Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
what happens when you use a slurp juice on an off brand ape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kill All Cops posted:

Buddy, are you trying to get us all killed?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Random Stranger posted:

I want those people to explain to me where that money is going to come from. What do they think will happen to make the price go up, especially go up 1000x? Do they think money just bubbles up out of the etherium?

it's a video game understanding of money, as long as the number somehow goes up then everyone gets rich and can cash out

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's the point. The confusing jargon and learning needed to understand how everything works weeds out people who wouldn't be willing to sink their money into it, and creates an us-vs-them culture, further incentivizing investment of money.

You don't need to understand all of it to mock it. Just enough to know how stupid it is.

It's flim flam. The whole thing is pseudo-finance buzzwords that mean nothing. I really love how the bros out there are hypnotized by it and just keep falling for it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Dial A For Awesome posted:

How many slurp juices did you need to use on your pog to create that monster?

You only get 3x slurps a day bro, I told you you didn't know.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

istewart posted:

BAPES Clan GEN 2 appears to have upgraded to match the technology from the 1985 “Money for Nothing” music video, splendid

dire apes

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Kill All Cops posted:

the scientific technical term is "ape escape"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's flim flam. The whole thing is pseudo-finance buzzwords that mean nothing. I really love how the bros out there are hypnotized by it and just keep falling for it.

It's the same mindset as sovereign citizens, speaking to each other in free-association buzzword salad powered by greed-fueled magical thinking. They refuse to understand the complexities of the system while insisting they've figured out One Weird Trick to beating it. (In crypto bros' case, both finance and software)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/THoSdocumentary/status/1527748320260927488

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Hex is amazing, he keeps delaying his release while it loses value

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Golden Bee posted:

Apparently his coin is heading the way of Luna

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I came across an NFT Project that actually had a cool premise

That everyone buys in with an NFT level 1, then when you buy another you can "merge" them together to make a hybrid of the doner NFTs art. The idea being at the end to be holding some master NFT at power level 500 or W/e

Like I would never buy it, but atleast there is enough there for me to go "ok transactions as art, ownership being part of the process, comments on the value, neat enough for an art project"

But then I saw it , and they are just black dots that get slightly bigger as they "Hybridise"

So loving dumb, even when it's close to something of substance.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

I hate clicked though this all the way to the guys website. I had a physical reaction he repulses me so much. Also, my google algorithms are now ruined.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Crypto edging?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

i'm looking this up for the first time, and... yep

I almost feel bad

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

smellmycheese posted:

Apparently his coin is heading the way of Luna

To the moon, Alice

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Beartaco posted:

they could be hung dongs

where do i go to get some slurp juice? asking for a friend

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

A 40% APY?

Wow, one secret the banks don't want you to know.

*Looks at HEX price*

Oh. :cawg:

But the website assured me they were building a mighty financial empire using load-bearing tissue paper!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not everyone who gets into Crypto is a terrible person, but it absolutely attracts the most terrible people. Especially given all the hints that most of the people behind the big projects are Nazis.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
the thing is, people like my friend bought into it after enough research to think the promises etherium etc. made were true - that somehow their product would be useful to (and had commitments to be used by) big companies and industries. then the price exploded way beyond what that potential usefulness promised, and the use cases disappeared one by one leaving only grift. but the insane return she made between like '17-'21 has convinced her to hold on. it drives me nuts.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

A 40% APY?

*Looks at HEX price*

But the website assured me they were building a mighty financial empire using load-bearing tissue paper!
Unbeatable 20% APY returns! Why would you bother with crusty old boomer savings accounts?

*coin value goes down 5% in a day*

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

the thing is, people like my friend bought into it after enough research to think the promises etherium etc. made were true - that somehow their product would be useful to (and had commitments to be used by) big companies and industries. then the price exploded way beyond what that potential usefulness promised, and the use cases disappeared one by one leaving only grift. but the insane return she made between like '17-'21 has convinced her to hold on. it drives me nuts.
You could make an argument that it's "safer" (in the loosest sense of the word) gambling, in the sense that an end result can be compelled to occur through sheer force of will, rather than betting on the roulette wheel where it really is just chance. The whole LUNA thing lasted for several months, the original Ponzi schemes lasted years. You could have got in and out of a Ponzi scheme, made a profit, and legitimately argued that it worked for you in terms of making a profit. The same can be applied to crypto generally really.

The problem comes when people lose all sense of perspective, forget that it's betting, and fully buy in to the Crypto Twitter and YouTube talking heads narrative, that these things are solving problems that were hitherto unsolveable without The Power of the Blockchain, DeFi, etc. That's when it gets dangerous I think, particularly for people who can't afford to lose the sort of money they're sinking into it.

Also your friend should know full well that past returns are not an indicator of future returns, the fundamental axiom of investing.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 27, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

'Tech' has a tendency to short-circuit a lot of people's brains, because they've seen all those dumb toys for weird nerds suddenly blow up and change the world several times in the last couple decades, and so try to throw their money into what'll be the next Google, Apple, Netflix or Fortnite or whatever. See Theranos. The problem is that of course it's hard to understand technology well enough in both its capabilities and actual use cases to predict what'll take off and why, and a lot of marks don't even understand the very basics of that.

Crypto and NFT pitches are buzzword salad designed specifically to tickle the ignorant and credulous in that fashion, with constant incoherent promises of how this random poo poo they sell you will be valuable and desired Soon(tm) and that features and uses are on the way. Of course it makes no sense to people who actually understand anything about the market, but they're not the target audience- there's a reason it's lumped in with Metaverse poo poo (ie, basically reinventing Second Life) and Star Citizen really isn't far off.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

i'm looking this up for the first time, and... yep

I almost feel bad

Like why do you even need to ask that? The project achieved exactly what it was meant to, i.e. enrich its creator.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I thought all Luna coin mining was suspended?

What's to stop someone from making a new coin, claim it's a dollar use that coin to buy Terra and then offload their bag?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Has anyone made a bag NFT? Procedurally generate a bunch of different moneybags and promote how being a bagholder is the next big thing.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I think there's a compelling argument to be made here that Lowtax faked his own demise and has reinvented himself as a crypto scammer.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Chris Chan Chic

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

A 40% APY?

*Looks at HEX price*

Oh oh but wait! He's got the next ponzi ready in terms of Pulsechain, where he's so unoriginal his goal is to take money from Ethereum.

So it's like this: you made something and I want to grift what you've made, buy my poo poo I'm Richard Heart! :downs: Literally the American politics logic of "I'll pull you down to my level".

Just wait till people see how much bad financial buzzwords poo poo exists in crypto. For example there's a whole side of crypto convinced that seigniorage of the USD is a good thing, while unaware of why the entire concept was abandoned well over a century or two ago. Literally billions of dollars in this.

Or how most of crypto is labeled a token. What is a tokens value? 0, in the most practical sense. Everything else is literally speculation. While Bitcoin could go to 400k someday before it dies, the long-term future price is 0.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
The new Wes Anderson movie looks terrible.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

*walks into the dress barn* yo what's the dumpiest poo poo u got

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

He looks like he's wearing dress jogging pants

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Darth TNT posted:

I thought all Luna coin mining was suspended?

What's to stop someone from making a new coin, claim it's a dollar use that coin to buy Terra and then offload their bag?

a. Luna was never mined in the first place, only distributed to people who bought into the system.
b. The price of both Luna and Terra is effectively $0. It doesn't matter which you have, you could have a billion of both of them, you'd make like $5 selling it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
she looks like she's from the year 1990 and she's auditioning for the roll of Donna Hayward

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Kill All Cops posted:

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Total moronic reversal.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rejected comic from england that they offloaded onto us as punishment for independence vibe

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

NGL that apple box crate between them is in really good condition. Most of the sets I work on have really dumpy, creeky beat up ones like the two apple boxes on either side of it in this photo.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Random Stranger posted:

Total moronic reversal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Same energy and style as every other fake guru on social media.
If you were making proper money you wouldn't advertise it to randos.