Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They got the teacher's husband

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

and weren't willing to confront 3%'ers on the 6th.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Let's check in on The Democrats

https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/1529947693572931624?t=F0drInqbM7nkdCopiY0HQQ&s=19

Ok then

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't get it, are they saying the current police armament of a pistol and a stored long arm aren't enough to deal with one dude who has put himself in an area with engagement ranges of a few feet?

Are they saying things would be appreciably different if he had a shotgun or a pistol instead?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
there's a very large amount of liberal people who think the cops didn't engage because they were scared of the AR-15 and they are vastly outgunned

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

there's a very large amount of liberal people who think the cops didn't engage because they were scared of the AR-15 and they are vastly outgunned

Shocking how truly broken this country is. God they're worthless

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RI state Dems are in a frenzy to pass the gun bills they held for study earlier this year. Effectively would ban most semiauto rifles and mag limits of 10. Fully exempts all police current and retired as well as current military.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

*brings gun from the 99.9% of the country that isn't rhode island*
lol

Still though, better effort than we're gonna for most I bet

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's loving poo poo. Disarm the people, keep arms in the hands of those who you think can be trusted to use them against the people.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Looking just a few weeks into the future and... things with the global food supply are looking very dim. This will not end well at all. 2 billion people are in risk of going hungry. This is seriously giving me the doom&gloom feelies, all those people are not just gonna roll up and die. Guess we'll know next year around this time just how bad it is going to get, and what's going to happen because of it :(

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol

even larger than that, 99.96% :haw:

(also agreed)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol

The effort only results in disarming the law-abiding and giving police a further monopoly on force. But hey centrist liberals get to feel good and pat each other on the back about it I guess.

Basically they just really want an AR-15 ban but there hasn't been a single death caused by one of those in the state that I can find in the last 20 years.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't get it, are they saying the current police armament of a pistol and a stored long arm aren't enough to deal with one dude who has put himself in an area with engagement ranges of a few feet?

Are they saying things would be appreciably different if he had a shotgun or a pistol instead?

Yes. People posted several times that this was just going to lead to increased budgets for training or whatever. They weren’t joke posts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's not like schools where poor performance is punished. Or any other government enterprise (bar the military and IC). The number always goes up.

What were the court decisions where it was found they don't have an obligation to intervene, or to protect and serve, etc?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Force de Fappe posted:

Looking just a few weeks into the future and... things with the global food supply are looking very dim. This will not end well at all. 2 billion people are in risk of going hungry. This is seriously giving me the doom&gloom feelies, all those people are not just gonna roll up and die. Guess we'll know next year around this time just how bad it is going to get, and what's going to happen because of it :(

Yep. And the famine driving civil collapse and war throughout the less-wealthy parts of the world is going to happen next to corn ethanol in motor fuel and CAFOs.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Force de Fappe posted:

Can you elaborate? I know about the Ukrainian grain issue but is there something else going on?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Can you elaborate? I know about the Ukrainian grain issue but is there something else going on?

It is part legit and part hyperbole.

Yes, Ukraine produces a significant amount of wheat and sunflower seeds used for vegetable oil. When people combine that with India stating that they won't export their wheat this season due to their drought and poor yields, people freak out.

There will most certainly be more people starving this year compared to last. Especially so when you factor in the fact that many countries are experiencing economic issues/inflation. There will be some people, in specific areas, that will not have food available. There will be some people that will not be able to afford food and those people will starve.

It will not be 2 billion people starving to death and being wiped off the earth.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
When we hit a famine, do your duty and make sure your local grocery store is following the law and throwing out perfectly fresh food that doesn’t sell every evening.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's not like schools where poor performance is punished. Or any other government enterprise (bar the military and IC). The number always goes up.

What were the court decisions where it was found they don't have an obligation to intervene, or to protect and serve, etc?

Castle Rock v Gonzales and DeShaney v Winnebago established that due process does somehow not include any expectation that any government agency actually ever does anything or is ground for any liability regardless of how many people are killed/raped/harmed due to gross negligence.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I always knew Danny Ric would figure it out.

E: wrong thread but I’m watching formula 1 to escape this poo poo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Here have a picture of Monty to break up all the bullshit that is being talked about itt

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Not to be pedantic about it, but there's TWO pictures of Monty in that post, not one.

Anyhow, thanks for confirming that he's still a very handsome and good boy. Has he had any good pillow forts lately?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
He's so cute!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Ukraine/Russia is bad but export freezes are where the damage is really done since it locks up the system and creates further freezes as everyone starts to worry and reacts. You also have fertilizer worries and drought worries. Theres a bunch of easily accessible info and research since this stuff was obvious months ago.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Not to be pedantic about it, but there's TWO pictures of Monty in that post, not one.

Anyhow, thanks for confirming that he's still a very handsome and good boy. Has he had any good pillow forts lately?

Thought you said pillow farts and let me tell you what dude, he's always been a gasbag but as he's gotten older....

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Cop car outside my kid's school for the first time this week. Wonder if they realized they should look like they might actually do something.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

RI state Dems are in a frenzy to pass the gun bills they held for study earlier this year. Effectively would ban most semiauto rifles and mag limits of 10. Fully exempts all police current and retired as well as current military.

I’m sure those will survive the Supreme Court and won’t actually lead to all gun laws being declared illegal.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

2 billion is a bit of license, but:

Ukraine exported 18 million tonnes exported in 2020.

In the same year, Egypt imported ~ 8 million tonnes, Turkey 9.6 mln tonnes, Tunisia ~2 mln tonnes, Sri Lanka 1.4mln, Pakistan 2.4mln. (obviously not all Ukrainian wheat).

Losing 18 million tonnes/year of production sucks, but it's probably manageable.

But the war didn't just knock Ukrainian exports off. It also knocked out Russia's exports.

37 million tonnes of Russian exports, plus Ukrainian takes 54 million tonnes of wheat out of circulation. Russia's peak exports tallied ~44 mln tonnes in 2018.

India's export ban is tempting to write off as "who cares, they export practically nothing anyway", but the reason for the ban is that they've copped a 10-15% yield hit thanks to higher than normal temperatures. Since they exported ~0.9mln tonnes out of a total production of ~110mln tonnes in 2020, knock off 10% (for the yield clip) and they're probably going to be a net importer this year; we can't say that they'll import their total shortfall (they won't - they'll substitute for some other grain. Probably), but I'll pluck a number from my blind brown eye and add an additional 5mln tonnes in net import demand.

China's grain stores have been "mysteriously" catching fire for years whenever someone turns up to check how much grain they actually hold, so they're probably not going to release a bunch of supply on the market, Indonesia has banned the export of palm oil (think "cheap calories for poor people", not "Commodified extinction of the orangutan")

Now imagine that you've got a bunch of NIC's whose governments are a strange amalgam of kleptocracy and kakistocracy who have run down reserves of, well, everything but especially money since COVID kicked off (and, quite possibly, before) with nothing inbound to square the ledger and we arrive at about where we are now.

e: Oh, also fertilizer which Russia is the largest provider, but that probably won't kick in for another year. China significanlly reduced their exports of fertilizer in mid-2021.

e2: wheat production & export data sourced from fao.org

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 27, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

call me a LIB!!!!! but I also think the cops didn't engage because they were scared and they would've been a lot happier to fire a howitzer at the building until the problem went away

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

fknlo posted:

I’m sure those will survive the Supreme Court and won’t actually lead to all gun laws being declared illegal.

They're not much different than other states laws in NY, CA etc so idk.

I just wish if we were going to politicize a tragedy to pass kneejerk laws they would go for like "free access for all to mental health care" or something.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
You mean subsidize those people with Bootstraps Neglect Syndrome? No thank you!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

IPCRESS posted:

In the same year, Egypt imported ~ 8 million tonnes, Turkey 9.6 mln tonnes, Tunisia ~2 mln tonnes, Sri Lanka 1.4mln, Pakistan 2.4mln. (obviously not all Ukrainian wheat).

Losing 18 million tonnes/year of production sucks, but it's probably manageable.

But the war didn't just knock Ukrainian exports off. It also knocked out Russia's exports.

37 million tonnes of Russian exports, plus Ukrainian takes 54 million tonnes of wheat out of circulation. Russia's peak exports tallied ~44 mln tonnes in 2018.

India's export ban is tempting to write off as "who cares, they export practically nothing anyway", but the reason for the ban is that they've copped a 10-15% yield hit thanks to higher than normal temperatures. Since they exported ~0.9mln tonnes out of a total production of ~110mln tonnes in 2020, knock off 10% (for the yield clip) and they're probably going to be a net importer this year; we can't say that they'll import their total shortfall (they won't - they'll substitute for some other grain. Probably), but I'll pluck a number from my blind brown eye and add an additional 5mln tonnes in net import demand.

China's grain stores have been "mysteriously" catching fire for years whenever someone turns up to check how much grain they actually hold, so they're probably not going to release a bunch of supply on the market, Indonesia has banned the export of palm oil (think "cheap calories for poor people", not "Commodified extinction of the orangutan")

Now imagine that you've got a bunch of NIC's whose governments are a strange amalgam of kleptocracy and kakistocracy who have run down reserves of, well, everything but especially money since COVID kicked off (and, quite possibly, before) with nothing inbound to square the ledger and we arrive at about where we are now.

e: Oh, also fertilizer which Russia is the largest provider, but that probably won't kick in for another year. China significanlly reduced their exports of fertilizer in mid-2021.

Ukraine is a large sunflower oil exporter as well which fucks up the oil market which is a big deal.

Russias supply isn't really locked out since they export to a bunch of non aligned countries.

Currency fluctuations and recession worries don't help either.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 27, 2022

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

lightpole posted:

Ukraine is a large sunflower oil exporter as well which fucks up the oil market which is a big deal.

Russias supply isn't really locked out since they export to a bunch of non aligned countries.

Currency fluctuations and recession worries don't help either.
Yeah, not an expert on this, but there's a ton of sunshine between "plenty of food for everyone to get fat" and "everyone is starving to death because there is literally no food."

If food prices double, my fat rear end can just lay off the fun spending and bitch about how expensive food is. The 15% of kids who are already food insecure in the US, on the other hand, are going to bed hungry more, and probably having shittier health outcomes. The people in Yemen, Sudan, Ethiopia, etc. that can already not afford food are hosed.

Because capitalism dictates that even when there's enough food to feed everyone, some people still need to starve so I can remain fat on a perhaps slightly less bountiful variety of food choices available at my local grocery sore.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Zamujasa posted:

even larger than that, 99.96% :haw:

(also agreed)

Welp, found my new thread title.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, not an expert on this, but there's a ton of sunshine between "plenty of food for everyone to get fat" and "everyone is starving to death because there is literally no food."

If food prices double, my fat rear end can just lay off the fun spending and bitch about how expensive food is. The 15% of kids who are already food insecure in the US, on the other hand, are going to bed hungry more, and probably having shittier health outcomes. The people in Yemen, Sudan, Ethiopia, etc. that can already not afford food are hosed.

Because capitalism dictates that even when there's enough food to feed everyone, some people still need to starve so I can remain fat on a perhaps slightly less bountiful variety of food choices available at my local grocery sore.

This is why export bans are so bad, many of those countries worst off will struggle. It may not be global starvation but there are already localized issues.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

US crops aren't doing too hot lately either.

https://twitter.com/kannbwx/status/1521220568447655936

https://twitter.com/kannbwx/status/1528850699416657922?cxt=HHwWhICz1YznyLcqAAAA

https://twitter.com/kannbwx/status/1528871150842875904

(that whole twitter is dedicated to agri stuff and is woth a look)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

IPCRESS posted:

The United States could fix this problem overnight if we stopped turning food into fuel. We have the production capacity and the transportation capacity to handle all of it. But it won't poll well in Iowa and Monsanto needs it's subsidies, so people can just do without.

Edit: how loving convenient that grain harvests will be slightly down in a year where there's going to be food insecurity in parts of the world. I'm sure this will in no way lead to record profits for industrial agriculture.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 27, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ethanol has galled me for as long as it's been going on, how many other times in history has a government been dumb enough to subsidize both sides of a market??

dehumanize yourself and face to Corn.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 27, 2022

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I'm really not one for unsubstantiated claims even from checkmarks but given the absolute clusterfuck this has been already...

https://twitter.com/jdavidgoodman/status/1530212925754966017?t=8eSxVwdgIUvntdt695-kBQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm really not one for unsubstantiated claims even from checkmarks but given the absolute clusterfuck this has been already...

https://twitter.com/jdavidgoodman/status/1530212925754966017?t=8eSxVwdgIUvntdt695-kBQ&s=19

That’s a claim from the NYT. So, just more poo poo on the pile while the police will just continue to change the story to make them look less bad.

E:

https://twitter.com/mediaite/status/1530211008714838016?s=21&t=HhawPhCbg-gwq3dNYe7Dew

More holes in the story to go along with the ones in the children

fknlo fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 27, 2022