Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

if only they knew how much in common they have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
probably won't last for long in this poo poo rear end country but DC is taking the fight to the trucks

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1529830472330711041?s=20&t=CPMCsZ1fw4yN_43ezrYwVQ

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

peebike

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Samuel Glompers posted:

This is insane. There can be no justifying this, but what's the official reason? And where is this godawful punitive garbage happening?

Rural Wyoming, and I have no idea how they justify it except that it is simply not considered. I'm extremely weird out here as a bike-rider, most people here think of cars as shoes, they assume everyone has at least 4 lying around. I had a lease for a small lot in-town out here for a while, and it explicitly stated I'm not to have more then 7 vehicles parked on the property. I see why, half the homes around here look like miniature junkyards there's so many car and truck parts littered around. Lots of snowmobiles and ATVs too, and some bikes, even nice ones. But I rarely see anybody riding one.

I agree that it's not fair and the beef is with the Food Bank of Wyoming people, who are just terrible. We used to partner with Food Bank of the Rockies who I had worked with before in Colorado, and they're not bad. They have issues but they're a hundred times better than Food Bank of Wyoming. When Covid started everything got shifted around, and the program has been hanging on for dear life ever since, we even have to bring our own bags and boxes and tape from home most of the time. I've complained in-person before about other issues and been slapped down by our abysmally rude representative, and they don't seem to respond to emails etc, so I honestly have no idea how to fix things.

It all may be moot anyway because we keep getting told that rising gas prices are making the truck they ship things out here on too expensive and that might end the program. I think that's a flat-out lie, but if that's the excuse they latch onto for killing the program, then I'll just have to shrug and accept it I guess. It's more than a little frustrating.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

how many of you have added an ebike to your transport mix. give it a go. it whips

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Favorite pro-bike/anti-car resources? Doing a presentation next week on the subject of bike commuting and want to turn people onto stuff like “Not Just Bikes.”

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I've been enjoying CityNerd, though he is a bit drier than a lot of the similar channels

Just search "stroad" on YouTube and you will get 5-6 different channels, I assume that you can do the same on Google to find resources that aren't YouTube

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dog Case posted:

The popular new thing is for the 10,000 contractors around here to tow these huge loving trailers behind their giant lifted trucks when they drive down to Home Depot to buy a contractor pack of boob lights for their latest remodel

But the box might scuff my bed.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Mayor Dave posted:

probably won't last for long in this poo poo rear end country but DC is taking the fight to the trucks

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1529830472330711041?s=20&t=CPMCsZ1fw4yN_43ezrYwVQ

this is great but even 500/yr is like a tenth of what it should be for starters. and we should also make it clear that the 6k limit is eventually going to be a 5k limit, and people driving these things into the city will be charged as well, and...

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Registration fees based on weight have been around for decades, there is nothing groundbreaking about this. There's like 10 states that already do that.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

An apartment's car stacker died 9 months ago in Australia, no stacker no car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmLp4UBdqB8

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Wolfy posted:

In theory this could work but you know this street is signed for 25 yet the cars are going 45 so that crossing is loving terrifying

well they have to drive over the speed limit to keep up with traffic or else it's really dangerous

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

y’all folks ready to get tactically urban?

"the failing seattle times posted:

When the crosswalk at 83rd and Greenwood showed up last September, it didn’t look like all the others. Rather than the piano key pattern used by the Seattle Department of Transportation — staccato bars of white paint, separated in pairs of two — this one was a series of large, evenly spaced white blocks.

It didn’t look like the others because this crossing was painted in the middle of the night, without city approval. By whom is unclear; no one’s claimed credit and those who may have an inkling either can’t or won’t say.

While its beginnings are unknown, its ends are not: SDOT scraped the guerrilla crosswalk off the street earlier this month.

Spokesperson for SDOT, Ethan Bergerson, said the city plans to install a permanent crossing there, which is part of a designated bike route to and from Green Lake. It will include signage and traffic signals, and installation should begin in the next several months, he said.

But residents of Greenwood say they’ve been told for years now a crossing was coming but have yet to see any progress. It was originally supposed to be built in 2021, but delays related to COVID-19 and the supply chain, as well as labor being diverted to the West Seattle Bridge, pushed it down the road. It’s for this reason that, while he doesn’t love individuals bypassing community input and had his own questions about the crosswalk’s safety, Greenwood resident Rob Fellows can understand why someone would take matters into their own hands.

“It’s impatience,” he said. “It’s a form of activism — let’s get this thing going, let’s change the city’s priorities. It’s well meaning. The people who put it out there were trying to do something good for the neighborhood, I don’t have any question about that.”

There’s a name for when community members make unsanctioned changes to city-owned streets: “tactical urbanism.”

“Tactical urbanism to me is essentially what a fed-up citizenry takes into their own hands when it comes to their own safety on their streets and sidewalks,” said Ben Scott, a Greenwood resident who’s documented the saga of the 83rd Street crosswalk.

Acts of tactical urbanism pop up occasionally in Seattle. A similar crosswalk appeared in South Seattle sometime in the summer of 2020. Clara Cantor, a community organizer with Seattle Neighborhood Greenways, noticed it on walks with her newborn. A year later, that, too, was scratched off, with SDOT telling her it didn’t meet city specifications.

Forrest Baum, an environmental studies student at the University of Washington who’s involved with Greenwood-Phinney Greenways, pointed to another form of tactical urbanism: the large concrete blocks businesses have laid in Ballard and near the Ship Canal to keep people living in RVs from parking long-term.

Los Angeles had its own version of the Greenwood episode as well; a group painted four crosswalks at an intersection before the Los Angeles Department of Transportation removed them.

The intersection at 83rd is in the heart of Greenwood, next to Coyle’s Bakeshop. It’s also part of a neighborhood greenway — a route labeled for bicyclists — following 83rd from Green Lake to First Avenue Northwest.

People cross at 83rd whether there’s a crosswalk or not, said Scott, but when one arrived in September, he said cars seemed to slow in a way they hadn’t before and no longer blocked the curb ramp as they dashed into Coyle’s for a pastry.

“It was one of those things that, when it popped up, a lot of people were like, ‘Oh, great, how exciting that that’s here,’ ” said Ryan DiRaimo, an architect and housing advocate who lives in the area. “That’s what I thought was really intriguing about it, but at the same time I wondered when they would scrape it off.”

SDOT built a crosswalk on 84th, one block to the north, but Scott said that crossing is illogical for bike riders following the 83rd route.

“The suggestion that you should use a different crossing than the one that makes sense for your path is one that we ascribe to pedestrians and bikers only,” he said.

Baum said his kindergartner has begun riding his bike recently. Baum liked that the crosswalk could slow traffic through Greenwood. “I thought it was really useful as far as someone who’s walked across there and biked that way,” he said.

But Fellows, who works in transportation and supports putting a crosswalk at the intersection, had concerns that this one may create safety issues. “The paint isn’t reflective, there’s no stop signs, there’s no notice to drivers that things are going to be different there,” he said.

There were likely liability concerns as well, he said. “If you’re a traffic person, you spend half your life in tort claim court.”

The life span of the crosswalk was roughly eight months. Bergerson with SDOT said it didn’t meet the department’s standards but said the installation of traffic signals should begin this year. “We’re working to get the word out to the public,” he said. It won’t arrive tomorrow, he added. “It just takes some time.”

Baum said he wouldn’t have minded its removal if it had been immediately paired with a specific plan for it replacement. Absent that, “even though it’s this sneaky tactical thing, I think taking away something that people feel is an asset to the community is going to rub some people the wrong way,” he said.

this city hates pedestrians more than its drivers do in my experience, which is a hell of a feat

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

what if bollards came up at red lights. would be pretty funny

if only drivers had to fear for their own lives the same way non-drivers have to do in their presence

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The people who usually spend their days complaining about bike lanes in my city have branched out into complaining about curb extensions at intersections because they slow down people making right turns.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
making cars safer for the occupants and deadlier for everyone else, a continuing saga

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

gone private what was this

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

gone private what was this

a picture of ebike next to an American-style truck

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Painting an "illegal" pedestrian crossing here is a bigger offence than running someone over in a car lmao loving lol

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

a picture of ebike next to an American-style truck

That was captioned something along the lines of "one of these things makes people see you as forcing your lifestyle on others"

I feel like it was worded better but I can't remember it

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ah

https://twitter.com/wippdrechler/status/1529920018867179539

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

mawarannahr posted:

y’all folks ready to get tactically urban?

this city hates pedestrians more than its drivers do in my experience, which is a hell of a feat

People need to upgrade from guerilla crosswalks to guerilla bollards.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Maybe someone should figure out how to make normal-looking functional traffic signals for crosswalks as cheaply as possible.

mystes has issued a correction as of 14:11 on May 27, 2022

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

https://twitter.com/CyclingTodayEn/status/838154079574568961

mystes
May 31, 2006

quote:

A spokesperson for the city said the plungers were not placed by the city and police said the person responsible could be cited for littering. The city is aware of the intersection and that is has long-term plans to make improvements.
Wow, the city is aware of the intersection! Reassuring!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

mystes posted:

Wow, the city is aware of the intersection! Reassuring!

I can't find the article now but someone did the same thing overnight in Denver with toilet plungers on a bike lane after a cyclist got merked and the city was bragging about how they removed all the plungers before noon.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's dumb how they often say they removed the stuff that people added but are vaguely thinking of making some improvement (but won't actually, of course) but I found the phrasing "aware of the intersection" here particularly dumb because they're not even saying they're aware of complaints about the intersection or something like that. It's like... yeah, they're the city the intersection is in. How the gently caress could they NOT be "aware" of the intersection? Are there intersections that they somehow AREN'T aware of?

Also, in a perfect world I feel like they shouldn't even be allowed to remove zebra stripes or bollards that people add as long as they're done properly (in some places there are decisions about whether to make specific crossings "crosswalks" but in California as in some other states like Virginia I think there are always "crosswalks" at intersections even if they aren't marked so they don't even have that excuse so by removing zebra stripes that people have added it seems almost like they're trying to illegally pretend the crossing isn't a "crosswalk").

Edit: I also hate how the bar for getting any improvement made for pedestrian safety is so ridiculously high whereas if it was something affecting cars they would probably be out there within 24 hours.

mystes has issued a correction as of 16:51 on May 27, 2022

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

mystes posted:

Edit: I also hate how the bar for getting any improvement made for pedestrian safety is so ridiculously high whereas if it was something affecting cars they would probably be out there within 24 hours.

They way I had it explained to me was that it was very easy for cities to build things that comply with their traffic enginnering design manual - which was usually based on 1950s or 60s traffic management philosophy and deals entirely with moving as many cars as quickly as possible through an area. If they want to build a strode they can just do it - it's right there in the list of approved designs.

All the designs that increase pedestrian safety tend to be a lot more modern and not in the official manual, so each one is a special project that requires extra meetings and community input and consultants, etc..

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mystes posted:

Maybe someone should figure out how to make normal-looking functional traffic signals for crosswalks as cheaply as possible.

You don't have to - in France (unlike the UK) they don't require signals at ped crossings, just paint. Obv they aren't as good, but it means there are loads of them and they can be installed quickly and cheaply. Pedestrians have right of way as well, so you don't have to wait for a light, just make sure the driver has seen you and they'll slow down.

Perhaps won't work on some lovely stroad though unless the system is really hammered home in more urban settings

mystes
May 31, 2006

distortion park posted:

You don't have to - in France (unlike the UK) they don't require signals at ped crossings, just paint. Obv they aren't as good, but it means there are loads of them and they can be installed quickly and cheaply. Pedestrians have right of way as well, so you don't have to wait for a light, just make sure the driver has seen you and they'll slow down.

Perhaps won't work on some lovely stroad though unless the system is really hammered home in more urban settings
I mean with proper laws that were actually enforced, yeah everyone would stop for pedestrians. In the US, real signals (and not RRFBs) are literally the only thing that will get cars to stop a significant fraction of the time so if you could somehow magically install them at every crosswalk it would be a pretty decent improvement.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
got my bike out of the shop time to Ride! To! Work!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

did you know the head of your local department of transportation has a deviantart account?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://twitter.com/ihatetef/status/1530253209041833987?s=20&t=pkYxHGHFG57AN1VIO3ZUnw

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mayor Dave posted:

people who buy and feed something like an F250 to use at city MPG and prices won’t blink at $500/year, they’ll bitch and moan but it won’t change anyone’s mind. it should be 1k minimum, also measure driver line of sight over the hood, and quadruple any parking or moving violation fines

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

lmfao its like a zombie movie

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

lmfao its like a zombie movie

I’ve never seen a zombie movie where the zombie is driving. gently caress that driver

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

indigi posted:

quadruple any parking or moving violation fines

yes

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

arrrgh conflicted about this one lmao

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

the answer is obvious: though you may leave the car the car does not necessarily leave you, and can persist as a state of mind / being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Boywhiz88 posted:

Favorite pro-bike/anti-car resources? Doing a presentation next week on the subject of bike commuting and want to turn people onto stuff like “Not Just Bikes.”

The war on cars podcast