Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DoctaFun posted:

Headed up to northwestern Ontario on Saturday for a week of walleye/pike fishing. Currently hoping the ice goes out completely on the lake and that the flooding calms down so the highway is open.

Will post an update when I’m back if people are interested, hopefully lots of big pike and walleye!

Good luck! Lot of ice up there still (depending where, NW Ontario is pretty big), I use this site to check ice on far lakes before going. You can switch days if clouds are covering. Looks like everything was frozen solid up there 11 days ago https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.go...-T03%3A10%3A39Z

I'm going out tomorrow morning in Eastern Ontario, hopefully water is like 60-65, the wind has been pounding for 24 hours right into this big shallow bay with a structurey mouth, minnows are perky, spinner rigs are fresh, hopefully can catch a few for cold water walleye fish fry it's so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Good luck! Lot of ice up there still (depending where, NW Ontario is pretty big), I use this site to check ice on far lakes before going. You can switch days if clouds are covering. Looks like everything was frozen solid up there 11 days ago https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.go...-T03%3A10%3A39Z

I'm going out tomorrow morning in Eastern Ontario, hopefully water is like 60-65, the wind has been pounding for 24 hours right into this big shallow bay with a structurey mouth, minnows are perky, spinner rigs are fresh, hopefully can catch a few for cold water walleye fish fry it's so good

It has been really stressful watching the ice and road conditions up there, but as of today everything looks clear. Lake is like 50% ice free today, and sounds like they expect that to be nearly 100% by the weekend.

There’s already one group in camp apparently, some hardcore pike fishermen. They have caught 23 over 40”….so far. That’s a pretty drat good 3 days of fishing lol.

May end up doing more pike fishing than walleye if they are that active, just not nearly as many opportunities to catch pike that big as there are to catch eater-sized walleyes. The lake system puts out big walleyes too, but our timing might see more males than females if they aren’t done spawning yet.

I’ll post a report when I get back, but if anyone is looking for a place to go this year I’ll throw it out there again. Five lakes Lodge on Gull Rock Lake. Great accommodations, great owners, great fishing! A lot of lodge owners up there are really struggling after the last two years. On top of that, a lot of cancellations this year from unvaccinated fishermen who held onto reservations in hopes they’d get rid of the vax requirement at the border.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 19, 2022

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Wanna see them pikes and walters

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Went fishing with my 3yo daughter this morning and tried live worms for the first time. Got a bite on every single cast and caught at least a dozen of these little dorks. It was AWESOME.

It's fun to challenge yourself on bass or trout or whatever, but I kinda suck at it and it was a huge confidence booster to reel all these in. Really reignited my enjoyment of fishing, and I'm gonna try to go out again tomorrow before work!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
They drained like 1/2 of my pond for maintenance work. I dunno if this just means more fish in a smaller area, but they are loving grumpy and not going for the food like usual. :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Desert Bus posted:

They drained like 1/2 of my pond for maintenance work. I dunno if this just means more fish in a smaller area, but they are loving grumpy and not going for the food like usual. :(

That can be extremely disruptive. Not only does that give them less to eat, it makes them more vulnerable to birds.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

camoseven posted:

Went fishing with my 3yo daughter this morning and tried live worms for the first time. Got a bite on every single cast and caught at least a dozen of these little dorks. It was AWESOME.

It's fun to challenge yourself on bass or trout or whatever, but I kinda suck at it and it was a huge confidence booster to reel all these in. Really reignited my enjoyment of fishing, and I'm gonna try to go out again tomorrow before work!

Sweet!

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

camoseven posted:

i have a little 5' Ugly Stik ultralight setup for bluegills and stuff that's fun as hell and cost like $25. Worth every penny.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Had a really good day fishing the surf yesterday. They just finished "renourishing" the beach by dredging sand up on it, which kills all the crustaceans in the surf. So I thought fishing would be bad. Plus the guy at the bait shop and the guy fishing the hole I fished both said nothing was biting. Boy were they wrong. I wound up catching 8 species (bluefish, croaker, spot, whiting, flounder, puffer, ray, pinfish) and probably 30 fish total.

I wanted to post a couple pics of where I was fishing because people are always asking for help on reading the surf. I took these pics at low tide and you can clearly see the hole I was fishing. The renourishment destroyed most of the structure right up on the beach (don't worry, the first storm will move the sand around). You can see down the beach how featureless it is. These pics were taken at dead low tide. Compare to the hole I was fishing. The small point breaks up the longshore current and causes it to swirl and dig out a hole. You can tell by the flat darker water that its a hole. And there's a slight rip going out to sea to the back right. You can tell by watching the waves (they don't break there) and the wash going out. 90% of the fish I caught were out by the sandbar in the rip. They use the hole the rip punches in the sandbar to enter and leave the trough that's right up on shore. At high tide, you can't see any of this, so it's really important to do your scouting at low tide. The guy who fished here before me didn't catch anything because he was 20 yards to the left, on top of the sandy point. The beach looks the same all over, but it really isn't. 90% of the fish are in 1% of the water. Do your work and find that 1% of really productive water.

Down the beach Very uniform, no real structure

The hole I fished Note the flat looking darker water right in front, and the line of wash going out to the right.

Note that I'm soaking one bait right in the middle of the hole. This is where I caught the big whiting. My other bait was in the rip where it goes through the sandbar. Most of the rest of the fish were caught on this bait.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 24, 2022

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
What do people generally use for stocked trout? I have a couple of roostertails & castmaster spoons and i assume there's always just powerbait/salmon eggs on a bobber. Wanna go up to one of the SF East Bay lakes & see if I can catch some trouts.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

idiotsavant posted:

What do people generally use for stocked trout? I have a couple of roostertails & castmaster spoons and i assume there's always just powerbait/salmon eggs on a bobber. Wanna go up to one of the SF East Bay lakes & see if I can catch some trouts.

Panther martins. Mepps spinners.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Yooper posted:

Panther martins. Mepps spinners.

Does color matter at all or just grab some and go

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

idiotsavant posted:

If you have one in your life, bring a small child to help you pick.
( Then take them fishing so they can try them out, naturally. )

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I like spoons because you can chuck them a lot further than inline spinners. You can also drop them into holes and jig them up. I still use my meps (and lots of other lures) but spoons are so flexible I probably have one on half of the time.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

idiotsavant posted:

Cassius Belli posted:

If you have one in your life, bring a small child to help you pick.
( Then take them fishing so they can try them out, naturally. )

This is definitely correct but I like to have at least a bright color (say chartreuse or orange ) and something that looks buggy (e.g., striped or spotted) on me

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

the yeti posted:

This is definitely correct but I like to have at least a bright color (say chartreuse or orange ) and something that looks buggy (e.g., striped or spotted) on me

That was my assumption as well, rad. Time to go catch some hydrilla.

ps why tf are like 1/8 oz kastmaster spoons like 8 bucks this is some BULL poo poo

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I really should post here more

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 27, 2022

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

idiotsavant posted:

I just buy the 5 pack or whatever. Agreed on spoons, but most of the rivers I fish around here are so packed with tag alders that it's rare I can cast far enough with a spinner.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Went up the coast by Bodega yesterday and caught a couple of brown rockfish just tossing a hi/lo rig baited with anchovy (that i previously caught & froze) and squid. One hit an anchovy, one hit the squid. Lost a rig or two to the rocks, and i need to pick up some bait thread for future anchovies.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

idiotsavant posted:

Went up the coast by Bodega yesterday and caught a couple of brown rockfish just tossing a hi/lo rig baited with anchovy (that i previously caught & froze) and squid. One hit an anchovy, one hit the squid. Lost a rig or two to the rocks, and i need to pick up some bait thread for future anchovies.

Nice fish!

Go back at dead low and forage for rigs! Probably $100 in lead out there.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Here's some more pics from this weekend in no particular order

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That last one a guitarfish?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Here's some more pics from this weekend in no particular order

What is this???

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

What is this???
That’s a couple of squid, the smaller one is a bit obscured.

the yeti posted:

That last one a guitarfish?

That’s a banjo shark. I think they’re more properly referred to as fiddler rays.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Will post a longer report with some pics when I get a bit more free time, but NW Ontario trip was a huge success. Lots of fish and plenty of big ones.

My boat had I think 12 pike over 40”, with 42” being the biggest. Other boat had one pike over 40”, that one went 43”, and was caught by a 12 year old on his first ever Canada trip! They ran out of dead Cisco to use and weren’t getting much action, so we gave them our last 4 Cisco and told them to anchor in our spot and fish this hot corner of the creek we had been fishing. Kid pulled in a 36”, 38”, and then 43” pike in a matter of maybe 15 minutes? Talk about getting spoiled!

Biggest walleye was 29.5”, caught while fishing for pike. We were seriously a 1/2” away from catching a 41” pike and a 30” walleye back to back, within ~ 5 minutes, crazy.

Overall had a blast, most of our northern fishing was done in creeks that feed into the lake, which were SUPER high, meaning we could navigate into them for quite some ways, which was a really unique experience.

We probably missed the ‘best’ fishing by a week or two, cause a lot of fish hadn’t spawned yet. But 14 pike over 40”, and like 20-30 walleye over 20” is a pretty drat good week by anyone’s standards. Plenty of eater-sized fish thrown in there as well.

Pictures to follow later!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Some pics:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

drat, nice fish. I've always wanted to do that trip.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Those are very large fish!!!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Because of the shorelines, I NOW HAVE ALL YOUR SPOTS AND THE FISH WILL BE GONE SOON.

(nice fish, this is how pictures should be)

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

let it go, lol

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Sickening posted:

Because of the shorelines, I NOW HAVE ALL YOUR SPOTS AND THE FISH WILL BE GONE SOON.

(nice fish, this is how pictures should be)

I think you may have a problem dude, do you need someone to talk to? Not volunteering, cause you sound miserable, but maybe someone else will!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
29.5" walleye is truly the rarest length, didn't even think those existed

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

I think you may have a problem dude, do you need someone to talk to? Not volunteering, cause you sound miserable, but maybe someone else will!

This is not a very fun post Doctafun. You don't seem like a fun poster either.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 1, 2022

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Postess with the Mostest posted:

29.5" walleye is truly the rarest length, didn't even think those existed

Legit 30” only in my boat, no fudging on those milestone fish!!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Ok so I've got a light power, fast action rod with a spinning reel on it that I have used for a few years and has been pretty fun. I'm running into issues casting long distances and using spinners/top-waters, though, so I'm looking to get something beefier.

I have two scenarios I'm looking at: 1) bass/trout fishing with those aforementioned spinners/top-waters, and 2) catching large catfish with the heavy as poo poo lures and tackle my brother got me for Xmas.

I'm thinking I could do both of those on a medium power, fast action rod? Beyond that I have no idea. I'm interested in getting a baitcaster reel just to try it. Any thoughts?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

camoseven posted:

Ok so I've got a light power, fast action rod with a spinning reel on it that I have used for a few years and has been pretty fun. I'm running into issues casting long distances and using spinners/top-waters, though, so I'm looking to get something beefier.

I have two scenarios I'm looking at: 1) bass/trout fishing with those aforementioned spinners/top-waters, and 2) catching large catfish with the heavy as poo poo lures and tackle my brother got me for Xmas.

I'm thinking I could do both of those on a medium power, fast action rod? Beyond that I have no idea. I'm interested in getting a baitcaster reel just to try it. Any thoughts?

Out of the two scenarios you are talking about, the only one that needs any specialization is the basss/trout one. Power wise, medium, medium/heavy, or even heavy, extra heavy are all a consideration. I feel like for trout and bass a medium heavy action rod to a medium is fine. What is more important is the tip speed. If the things you are fishing are a single hook, fast to extra fast is better. If they have a treble, medium to slow can be better. A standard medium-heavier fast action rod is probably fine at the end of the day.

For catfish, any rod you fish with is fine. The heavier the action, the easier it can be if you hook a bigger catfish but even then specilaization isn't required. I find the bed catfish rods for me are heavier action rods with slower actions, but I only buy the cheapest rods for catfishing.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Sickening posted:

Out of the two scenarios you are talking about, the only one that needs any specialization is the basss/trout one. Power wise, medium, medium/heavy, or even heavy, extra heavy are all a consideration. I feel like for trout and bass a medium heavy action rod to a medium is fine. What is more important is the tip speed. If the things you are fishing are a single hook, fast to extra fast is better. If they have a treble, medium to slow can be better. A standard medium-heavier fast action rod is probably fine at the end of the day.

For catfish, any rod you fish with is fine. The heavier the action, the easier it can be if you hook a bigger catfish but even then specilaization isn't required. I find the bed catfish rods for me are heavier action rods with slower actions, but I only buy the cheapest rods for catfishing.

I figured cats would need a bigger rod cause they're real fuckin big? Do they just not fight much?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

camoseven posted:

I figured cats would need a bigger rod cause they're real fuckin big? Do they just not fight much?

Kind of depends what class of catfish you are talking about, but yeah, big catfish are strong af.

Most of the time you’ll be soaking dead or cut bait for catfish, which doesn’t require any special rod or anything (not like casting a huge heavy buck tail requires a heavy musky rod), but if you’re fishing for large cats then I think you’ll want at least a heavy action rod.

What type of trout are you talking about though? I fish a really skinny stream at my in laws where a 5-6’ light or UL is perfect for casting small spinners for the 6-13” brown trout that live there.

But if you’re fishing large pools/streams out west or something then there are far better options.

Rod length is super important in casting distance too if that’s all you’re really in search of. If you have the room, a 7’+ light or medium light action rod will cast WAY further than a 5-6’.

Line weight also matters. If you’re trying to cast a really small memos spinner but you have 20 lb. mono on your rod, you will not get much distance at all.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

camoseven posted:

A 12" Bullhead feels like you caught a big stick. They're the worst fighters ever. Bigger cats may be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

camoseven posted:

They def can. The average catfish you are going to catch in most places is under 10 pounds. The sky is the limit on the higher end though. once in a blue moon you might get a 60 pounder and then you might wish you had a salt water rig.

But if you need a rod for both though, its better to pick the rod better for bass/trout/whatever.