Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Atopian posted:

You can get reasonable accuracy from cheap (~$20-equivalent) ones these days, although you do need to calibrate them appropriately for the use environment, and I have known cheap ones to drift over time for no reason I could figure out.
Got to be better than nothing though.

We got a fancy pants Government level water quality pH probe and the thing still needs to be replaced on the reg. PH probes suck, gently caress em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

We got a fancy pants Government level water quality pH probe and the thing still needs to be replaced on the reg. PH probes suck, gently caress em.

"We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works."

-Douglas Adams

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
My department is undergoing a restructuring to more of a "flattened" structure. By adding a few extra layers of management and middle management.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

evilpicard posted:

Who here here uses concur and how much do you enjoy spending 4 hours a month entering your expenses God drat

Honestly not too bad? I find it weirdly relaxing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Escape From Noise posted:

"We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works."

-Douglas Adams

Someone invent magic so we can have poo poo that actually works tia

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Outrail posted:

Arthur C Clarke posted:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

What if we invented no more work ever again?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

To keep it work-related:

Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

What if we invented no more work ever again?

That's easy, just needs a sacrifice of all your employees' chances of retirement

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I'm currently doing a Nexonia to Concur migration, please feel free to share any major things with your concur implementation that piss you off so I can avoid them.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Outrail posted:

What? That should definitely not be the case.

Usually if you’re having to replace your probe a lot it’s because you’re using the wrong probe for the application…

Either that, or someone is not maintaining it properly/storing it correctly when it’s not being used.

EarthboundMermaid
Mar 6, 2012

Go then, there are other worlds than these.

Outrail posted:

Sometimes people ask me where I learnt some weird forums knowledge and I have to say something vague like 'oh yeah I just read a lot'.

This is my answer too! Then hope there are no further questions about where I read it…

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

EarthboundMermaid posted:

This is my answer too! Then hope there are no further questions about where I read it…

I invited some goons to my wedding and I introduced them to my imminent-wife as "they're from the internet".

They have yet to forgive me.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

my company just split in half... we sold half the company to a third party... 2/3rds of employees were informed they would be joining that business we just sold to... with a 1 year contract guaranteeing employment and current salary/benefits...

a lot of the biggest names are moving over.

we also bought a smaller company and will be keeping the remaining 1/3rd of products and employees.

a lot of really great employees including our key coders are staying along with me.

no one knows what the gently caress is going on, everyone is freaking out and trying to guess if they got hosed or not. Did you want to be moved to the new team or did you get hosed for not being left with the old one?

We likely won't know for another 10 months as we "continue out duties" during the "transition"

wild

Guess it's time to take a look at the resume for the first time in like 5 years.... at least i gained some skills in finance that should be helpful if I do need a new job.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Silly Newbie posted:

I'm currently doing a Nexonia to Concur migration, please feel free to share any major things with your concur implementation that piss you off so I can avoid them.

Names. Do not assume that you have a good list of names. Do not assume HR has a good list of names. And for fucks sake do not assume AD has a good list of names. During the pandemic, the company I work for decided to change travel agents. Which apparently wiped all of our info from the system. So they just grabbed names from AD and used that to populate our names in Concur. Except AD had a diminutive of my name. Not my name as it appears on my ID. Neither the airlines or TSA will accept that.

Make sure the e-receipts are enabled. A number of services I use can send the receipts right to my account if e-receipts are enabled. Saves a fair amount of time for me, and it reduces the chance finance gets an expense without a receipt.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Aramoro posted:

Wait where did you get a copy of our playbook?

There's a government field manual for that.

https://www.openculture.com/2022/01/read-the-cias-simple-sabotage-field-manual.html

sneakyfrog posted:

lunch and learn

"the dangers of stress eating"

We did a session on "Avoiding Burnout" late in 2020. Someone mentioned I had my camera off (I did not have a camera for WFH until this week). I said "Nobody wants to watch me eat brunch. So that got the session kicked off nicely with most of the participants admitting to not being able to make to to just eat.

Now we're officially Back To The Office.... with Covid precautions back up to Code Yellow, and a Site Contact Advisory every loving day.

I miss being scared and stressed out about vague things, not "we're putting more and more people in close proximity, good luck."

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Thomamelas posted:

Names. Do not assume that you have a good list of names. Do not assume HR has a good list of names. And for fucks sake do not assume AD has a good list of names. During the pandemic, the company I work for decided to change travel agents. Which apparently wiped all of our info from the system. So they just grabbed names from AD and used that to populate our names in Concur. Except AD had a diminutive of my name. Not my name as it appears on my ID. Neither the airlines or TSA will accept that.

Make sure the e-receipts are enabled. A number of services I use can send the receipts right to my account if e-receipts are enabled. Saves a fair amount of time for me, and it reduces the chance finance gets an expense without a receipt.

Oh poo poo, this is incredibly important, as we're going to leverage concur travel hard and our people travel a lot. Thank you for bringing this up, it would have totally flown under my radar.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Oh cool! My stupid dipshit boss hosed up on ordering and got twice as much parasitic acid as I asked for and got no nitric acid! Guess I won't be cleaning off scale this time and I have him getting lovely with me over his loving mistake to look forward to!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Oh cool! My stupid dipshit boss hosed up on ordering and got twice as much parasitic acid as I asked for and got no nitric acid! Guess I won't be cleaning off scale this time and I have him getting lovely with me over his loving mistake to look forward to!

boss: but they’re both acids!

sounds like your boss is doing some learned incompetence and weaponizing it

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

champagne posting posted:

boss: but they’re both acids!

sounds like your boss is doing some learned incompetence and weaponizing it

I may also be overreacting. I'm not in a good mood in regards to this place lately and seriously considering major changes and it doesn't feel great.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I may also be overreacting. I'm not in a good mood in regards to this place lately and seriously considering major changes and it doesn't feel great.

Nope that's a perfectly normal reaction since not being able to clean leads to not being able to produce food before your boss realizes

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

sneakyfrog posted:

lunch and learn

"the dangers of stress eating"

lunch will be provided.

Is this amateur hour here? You schedule a meeting called 'All Hands' with no agenda but only invite some people to it, provide lunch and then say it's Lunch and Learn "the dangers of stress eating".

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Our company is trying to schedule a no zoom day where you just do stuff no meetings. It clashes with the Mental Health workshops which are on Zoom.

EarthboundMermaid
Mar 6, 2012

Go then, there are other worlds than these.

Atopian posted:

I invited some goons to my wedding and I introduced them to my imminent-wife as "they're from the internet".

They have yet to forgive me.

Genuinely laughed out loud at this, thank you.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

lol. Peracetic acid?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

McGavin posted:

lol. Peracetic acid?

Lol. Yeah. I should have known! loving voice to text and I should have noticed this. I suck at spelling! Nooooooooo!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Wendigee posted:

my company just split in half... we sold half the company to a third party... 2/3rds of employees were informed they would be joining that business we just sold to... with a 1 year contract guaranteeing employment and current salary/benefits...

a lot of the biggest names are moving over.

we also bought a smaller company and will be keeping the remaining 1/3rd of products and employees.

a lot of really great employees including our key coders are staying along with me.

no one knows what the gently caress is going on, everyone is freaking out and trying to guess if they got hosed or not. Did you want to be moved to the new team or did you get hosed for not being left with the old one?

We likely won't know for another 10 months as we "continue out duties" during the "transition"

wild

Guess it's time to take a look at the resume for the first time in like 5 years.... at least i gained some skills in finance that should be helpful if I do need a new job.
Holy poo poo.

I went through this over ten years ago. A few years later, the original company (that I stayed with) "died" on the eve of a "put all chips on a buyout" that was abandoned.

For me, splitting of the company was way more stressful, anxiety filled, and frustrating than the company actually going out of business.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cheesus posted:

For me, splitting of the company was way more stressful, anxiety filled, and frustrating than the company actually going out of business.

Sounds like there's not better time to quit your job (or just show up and apply for new jobs) than when a company is split

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Scientastic posted:

What? That should definitely not be the case.

Usually if you’re having to replace your probe a lot it’s because you’re using the wrong probe for the application…

Either that, or someone is not maintaining it properly/storing it correctly when it’s not being used.

Industry standard YSI Pro DSS pH probes cost about $300 and have a 12-18 month lifespan whether you use them or not. This is for environmental monitoring so maybe it's different for food stuff?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Dumb poo poo recruiters do: I've had two recruiters message me on LinkedIn explaining how they need be to apply to this ME position.
My profile is pretty clear that I'm an EE. Is this a lazy, poorly automated script?

I also got another recruiter messaged me to apply for a job with the weapons group at LANL.
Lolwat gtfo

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I still get contacted by recruiters from a career and country I left 8 years ago. I've told them multiple times I am not there anymore. They just fling poo poo at the wall and hope something sticks.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TotalLossBrain posted:

Dumb poo poo recruiters do: I've had two recruiters message me on LinkedIn explaining how they need be to apply to this ME position.
My profile is pretty clear that I'm an EE. Is this a lazy, poorly automated script?

I also got another recruiter messaged me to apply for a job with the weapons group at LANL.
Lolwat gtfo

Recruiter: One engineer is as good as the next

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

mllaneza posted:

There's a government field manual for that.

https://www.openculture.com/2022/01/read-the-cias-simple-sabotage-field-manual.html

Now we're officially Back To The Office.... with Covid precautions back up to Code Yellow, and a Site Contact Advisory every loving day.

I miss being scared and stressed out about vague things, not "we're putting more and more people in close proximity, good luck."

We just had our RTO this week for my team.

My manager is out for 4 weeks. He likes going into the office, but basically told me before he left that he doesn't give a poo poo about RTO rules until he gets back.

I'm acting as manager in his stead and 500 miles away, approved for full telecommute. I'm obviously not going in.

I basically asked that anyone that isn't full telecommute approved and/or already going in (we have one who prefers in office work and goes in 90% of the time, and three more that go in 2-3X a week) go in at least once to make sure things are working for them at their desks, because there is more floor support than usual this week.

Only one did, and was IM-ing me two hours in about how much she hates it.

This is so not a job that needs to be done in person. Can we just go "hey, work from home as much as you want, come in if you prefer to or your internet is down for the day or something?" I think we're heading there anyway...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Mechatronics. It's a spectrum.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Outrail posted:

I still get contacted by recruiters from a career and country I left 8 years ago. I've told them multiple times I am not there anymore. They just fling poo poo at the wall and hope something sticks.

Tech recruiter here, and even when we are careful in our search for qualified candidates, we have to contact a LOT of people to find the right fit (correct experience, correct area, correct seniority level, correct compensation, looking to move jobs). So yeah, many recruiters, usually the big ones (that may possibly just be an overseas cube farm), will just send messages to everybody that fits enough keywords, usually based on an old resume you uploaded to Monster or Indeed and then forgot about years ago. I still get emails recruiting me for $20/hr Admin Assistant jobs in a city I'm 400+ miles from now.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Coworker praised their dept's daily standups as it is a wonderful way to get movie and restaurant recommendations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm sorry if I missed this, but does anyone else work at a company where they hired waves and waves of new people so it ended up that there were whole departments of people who had -- at most -- 4-ish months of experience?

Currently I work at a company where there are four QA people on my team (myself included) -- my boss has a year of experience being a boss altogether, today is my two-month-iversary, and the other QA people got hired like three weeks ago. THEY'RE asking ME for help, and it feels very "blind leading the blind"-y.

There's also the fact that onboarding took about a month, and part 1 was for marketing-centric, and part 2 was dev-centric, so I spent about a month learning very little that would actually help me do my own job.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm sorry if I missed this, but does anyone else work at a company where they hired waves and waves of new people so it ended up that there were whole departments of people who had -- at most -- 4-ish months of experience?

Yes, the last startup I was in once it went public. It was never clear to me what business value these departments created other than empire building by sheer numbers for various VPs and SVPs.

I heard from someone who it still there just this morning that they are closing what sounded like 1/3 of their global offices and probably getting rid of most of the people who used to report to those offices.

To be clear, I was employee number 3xx, we went public with like 6-700 and two years later we had nearly 2500 people. It was ludicrous. Other than sales and increased admin staffing I'm not sure any of it impacted our gross. But it sure did impact net.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 27, 2022

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

YeahTubaMike posted:

Currently I work at a company where there are four QA people on my team (myself included) -- my boss has a year of experience being a boss altogether, today is my two-month-iversary, and the other QA people got hired like three weeks ago. THEY'RE asking ME for help, and it feels very "blind leading the blind"-y.

There's also the fact that onboarding took about a month, and part 1 was for marketing-centric, and part 2 was dev-centric, so I spent about a month learning very little that would actually help me do my own job.

This was me lol. I came on as a automation QA with no experience. I was told to learn C# and teach others. It was hilarious. I'm ok at it now but it sucked for a long while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

goatface posted:

Mechatronics. It's a spectrum.

The company I work for are all either Electrical Engineering Technology (EET), Mechantronics, or no degrees. PLC, HMI, and SCADA work.

Even the Bosses/Owners only have EET degrees, no masters or fancy EE here!