Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

brave of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Pizza technique looks on-point.

I have never had pineapple pizza, so I cannot judge. Something tells me the jalapeño slices are a good direction.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I also took my first stab at making pizza yesterday, a margherita and one with sopressata, mozzarella, basil, our homegrown chiltepin peppers and honey.

Also, new grill 😃

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Also hit the grill this weekend with a few Teriyaki Chicken & Pineapple Kabobs. Served these over rice with the extra teriyaki sauce.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Kabob'd it up this weekend myself, with a soy/worcestershire/brown sugar/lemon/garlic/oil marinade on the meat and some Italian dressing (olive garden, lol) on the veggies.

Served over rice cooked with Sazon Goya, which wasn't nearly as flavorful as I expected but did lend a beautiful red-orange color.

netch-a-sketch
Dec 24, 2019

Chicken stir fry with udon. Added peanuts for crunch.
Stir frys are great because you can fool people into thinking you can cook when all you have to do is throw poo poo in a pan

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Nacho dinner.

mystes
May 31, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Nacho dinner.

but I wish it was

what are you doing for the cheese sauce?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Our cheddar went bad the other day and I tried to convince Mrs. Boitano to let me test sodium citrate on queso fresco for nachos but she wouldn't let me :smith:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Our cheddar went bad the other day and I tried to convince Mrs. Boitano to let me test sodium citrate on queso fresco for nachos but she wouldn't let me :smith:

:sever:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just got some sodium citrate today and want to use it for nachos which is one reason I'm asking actually

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

It works great. For 100g of cheese I use 85g water and 4g sodium citrate. I heat the water and sodium citrate on a stove top pan so I can control the heat and have some retention to help with the consistency. Don't need to boil the queso fresco, but I find I need to add more heat if the cheese is too cold to start.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can also use beer or milk as the liquid for your cheese sauce. And I think Modernist Cook says to whisk it if it’s for a cheese sauce that you want more stringy and use an immersion blender to shear it if it’s to be used for Mac and cheese and the like.

mystes
May 31, 2006

someone give me your nacho recipe please

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'll definitely buy excess chips and cheese next time we're at a store with queso fresco - in this case the pulled pork was her leftovers so she got to dictate whether to wait until more cheddar was acquired.

I haven't used my sodium citrate nearly enough - does it go bad?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm going to sous vide pork for cubanos anyway so maybe I'll use some of that for my own nachos

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

I'll definitely buy excess chips and cheese next time we're at a store with queso fresco - in this case the pulled pork was her leftovers so she got to dictate whether to wait until more cheddar was acquired.

I haven't used my sodium citrate nearly enough - does it go bad?

It will eventually pick up water and turn into a solid mass, but it’s a salt and will be fine if you keep it air tight. You can just smash it up if it turns into a brick, but it is shelf stable unless it gets heated.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

^^^ thanks! Seems fine then.

mystes posted:

someone give me your nacho recipe please

Whatever you do, pickle some red onions. Do a big jar since they last forever in the fridge. That's non-negotiable in my house! Besides that, some meat and/or beans, then cheese*, then bake at whatever temp strikes my fancy. Everything else goes on after they come out of the oven - sliced radish, pickled jalapeño, cilantro.

Pro tip: parchment paper is much more nonstick than aluminum foil or bare pan.

* for something different, slice raw jalapeño thinly and put on top of the cheese. They roast nicely, not all the way chipotle-fied but definitely transformed somehow.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

^^^ thanks! Seems fine then.

Whatever you do, pickle some red onions. Do a big jar since they last forever in the fridge. That's non-negotiable in my house! Besides that, some meat and/or beans, then cheese*, then bake at whatever temp strikes my fancy. Everything else goes on after they come out of the oven - sliced radish, pickled jalapeño, cilantro.

Pro tip: parchment paper is much more nonstick than aluminum foil or bare pan.

* for something different, slice raw jalapeño thinly and put on top of the cheese. They roast nicely, not all the way chipotle-fied but definitely transformed somehow.
thanks

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Once of my weekly dinners is a low carb chicken puttanesca with freshly spiralized zucchini. I don't have the macros handy but it's about as good as you can get using natural ingredients. The carbiest thing in it is the tomatoes. Thanks to the 4 horses in the back yard providing unlimited fertilizer, my herb garden is BOOMING.

It's a fairly time consuming but what isn't? It goes like this.

Gather ingredients.(go ahead and cut the "noodles")

Chicken
tomato paste
fresh tomatoes (if desired)
onion
capers
black olives
~1cup cooked tomato sauce
mushrooms
thyme, basil, oregano, salt, red pepper flake

Cooking it is as easy as making any other dish in a pan. Start by frying off your chicken. I like to toss in some thyme with it to let the hot oil pull that flavor into the dish.

The cuts help these tough rear end godzilla chickens my wife keeps buying. I even braise these later and they still don't get very tender. Also makes it easier to pull later.

Pull the chicken once browned, cook onions/garlic/mushrooms then deglaze with dry wine. Mix in your tomato paste and let everything cook off a little until fragrant. Add your olives, capers, tomatoes and fresh herbs, then mix in the "noodles".

Something to note here: zucchini is about 90% water and it will sweat enough water to turn your sauce into soup. I have found that gently cooking them in a separate pan until a good portion of the water is removed helps a lot. Keep your base as dry as possible because it will continue to sweat water.

Mix in the tomato sauce, cover and simmer until the chicken is (hopefully) tender. Basically braising the chicken the rest of the way done. Top with freshly grated parmesan reggiano.

I cannot stress how important it is to not let the zucchini water the dish down. Also NEVER use frozen ones, they're mush. Freshly made zucchini will get tender but not fall apart.

Let's EAT!

I make a big batch of this at least once a week and get a few meals out of it.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 26, 2022

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

that looks great!!!

a tip for the zucchini: spiralize it then salt the zoodles liberally and leave it on a plate on top of some paper towels for 15-20 minutes while you do your other stuff; when you're ready to cook, give them a gentle squeeze over the sink and a huge volume of that water you're trying to avoid will dump out

i think i'm going to try this next week!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

The kitchenaid Spiralizer is killer. I now use the smaller plate so the pic is dated.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 26, 2022

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Possibly not useful if your spiralizing, but the centre of a zucchini is disproportionately moist: halve the thing lengthways and deseed it with the tip of a teaspoon. I suppose an apple corer might work too, if you’re trying to maintain the tube shape.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Looks like the center of the zucchini is explicitly removed by the spirilizer :)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Oh wow. I don’t own one, does it do that for everything or can you prevent it?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pop that zucchini center right into a cocktail as garnish

mystes
May 31, 2006

Torquemada posted:

Oh wow. I don’t own one, does it do that for everything or can you prevent it?
The center tends to just turn to mush so I think that removing is actually probably better than other spiralizer designs

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Swapped out the mozzarella for pecorino Romano and chopped garlic, and accidentally made something they used to make at my childhood pizza place. Brought back memories. Will do it like this again soon.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Swapped out the mozzarella for pecorino Romano and chopped garlic, and accidentally made something they used to make at my childhood pizza place. Brought back memories. Will do it like this again soon.

I wish I had the talent to bake like that.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

man, that and an ice cold bottle of vinho verde would be paradise right now

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Grill night

https://i.imgur.com/FjWgE3V.mp4

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Tuna steaks and roasted potatoes! I hit them with a little drizzle of black fig vinegar and it was heavenly.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 29, 2022

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Tuna steaks and roasted potatoes! I hit them with a little drizzle of black fig vinegar and it was heavenly.

gently caress me.

And this.

Some gorgeous food there.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Venison quesabirria tacos for later

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Why live in New England if you’re not gonna cook seafood all goddamn weekend?!

Grilled lobsters with garlic & herb butter.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Paella!

And key lime pie

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Molé chicken enchiladas:

I boiled the shredded chicken in a blend of:
* pasila & ancho chilis
* cumin seed
* salt
* pepper
* garlic
* onion
* homemade chicken stock
(at the end, lime juice was added for citrus tang)

then on top:
* queso oaxaca
* coriander leaf garnish

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Got inspired by a trip to Santa Fe last weekend

User Error fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 6, 2022

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fajita night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Made some tuna tartare. Used some lettuce instead of crackers for the most part. Some sticky rice would have been delicious too, I’ll have to do that next time.