because people think I'd be quite good at that. So why would I do it then. All I can do is ruin it by going on it and turning out to be considerably more ignorant than people expect."
I suspect there's a longer list of names people would love to appear but who have turned it down.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

I suspect there's a longer list of names people would love to appear but who have turned it down.

Firstly, I should say that as soon as we started naming people I immediately reverted into No More Jockeys mode there. But yeah, I think most fans have a list of people we think would be good for future series - including people who probably wouldn't want to do it, or people that we didn't think the show was likely to approach. Bridget was on my list, but I thought she fell into that latter category. Happy to be proved wrong!

Here's an incomplete (but still quite long) list of people I still hope to see:

Josie Long
Lucy Porter
Jessica Hynes
Maeve Higgins
Richard Aoyade
Limmy
Izzy Suttie
Sanjeev Bhaskar
Chris Addison
Matt Berry
Craig Charles
David O'Doherty
The actor Kevin Eldon
Sarah Kameela Impey
Michaela Coel
Tony Robinson

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Heavy_D posted:

Firstly, I should say that as soon as we started naming people I immediately reverted into No More Jockeys mode there. But yeah, I think most fans have a list of people we think would be good for future series - including people who probably wouldn't want to do it, or people that we didn't think the show was likely to approach. Bridget was on my list, but I thought she fell into that latter category. Happy to be proved wrong!

Josie Long
Lucy Porter
Jessica Hynes
Maeve Higgins
Richard Aoyade
Limmy
Izzy Suttie
Sanjeev Bhaskar
Chris Addison
Matt Berry
Craig Charles
David O'Doherty
The actor Kevin Eldon
Sarah Kameela Impey
Michaela Coel
Tony Robinson

Limmy would definitely never, ever do it in a million years but it'd be fun if he did. Can you imagine him on that stage trying to do TV banter?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

stev posted:

Limmy would definitely never, ever do it in a million years but it'd be fun if he did. Can you imagine him on that stage trying to do TV banter?

I know, he lives in Glasgow and is a full-time Twitch streamer, so it would be pretty impractical. But I think he'd be so good in the creative tasks and I think he could sell the prize tasks.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

My dream contestant for a one off New Year's Treat is Penn & Teller, competing together as a single contestant. They've done a surprising amount of British TV over the years including launching Fool Is not too long ago which is somehow still going on the CW. I just think it'd be wacky.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Andy and/or Helen Zaltzman
Sarah Millican
Matt Lucas
Mark Steel
Tom Allan
Susan Calman
Jack Whitehall

Jonathan Ross would interesting on a New Years Treat

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

oh jay posted:

My dream contestant for a one off New Year's Treat is Penn & Teller, competing together as a single contestant. They've done a surprising amount of British TV over the years including launching Fool Is not too long ago which is somehow still going on the CW. I just think it'd be wacky.

A double act special would be really fun actually. Maybe three teams of two?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dick and Dom? The Chuckle Brothers?

Why yes, I do only know of British double acts that have been referenced in this very show.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Oh, how did I leave him off my list, had him in mind a while ago. And I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the other names on your list showed up next series...

Diane Morgan, there's another one that slipped my mind.

One of the things Taskmaster casts have to balance is a mix of old guard comedians and newer up-and-comers. But it's a lot easier to have long lists of the established comedians - coming up with good young comedians is much more of a challenge.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I'd really like to see Rob Bryden do a season, because his comic persona is very confrontational and he tries to exert his authority over the host of every show he does, but not in a self-serious way. I think he'd be a fun foil for Greg and Alex, and probably savage at undercutting his competitors in the studio.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

He'd never do it but Daniel Kitson would be amazing

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

oh jay posted:

The Chuckle Brothers?
Alas it's now The Chuckle Brother. One of them popped his clogs back in 2018, and the other one is 74. They were already old when they were the Chuckle Brothers tv show in the 90s.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Getting Andy Zaltzman on with his combination of competitiveness and physical incompetence would be amazing

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Alas it's now The Chuckle Brother. One of them popped his clogs back in 2018, and the other one is 74. They were already old when they were the Chuckle Brothers tv show in the 90s.

Yeah I feel like they could have Paul as a contestant on his own but there's be something pretty sad about it.

Also holy poo poo they were in their early 30s when ChuckleVision started. They must have been heavy smokers.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Surprised nobody's mentioned Bill Bailey yet.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

stev posted:

Yeah I feel like they could have Paul as a contestant on his own but there's be something pretty sad about it.

Also holy poo poo they were in their early 30s when ChuckleVision started. They must have been heavy smokers.
They were 43 and 44 when ChuckleVision started.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

They were 43 and 44 when ChuckleVision started.

Oh lol I can't read.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Make the queen do it

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Heavy_D posted:

I know, he lives in Glasgow and is a full-time Twitch streamer, so it would be pretty impractical. But I think he'd be so good in the creative tasks and I think he could sell the prize tasks.

They get paid to do it and not all the contestants live in London.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Heavy_D posted:

Josie Long
Lucy Porter
Jessica Hynes
Maeve Higgins
Richard Aoyade
Limmy
Izzy Suttie
Sanjeev Bhaskar
Chris Addison
Matt Berry
Craig Charles
David O'Doherty
The actor Kevin Eldon
Sarah Kameela Impey
Michaela Coel
Tony Robinson

Limmy got rather exasperated by people telling him to go on Taskmaster on his Twitch stream: there's a reaction clip on Youtube somewhere. I think he is utterly over the UK television comedy circuit in general these days.

A lot of comedians who prefer more scripted things on stage and screen would really not care for Taskmaster, I think. David Mitchell has obviously ruled himself out, I think his old partner Robert Webb would feel much the same way, as would people from your list like Richard Aoyade, Jessica Hynes and Michaela Coel.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Paladinus posted:

Oh my god, yes.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

oh jay posted:

Dick and Dom? The Chuckle Brothers?

Why yes, I do only know of British double acts that have been referenced in this very show.

Don't forget Jedward.

Paladinus posted:

Actually surprised he hasn't yet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr Beens posted:

They get paid to do it and not all the contestants live in London.

It's more that he's just not into that sort of show from what I gather. Even when he was on TV he was basically happy just doing his own thing. Other than guest appearances on Charlie Brooker's stuff (surprise no one's mentioned him actually) he's barely ever worked with anyone else. IIRC from his autobiography he's not really comfortable in front of crowds - he just likes doing his daft wee stories/sketches/streams/tweets.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

itry posted:

Actually surprised he hasn't yet.

Before posting I actually vividly imagined him having been on already and had to double-check. He would be a perfect fit.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Paladinus posted:

Before posting I actually vividly imagined him having been on already and had to double-check. He would be a perfect fit.

Yeah, that's why it's kinda surprising. Maybe it's a schedule thing, because it seems like it'd be right up his alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is Bridget doing a bit? She seems to randomly go completely insane..

After listening to her on the taskmaster podcast last week, I am going to say it’s not a bit.