Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A bit too weird and not west enough IMHO.

Roguelikes are a plague on gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

American McGay posted:

You're not wrong but I don't think Weird West is a roguelike. Isn't it like a kind of immersive sim from a top down perspective?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

American McGay posted:

I know this is a very stupid question but I've googled it and looked around and I'm still not clear. What exactly is a "roguelike"? It seems it's card battle games to stuff like RPGs to pretty much anything where you level up and upgrade yourself and equipment, both long and short games. ELI5 please.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Ahh you're right, I was thinking of West of Dead. Never played Weird West sorry.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I really wanted to like Weird West, since I like Western theming, I like that top-down isometric style of gameplay etc, but I just found the controls on console way too clunky and annoying.

Getting shot to death while your character slooooowly pivots their crosshair in a full 180 arc was frustrating as hell and it happened a few times in the first handful of levels. Maybe it gets better, or is better on PC? I gave up on it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

play something else

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

1glitch0 posted:

I know this is a very stupid question but I've googled it and looked around and I'm still not clear. What exactly is a "roguelike"? It seems it's card battle games to stuff like RPGs to pretty much anything where you level up and upgrade yourself and equipment, both long and short games. ELI5 please.

My (potentially wrong) understanding is that roguelike generally just means a game with permadeath, but usually has an upgrade system outside of that. So if you've played a game like Hades or Slay the Spire, dying means you have to start over from the beginning (rather than the nearest checkpoint). It sounds frustrating, but it's balanced against other game systems that make you stronger each time around. Each run in Slay the Spire you'll unlock a couple of more powerful cards; each run in Hades you accumulate currencies that boost your stats etc.

The other main point is that roguelikes generally have randomly- or procedurally-generated levels/dungeons, unlike an RPG where the world is the same each time through.

Naturally, there's a 10,000 word wikipedia article about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

External Organs posted:

Can't wait to see what dumb name they give this one

X-Stream

Alternatively: the Xbox Series P
(because it streams, you see)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

webmeister posted:

My (potentially wrong) understanding is that roguelike generally just means a game with permadeath, but usually has an upgrade system outside of that.

Roguelikes are based on the structure of a truly ancient video game called Rogue, which pioneered the key genre conventions of randomly generated dungeons and permadeath with no progression stored between runs. Roguelites are called that because they offer some sort of persistent progression that makes successive runs less challenging. And then rougelikes are when you're bad at spelling.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

acksplode posted:

And then rougelikes are when you're bad at spelling.

No those are games where you mascara a bunch of creatures.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Vampire Survivors is an awesome rougelike.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is the best roguelike. It's free, too.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Vampire Survivors is an arcade game with progression.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

I haven't seen a rogue-like in years.

e: why isn't DoomRL on xbox?

Sterf fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 27, 2022

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Roguelikes are also run based. I think people forget that part and focus on permadeath

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Personally I love platformers, like Assassin's Creed

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

American McGay posted:

Someone hasn't played Hades, altough that's a lite

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Disposable Scud posted:

So what was the final word on Weird West?

A solid ok.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I finally have my main XBL account on my series X

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Playing the new Sniper Elite 5 game on Game Pass, I feel like Rebellion has kind of lost the plot on its own series.

You know how in Metal Gear Solid 4 and onward they put in a poo poo ton of incredibly detailed lists of modifications for guns, as well as lists of guns, and then if you actually used any of the guns you got penalized because hey dipshit this is a *stealth* game? That seems like what SE is now, except instead of getting penalized it's just made entirely pointless because any mouse aim user worth their shot can snap off headshots at the cyclical rates of their guns regardless of what that gun actually is. Yeah SE has always been like that, but why put all this weird poo poo in then

Also while the axis sniper mode sounds fun probably 70% of the time the enemy just restarts to kick you out. Not too surprising when the general tactic is to see what blew up last and then shoot anything that comes out of the trench wearing a turtleneck.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 27, 2022

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The SE devs raised the price of Zombie Army 4's season passes so they're still 30 bucks while on sale.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

1glitch0 posted:

For a while it was fairly easy to point at roguelike games and say, "This is what a roguelike is," (Nethack, Angband, ADOM, Dungeon Crawl, etc.) but the term has gotten really muddied up over the past decade or so when developers realized that procedural generation could save them a lot of time. The main thing now, I think, is just having randomized environments and items; a run-based structure where you're expected to run through the game repeatedly; and starting from zero whenever you start another run. That definition can now apply to various different game genres, so it's become less a specific game type and more just a set of design features to be incorporated into some other type of game.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Weird West was neat but I found myself battling the controls and it's systems and after a couple hours I never returned to it. If it piques your interest I think it's worth an install, it does some stuff pretty well.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like roguelikes and roguelites as well but there's definitely too many games doing it, and a lot of them just throw it in because you have to be good at your job to make good level design but if you make some generator that is at best average, you can just pretend like it's an intentional part of the difficulty and not a sign that you're lazy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Disposable Scud posted:

So what was the final word on Weird West?

Usually some variation of 'The End'.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I still really like roguelites because I've skipped all but a handful of the most critically acclaimed or goon acclaimed ones.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah sure let me just play some levels generated by a computer algorithm and not expertly handcrafted by a Japanese salary man. That sounds real great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1529971953477373953

Anyone else get free Xbox money? I checked my messages and I did.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I never get it

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1529971953477373953

Anyone else get free Xbox money? I checked my messages and I did.

I did and this is the first time I've gotten one.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I finally got one this time. The message came through on my Xbox app on the phone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Do not pass on Trek to Yomi, this game is extremely good.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

American McGay posted:

Yeah sure let me just play some levels generated by a computer algorithm and not expertly handcrafted by a Japanese salary man. That sounds real great.

It can be.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 27, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MikeRabsitch posted:

Weird West was neat but I found myself battling the controls and it's systems and after a couple hours I never returned to it. If it piques your interest I think it's worth an install, it does some stuff pretty well.

It's definitely a PC game. It's pretty good there, but there's just too much competition to justify the investment :shrug:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

acksplode posted:

Roguelikes are based on the structure of a truly ancient video game called Rogue, which pioneered the key genre conventions of randomly generated dungeons and permadeath with no progression stored between runs. Roguelites are called that because they offer some sort of persistent progression that makes successive runs less challenging. And then rougelikes are when you're bad at spelling.

Thank you for clarifying that both things sound loving awful.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I said come in! posted:

Do not pass on Trek to Yomi, this game is extremely good.

I liked it for about an hour. I was mostly impressed with the visual style, very cinematic. The gameplay wore out on me pretty quickly though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sterf posted:

e: why isn't DoomRL on xbox?
The developer has said he wants to bring Jupiter Hell (basically DoomRL but with an original IP and 3D graphics) to consoles in the past since it has nice gamepad controls, but it's gonna take a moment because he built his own custom game engine so he's gonna have to redo the 3D renderer for every console.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
It's Pac-Man day

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

elf help book posted:

It's Pac-Man day

Oh poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

John F Bennett posted:

I liked it for about an hour. I was mostly impressed with the visual style, very cinematic. The gameplay wore out on me pretty quickly though.

My recommendation is that everyone plays Trek To Yomi for around 2 hours and quits.