Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
One day I was tired of waiting for extra items to buy me tickets and went around to every unused quartz/caterium node I knew of and set up basic production at each feeding into a ticket maker.
Making sure each was maxed out on production of what it would make right there.
And left it running overnight.
By morning I had enough tickets to be just short of everything I wanted to buy short of road emblems and the like.
Now the only thing I spend on is filters and things made with cave mushrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
51hours into this playthrough and I just now thought about putting hypertubes around the base cause walking is a slog. I should have done this ages ago lmao. I even have a 2 way yeet cannon set up but I never think to use hypertubes the normal way.

Wish I could speed the tube up more though, it's great on downhill starts but requires 6x launchers to get the same speed on the return trip if it's flat into any kind of uphill first. wish they had boosters.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

If the hypertube trip is too long just smoke some weed while you wait

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Wish I could speed the tube up more though, it's great on downhill starts but requires 6x launchers to get the same speed on the return trip if it's flat into any kind of uphill first. wish they had boosters.
You can do two-way inline boosters. Here's an example:

Place several hypertube supports three grid units apart. Add a hypertube entrance on each side. Connect to power.

There is a small gap between each support, but you'll stay in the tube since it's straight. Contrary to logic, the opposite-direction entrances do not slow you down when placed in this configuration.

The only downside is that if you walk too close to the structure, you'll get sucked into the tube. And you're not getting out again until you get to one end or the other.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

The only downside is that if you walk too close to the structure, you'll get sucked into the tube. And you're not getting out again until you get to one end or the other.

You can use your movement buttons to slow yourself down and turn around while in a tube.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tenebrais posted:

You can use your movement buttons to slow yourself down and turn around while in a tube.
Correct, but you still can't exit until you get to one end or the other. Which can be annoying if you get sucked in at a mid-line booster for a very long tube run.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

You can do two-way inline boosters. Here's an example:

Place several hypertube supports three grid units apart. Add a hypertube entrance on each side. Connect to power.

There is a small gap between each support, but you'll stay in the tube since it's straight. Contrary to logic, the opposite-direction entrances do not slow you down when placed in this configuration.

oh dank, I'll try that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Naylenas posted:

If the hypertube trip is too long just smoke some weed while you wait

Hyptertubes are great if only for the reason that you get to move while taking your hands off of the controls for a bit.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hyper tubes are good cause they give you a good time to remember to go get something to eat/drink or to use the bathroom during travel time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Leal posted:

Hyper tubes are good cause they give you a good time to remember to go get something to eat/drink or to use the bathroom during travel time.

This but with train autopilot, with enjoyable scenic travel when you come back from fixing a drink and can watch the end of the train ride.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Been working towards my world maxed nuclear build ahead of the update, it requires a massive amount of Electromagnetic Control Rods. Not too worried about the other components now that these are dealt with.

50.4 is the max Uranium Rods you can make with all 2100 uranium and needs 168 ECRs/min:

You can make more Plutonium Rods if you use the alt recipe but I'm just trying to get rid of the Uranium Waste so I'm sticking with the standard recipe which needs 89.6/min:

Doing it all in one factory is a bit daunting, better to split it into two subfactories where 400 stators/min are made in one location and then sent to a factory which makes ~267 AI Limiters/min and also handles the final assembly.

The Stators are made in the Blue Crater:

Then sent out by truck to the AI Limiter factory on the Grass Fields waterfall:

Next up are Crystal Oscillators which shouldn't be much issue after all this. Have to wait for the update to see how the terrain changes but I already worked out how to do a perfectly load balanced array of 252 nuclear plants. Not using any trains or drones, I'm trying to do the whole thing with nothing but trucks and see no reason why it won't work. If you look at the wiki for Plutonium Rods, it says towards the end:

quote:

Given the extremely long burn time and intense radiation it is not recommend to automatically refuel vehicles with Plutonium Fuel Rods. Automatic refueling will create intense radiation from the Plutonium Fuel Rods stored in the Truck Station performing the refueling, and it will create a moving intense radiation area from the vehicle loaded with fuel that could take hours, days, or weeks to consume.

I'm going to do this deliberately by swapping the Packaged Turbofuel for Plutonium Rods once everything is done. A truck takes a bit over a week and a half of continuous play to burn a stack of 50 rods, that should be reliable enough while I'm automating the final space elevator parts.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've never tried, but I'm guessing that trucks don't produce nuclear waste when burning nuclear fuel?
Simple because it has nowhere to go.
Although it would be funny if they instead just pooped out a little trail of waste where they drove.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Have they officially said what day the next update hits experimental? I’ve only seen “early June”

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

drat I have seriously hit the wall with this game. I know they are opposed to blueprints, but there really needs to be a splitter + belt + constructor + belt + merger set that I can lay down all at once.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

LifeSunDeath posted:

drat I have seriously hit the wall with this game. I know they are opposed to blueprints, but there really needs to be a splitter + belt + constructor + belt + merger set that I can lay down all at once.

https://ficsit.app/mod/5yGWmmB8KL2Zq8

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

double edit, this mod is so amazing! lol

can build complex setups so drat fast now!

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 30, 2022

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

nielsm posted:

I've never tried, but I'm guessing that trucks don't produce nuclear waste when burning nuclear fuel?
Simple because it has nowhere to go.
Although it would be funny if they instead just pooped out a little trail of waste where they drove.

The wiki says this is true, and it's an incredibly slow way to get rid of plutonium fuel rods because they last over 5 and a half hours per item rather than something like 10 seconds for fuel. However, I kind of like the idea of putting them into service for trucking instead of shoving them all into an awesome sink - just need to be careful around the refueling stations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Picked this up last week, we don't really need sleep, do we?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

neato burrito posted:

Just build a machine to do your sleeping for you. Much more efficient.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

neato burrito posted:

No, you don’t! Also, long time no see same first name guy.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

My Dearest Martha,

It has been some time since I've last wrote, my love. I am 13 sleepless days and nights into my 11.25/minute Heavy Modular Frame factory, and I fear the end is still not in sight. Our food stores have run out. We've lost twelve brave men to hunger, pestilence, and cave-ins. The lizard doggos will not cease chirping. I fear I may not return home anytime soon, but pray that I shall. Please relay this letter to the children and MATERNAL FIGURE and most importantly, stay strong. Our love shall endure.

Yours Truly,

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

neato burrito posted:

Remember to automate everything. If you have to manually make something other then power shards (and even then, sounds a bit lazy, does it not?), then you haven't automated enough.

For early tickets, you can sink some of the stuff you find around wrecks, the high end stuff. The small amount of plates, frames and heat sinks you find does not matter in the long run and will help massively with tickets early on. You can also go mine some uranium and just sink all of it for a good trickle.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Automating power shard production rules with the big gross slugs on the belts

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Otacon posted:

My Dearest Martha,

It has been some time since I've last wrote, my love. I am 13 sleepless days and nights into my 11.25/minute Heavy Modular Frame factory, and I fear the end is still not in sight. Our food stores have run out. We've lost twelve brave men to hunger, pestilence, and cave-ins. The lizard doggos will not cease chirping. I fear I may not return home anytime soon, but pray that I shall. Please relay this letter to the children and MATERNAL FIGURE and most importantly, stay strong. Our love shall endure.

Yours Truly,

That sounds real familiar. Did you make that up or is that a quote from something?

Is there an easy way to modify the splitters/mergers to get a throughput higher than 3600 items per minute? I'm using a mod with belts that go up to 7200 items per minute, and built a screw factory that puts out a total of 7200 per minute, but when I try to merge them into one belt, they get throttled by the mergers.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

priznat posted:

Automating power shard production rules with the big gross slugs on the belts

It's great. For my factory I set up a single drop-off container that I could shove everything I picked up while exploring into, and it'd sort off the slugs to make power shards, leaves/wood/carapaces to make biomass, mycelia into fabric before I got the plastic fabric recipe, and then everything else into my general mall sorter (and eventually the grinder).

It really bugs me that you can't automate inhaler production so that I could sort off the items for that too. Those still have to be manual for some reason. I get that they're equipment, but so are beacons!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

It really bugs me that you can't automate inhaler production so that I could sort off the items for that too. Those still have to be manual for some reason. I get that they're equipment, but so are beacons!

There is a mod that adds that recipe at least.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

It's great. For my factory I set up a single drop-off container that I could shove everything I picked up while exploring into, and it'd sort off the slugs to make power shards, leaves/wood/carapaces to make biomass, mycelia into fabric before I got the plastic fabric recipe, and then everything else into my general mall sorter (and eventually the grinder).

I really wish the smart splitters were earlier on the tech tree so you can do just a giant catch all dump and have it sort everything. That’s the most fun once you can build those.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

SkunkDuster posted:

That sounds real familiar. Did you make that up or is that a quote from something?

It’s a riff on the letters they read on the Ken Burns civil war documentary.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

SkunkDuster posted:

Yeah, that was just me riffing on old Civil War-era letters. But hark, my sweet children! The end of my journey may be in sight!

I finally got this Heavy Modular Mess all wired up and debugged last night. I would call it semi-planned, as I had to actually use a calculator and notepad to mentally work things out before I started building this floor. Despite my note-taking, things still went pear-shaped multiple times, so I'm going to need to work on planning efficiently/correctly. Still, I'm proud of it since it's my first "large" (for me) build.

This is my Starter base sized 13x36, with storage on floor 1, all iron/copper item production on floor 2, and steel production on floor 3.

Coal is trucked in from two 480/min Mk2 Miners, allowing me to generate 1000+ "Alt: Solid Steel" ingots per minute, building 220 Steel Pipes/min and 180 Steel Beams/min. Two Mk2 Miners on Limestone nodes generate 220 concrete/min to make to 42.5 Encased Industrial Beams/min. There are 30 Modular Frames/min coming up from floor 1, and these all culminate in 11.25 Heavy Metal Frames/min at 100%, using the "Heavy Encased" alt recipe - along with some extra materials to overflow to storage and get sunk for tickets.

There's way more pipes than the HMF recipe alone needs, because the next phase is to add Rotor and Stator production (and then Motors) but for now, I'm happy with how it's turned out so far.

I think this game is pretty good.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 2, 2022

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Dogen posted:

It’s a riff on the letters they read on the Ken Burns civil war documentary.

I knew Ashokan Farewell was going through my head for a reason.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Oh boy here I go restarting my base factory from scratch again!

Dogen posted:

No, you don’t! Also, long time no see same first name guy.

Oh poo poo, talk about a blast from the past! Hope you are doing well, we did a Geeks Who Drink in Austin if you are who I think you are, correct?

Dunno-Lars posted:

Remember to automate everything. If you have to manually make something other then power shards (and even then, sounds a bit lazy, does it not?), then you haven't automated enough.

I'm getting better at this for sure. I'm purposefully avoid any build guides to figure this stuff out myself. Just had an a-ha moment yesterday that will let me automate sending any material any in any direction using a chain of smart splitters.

Hence the base rebuild.

neato burrito fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 3, 2022

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

neato burrito posted:

Oh boy here I go restarting my base factory from scratch again!

:same:

Although not fully from scratch. I folded in some side buildings into the main one, deleted and redid all of the power distribution to prevent me from accidentally disconnecting the wrong thing and killing half my stuff, rebuilt my storage area, and am going to relocate the hub and build a hyper tube tower.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

neato burrito posted:

Oh poo poo, talk about a blast from the past! Hope you are doing well, we did a Geeks Who Drink in Austin if you are who I think you are, correct?

We did a couple Mother Eagan's quizzes in the days before GWD, we are old.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

gently caress yeah, Mother Egan's had trivia too. I remember exactly who you are now. Glad to see you're still around and playing good video games.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

neato burrito posted:

This became such a Problem for me that I had to set up a voice clock to do reminders when it was late. poo poo was getting real bad.

priznat posted:

I really wish the smart splitters were earlier on the tech tree so you can do just a giant catch all dump and have it sort everything. That’s the most fun once you can build those.

The entire first half of the caterium tree including smart splitters is very quick to unlock as soon as you have assemblers & caterium. Getting the caterium is the only thing that pushes it back.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Setting up central storage is always fun, making it a trucks only save adds some new challenges.

Already automating most of these things but I'm waiting for the terrain updates to actually lay out the truck routes. First port has packaged turbofuel which then feeds into the rest so I can always create a supply route without having to worry about supplying fuel for the production side. Found out the other day that if trucks collide head-on while on their automated paths they'll get stuck and need to be fixed like when trains crash. Thought it was possible to just have overlapping paths going back and forth but after seeing that I'm making sure to set up directional lanes for traffic.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My favorite thing to make is a central storage warehouse. There is just something comforting knowing that I'll always have stuff on hand to build whatever, and its better to have things I need to turn in all in one location. It also ensures all excess is sent to the sink.

Watching it get upgraded from belts>trucks>trains>drones is also pretty great.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

simultaneously awesome and terrifying and in equal measure

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My wish would be some kind of console that would allow you to group smart splitters and remote control them.. Then you could be like "hmm I want a bunch of steel beams" and it would just route whatever is in your storage at some location and fill up a storage next to you :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

priznat posted:

My wish would be some kind of console that would allow you to group smart splitters and remote control them.. Then you could be like "hmm I want a bunch of steel beams" and it would just route whatever is in your storage at some location and fill up a storage next to you :haw:

a train with one car for each kind of material you might want to request: a variation on the Factorio work train which has the advantage of allowing you to set individual stacks within a cargo wagon to only accept one kind of material and thus doesn't need to be comically gigantic