Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

bltzn posted:

The light morse code part must have been written by an intern or something (I have no idea how scriptwriting actually works) because it was really, really dumb. Why would an advanced civilization with spaceships and presumably wireless communication and a written language talk to each other by... pointing their ships at each other doing visual morse code?

I want to believe they cut out a scene where it's explained. Like, the Gorn talk in clicks apparently? And inside the brown dwarf the Enterprise had to power down so maybe the Gorn ships needed to power down too and lost communications? So they had to improvise a way of communicating with each other? All this would be plausible except in La'an's memory there are two ships doing light morse code to each other in a totally different situation. So much for that hypothesis.

I don't recall them mentioning it, but realistically it would have to be super massive to be able to close to the event horizon without getting spaghettified.

Light morse code isn't that different from binary signals being passed along fiber optics cables using pulses of light to commmunicate, which we actually currently use in the real world, IMO. What doesn't get a pass is that somehow they use that method of communication to speak in plain English??? Or does the Federation know Gornish?

Ultimately that's such a minor nerd nitpick that I just don't care and I didn't even notice it while I was watching. This was my favorite episode so far. That says a lot, since my favorite episodes of Trek are the slow, thoughtful, philosophical and moral dilemma episodes and this was a loving badass submarine action show. I loved seeing M'Benga with the blood bag, I feel like I finally have a full handle on him, now. He's Wilson from House, the infinitely empathetic to the point of self-martyrdom doctor. Maybe with a bit more playful/experimental edge, which fits wonderfully on an exploratory vessel of peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pik_d posted:

I wonder how much of Pike's confidence in the Enterprise is him knowing when he dies and it's "Not loving Yet".

I wonder if that was intentional or not

It is most definitely an intentional mix of raw natural command charisma and "I'm fireproof, bitches!"

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
the scanning not-morse code is because coms, sensors, drat near everything was down in the accretion disc/brown dwarf, leaving nothing but line of sight and enterprise's turbulence radar. The code is the a version of the Gorn's clicky hunting language (or actual language, idk) based off of the La'an mindmeld flashback and her brother's decoding before getting eaten

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I agree it's pretty goofy but it's Trek goofy if that makes sense, and therefore OK to me

:hmmyes:

edit:

Grimoire posted:

the scanning not-morse code is because coms, sensors, drat near everything was down in the accretion disc/brown dwarf, leaving nothing but line of sight and enterprise's turbulence radar. The code is the a version of the Gorn's clicky hunting language (or actual language, idk) based off of the La'an mindmeld flashback and her brother's decoding before getting eaten

Oh right, La'an knows Gorn. Alright then, that works. She learned some basic Gornish from her brother and they used that to communicate using light pulses. The VFX made it look a little silly, but I'm not sure that's even a bad thing. I sure as hell don't come to Star Trek for hard sci-fi.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 27, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

XboxPants posted:

Or does the Federation know Gornish?

As spoken on their homeworld Gornwall

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

So, does Spock still have a bad relationship with Sarek as of Discovery or did they just throw that out the window?

Yes. Discovery showed why their relationship went bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Perhaps the Gorn are dipshits

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
One of these days Spock is just going to wake up in a cold sweat, suddenly remembering that Sybok exists.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Episode 4 was good and Una's gold nail polish was excellent

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gornish still doesn't work because they had the codes for English letters not words

Useless

But it's very Trek Dumb and doesn't really detract

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

XboxPants posted:

Light morse code isn't that different from binary signals being passed along fiber optics cables using pulses of light to commmunicate, which we actually currently use in the real world, IMO. What doesn't get a pass is that somehow they use that method of communication to speak in plain English??? Or does the Federation know Gornish?

The stupid part isn't the language itself, it's the fact that they have to flash lights at each other from within spitting distance to be able to communicate. In space. I wouldn't call it a minor nerd nitpick because it's one of those things that completely ignores the basic premise of the show's setting. It would be equally egregious if they revealed that gorn ships communicate by having one guy eva from one ship to the other to personally deliver hand written letter to the recipient. It found it pretty jarring, personally.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

CPColin posted:

Episode 4 was good and Una's gold nail polish was excellent

OMG I can't believe I forgot about that, it was so sparkly and future campy make-up-ish :3:

While I'm talking about aesthetics, I was lmao at that Vulcan ceremony from the preview. What "logical" purpose do all those pretty bells and fancy makeup serve, hmm? Perhaps my favorite thing about Vulcan culture is how completely full of poo poo they are.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bltzn posted:

The stupid part isn't the language itself, it's the fact that they have to flash lights at each other from within spitting distance to be able to communicate. In space. I wouldn't call it a minor nerd nitpick because it's one of those things that completely ignores the basic premise of the show's setting. It would be equally egregious if they revealed that gorn ships communicate by having one guy eva from one ship to the other to personally deliver hand written letter to the recipient.

Opposite. The problem is the language.

Aliens doing alien things is whatever. Yeah it seems dumb but so do any number of the things the federation does, from a beep boop perspective. It's cultural.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

Grimoire posted:

That's what I thought at first too until they showed La'an personally observing the scanning not-morse code thing in her memory.

:goonsay: aside, I enjoyed this episode.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

bltzn posted:

That's what I thought at first too until they showed La'an personally observing the scanning not-morse code thing in her memory.

:goonsay: aside, I enjoyed this episode.

I suppose if it really bothers anyone, it's easily no-prized as a artifact of her explicitly confused and inaccurate memories.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

XboxPants posted:

I suppose if it really bothers anyone, it's easily no-prized as a artifact of her explicitly confused and inaccurate memories.

But the language she (mis?)remembered from childhood worked

Quite a coincidence

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Bloop posted:

But the language she remembered from childhood worked

Quite a coincidence

It's like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE63y7ctAwA

"I saw Gorn ships communicating and they were flashing lights and then they started to have a space rave"

There's an element of truth there but that doesn't mean every part of the memory happened exactly as we were shown. In fact, we know that it didn't, Spock had to help her pull apart the tangled mess. For instance, in her memory she was shifting back and forth between child and adult but I don't think that was actually happening.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean she didn't see herself in the memory that was just a filmmaking trope for the audience to make sure the slower viewers would know who that kid was

The point is that she remembered and then used a morse code style English letters language and the gorn behaved congruently with how they might if her memory was accurate

Deciding to assume that her memory was wrong but her flashing lights coincidentally obtained the intended result anyway is a very strange way to watch the show imo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bltzn posted:

The stupid part isn't the language itself, it's the fact that they have to flash lights at each other from within spitting distance to be able to communicate. In space. I wouldn't call it a minor nerd nitpick because it's one of those things that completely ignores the basic premise of the show's setting. It would be equally egregious if they revealed that gorn ships communicate by having one guy eva from one ship to the other to personally deliver hand written letter to the recipient. It found it pretty jarring, personally.

Grimoire posted:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Bloop posted:

I mean she didn't see herself in the memory that was just a filmmaking trope for the audience to make sure the slower viewers would know who that kid was

The point is that she remembered and then used a morse code style English letters language and the gorn behaved congruently with how they might if her memory was accurate

Deciding to assume that her memory was wrong but her flashing lights coincidentally obtained the intended result anyway is a very strange way to watch the show imo

Annoying thing is the first page was just words. If they had just stuck to words it would of been fine! (I mean technically you'd want info about the syntax as well to make a sentence which isn't garbled garbage by anything but pure luck, but whatever).

Do find it funny that they had her figuring out a linguistics problem, while you have the brilliant linguistics expert off doing engineering. As the "problem" was just her remembering stuff, plot wise did make total sense.

Also I hope they bring back Chapel being interested in ancient medicines. Save someone by realigning their humors you cowards!

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

bltzn posted:

I want to believe they cut out a scene where it's explained. Like, the Gorn talk in clicks apparently? And inside the brown dwarf the Enterprise had to power down so maybe the Gorn ships needed to power down too and lost communications? So they had to improvise a way of communicating with each other? All this would be plausible except in La'an's memory there are two ships doing light morse code to each other in a totally different situation. So much for that hypothesis.

:mad:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Sorry, I'm only fluent in Vulcanian and Klingonese.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I enjoy SNW! :yeah:

Also I instinctively rolled my eyes at the Michael Burnam reference so I’m glad they didn’t stick with it too much.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
*hears Burnham’s voice*

Spock: gently caress this poo poo, abort

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

That was excellent, I love any episode where they do some desperate submarine type poo poo (the DS9 episode where they use Nog to communicate with engineering comes to mind). If I had any complaint it would be that I wish they’d dial back the intensity just a tiny bit. No more save the universe plot that nu-Trek loves but now the Enterprise is just being put into life or death situations every single episode. Give me some poo poo where they have to help a deaf/mute negotiator or something.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think this is my favorite episode of the season so far. Tense, exciting; who doesn't love an episode of trek that's Submarines in Space?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

holefoods posted:

If I had any complaint it would be that I wish they’d dial back the intensity just a tiny bit. No more save the universe plot that nu-Trek loves but now the Enterprise is just being put into life or death situations every single episode. Give me some poo poo where they have to help a deaf/mute negotiator or something.

I mean you say that, but than suddenly bam interpreters disintegrated out of nowhere, tribal warfare threatening to irrupt at any moment! Stakes and action everywhere!!!!!! Can a single negotiation not just go smoothly on any of the enterprises!!!

But yeah, do know what you mean. Next episodes meant to be a comedy so I'm sure that will be more chill. *checks out next weeks trailer* Oh fight to the death you say.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I grew up in that period where you could see a five second clip from Star Trek, know what line came next and what episode it was and not be a trekkie. While I love the nods to the show and the movies, the writing and performances on the show have been great.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It's been a while since I've seen an episode of TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY, and I suppose they're a product of their time, but SNW seems way more banter-y and crew-friendly (?) compared to them. Am I misremembering?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hiddenriverninja posted:

It's been a while since I've seen an episode of TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY, and I suppose they're a product of their time, but SNW seems way more banter-y and crew-friendly (?) compared to them. Am I misremembering?

DS9 was pretty crew, well staff friendly. There would often be quite a bit of chatter, and scenes of people just hanging out when off duty.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Neat!

https://twitter.com/timothypeel1/status/1529883211316305927?s=21&t=bS2n8UrVcRw8VP7qsdm4Jg

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The UIs for Strange New Worlds look loving great. A good precursor to the LCARS while also putting a hefty amount of distance between the Trek 09/Discovery/Picard S1 visual diarrhea garbage interfaces. Very fine work.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Language chat: I liked that the language was either not fully figured out or they have no B, even if the 1:1 equivalence is otherwise silly.

I also heard that l"yipping dog" sound from TOS on the bridge during the red alert – not sure how to better describe it. It's part of the TOS bridge background noise, best heard e.g. in the DVD menus.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

VOY and the first two seasons of TNG get badly dragged down in this comparison by the producers' insistence that none of the characters show character of any kind.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

bltzn posted:

It's jarring because the ships were too crystal clear visually, someone not paying attention would look at the shot and not know these ships were inside a gas cloud so dense it was crushing the ships. Which is tricky cause the Gorn hulls are a similar color to the gas, and a very amorphous shape, so I imagine the director was trying to avoid obscuring them too much. As soon as I saw the flashes I got what they were doing and why, but this is definitely something that could have been done a bit better.

And yeah, her brother's Gorn language writings are a bit much, especially having the English alphabet transcribed... like I don't think Uhura could do that without a computer. They could have left that with simple phrases like "run", "kill", "danger" etc.

Other than that I loved this a lot, callback to Voyager using it's own torps as mines that one time, the black hole bit was gorgeous, and Sub Trek is always best Trek.... except that time when Diana used her mind rape trauma to find Ron Perlman.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

star trek has never been ‘serious’ science fiction, it’s always been dumb as hell and that’s part of the charm

had been expecting they’d use chekhov’s nuclear air filter to blow up the big gorn ship but at least it looked cool in the accretion disc

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

The UIs for Strange New Worlds look loving great. A good precursor to the LCARS while also putting a hefty amount of distance between the Trek 09/Discovery/Picard S1 visual diarrhea garbage interfaces. Very fine work.

Yep, it just looks usable. Also as has been said many times in this thread, it's a really nice effect when they bug out for half a second or so when ever the ship gets hit. sells the ships getting damaged far more then "wooo random exploding consoles" does.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

hiddenriverninja posted:

No it is, they feel like modern americans more than people in the old shows
I find that bad but it's subjective, I like it in Orville so I dunno

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gotta wonder if this guy thought he auditioned for like a super expensive beer commercial or something

Whatever the case, this gif should be in the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Surprised nobody else is mentioning relief that the bad "I'm trauma locked" line we were worried about ended up being perfectly fine. Maybe only 3 people were worried? I dunno. But the language talk I expected to happen so it's time to point something out:

Not only are they using English, the translation missed some letters, so she never really learned the language in full and has to fill bits in. It's hilariously stupid but good on whoever made this book for making it accurate.

So now I gotta ask... the click language is practically the same as the TNG abduction aliens in the scary "tell the computer about your spooky dream table" episode. Did anyone else think of that?

HD DAD posted:

*hears Burnham’s voice*

Spock: gently caress this poo poo, abort
Nailed it. I seriously hope we can completely separate this show from the rest of NuTrek permanently. Please please please please pleeeeaaaase.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Taear posted:

No it is, they feel like modern americans more than people in the old shows
I find that bad but it's subjective, I like it in Orville so I dunno
So I was thinking about this and figured I'd write my thoughts down. Every show sorta has a professionalism scale that they hit in terms of showing the crew interacting with each other. Let's go chronologically using a completely subjective scale of just how professional characters felt while I watched the show.
ENT: 3/10
ToS: 7/10
TNG: 10/10
DS9: 4/10
VOY: ?/10 I'm gonna be honest I've only watched like 3 episodes of this show, one that was copied by Orville and a couple about the fluid space aliens, and between the food alien, the doctor, and the Vulcan it felt like they were all over the scale.

I'd put SNW's professionalism where it belongs, squarely at the 5/10 space after ENT and before ToS. So, if anything, everyone's kinda acting how they should be acting. DS9 is the only real outlier because it was the backwoods of the Federation and half the cast wasn't in Starfleet.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 27, 2022