Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Yeah turn 1 charge across the table can be done more often than not - screens and tar pits are super important because of this. Also, the question is if you can deal enough damage on that charge. I tend to hand over 1st turn if I can to my opponent in hopes he will overextend, and I also might get double turn. This obviously isn't always an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Also good news is the new Nighthaunt book sounds pretty strong so the matchup wont be too lopsided for very long.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Dreylad posted:

Also good news is the new Nighthaunt book sounds pretty strong so the matchup wont be too lopsided for very long.

Honestly I'm looking forward to the new book coming out, the disparity in faction strengths wasn't too bad when we were both learning the game at first but as we're getting more comfortable witht the rules and list building it's becoming more apparent - anything that means we can have some fun games that aren't total curb stomps one way or the other is good.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Give a medal to the guy who designed the new Nighthaunts, they are very fun.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Another book for aos from bl https://www.warhammer-community.com...n-by-guy-haley/

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Talas posted:

Give a medal to the guy who designed the new Nighthaunts, they are very fun.

Has any of the 3e books been bad? I'm really impressed so far.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Fyreslayers book isn't great, as one guy in the Goonhammer comments will remind you on EVERY battletome review that's come out since then. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Also Stormcast and Orcs will probably fall off over time, but it seems to not be as bad as how Space Marines needed to be patched like it was League of Legends. Bad AoS battletomes mostly suffer in terms of internal balance.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fyreslayers just are not used a lot. Some people have thought it’s pretty decent.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Fyreslayer book is fine it just has a lot of moving bits so you can screw yourself over with mistakes way easier than with for example deepkin. Nurgle book I would say is bad because it has gently caress all for internal balance

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
Fyreslayers are pretty solid from what I've been playing, a runefather/runeson and 10 beserkers is a little squad of unkillable brick shithouses. The big problem is that the warscrolls are pretty much whatever, its a faction that really relies on its book rules and lots of planning around which runes to strike and when and which ones to juice on a hero. Also the anemic shooting, trash movement outside of magmadroths, a certain rune, and a deep strike option, so they struggle on more objective heavy maps. This makes them pretty dead in the water as far as more competitive environments, but for the majority of how sigmar is played they're very fun and got great rules that match the faction.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Fyreslayer book is fine it just has a lot of moving bits so you can screw yourself over with mistakes way easier than with for example deepkin. Nurgle book I would say is bad because it has gently caress all for internal balance

balance is for bitches, send in the PBKs and Plaguebearers while tarpitting with your lings

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/19/play-hide-and-seek-with-deathmasters-skaven-assassins-who-kill-slay-even-the-toughest-foes/

It's time to kill-slay!

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Fyreslayers have actually done pretty well at a handful of tournaments, both Lofnir magmadroth spam and other lodges with lots of foot dwarf beef.

They just aren’t commonly played and the modular nature of the faction rules makes them tough to play well. But the army has a very high skill ceiling.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/blacklibrarycomingsoon/

Another AoS book sneakily announced.
Or might just be a paperback reprint of a previous one.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

Or might just be a paperback reprint of a previous one.
Yeah, that's the book that was released at the start of 3rd edition.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I thought the premise felt a bit too tied in with 3rd edition plotline.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Covermeinsunshine posted:

I have seen the opposite about Nurgle, that it is a very well internally balanced book.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
Nurglea been real strong with the pusgoyle game lately

But yeah sigmar has had very good books that feel on theme and balanced, they don't feel like they're either changing or responding to the meta quite so sharply in the way 40k books are

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Skaven’s gonna be the acid test.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Mors Rattus posted:

Skaven’s gonna be the acid test.

That but also sylvaneth - they were kinda terribad so far. If both of these books come out of the gates swinging while not breaking stuff then the designers can pat themselves on the back

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm just waiting to see if, by some miracle, they manage to make Gloomspite both fun to play and reasonably competitive.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Danimo posted:

if both armies deploy right on the line then yeah many armies can pull off turn 1 charges. Deployment zones are generally either only 18 or 22” away, doesn’t take too much shenanigans to make that doable (nevermind teleporting units). There’s also a couple stairstep diagonal deployment missions where you could start as close as ~12 inches from your opponent.

Most experienced players will try to deploy in a way that minimizes turn 1 charge potential if it’s something their opponent might do, whether it’s with screens or deploying further back. But for newer players is common to see both players just line up everything and charge and throw dice until someone loses the scrum.

Assuming this is the kind were thinking of you actually have to deploy 9" away from enemy territory (which cuts off about 2/3rds of the 3 diagonals boxes off your own territory for deployment) so you do end up functionally 18" away from each other. Same for the 2 variations of the half tables deployments.

Agreed though that turn 1 charges are pretty possible with some shenanigans (Kragnos, advance and charge etc.) and in any situation where both armies move forward, any combat unit that wants to be in combat probably will be at the end of round 1.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Are Sylvaneth getting a whole new book? Guess I’ll hold off on buying their Tome for the moment. I was planning on starting some angry trees

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah Sylvaneth are getting a new book, if you know any Skaven players you could split the new boxed set with them for a collection of the new models they're getting

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Harkano posted:

Assuming this is the kind were thinking of you actually have to deploy 9" away from enemy territory (which cuts off about 2/3rds of the 3 diagonals boxes off your own territory for deployment) so you do end up functionally 18" away from each other. Same for the 2 variations of the half tables deployments.

If the defender deploys a model directly 9” east from the bottom left objective, and the attacker deploys a model directly 9” west of the center objective, those models will be slightly less than 12” from each other going north-south.

You’re only 18” away if you deploy directly opposite from each other on opposite sides of the objectives/points where the territories meet

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah Sylvaneth are getting a new book, if you know any Skaven players you could split the new boxed set with them for a collection of the new models they're getting

I don't, so I'll probably just wait and see if they get split up and sold individually on eBay

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Speaking of eBay, thinking of selling on my piles of Chainrasps given the new battletome's focus on other, beefier units. Would that be insane?

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Painted more ghosts for the ghost hype.

quote:

Speaking of eBay, thinking of selling on my piles of Chainrasps given the new battletome's focus on other, beefier units. Would that be insane?

Not insane, no. But consider that GW may release a white dwarf or campaign supplement that completely changes the Nighthaunt balance.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I would not sell anything untill tome settles in because someone might figure a good build with those

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Fair enough. Of course it was side effect of Nighthaunt being all about Chainrasps, Guardian of Souls, Spirit Torments and Grimghast Reapers.

Reikenor's Condemned was cool while it lasted, I guess.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/23/a-rotten-warcry-rogue-carves-his-way-out-of-the-gnarlwood/

The other new Warband for the next season of Warcry is called the Rotmire Creed.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Rotmire Creedence Clearwater Revival

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Danimo posted:

If the defender deploys a model directly 9” east from the bottom left objective, and the attacker deploys a model directly 9” west of the center objective, those models will be slightly less than 12” from each other going north-south.

You’re only 18” away if you deploy directly opposite from each other on opposite sides of the objectives/points where the territories meet

You are correct. Good catch, thanks!

In order to add some actual thread content I've been starting up Maggotkin. Wanted a Festus but didn't like the old model so followed the Mengel guide with a few touches of my own to build him on the much chunkier chassis of a Blightking.

Original size comparison from Mengel

Also been experimenting with Dirty Down Verdigris - it's very picky, appreciate any tips anyone has!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

These have got a classic He Man / She Ra vibe to them and I loving love it

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/26/outfox-your-opponents-with-teleporting-trees-thanks-to-vibrant-new-sylvaneth-rules

You can now teleport between overcharged tree as Sylvaneth.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

We are absolutely gonna need a FAQ about if you can teleport to the Lady of Vines. I’m absolutely certain you’re supposed to be able to but within 6” rather than 9” but a friend insists you can’t because once a model leaves the table to teleport they are no longer in play and thus no longer consider her a Wyldwood.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Putting together longstrikes sucks so loving bad dude

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Mors Rattus posted:

We are absolutely gonna need a FAQ about if you can teleport to the Lady of Vines. I’m absolutely certain you’re supposed to be able to but within 6” rather than 9” but a friend insists you can’t because once a model leaves the table to teleport they are no longer in play and thus no longer consider her a Wyldwood.

From the way the rule is worded on Lady of Vines, she’s only treated as an Awakened Wildwood if the unit is already within 6” of her. So, she wouldn’t be targetable as a valid destination to begin with. So, I think they’ll be able to teleport away from her, but not TO her.

Edit: actually, the rule says “units within 6” of the LoV are treated as being within 6” of Awakened Wildwoods.” But, the LoV isn’t being treated as an Awakened Woods, the units around her simply consider themselves to be within 6” of a Wildwood. So, the area around the LoV would never be a legal destination for the teleport because she’s never considered a Wildwood, she just… projects a “near a Wildwood” aura to nearby units? I think you’d still be able to teleport away, because you’re “considered to be within 6” of a wildwood” under her effect, but… When they first showed off her ability, I also imagined we’d be teleporting units to her. Thats a bit of a disappointment.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 27, 2022

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My most recent tome purchases arrived yesterday. Not a ton of new lore in the Nighthaunt but the DoK one has some really amazing plot updates that fully commit to us being in the Oh No phase of Morathi’s genius plan,

In no particular order:
The leader of the Kraith sect publicly declared her a false goddess and Morathi had to personally kill her
A hardliner group called the Crone Heralds has formed an underground resistance to her built around the prophecies of Morai-Heg
She no longer trusts her spy network because the Khailebron have been heavily influenced by the Heralds
Bloodwrack Medusae explicitly aren’t originally Scathborn, they’re Witch Aelves transformed by the power of the Shadow Queen half of her and explicitly loyal to the Shadow Queen
Which wouldn’t be a problem except the Shadow Queen is explicitly developing her own free will
Van Brecht and a bunch of the Anvils have sworn never to rest or accept honors until Anvilgard is free, despite there being a temporary truce between Sigmar and Morathi
Oh and after Morathi got mad at losing a fistfight to Kragnos, the Shadow Queen took off solo to demand an enraged rematch
And Morathi didn’t notice until someone told her

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

It is official - Morathi is Nagash/Archaon (I mean in case of Archaon - you can't fail if you don't do poo poo) of order