Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Eyyyy

E: truly the worst snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

counterpoint, an American trying to say "twat"

I had an American friend visit who was prepared for our weird place names, and was very careful to enunciate properly. He struggled when nobody could tell him how to get to Shortage.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

"Mankind does not strive for happiness; only the English do" may have been the wrongest thing that Nietzsche said.

"Es ist scheiße, es ist absichtlich scheiße, und wir finden es toll, dass es scheiße ist"

E: also, "Creggslist"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

"Mankind does not strive for happiness; only the English do" may have been the wrongest thing that Nietzsche said.

It's the other way around?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

happiness cannot exist precisely because of the english

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Spangly A posted:

Milngavie is bullshit and wikis origin of the name sounds like a multi century game of telephone played through google translate, featuring at least one bh/dh switch

It's actually pronounced the same as Yngwie Malmsteen

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I don't think I saw this mentioned in the thread:

https://twitter.com/miffythegamer/status/1529938560920567810

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lord of the Llamas posted:

What was the actual logic behind that. Did they think he had some kind of neurolinguistic superpowers?
At the time I remember a lot of people supposing that it was in case people imitated him calling in bomb threats. It would have made more sense to just have a photo of the logo and have the newsreader read the statement because it genuinely did come across like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOUeauLWEaE

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Try living in the Highlands where half the places are impenetrable to a native English speaker. loving bh and dh melt my tiny brain. For example, Bhatarsaigh is the Gaelic for an island in the Outer Hebridies. How do you think you'd pronounce that?

Same as the place with the power station.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

IDK, a hefty number of us seem to be made very happy by toffs making GBS threads on us from a great height and telling us it's a windfall, so...

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

fuctifino posted:

I don't think I saw this mentioned in the thread:

https://twitter.com/miffythegamer/status/1529938560920567810

I believe it’s also his birthday?

Delicious.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:sickos:

Bobstar posted:

"Es ist scheiße, es ist absichtlich scheiße, und wir finden es toll, dass es scheiße ist"
:golfclap:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pablo Bluth posted:

Nothing is worse than the American way of saying niche
”erb” :colbert:

Also it may just be a California thing but I enjoy how my friend pronounces ‘mirror’ as ‘meeeh’

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

TACD posted:

”erb” :colbert:

Also it may just be a California thing but I enjoy how my friend pronounces ‘mirror’ as ‘meeeh’

I believe that's a general america thing, at least, when I've watched Link to the Past Randomizer races on twitch, pretty much all the american commentators say "meeer" when referencing the magic mirror. Mind you most English accents do something similar too, I'd guess it's only noticeable since american accents are generally rhotic ("r"-pronouncing) so this one non-rhotic word stands out. Might be an indication american accents are going to move in that direction over the next few centuries like most of England did in the last few.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's weird cos here it's pronounced "mih-ruh" it's as rhotic as you can get without rolling it.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
"War-yuh" (warrior) is a US pronunciation that is like nails on a blackboard to me. That and "twot".

Always enjoyed the NI pronunciation for mirror personally, sounds like a cow mooing if someone really leans into it

forkboy84 posted:

Try living in the Highlands where half the places are impenetrable to a native English speaker. loving bh and dh melt my tiny brain. For example, Bhatarsaigh is the Gaelic for an island in the Outer Hebridies. How do you think you'd pronounce that?

Did we get an answer for this?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Deketh posted:

"War-yuh" (warrior) is a US pronunciation that is like nails on a blackboard to me. That and "twot".

Always enjoyed the NI pronunciation for mirror personally, sounds like a cow mooing if someone really leans into it

Did we get an answer for this?

I think it is "Vatersay" to rhyme with Battersay.
But I'm a sassenach.
But also because I know Siobhan has v sound for bh in Irish.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But I'm a sassenach.

Oh that's neat. I'm guessing sassenach is a gringo meaning kinda word, is it derogatory?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But I'm a sassenach.

Yep, it's just south of Barra in the Outer Hebrides. I went cycling across the whole island chain some years back and it was great. The beaches look incredible too, all perfect white sand and blue-green water like something out of a travel brochure, and amazing strips of grass and wildflowers along the edges (a fairly unusal ecosystem called machair). Unfortunately the water is absolutely freezing.

Anyone want to have a go at Eolaigearraidh? Even the Anglicised version written next to it on the map doesn't really tell me how the first vowel (diphthong?) should sound...

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Deketh posted:

Oh that's neat. I'm guessing sassenach is a gringo meaning kinda word, is it derogatory?

I think it's just 'Saxon', meaning English, so as derogatory as you think that is, basically. Sowsnek in Cornish.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

I think it's just 'Saxon', meaning English, so as derogatory as you think that is, basically. Sowsnek in Cornish.

Honestly I just like the sound of the word :shrug:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

big scary monsters posted:

Yep, it's just south of Barra in the Outer Hebrides. I went cycling across the whole island chain some years back and it was great. The beaches look incredible too, all perfect white sand and blue-green water like something out of a travel brochure, and amazing strips of grass and wildflowers along the edges (a fairly unusal ecosystem called machair). Unfortunately the water is absolutely freezing.

Brb, heading there with an inflatable pig for the album art of my celtic folk cover of Animals

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Anyone want to have a go at Eolaigearraidh?

Yole-a-garry, roughly. The opening is a bit more of a "hyuh" than a "yuh", though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A few months ago I made a note of a spot near me where you get a lovely view over Bournville, especially the chocolate factory. Today I happened to be passing by and finally went back to get a photo there, and you know what? You can't see anything unless you're on the top deck of a bus. I am a complete idiot and I don't even care, it's a gorgeous day.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Deketh posted:

Honestly I just like the sound of the word :shrug:
Given its celtic origin I'm surprised it's not pronounced "susan."

I also think shibboleth should have a different pronunciation, because I just think it would be funny to have people go "actually it's pronounced sheblit, but of course you'd know that if you weren't new here."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

A few months ago I made a note of a spot near me where you get a lovely view over Bournville, especially the chocolate factory. Today I happened to be passing by and finally went back to get a photo there, and you know what? You can't see anything unless you're on the top deck of a bus. I am a complete idiot and I don't even care, it's a gorgeous day.
There should be more things like moon towers where you can just go up and look over places. I guess you'd have to stick a bunch of 5Gs and advertising boards all over them now to justify their existence.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lmao

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/27/boris-johnson-changes-ministerial-code-to-remove-need-to-resign-over-breaches

Lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anyone want to have a go at Eolaigearraidh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUTe2ndjRew

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Can he fire the horse catcher?

Ah well, nevertheless.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol a permission slip for crimes

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Ah well, nevertheless.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/maitlis/status/1530177507793813510?t=4COta-SfGRlWeBTbn6OUCA

Get out of crimes using one weird trick, journalists hate this.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Another victory for the international rules based order.

what do you mean changed the rules

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Hm that Mhairi Black speech is starting to feel slightly too prescient.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Hm that Mhairi Black speech is starting to feel slightly too prescient.

no but you see using the F word is lazy

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Wait till the speaker of the house hears about this, perhaps her majesty will make a carefully coded intervention by wearing a ministerial code reference on her hat, surely the honest and decent tory mps will stand up against this.

You can't just rewrite the rules that you don't like, it's simply not British.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
My favourite part is changing the foreword to remove any references to honesty and integrity.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Brb, taking out an ad on ConservativeHome to let them know I’m not owned

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Thank you Guardian for making meaningless changes to meaningless codes the headline. You'll get on Come Dine with Keith any day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Deketh posted:

So yeah, it's a mildly derogatory term for the English that was originally a Gaelic word to describe lowland Scots. And the root is indeed Saxon, because Lothian & the borders were part of the Kingdom of Northumbria while the Highlands were Celtic speaking.

And yes, it's a fun word to say. It's like "dreich", the ideal word to describe the mean weather in Scotland, fun to say. Ch sounds are cool. What the Internet tells me is the voiceless velar fricative