Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I like how the maester hears auron and immediately rethinks his target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
On the note of Auron and your quest for a Fortune Sphere... did you guys ever take a Chocobo back to the Mi'ihen Highroad? Because there's one there only accessible by Chocobo and I forget if you got that one.

With any luck, this tidbit will finally free Auron and allow him to become the GOD he is waiting to become by spending all those sphere levels all at once.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Dan knows that letting Auron sit there is a bad decision, but it's even worse than he might think. For one, luck is barely doing anything (slight modification of crit chances). Also Auron is sitting on a node which would only give +1 which is itself a waste. If you had a fortune sphere it would be better to wait until you get a luck sphere, which lets you make a +5 node instead.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 25, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Luck is a genuinely important stat, but is biggest in the late-game.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I believe Auto-Potion uses the cheapest potion you have, so if you get rid of all of your Potions, she should start using Hi-Potions.

And I've never seen a Kimahri Thrust Kick eject an enemy from battle. I'm sure at least some enemies are immune, but it never says IMMUNE, and I'm sure I've tried it on enemies that Auron's Shooting Star can launch.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Luck legitimately doesn't matter unless you're trying the post game. It's effect doesn't do much in small amounts, and you get so few of the relevant spheres that it's impossible to get enough to matter.

I know there's a late game grinding method for them, though it's been far too long for me to actually remember how.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's not about the luck stat, it's about the principle

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

You have until the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth before you can pick up another one. I believe it's too late to go back to the Highroad, until you get full Airship access which I think won't happen until you've reached all the main areas naturally in the course of the plot.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I can't be the only one who saw Bobby Hill holding a gun at the wedding

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

Huh? Is that something which was fixed in the international version, or first appeared in the rerelease? Never had a problem with that one.

Affects all versions apparently, you can see people discussing it on Neoseeker and stuff 14 years ago.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 38 - The Worst poo poo You've Ever Seen

So help me god if I get any grief from you people for this

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

An absolute Dan & Grace classic. Starts with an immediate pronouncement and delivers 100%.

This is truly the worst cloister of them all, both in terms of brutal destruction of the story pacing and in terms of playing it. Who in the gently caress thought "ok yeah the cloisters are great, but I hate that you can just walk around and figure things out at your own pace"?

e: That counts for "getting the destruction sphere treasure" in Bevelle. And there is one more cloister, which if you want an optional aeon you'll need to do a second time because you can't get the destruction sphere the first time through if you want an optional aeon. So there is arguably a cloister for an optional aeon? The others you just have to fight your way through to.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 26, 2022

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

God drat, that was miserable. No, not Dan's performance, just the cloister itself. Even if it wasn't a pain in the rear end, I despise anything that makes you sit on a rail cart between checkpoints like that. It's a perfect microcosm of the cloisters themselves.

Also, there must be a non-zero number of Summoners who go on their pilgrimages and come out broken by the sheer hypocrisy on display of this "holy site" being a giant display of forbidden machina. Or is Bevelle's cloister not supposed to be on the pilgrimage? Some of the details are escaping me.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Even if you figure out that you need a sphere to power the platform, and somehow reason out that you're also going to need a sphere to power the track (and thus need to fill both slots before proceeding), you aren't going to expect that the Destruction Sphere (previously only used for optional treasure) is used for progress in this place. I still say Macalania is worse, but Bevelle ain't great.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

disposablewords posted:

Also, there must be a non-zero number of Summoners who go on their pilgrimages and come out broken by the sheer hypocrisy on display of this "holy site" being a giant display of forbidden machina. Or is Bevelle's cloister not supposed to be on the pilgrimage? Some of the details are escaping me.

Fervent believers of a religion on a self directed suicide run tend to be predisposed to ignoring stuff like that, I'd imagine.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

RudeCat posted:

Fervent believers of a religion on a self directed suicide run tend to be predisposed to ignoring stuff like that, I'd imagine.

"It's for the greater good".

Plus it's not weapons, so it's not exactly against the rules. No more than Blitzball, at least.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah the church of yevon is hypocritical as poo poo, but it's the only game in town with an "answer" to the whole Sin issue. Hell remember Seymour and Kinoc were both at Operation Mi'hen in support, then when it failed suddenly using machina was bad again and the Crusaders all got excommunicated for it

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
One could make an argument that the design of the Bevelle Cloister of Trials is thematically appropriate--just as Bevelle, the heart of Yevon, has set out a clear path for the people of Spira to follow--especially the summoners--from which it will permit no deviation, so too does the trial funnel its victims summoners' parties down strictly delineated paths. If only you follow the path, Yevon claims, you will inevitably be rewarded (as Bevelle's Cloister is the only one in which you cannot miss the Destruction Sphere treasure). And yet Yevon's path is paved with hypocrisy--machina forbidden to the common folk by the authorities of Bevelle, but on full display within Bevelle's most sacred places, with machina weapons in the hands of the soldier-monks who guard it.

One could also make a greater argument that the Bevelle Cloister of Trials is really freaking annoying, why would the game designers do this to everyone, do they just feed off suffering???

On the topic of summoners going to Bevelle and seeing all the machina around... I feel like Bevelle is probably intended to be the last temple summoners visit in a standard pilgrimage. At that point, the summoner is already pretty well committed--yeah, some will quit afterwards, but if you've already decided you're willing to die to defeat Sin... well, the machina in Bevelle don't change the fact that Sin is killing people now. And if a summoner were to stop their pilgrimage and try to turn people against the Bevelle authorities by telling everyone about Bevelle's machina, the fact that said summoner abandoned their pilgrimage is going to immediately discredit them.

PepperedMoth fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 26, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

One thing that feels really off is that the whole Bevelle sequence makes the Bevelle use of Forbidden Machina Weapons out to be a big secret.

Except if you go back to the shoopuf sequence, there's a warror-monk standing guard. With a rifle in full display. Kind of makes it harder to buy that nobody knows they're flouting the taboo.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
For all this temples faults, they did have some mercy on the player by making that one treasure chest unavoidable. If the one you missed had been The Important One, it would have sucked a lot in the future.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Gnoman posted:

One thing that feels really off is that the whole Bevelle sequence makes the Bevelle use of Forbidden Machina Weapons out to be a big secret.

Except if you go back to the shoopuf sequence, there's a warror-monk standing guard. With a rifle in full display. Kind of makes it harder to buy that nobody knows they're flouting the taboo.

It's possible the forbidden weapons are just the floating artillery robots and those weird karate-mechs. It's clearly not the automated nature that does it, because the cannons at Mushroom Rock were manned, but maybe there's a minimum size where people start to care?

By the way, the second treasure you can get in Bevelle is just some mediocre weapon for Kimahri. Even if you could have gone back into the cloister to get the additional sphere, you'd have been disappointed.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

"Aren't those weapoms forbidden by Yevon" was Auron's reaponse to a rifle shoved in somebody's face.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Ah, you are correct, yeah. I'm gonna guess lazy devs/limited space for distinct models saved by someone with less of an eye for plot holes than you, then.

Also, man you need to do way too much Blitzball to get all Wakka's special stuff. It's a frustrating mix of being very easy to cheese your way through with perfection, much more fun if you don't, and nonetheless requiring near perfection because if you lose too much you have to do 20 more games to cycle the league prize and get it.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
That's how organized religion works. The people at the top dictate the interpretation of doctrine and can justify just about anything using the right troll logic.

A big tenant of Christianity is not killing people and respecting the sanctity of life, and yet Pope Urban had no trouble ordering the First Crusade (which had popular support among people).

It was either Lulu or Wakka that mentioned it earlier in the game, "Bevelle decides what machina we can and cannot use." It’s trivial for them to say "These weapons are okay to use because we need to defend the Holy City of Bevelle and the meisters."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Grace warcrying "Gooba&" while riding the platforms is making me cry with laughter at this point

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Psycho Knight posted:

That's how organized religion works. The people at the top dictate the interpretation of doctrine and can justify just about anything using the right troll logic.

A big tenant of Christianity is not killing people and respecting the sanctity of life, and yet Pope Urban had no trouble ordering the First Crusade (which had popular support among people).

It was either Lulu or Wakka that mentioned it earlier in the game, "Bevelle decides what machina we can and cannot use." It’s trivial for them to say "These weapons are okay to use because we need to defend the Holy City of Bevelle and the meisters."

You use the hierarchy to filter for people who will accept (or can be conditioned to accept) the hypocrisy, yes, but Summoners don't seem to automatically be part of the hierarchy. Like, Yuna's respected but doesn't seem to have formal authority. Seems like a recipe for trouble when you let a popular, self-sacrificing true believer in on the secret without the full filtering system of the church hierarchy.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

bevelle cloister is poo poo from an rear end

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm pretty sure Bevelle in general is supposed to be a demonstration of the extreme hypocrisy that Yevon swims in. However, they kind of executed it poorly in that it opens up so many plot holes.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The land is ruled by tradition-banging hypocritical old men that actively refuse to die and move on. Meanwhile the youth that try to change things are sent off to die, and even the die-hard believers in the old men are indoctrinated into becoming a martyr for the old men's causes. Meanwhile nothing improves and things only get worse and more people die.
The only way for things to improve is for the youth to instead listen to these blonde-haired, blue-and-green-eyed foreigners with their radical ideas.

Final Fantasy X is not subtle in its politics.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Akratic Method posted:

It's possible the forbidden weapons are just the floating artillery robots and those weird karate-mechs. It's clearly not the automated nature that does it, because the cannons at Mushroom Rock were manned, but maybe there's a minimum size where people start to care?

I never really interpreted the artillery and kick mechs to be proper machina. They give off a more traditional golem vibe to me, looking more like constructs made of stone and clay materials animated by magic. This feeling is only reinforced by the fact that they're not vulnerable to the Steal insta-kill that common machina are, and none of the artillery or kick guy variants are weak to lightning, either.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

do they ever explain how bevelle of all places hasn't been destroyed by sin?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

disposablewords posted:

You use the hierarchy to filter for people who will accept (or can be conditioned to accept) the hypocrisy, yes, but Summoners don't seem to automatically be part of the hierarchy. Like, Yuna's respected but doesn't seem to have formal authority. Seems like a recipe for trouble when you let a popular, self-sacrificing true believer in on the secret without the full filtering system of the church hierarchy.

The beauty of this system is that the summoners don't need to be part of the hierarchy, because they are agents of it whether they like it or not. If a summoner learns the truth, what are they going to do with that information? Tell people? They'll immediately be labeled a heretic. Alternatively, the people will look at them as a fallen summoner who is upset at not completing the pilgrimage and is trying to lash out at Bevelle for their own personal failures. Additionally, a summoner that turns against Bevelle no longer has access to the temples, so their entire life's goal gets shut down.

That's the thing about this whole scheme. No matter how popular or how much of a hero a summoner becomes, there is a hard limit on the clout they can accumulate. That limit is Sin. Yuna may be the daughter of a High Summoner and a celebrity among the people, but until she manages to actually defeat Sin, she's not inherently different from any other summoner out there. It's also not exactly difficult to completely discredit her considering she hired Gooba& as one of her guardians, a guy who has been running around (allegedly) high on Sin toxin and claiming to be from Zanarkand while making GBS threads over every aspect of Yevon he comes into contact with. Not to mention the Al Bhed girl she also hired as a guardian, who was actively participating in a campaign of summoner kidnappings and forced confinement.

Broken Box posted:

do they ever explain how bevelle of all places hasn't been destroyed by sin?

Supposedly the Crusaders always lure Sin away from the city whenever it approaches. I guess the idea is similar to Operation Mi'hen in that they use captured Sinspawn to lure it. Of course, that raises a bunch of plot hole questions like "How are they always able to find Sin when it is approaching Bevelle but not when it rolls up on any other place?" and "Why can they lure it away from Bevelle but not from anywhere else?"

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 27, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 39 - I Hate This Place

This "execution" is probably more effective when you can't summon a giant dog that kills everything

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Goddamnit Dan, you could have just jump cut over this episode and spared us all this* trial!

*every

At least it ended with Auron's repeated quest to dunk on Kinoc every time he sees him.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Danaru posted:

This "execution" is probably more effective when you can't summon a giant dog that kills everything

This whole scene is profoundly stupid on multiple levels. They throw the Blitzball players into a water duct and just expect them to give up and drown. They throw the summoner and combat capable members into a lovely maze and expect them to get killed by monsters. Then, immediately upon doing this, Mika turns around and goes "Right, maybe we should stick some guards by the exit in case they survive", thereby openly acknowledging how idiotic the idea is.

There are so many better ways to execute someone, like, I don't know, shooting them in the head while they are locked in the cells. Even if you want the whole religious symbolism shtick of the "Via Purifico" or whatever, then just go and seal the drat exits before you throw them in.

I also like how Kinoc quips about not trusting someone who killed his own father, but still tags along with Seymour despite knowing that the guy is far more powerful than he is (as far as we know, Kinoc is not a summoner himself).

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 27, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Maester Mika watching on his orb to see that Wakka and Gooba& high fived at the start of their 'execution', thinking maybe they should just start shooting people instead.

Unfortunately Kelk is a massive libertarian and sees changing anything as "Big Yevon trying to control peoples' lives" and yes Kelk thats literally what we're trying to do why the hell did we make you a Maester

Psycho Knight posted:

I also like how Kinoc quips about not trusting someone who killed his own father, but still tags along with Seymour despite knowing that the guy is far more powerful than he is (as far as we know, Kinoc is not a summoner himself).

Kinoc doesn't have enough polygons to be a summoner, and he's really sensitive about it

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Danaru posted:

Unfortunately Kelk is a massive libertarian and sees changing anything as "Big Yevon trying to control peoples' lives" and yes Kelk thats literally what we're trying to do why the hell did we make you a Maester

Kelk was clearly the diversity hire.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Psycho Knight posted:

Kelk was clearly the diversity hire.

I think that is genuinely part of the lore, which is why he's not kept in the loop and the others make fun of him.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

SoundwaveAU posted:

I think that is genuinely part of the lore, which is why he's not kept in the loop and the others make fun of him.

quote:

According to Final Fantasy X Ultimania Omega, both Jyscal, the leader of the Guado, and Kelk, leader of the Ronso, became maesters of Yevon as part of Grand Maester Yo Mika's "sub-races appeasement policy."

wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Holy poo poo :laffo: