Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
So JM held the tribute hunt. He got the prototype for the original casque and key, amassed a treasure of gems, and commissioned the son of the original artist for a new puzzle image.

There is a park in Louisville that many solvers are convinced the treasure is buried in, due to some exact image matches. There are memorial benches throughout the park of a style depicted in the puzzle image.

Two longtime, trusted hunters have taken up a gofundme to get a memorial bench there for JM. They are well over halfway to their goal.

https://gofund.me/dd53c711

JM loved Olmstead parks, and he would love this idea even if it turned out not to be the right park with the treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Respect. I hope he gets it.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
A user on one of the facebook pages posted an image and verse to a little side-hunt he created and launched yesterday that seems to have a fairly straightforward solve and a prize of "about $1000" in old coins. I'm not going to be the "I'm sure I figured it out" guy, but are there any goons west of the Mississippi who want a tip on some treasure? Send me a message.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ride my bike through there once a week will definitely be sure to sit my rear end on that bad boy.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person
Are you one of these three searchers?

If you are, if you are please reach out. I have a couple of questions.

https://i.imgur.com/YpFOsOy.png

https://m.imgur.com/ygIDMPF

https://m.imgur.com/hdSwaBf

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Drunk Nerds posted:

There is a park in Louisville that many solvers are convinced the treasure is buried in, due to some exact image matches. There are memorial benches throughout the park of a style depicted in the puzzle image.

JM loved Olmstead parks, and he would love this idea even if it turned out not to be the right park with the treasure.

I have dug all over/around Cherokee to no avail. At this point its so many years past burial that there aren't going to be any ground clues to the digspot exactly. Given how open the park is/was (at least pre-covid) its impressive they found a spot to bury it that wasn't noticeable from one of the many paths/walkways...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Did we solve the 31 year old unsolved treasure hunt?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

Yes. The treasure was the friends we made along the way.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Arrhythmia posted:

39 year old now

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
This thread is infinitely less depressing than The star citizen one though

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

i found it yesterday. it was in a pretty clever location. never would have guessed.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This drat ground is too cold to dig

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Congrats to the guy who wrote the original book, not many people have taunted potentially hundreds of people until they basically developed schizophrenia.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Snowy posted:

This drat ground is too cold to dig

instead of digging into cold ground trying raising the ground around it up. just a little tip from me the guy who found the treasue

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Olewithmilk posted:

Congrats to the guy who wrote the original book, not many people have taunted potentially hundreds of people until they basically developed schizophrenia.

He's dead.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Jubs posted:

He's dead.

It’s true. His corpse was right next to the treasure when I found it. He thought people would find it in only 2 days.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s true. His corpse was right next to the treasure when I found it. He thought people would find it in only 2 days.

I read about i in the news... crazy stuff

but congrats nonetheless

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I only briefly dipped into this thread like two years ago and there was this one dude who kept on dropping hints about his brilliant "solves" and trying to find people in other countries to PM to get to do some digging for him and jealously guarding his brilliant insights.

It was hilarious and weird and definitely schizophrenia

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Remind me to fabricate a wild goose chase for an imaginary treasure before I die

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The Alchemist posted:

Remind me to fabricate a wild goose chase for an imaginary treasure before I die

I don't think this is what he did, but that's actually a really loving funny idea to make a high-stakes nationwide version of the old "pigs labeled 1,2, and 4" prank.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Hazo posted:

I don't think this is what he did, but that's actually a really loving funny idea to make a high-stakes nationwide version of the old "pigs labeled 1,2, and 4" prank.

I am not familiar with that prank, please explain it.

.random
May 7, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

I am not familiar with that prank, please explain it.

Release pigs (or rats) numbered 1, 2, and 4. Eventually people find them all… and then go crazy looking for the (nonexistent) one that must have been numbered 3.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Olewithmilk posted:

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

ante posted:

I only briefly dipped into this thread like two years ago and there was this one dude who kept on dropping hints about his brilliant "solves" and trying to find people in other countries to PM to get to do some digging for him and jealously guarding his brilliant insights.

It was hilarious and weird and definitely schizophrenia

I hope you're remembering SA poster Urban Smurf, who is great.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Urban Smurf come back please

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Snowy posted:

Urban Smurf come back please

for real.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Are you kidding, those wrists are too damaged to ever type again

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Are you kidding, those wrists are too damaged to ever type again

Wrong goon

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
So... it's safe to say this search is finally over then? Nothing is being found. There's some talk that things were -- but "official" places aren't agreeing, etc.

So... it's over, right? Wrap it up, right?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m not saying it’s over until urban Smurf says it’s over

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

make urban smurf a mod

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

There are a couple of spots in NYC I want to poke around and maybe dig, but I really don't expect to find anything

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Wierd I was just thinking of this thread today and BAM here it is. Nothing else to input but it was some fascinating and fun stuff.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Hey. Did we solve it?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I solved it. It was the friends we made along the way.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
when they opened it up there was a smaller 31 year old unsolved treasure hunt inside

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

its 31 year old unsolved treasure hunts all the way down

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I'd be down to dig cept there's none in Iowa and all my metatarsal tissue is shot

Well shucks

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

May your wrists remain unsprained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A 9 year old 31 year old unsolved treasure hunt