Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There have been a ton of those fake Ukraine support scammers so while it is in bad taste, it's also emulating an extremely common scam at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KillHour posted:

Really? Come on - this is in bad taste.

This kind of thing is a Matter of Much Debate in the security community right now. I come down on the side of it being both ineffective and scummy as gently caress.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
User education is such a high effort, low return practice. If users can do it, they will do it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rexxed posted:

There have been a ton of those fake Ukraine support scammers so while it is in bad taste, it's also emulating an extremely common scam at the moment.

The point of phishing training is to reinforce patterns of behavior when it comes to handling email, not to train against a specific example of an attack. There's very little utility in exploiting war crimes and a massive humanitarian crisis because the only goal with using a current event like that is to get the failure percentage to go up to satisfy some quarterly power point.

I mean, I guess gently caress the employees that might have loved ones that live in Ukraine that they haven't been able to contact in a month to know if they are living or dead.

It's lovely and scummy behavior and doesn't increase the security posture of an organization.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
a little late from last page but the head of HR for one of my clients has a rule to CC herself on all e-mail she sends. shes also fallen for multiple fake employee banking info changes, and once was scammed out of 3k in gift cards when she tried to buy a truck on craigslist.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

tango alpha delta posted:

This is a classic CYA move. Just lean into it because it might help you down the line.

It's also a way to signal to your boss you're taking something seriously if they've abruptly decided something is an emergency. Unless the contents of the email are pissy or I knew I hosed up, I wouldn't read it as anything directed at me.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sywert of Thieves posted:

My toddlers do this. Even if I'm just in the adjacent room with my back turned, they go "hey daddy why does this thing do that?" as if I know what they're taking about.

What I'm saying is that your customers are no smarter than toddlers.

Mrs. Bastard will answer the question 'Where? ' with 'There', unaccompanied by any sort of gesture of in which direction.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

Mrs. Bastard will answer the question 'Where? ' with 'There', unaccompanied by any sort of gesture of in which direction.

I didn't read your username at first and this was way funnier that way.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I didn't read your username at first and this was way funnier that way.

Just wait until you hear about one of my little bastards pouring a cup of water out over Mrs Bastard's laptop this week.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Explorer posted:

Are you going across a VPN or WAN? ADUC isn't meant for higher latency than your normal LAN.

Doesn't seem to matter whether I'm in the office or on VPN. It's entirely possible the AD server is somewhere like Maryland but also it's just never been this bad. Maybe size has something to do with it? I think there's around 1 million users overall

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

holy

I've never dealt with a million user accounts, but afaik ADUC is supposed to have pagination, etc., to not query all that at once. If the sever is across the WAN, that would be your problem. But as others said, may not be a bad idea getting comfortable with PowerShell at that level of scale.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We have less than 200 that we can do things with directly, everything else is segregated to other bases. Powershell seems like the way to go at this point though, one of our sysadmins has been starting up some short classes to get us more familiar with it and show us the magic of command line

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
once worked with a large energy company that created AD accounts for every single customer for some horribly stupid reason I don't remember anymore. literally millions of accounts. aduc worked fine but the amount of resources it took were loving ridiculous and i could imagine how it would probably be slow sometimes from what, i imagine, was everything involved straining not to collapse in on itself constantly

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
At 1 million accounts, even PowerShell is going to struggle over a WAN unless you get real, real good at filtering left. This honestly sounds like a good use case for a jump box/admin workstation.

If you're starting from scratch, pick up PowerShell In A Month of Lunches. ~30 half-hour lessons in one book.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is there a decent PowerShell book that isn't Learn PowerShell In A Month Of Lunches? I have a copy of it and I really don't like it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

guppy posted:

Is there a decent PowerShell book that isn't Learn PowerShell In A Month Of Lunches? I have a copy of it and I really don't like it.

Oreilly has a lot of picks to choose, do you have any requirement? What rubbed you the wrong way about month of lunches?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Why did our identity people not only let people have apostrophes in their email addresses, but also made it so that it's the kind of apostrophe that resolves as a single quote in SAS?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm guessing it's because they're aware of Irish names.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm guessing it's because they're aware of Irish names.

Yes, but maybe use the type of apostrophe that doesn't cause mailing programs to poo poo the bed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Mailing programs should have thought of that before deciding to use it. It's only been a few hundred years of use and apparently the USA is full of us :shrug:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The single quote character is valid for emails ' but if it's being turned into something else by your email program, well brother that's a poo poo email program, innit?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

DelphiAegis posted:

The single quote character is valid for emails ' but if it's being turned into something else by your email program, well brother that's a poo poo email program, innit?

Yes, we've established that it's an email program.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SlowBloke posted:

Oreilly has a lot of picks to choose, do you have any requirement? What rubbed you the wrong way about month of lunches?

It's been a few years since I've tried it, so I don't remember it all that well, but I really didn't like their approach. It felt like every chapter was "PowerShell does x in a different way than other languages, which might seem bad but is actually good, also we won't talk about why until way later, but we're going to say something like this in every chapter for a while, and also PowerShell is god's gift to mankind." It's fine in principle not to do a deep dive right away, but they kept doing it. If you are constantly having to say "we'll come back to this," I think you need to re-think your book's structure, and I don't think I learned or retained much of what I was reading. I've read plenty of other books on both networking and programming and found them more accessible, so it's not like I can't handle reading technical content. And the constant PowerShell evangelism is exhausting.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Nah, as in, I'm writing a SAS program that takes a dataset containing database details for our EDW including the email addresses of each of the databases' multiple owners, rearranges it to spit out a dataset for each owner containing details of all databases owned by that owner, and then converts that into an excel spreadsheet containing the info which it then automatically emails to each owner with a message asking them to confirm their continued ownership of the database and to indicate where there is scope for reduction in database size/retiring the database as space constraints are becoming a problem.

The issue is that I'm trying to get it to work as one-click and you're done as there are 130 owners who need to receive the email and mailing them individually whenever we need to perform this function would be prohibitively time-consuming. But as I'm using a macro to achieve this (e.g. a do loop for do i=1 to &count in order to send the appropriate email with the appropriate attachment to &&email&i), I'm running into issues because the email addresses for people with apostrophes in their names are stored with the apostrophe being ’, however this doesn't resolve to an email address in our system as the apostrophe in email addresses in our system are ', which resolves to a single quote in SAS which causes an error in the program as it interprets it as the commencement of a string with a missing end quotation mark. Hence also why the email addresses are stored with the unresolvable (for our email system) ’, as that's the only way they could be stored.

Turns out the only way to get it to work is to to run a TRANWRD function, but you can only do it in the call symputx step where you're defining the email macro variable because attempting to do it at any step that might conceivably have the resulting string stored in a table will cause the program to poo poo itself. But it took a long time to get to the bottom of it and I'm cranky.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In other "Broadcom is going to gently caress up VMware" news, Broadcom just told the press and investors that perpetual licenses are going away, have fun explaining management about your VMware licensing expenses ballooning.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

In other "Broadcom is going to gently caress up VMware" news, Broadcom just told the press and investors that perpetual licenses are going away, have fun explaining management about your VMware licensing expenses ballooning.

Ahahaha oh god :munch:

E: Do you have a source for that, btw?

Wibla fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 27, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Wibla posted:

E: Do you have a source for that, btw?

https://www.theregister.com/2022/05/27/broadcom_vmware_subscriptions/?td=keepreading-btm

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I thought we already pay a vmware subscription except they call it maintenance but refuse to fix poo poo or work tickets.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ghostinmyshell posted:

I thought we already pay a vmware subscription except they call it maintenance but refuse to fix poo poo or work tickets.

We got quoted the subscription price rather than SnS once, it was fun to see a 150k€ per year rather than 15k€ for five bill.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Congrats, $SeniorDeveloper, you managed to completely torpedo any respect I might have had for you.

But at least you managed to save a few key-presses by typing "u",

"plz", and "thx", completely avoiding the shift key, and managing to

spell my name in two different ways, neither of which was right.

In an "emergency" request for dev resources right before a long weekend.

And a Teams Chat window where no idea can

be expressed in one

message.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anybody who uses "lol" as random punctuation instantly puts me off helping them

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
But like lol what if i really like to use lol lol

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

hey it could be worse...they could be one of those people that type their messages like this...just paragraphs on paragraphs of endless dribble only being separated by ellipsis...i like to think theyre talking as they type out their sentences...and it sounds like eeyore...our education system has failed us all...

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Our cybersecurity insurance requirements are almost to the point of people standing around to twisting two keys to launch nuclear weapons.

"Administrators requiring Domain Admin privileges must be on site and accompanied in person by a second trusted Administrator to perform Active Directory tasks that require Domain Admin privileges."

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Wizard of the Deep posted:

And a Teams Chat window where no idea can

be expressed in one

message.

i feel attacked

ghostinmyshell posted:

Our cybersecurity insurance requirements are almost to the point of people standing around to twisting two keys to launch nuclear weapons.

"Administrators requiring Domain Admin privileges must be on site and accompanied in person by a second trusted Administrator to perform Active Directory tasks that require Domain Admin privileges."

hahaha

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Which bean counter snuck that in as a cudgel to get people back onsite?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Which bean counter snuck that in as a cudgel to get people back onsite?

Just wait until they find out your DC is hosted and you have to drive to Duluth every time you want to make a change.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Start deploying DCs in Azure regions that you fancy visiting

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Hell yeah! Congrats!

Zil posted:

Huge congrats.

RadicalR posted:

Congrats! Let us know how your current work reacts.

thank you all very much. what ended up happening is: i got my resignation in just barely in time to get a slot in the end-of-year staff meeting where they honor departing employees by having one of their close colleagues talk for a minute or two about how cool they are. the lady who did mine has worked here for so long that she was my math teacher 20 years ago, and she's retiring this year, so she asked me if i wanted her to spill the beans about my being trans, and i said hell yes go for it. i wasn't sure how everyone would react but neither of us cared, and a murmur certainly swept through the audience when she dropped the bomb, but afterwards a ton of people came up to me to give me hugs and wish me well and tell me how brave i am, so that was nice. and now that everyone knows the deal, i can work my last day (the 31st) as myself so everyone gets to see how hot i am. everything worked out great and i am very excited to start my new job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ghostinmyshell posted:

How can teams get poo poo like that passed but I get nothing but fire and brimstone when I push to encrypt as much internal traffic as possible?!?

I should learn to be a better salesman or something I guess.