Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
This whole death mechanism for this latest expedition is kind of a drag... Used to playing the game and upgrading and making progress, but permadeath is boo. I dont want permadeath in my semi glitchy exploration chill game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah at this point I've had two "that's bullshit" deaths from glitches during combat that's required for completion and I've put it down for at least a little bit

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Well this is an exciting expedition. I haven't been able to find any oxygen so I just get to die repeatedly and start over from life support failure.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Make life support gel from dihydrogen jelly and carbon.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Also for anyone that doesn't know, ion batteries are made from cobalt and ferrite, so find a cave too.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
"Survival permadeath" is frequently a dice roll on spawn to get to your ship or having resources, although this is a little easier than normal since I'm pretty sure respawns give you full health and hazard protection bars instead of starting "damaged"

Also worth noting: bases persist between deaths, which means base-computer-tagging things like sentinel pillars, downed ships, and minor settlements (which sell blueprints not affected by the nanite cost increase) are all extremely worthwhile.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Got to the first anchor point, landed on top of a mesa near the objective marker, jumped off intending to jetpack before I hit the ground, got distracted by the glowy top of a tree, burned all my jetpack trying to look at it again, hit the side of the mesa, lost my shield, bounced off, and hit the ground hard enough to kill me.

e: Also, another thing carried over between loops is your wildlife scans, I filled out two of the planets in the starting systems and was able to fill the 2,000 nanites milestone instantly when I respawned.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 27, 2022

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I've made it to the 5th phase of the goals and can't find the final anchor point because the map is literally sending me in a loop between 3 systems on the expedition route.

Can't find the final anchor indicator on the map either. I'm wondering if it's bugged.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Mokinokaro posted:

I've made it to the 5th phase of the goals and can't find the final anchor point because the map is literally sending me in a loop between 3 systems on the expedition route.

Can't find the final anchor indicator on the map either. I'm wondering if it's bugged.

The first anchor point bugged out on me. Just go ahead save your game turn off multiplayer restart the game and reload. After that the marker was appearing for me again. Sorry, that's all the advice I have for this I know it's not great.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Does this make sense?

quote:

There is currently either a bug or an annoying issue where the Expedition path actually will shows new locations after completing the Anchor Point 1 Milestone, but before using the Memory Resonator to unlock “Wake the Past.” Know Memory Resonator needs to be used from your inventory on the same planet where you received the Anchor Point 1 Milestone. This is the planet known as Ennect. This confused us for hours, so don’t fall into the same trap…

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Also worth noting: bases persist between deaths, which means base-computer-tagging things like sentinel pillars, downed ships, and minor settlements (which sell blueprints not affected by the nanite cost increase) are all extremely worthwhile.

Does this mean it's worth building up bases with supplies for when you die in stupid ways? Like I have.. 5 times now...
Being able to quickly get all of the progress back that I lost would be nice.

Apparently if you claim any Twitch or previous expedition rewards in the Anomaly and die you lose it and the ability to claim it again because that doesn't get reset.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nullsmack posted:

Does this mean it's worth building up bases with supplies for when you die in stupid ways? Like I have.. 5 times now...
Being able to quickly get all of the progress back that I lost would be nice.

Apparently if you claim any Twitch or previous expedition rewards in the Anomaly and die you lose it and the ability to claim it again because that doesn't get reset.

No, I was able to claim twitch and expedition rewards a second time after dying.

And while your bases persist, the contents of your storage does not. My plan is to set up a farm of some sort, but that will require a shitload of salvaged data to unlock the stuff i need.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It's 100% Not Worth It to set up farms for this, imo; the amount of salvaged data required to even get the first tier of automated mineral farming equipment is astronomical.

I've finished the expedition but it's apparently currently bugged(?) and using the global expedition tier stuff as "required" for fully completing the phases so I can't get the final expedition reward until they either patch it or we collectively get up to Global Loop Tier 5, so :toot:

That said, in terms of "things worth tagging with bases":

- One or more crashed ships, since they respawn and can bootstrap you into an easy couple million credits + a couple thousand nanites after scrapping
- A Sentinel Pillar, so you can quickly get the "disable a pillar" achievement and optionally set up a box to hide in to kill 20 sentinels without too much risk and disable all of them once you've done so (doubly so if you roll unlucky, I think the sniper gun is bugged with the quad sentinels and "helpfully" aim-assists you into shooting the ground between their legs :shep:)
- A minor settlement for cheap Ship Teleport tech access -- if you get the teleport tech from a minor settlement, you can then get the economy scanner for "only" 1500 nanites from the Anomaly, which will let you actually look for and find an outlaw system for the "smuggle 500,000 U worth of poo poo"
-- Either of the above for a better multitool, since a rifle or alien gun with more slots will be Very Helpful the sooner you get it and can start throwing your random tech into
- In an outlaw system
- As close to each of the anchor points as you can manage
- As close to each of the anchor point graves as you can manage
- On an abandoned base with (at least 10) alien eggs
- In a freighter wreck (mostly for convenience, since they're easy to find)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CaptainSkinny posted:

The first anchor point bugged out on me. Just go ahead save your game turn off multiplayer restart the game and reload. After that the marker was appearing for me again. Sorry, that's all the advice I have for this I know it's not great.

Sadly this did not work. I might try dying.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Mokinokaro posted:

Sadly this did not work. I might try dying.

I can guarantee dying won't work, unless you think starting over will do something. Just start a new save file in that case.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

No Man's Sky: Leviathan - the only update where 'lol go kill yourself' is helpful advice.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

marktheando posted:

No, I was able to claim twitch and expedition rewards a second time after dying.

Really? I'm going to have to try it. Someone on a Youtube stream told me that it didn't let you.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just recently started playing NMS, if I wanted to get the Normandy I'm SOL?

I hate time-gated rewards in games.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Floppychop posted:

Last Christmas time they re-ran all existing expeditions up to that point. There's a chance they could do that again.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Floppychop posted:

You can wait for the thing you want to come back someday or there is probably a mod to unlock it at Nexusmods. Might wanna wait for said mods to update to the latest patch. Example: https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/2062?tab=description

Adviso: Generally, any NMS mod on Nexus older than 3 months is probably completely out of date.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Floppychop posted:

:cough: save file editor :cough:

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

TracerM17 posted:

:cough: save file editor :cough:

:cough: not a PC exclusive game :cough:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah if you're on console you just have to hope for a repeat.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I believe you don't actually fly the Normandy anyway, it's just a recruitable frigate that you can order to do vague things offscreen.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Usually I immediately spend a lot of time playing each new expedition but having Permadeath on means I feel the whole thing is very stressful and can only play for short bursts at a time, even if I'm not in danger. :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I definitely understand the point of the live - die - repeat cycle, but unless something drastically changes, the rewards upon restarting aren't that great, at least not yet. I figure this might be because this is HG's first attempt at a roguelike, but the playtime vs the new life upgrade mix is all off.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's 100% Not Worth It to set up farms for this, imo; the amount of salvaged data required to even get the first tier of automated mineral farming equipment is astronomical.

yeah i gave up on the idea of a hotspot farm for that reason. i ended up turning my freighter into a weed farm instead, it's not too much salvaged data to unlock nipnip plants and hydroponic trays.

Nullsmack posted:

Really? I'm going to have to try it. Someone on a Youtube stream told me that it didn't let you.

i definitely claimed them twice

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Well, I can never allow myself to die now.

That one actually spawns in the second rendezvous system, if you want one yourself. I just flew into the station, saw it sitting on the pad as I landed, and sprinted over to slam-buy it, not caring what it cost and hoping to god the pilot didn't bug out and disappear because multiplayer.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I definitely understand the point of the live - die - repeat cycle, but unless something drastically changes, the rewards upon restarting aren't that great, at least not yet. I figure this might be because this is HG's first attempt at a roguelike, but the playtime vs the new life upgrade mix is all off.

It feels weird, I think, largely because the actual "roguelike" is all in "upgrades that are tuned for you just buying them" so there's not really a roguelike experience of making due with what you have, just "did you get lucky and get something to help you survive and progress, or did you get the aeration membrane again"

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've restarted this after not playing it for years. What's the behaviour of items and so on with other players? If you put something in a refiner, can other players take out the resulting items?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Alright so with this expedition - did I make a huge mistake by progressing after dying once? Should I have just killed myself a pile of times at the beginning or what?

I also forgot to feed a predator.

How do you get money at the beginning of a save? Is there a savegame editor that I can use to get a bunch of resources? This game is way more fun when I don't have to scrounge up units from under rocks.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Well, I died a bunch so that solved itself. Back to no money. This kinda sucks!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CaptainSkinny posted:

I can guarantee dying won't work, unless you think starting over will do something. Just start a new save file in that case.

Dying actually did work.

I think where I messed up was leaving the fourth planet before doing the grave bit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/robot_cousin/status/1530550529599971331?t=OwnUMKJXdMrGaJLxFEVyWg&s=19

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Mokinokaro posted:

Dying actually did work.

I think where I messed up was leaving the fourth planet before doing the grave bit.

How did dying fix a permadeath glitch? Or did you already complete the loop? In which case that changes how things work.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Yeah this permadeath thing is stressing me out. At least it keeps your bases if you have any. So I'm trying to put bases next to things now. Which should be fun on fixed location things where other people might want to put bases too.

Derelict freighters give a ton of resources but do. not. do. the one at the Anchor Point 2 because it is 9 rooms absolutely packed to the gills with infestation. I have never sweated that much when playing this game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CaptainSkinny posted:

How did dying fix a permadeath glitch? Or did you already complete the loop? In which case that changes how things work.

I reset the loop by dying and just did it again.

My glitch was purely waypoint related and it worked fine the second time.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vasler posted:

Well, I died a bunch so that solved itself. Back to no money. This kinda sucks!

Early game money resources that you should put bases next to basically boil down to
- Crashed ships-- since they respawn when you die you can just claim them again; you don't need to repair anything either; just claim them, summon your functional ship, go to the anomaly, swap to the damaged ship, and teleport directly to a space station to scrap the ship
- Storm Crystal planets-- once you hit the point in any expedition where you get free weather protection (either via RNG with the exosuit shields that protect for a set time duration, exocraft with protection upgrades, or the minotaur), storm crystals are free millions.
- Abandoned bases-- just pop a larval core, steal it, jump over the base to the opposite corner, pop several more, repeat. The larger the base the more you can screw with the AI safely. (People have also said that if you want to have a base for real there you can terraform under the eggs, build a box around the eggs, and take them with impunity; I haven't really tried that yet)
- Black Market Smuggling-- finding a system is the hard part, but black market stuff guaranteed sells for a fuckton at any regular station, and you can use the anomaly to bypass the requirement of wasting fuel jumping from system to system.
- Anomaly missions-- worth calling out explicitly, since you can get some free pocket change and sometimes expensive crafting crap/storm crystals from easy missions as well-- and, importantly, anything that has a requirement of "get this expensive stuff" will by definition send you to a place that you can find said expensive stuff, which you can throw a base down on. Missions that ask for storm crystals, larval cores, killing monstrosities, activated indium, etc. all removes the hassle of finding that stuff yourself or buying up into an indium drive.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Built a base on an abandoned facility for the eggs, and not even 1000u away is a crashed freighter. Overshadowed by the nose of the freighter is a secret facility (Turns out the "learn technology" option there is also multiplied by 10, and of course only gives you one facility override) with a second within scanning distance.

... claim them, summon your functional ship, go to the anomaly, swap to the damaged ship, and teleport directly to a space station to scrap the ship

I was using my freighter the same way in my main save, but can't do that in the expedition. Hadn't thought of using the anomaly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I lucked into an extreme weather planet in an outlaw sector. I ended up with access to storm crystals, a place to do the smuggling from, and there's activated copper on the planet too. Which I'm using for chromatic metal so I can build more bases.

I've done the thing where you build walls around whispering eggs to steal them with impunity. Works most of the time, but I've had those bug things glitch through in other saves.