Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sassassin posted:

Are they going to fight over it if you have multiple suppliers?

You probably get it twice because :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Leading back to the question of, if that's true, why are they loving doing it?

Even if you lose money a bit on the rent, you still and up with a property at a heavily discounted price.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1529887394404741121

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tarnop posted:

Sunak said that one of the payments would be going to people on "non means tested disability benefits". Has anyone found anything defining exactly which benefits fall into this category?

PIP (Personal Independence Payment) is the standard non-means-tested disability benefit, and one of the few that hasn't been folded into Universal Credit (because the whole point is that it plays by different rules).

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Darth Walrus posted:

PIP (Personal Independence Payment) is the standard non-means-tested disability benefit, and one of the few that hasn't been folded into Universal Credit (because the whole point is that it plays by different rules).

Hey I get that one. Thanks

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

Idk there have been a few deeds worth commemorating in the history of Westminster.

Namely;

https://twitter.com/paulodonoghue93/status/1118843566888030208?t=wePw_OnqsrZzRWW9SLGghw&s=19

and I guess Guy Fawkes gets a prize for Attempted Chemistry

Hahaha, gently caress yes

I didn't know about this. What an absolute hero

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wayyyyy Tories are killing CBBC and BBC4

will this be what finally convinces the liberals to do someth- of course not

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Tories: We're just normal men. Innocent men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjPO1k0Y-xA

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Tories kill 6 Music and watch FBPE start a loving war.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

Tories kill 6 Music and watch FBPE start a loving war.

Oh no, where will we get the staggeringly bland daytime playlist next?

(I joke because 6Music is actually one of the two radio stations I ever listen to with Radio Scotland during the football season. And out of daytime they do play some interesting stuff but jesus there is a lot of unremarkable indie along with the same old tunes from the 60s, 70s & 80s, & the playlist is miserable for playing poo poo to death)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
There are more than enough amazing shows and presenters on bbc6 that I'll riot if they kill it

You will prise my Gilles Peterson and Afrodeutsche from my cold dead hands

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
They already tried to kill 6Music once; it was probably the best thing that happened to the station and contributed to it finally gaining wider recognition. I subscribe to too many podcasts these days but when I do listen to the radio, it's nearly always 6music.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 26, 2022

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Where the gently caress am I meant to get weird documentaries about, like, the history of the motorways without bbc4. If they don't move repeats of fred dibnahs world of steam to bbc2 I swear ill do time

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

the sex ghost posted:

Where the gently caress am I meant to get weird documentaries about, like, the history of the motorways without bbc4. If they don't move repeats of fred dibnahs world of steam to bbc2 I swear ill do time

Well, who knew? Roads and beer in one.

https://nationalhighways.co.uk/about-us/history-of-roads-and-national-highways/

quote:

2019 We open the 12 mile bypass which is part of the £1.5 billion A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon project to traffic more than a year ahead of schedule. The project is the largest we’ve delivered to date.

Did you know? Archaeologists working on our flagship A14 project discovered evidence of what they believe to be the first beer brewed in the UK. The brew could date back as far as 400BC.

Also, merging BBC World and BBC News to serve both national and international audiences.

Hm, all the BBC World I ever watched abroad had presenters speaking pure RP (that many foreigners assume all British people speak), while BBC News uses presenters with regional accents. I can't see their audiences are necessarily the same*. It's like from The Might Empires of USA/China/Russian compared to Mornington Crescent.

*unresearched, pure opinion.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 26, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

6music is the only radio I regularly listen to. Mostly just Mary Anne Hobbs though. She's the most reliable source of good new music that I haven't already heard everywhere else.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Foster posted:

There are more than enough amazing shows and presenters on bbc6 that I'll riot if they kill it

You will prise my Gilles Peterson and Afrodeutsche from my cold dead hands

On one hand, the weekend breakfast show with Radcliffe & Maconie makes me want to throw my radio into the sea (a bit where they eat crisps on the radio? gently caress off), on the other Maconie's Freak Zone is extremely good.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Ha.
https://twitter.com/JonnElledge/status/1529838666872397824?s=20&t=nA0nI1eGq6BfIsL0gCQvwA

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

quote:

The eligibility criteria for PIP states claimants must have a health condition or disability which has caused difficulties with daily living and/or difficulties getting around for three months.

People applying for PIP must also expect these difficulties to continue for at least nine months to claim.

People normally need to have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least two out of the last three years to claim PIP, and be in one of these countries when they make their application.

Citizens Advice explain PIP claimants are assessed based on the level of help they need with specific activities.

For example if someone needs help cooking food, eating or drinking, managing treatments or moving around, they may be eligible for PIP.

Further examples of the kinds of activities people eligible for PIP may need help with are listed on the Government website HERE.

Unlike other benefits, such as Universal Credit, PIP is not a means-tested benefit.

Reading that, half of me is thinking that maybe I never understood what means tested meant in the first place, half of me is thinking that maybe the entire concept of means tested was incredibly loving evil and stupid in the first place, but the third half of me, that half is thinking that if this benefit isn't means tested, I would really really loving hate to find out what means tested really means, so I don't even want to know.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tested Means Tested

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The right clicks are coming from inside the house!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
BBC could save money and improve audience figures for Radio 2 in one stroke, by firing Jeremy Vine and Steve Wright

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Reading that, half of me is thinking that maybe I never understood what means tested meant in the first place, half of me is thinking that maybe the entire concept of means tested was incredibly loving evil and stupid in the first place, but the third half of me, that half is thinking that if this benefit isn't means tested, I would really really loving hate to find out what means tested really means, so I don't even want to know.

In this context, it means that PIP is granted based on criteria that have nothing to do with your income. I receive universal credit and PIP. If I started receiving an income from work or elsewhere then I would lose some or all of my universal credit (because it is means tested) but not my PIP (which isn't)

Both the disability element of my universal credit and the PIP have eligibility tests which are the tests that are outsourced to various ghoulish companies and have generated numerous horror stories about mistreatment of claimants and a huge overturn rate at tribunal. Means testing is there to make it too much effort and bureaucracy to claim. The eligibility testing for disability is to dehumanise people and keep them in permanent fear of loss of benefits, while also being its own bureaucratic nightmare of appeals and tribunals.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Its because of the english you see

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tarnop posted:

In this context, it means that PIP is granted based on criteria that have nothing to do with your income. I receive universal credit and PIP. If I started receiving an income from work or elsewhere then I would lose some or all of my universal credit (because it is means tested) but not my PIP (which isn't)

Both the disability element of my universal credit and the PIP have eligibility tests which are the tests that are outsourced to various ghoulish companies and have generated numerous horror stories about mistreatment of claimants and a huge overturn rate at tribunal. Means testing is there to make it too much effort and bureaucracy to claim. The eligibility testing for disability is to dehumanise people and keep them in permanent fear of loss of benefits, while also being its own bureaucratic nightmare of appeals and tribunals.

That just sounds like means-testing with extra steps and extra cruelty like.

There will be rich people eligible for PIP who would have never thought of applying for it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

CBBC getting the axe is shite, because the alternatives for kids TV is youtube (and that's obviously loving bad news) or hideously predatory commercial TV. CBBC was the only kids TV worth trusting that if a kid watched it, they'd maybe get something worthwhile out of it.

I know beating the "Reithian Values" drum is silly, but it's the last post where the BBC actually upheld that.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
they don't even have any schemes to go to instead of watching television :mad:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
AIUI, CBBC and BBC4 are going online only rather than getting fully axed.

gently caress youuuuu, DUP.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Lungboy posted:

AIUI, CBBC and BBC4 are going online only rather than getting fully axed.

gently caress youuuuu, DUP.

Sinn Féin — the nationalist party whose name is pronounced “shin fane”

:eng101:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Only way CBBC will get funded is if someone makes a 5 episode a week cartoon series out of that Superman Rishi Sunak artwork the BBC had on.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 26, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
DUP, the unionist party whose name is pronounced like a fish blowing bubbles

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
All BBC output to be replaced with pages from ceefax, conservative support at all time high

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

On one hand, the weekend breakfast show with Radcliffe & Maconie makes me want to throw my radio into the sea (a bit where they eat crisps on the radio? gently caress off), on the other Maconie's Freak Zone is extremely good.

I used to like the freak zone until I made the mistake of listening to Radcliffe & Maconie's show, ane now his voice is just deeply irritating me.

Gideon Coe is fantastic though

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

crispix posted:

Sinn Féin — the nationalist party whose name is pronounced “shin fane”

:eng101:

So, serious question: "shin fane" is obviously the English approximation and a lot of people saying it that way have no interest in or respect for the pronunciation in Irish. But for people who do, shouldn't it be more like "shin fayun"?

At some point there's a line between Irish English accent (which is weird for an English person to copy) and Irish Gaelic vowel sounds (which as a separate language we would normally at least make some effort, e.g. "En Marche", "Die Linke") and I honestly don't know where that line is here.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

keep punching joe posted:

Would do but have no way of contacting them (doubt the letting agent would give me their info).

They might have left a forwarding address for mail, you could try passing a letter/pack of photos on that way

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

A touching tribute to our former master here from The Mail

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Boris Johnson may be a domestic abuser who eats $100 snacks but he will never have a moment of clarity enough to lowtax himself.

Scikar posted:

At some point there's a line between Irish English accent (which is weird for an English person to copy) and Irish Gaelic vowel sounds (which as a separate language we would normally at least make some effort, e.g. "En Marche", "Die Linke") and I honestly don't know where that line is here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGoVefhtMQ

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Boris Johnson may be a domestic abuser who eats $100 snacks but he will never have a moment of clarity enough to lowtax himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGoVefhtMQ

Shaking hands in that COVID ward was a cry for help.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He wanted to look like Princess Diana hugging the Aids patient and ended up looking more like Typhoid Mary :laugh:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Scikar posted:

So, serious question: "shin fane" is obviously the English approximation and a lot of people saying it that way have no interest in or respect for the pronunciation in Irish. But for people who do, shouldn't it be more like "shin fayun"?

It's "shin fane"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Ha, just me being stupid then. Thanks :doh: