Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I like the nuanced they're introducing with Arrako. It's not as clear cut as "warrior culture bathed in blood" and I like that in the right circumstances yielding has honour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Arrako vs the gods has a lot of legs on its own.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Arrako vs the gods has a lot of legs on its own.

I do wonder what would happen if Thor had a reason to show up on Arrako.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Thor wouldn't pretend he was one of their gods. And he'd probably enjoy fighting and hanging out. They'd probably think he was fine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Codependent Poster posted:

Thor wouldn't pretend he was one of their gods. And he'd probably enjoy fighting and hanging out. They'd probably think he was fine.
Thor of all people could probably win their respect although I doubt he'd appreciate them catching and killing gods. On the other hand these guys seem like dicks trying to exploit the new guys and finding out(tm).

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Awww, David being a bro in defiance of Xavier. Good man!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I felt sorry for Cain thinking that Chuck did something cool for once in his nerdy bald life, only to find out it was goodguy Kurt instead

Do we have record of humans who live on Krakoa? The only two I can think of are Northstar's husband and Cain (who might actually commute)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

OnimaruXLR posted:

I felt sorry for Cain thinking that Chuck did something cool for once in his nerdy bald life, only to find out it was goodguy Kurt instead

Do we have record of humans who live on Krakoa? The only two I can think of are Northstar's husband and Cain (who might actually commute)

Technically Jubilee's kid for awhile.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

Technically Jubilee's kid for awhile.

Do dragons count as humans now?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Endless Mike posted:

Do dragons count as humans now?

Dragon Shogo lives in Otherworld, human Shogo lives on Krakoa.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

danbanana posted:

I didn't pick this up because I didn't love WoX but... Are they bad at their jobs? Because if they are, then they might be cops.

So far, they don't seem to be. And they make a point that, even when a case seems cut and dry like a mutant murdering humans, they try to get the full picture of what happened and why before turning them over to the Quiet Counsel for judgement. I was more noting how they work out of a station, the comic opens with the "chief" handing out cases, the partner dynamic between Juggernaut and ForgetMeNot, etc.

Codependent Poster posted:

Not only would Thor not seek worship from them, but he'd also be willing to yield if he did lose.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

They seem to be trying to do what cops claim to do, and are often presented as doing in dramatic narrative, but often only do in reality under protest or when compelled, i.e. "solve crimes and investigate problems." Considering they seem to be about ten guys and one of those guys is David Haller, who I believe has the same general power set as God, this can probably hold up until Legion gets tired of it. After that it's on Kurt, who is considerably less powerful than God.

Narrative spoilers for ish #9!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

danbanana posted:

I didn't pick this up because I didn't love WoX but... Are they bad at their jobs? Because if they are, then they might be cops.

Did someone say why X-Factor as Krakoan cops didn't keep going?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

Did someone say why X-Factor as Krakoan cops didn't keep going?

X-Factor was more Krakoan CSI, with a specific focus on confirming deaths before signing off on resurrection. I think the organization is still doing that in universe, it just doesn't have a comic following along

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The idea that Orchis is sending Nimrods out to gently caress up the Phalanx is a hell of a thing to drop in there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

glitchwraith posted:

Not only would Thor not seek worship from them, but he'd also be willing to yield if he did lose.

I don't know, I think he might take offense that they literally just killed another God of Thunder. I'd imagine that might irk a guy. An honor among comrades kinda thing.

He would be willing to yield though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Open Marriage Night posted:

The idea that Orchis is sending Nimrods out to gently caress up the Phalanx is a hell of a thing to drop in there.

Now that you mention it, I'd be excited to hear the pseudobabble explanation for how the robot can fight the contagious robot without being infected.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

Now that you mention it, I'd be excited to hear the pseudobabble explanation for how the robot can fight the contagious robot without being infected.

Nimrod's thing is that he loving adapts to everything, right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm a little confused, wasn't the whole end game of ORCHIS/Moira in HoX/PoX to merge with the Phalanx? Doesn't murdering them run counter to that?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I'm a little confused, wasn't the whole end game of ORCHIS/Moira in HoX/PoX to merge with the Phalanx? Doesn't murdering them run counter to that?
This way they can step into the power vacuum and not just merge, but take control. Exploit the disruption to - uh -

It may not work that way but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be their thinking!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

TwoPair posted:

How else do you stop Terminator Warlock Logan???

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The whole timeline thing is definitely very complicated and I'm not sure if any of it might even still affect the current storyline anymore now that Hickman's indeterminately gone, but the plan to merge with the Phalanx came from the way way waaaay futuristic post-humans who really don't have anything to do with Orchis and maybe not even Nimrod at that point. If I recall correctly, the timeline where Nimrod took over was actually a different one than the one where Moira and Logan were in that far future with the blue people wanting to merge. Neither Moira or Orchis in the current day have any plans to merge with the Phalanx.

I guess?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Skwirl posted:

Nimrod's thing is that he loving adapts to everything, right?

I think that's Shiva but it might also be Nimrod. gently caress, I haven't thought about Shiva in decades.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I think Nimrod is just a really cool robot. He probably can adapt to a lot of stuff, but just because he's really smart, it's not a particular power he has. His deal is just basically cogito ergo sum.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Hey, out of curiosity where does the thread title come from?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Hey, out of curiosity where does the thread title come from?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also Magus isnt phalanx, he's technarchy.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Oh. Ah…hmmm. Well looks like good old stupid comics fun at least. :)

Also I’m guessing the joke for the rest of y’all is that at no time has this been demonstrated? Or was there some actual big story between 1995(ish) and the Krakoa era that I’ve never heard about?

As a side note I used to think that that lovely band was the worst thing to use the name Tesla. Fuckin’ Elon, piece of poo poo

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Oh. Ah…hmmm. Well looks like good old stupid comics fun at least. :)

Also I’m guessing the joke for the rest of y’all is that at no time has this been demonstrated? Or was there some actual big story between 1995(ish) and the Krakoa era that I’ve never heard about?

As a side note I used to think that that lovely band was the worst thing to use the name Tesla. Fuckin’ Elon, piece of poo poo

There was Mammomax, a character about whom I remember nothing other than that he was an elephant man and showed up probably mid-2000s-ish.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mammomax and Teslelephant are two distinct and wonderful pachyderms.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mammomax sounds like he probably showed up in Excalibur as an Animal Dimension equivalent of Micromax

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

For people who don't know the history, Nicola Tesla among other thing invented alternating current electricity and Edison who claimed he invented direct current wanted to show people how dangerous alternating current was, executed an elephant that had killed a trainer at a circus (the elephant was horribly abused and lashed out) using alternating current.

Everything you plug into a wall uses alternating current.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, Exactly. I fuckin’ love this actually :)

But for reals Mammomax sounds like Master Mold got weird ideas and went to town on a mammograph machine

E: what does 198 mean in relation to X stuff?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Yeah, Exactly. I fuckin’ love this actually :)

But for reals Mammomax sounds like Master Mold got weird ideas and went to town on a mammograph machine

E: what does 198 mean in relation to X stuff?
At one point Wanda said "NO MORE MUTANTS" at a time when there were millions of mutants. Instead, afterwards there were only 198 mutants left. It was very sad! One of the four or so "total genocide of mutants" plotlines that preceded the Krakoa era.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Oh. Is this before or after they started all that retcon poo poo with her not being a mutant?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Oh. Is this before or after they started all that retcon poo poo with her not being a mutant?
At the time (this was at the end of House of M) I believe whether or not she was officially and legally a mutant, Wanda was lashing out to how Mutant Issues had defined her father's life as well as her own and her brother's.

It was not a very nice thing and I believe the reason there were any mutants left at all, in-universe there, is that Dr. Strange did some kind of half-formed counterspell.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Ugh. I’m really glad I skipped over slightly less than 30 yrs of X-Men. I did read HoX/pox and a bit of marauders. Really need to get some trades or try and renew MU. Sounds like it’s mostly good now.

So was there like an official list of the 198 or did that not last long enough to matter?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Ugh. I’m really glad I skipped over slightly less than 30 yrs of X-Men. I did read HoX/pox and a bit of marauders. Really need to get some trades or try and renew MU. Sounds like it’s mostly good now.

So was there like an official list of the 198 or did that not last long enough to matter?

They walked back the 198 number almost immediately and starting saying "a couple hundred or maybe a thousand," but it was basically any character you've heard of is on the list, with the exception of Professor X (got his powers back almost immediately), Magneto (got his powers back almost immediately), Jubilee (was depowered for a shockingly long time), and Danielle Moonstar (depowered all the way until the recent status quo). There was also some stuff about Wanda's spell depowering mutants in every single alternate dimension that never came up again. and depowering dead mutants, which was a plot point that came up with some regularity.

Despite it being barely anyone you've heard of, Decimation was effective as a shocking moment, I guess, to the extent that when new mutants starting appearing after AVX it felt like a triumph.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Ohhhhh, so this wasn’t one of the straight mutant genocides this was the de-power thing, gotcha. Is this why Wanda is still hated? Hasn’t she been reintroduced lately to atone for this or whatever? Sorry if I’m asking dumb questions but I read this thread and realize just how complicated this poo poo is. When I stopped reading everything monthly was just after the Claremont era (which was a couple years earlier than I thought) I still would occasionally pick up an x book but just couldn’t be bothered anymore. So I was around eleven and and had read, one way or another the entire thirty years or so before that and am now realizing it’s been another thirty years of comics and am daunted about jumping back in. Thanks all y’all for being patient!
:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wanda was still hated as recently as the Krakoa book where she atoned, Trial of Magneto, from a few months ago.