Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

kiimo posted:

That list always makes me think how bad the casting for the miniseries was.

William Hurt always sounded like he was either going to doze off in the middle of a scene or just tremendously bored

Maybe both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
jamis was a fremen, he was a sietchmate of mine
i never really understood his desert ways
but he helped me win in time

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He would have made a good emperor but lol at blond, doughy and balding William Hurt being Duke Leto Atreides, the hawk-like son of a bull fighter descended from Greek rulers.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Choose life. Choose a career. Choose a starter home. Choose cars, compact disc players, fixed interest mortgage payments.

Choose crysknives, suspensors and sandworm insurance. Choose a sietch. Choose your friends (of Jamis).

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mozi posted:

jamis was a fremen, he was a sietchmate of mine
i never really understood his desert ways
but he helped me win in time

Once I tried to run, I tried to run and hide
But Jamis came and found me and he touched me down inside
He is like mountie
He always gets his man, and he'll zap you any way he can
CHaaaaa-za!

Jamis is a friend of mine
Jamis is my friend
I have a friend in Jamis
Jamis is my friend

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Bardem was perfectly cast.

His meeting with the Duke was just awesome. Just totally nonplussed, same old bullshit.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jamis is such a piece of poo poo his dookie is wet

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Take Jamis' wife... please

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

I mean, it really should've been a MENA actor (along with the rest of the Fremen). But if they weren't going to do that... then yeah he was great.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

kiimo posted:

I was never a friend of Jamis. I'm glad he got embarrassed by a waterfat child

Jamis was very hurtful to me. He said bad, awful things and I fell down the sietch stairs and my desert boots fell off.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jamis, I hardly aimed.....s....!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Good soup! posted:

William Hurt always sounded like he was either going to doze off in the middle of a scene or just tremendously bored

Maybe both

God, he absolutely was just phoning it in. A fair few of the performances were mediocre but they were rarely so disinterested as Hurt's. At least the guy playing Harkonnen was having a hell of a fun time.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Liet Kynes was great

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

kalel posted:

my little random dunc thing I think about once in a while is the way bardem read the line "Jamis, don't do this. Don't." he says it all exasperated, I like to imagine it's the thousandth time stilgar's had to tell Jamis to stop with the bullshit. he's such a lil rascal

What does the book call it? The carving anger?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Jewmanji posted:

I mean, it really should've been a MENA actor (along with the rest of the Fremen). But if they weren't going to do that... then yeah he was great.

I think BR2049 had a similar issue where they didn't have any east Asians in the cast despite so much of the aesthetic borrowing from there. Yet BR2049 had a Palestinian actress and Dune had a Taiwanese actor.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was a friend of Jamis but he was always slightly pissed off at me because I constantly pronounced his name "Hamiss" even though I know he hated it

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I was a friend of Jamis but that dude always put in the tiniest glob of spit into the spit coffee. Even when we told him to spit in it more, he would just mumble something about dry mouth and change the subject.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Cacator posted:

Dune had a Taiwanese actor.
Yueh is canonically Asian too. The book describes him as having an "epicanthic folds," which is a fancy way of describing East Asian eyes. I remember this because its how I learned a neat new word.

Now that I think of it ten thousand years in the future distinctive racial features might be completely differrent, oh well, I already typed this.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

The Bloop posted:

I was a friend of Jamis but he was always slightly pissed off at me because I constantly pronounced his name "Hamiss" even though I know he hated it

I was doing this too lol he asked if I knew you and I played coy and he broke a bunch of Guild china we had just stolen. Issues.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

whats the most you ever lost on an amtal duel

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I was a friend with benefits of Jamis

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

phasmid posted:

Choose life. Choose a career. Choose a starter home. Choose cars, compact disc players, fixed interest mortgage payments.

Choose crysknives, suspensors and sandworm insurance. Choose a sietch. Choose your friends (of Jamis).

lol

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

pnumoman posted:

I was a friend of Jamis but that dude always put in the tiniest glob of spit into the spit coffee. Even when we told him to spit in it more, he would just mumble something about dry mouth and change the subject.

Everybody knows it’s spit spit pass

Never bogart the spice coffee

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Sand rage is what happens when you get one to three (1-3) grains of sand inside your stillsuit

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Jamis stated he did not like me or want me posting.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Bubblyblubber posted:

Jamis was very hurtful to me. He said bad, awful things and I fell down the sietch stairs and my desert boots fell off.

And he poked me in my belly and he stole my water of life

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i like jamis
and i hope you like jamis too

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of Jamis

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

chani and usul were in the desert drinking the water of life to look into the place reverend mothers dare not go and one of the visions looked at me

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Has anyone said hornithopters yet?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Jamis and I were really close in highschool, but then he got into that whole thing with Geoff, and then had to marry Harah, and I had to move to Jacurutu for water-stealing college and I don't know, I feel like we just... naturally drifted apart, you know?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

chani and usul were in the desert drinking the water of life to look into the place reverend mothers dare not go and one of the visions looked at me

The vision looked at you? Jessica, get me Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

friendship ended with gurney

now jamis is my best friend

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I was a friend of Jamis. When that sandlouse Mubar called me water fat I told Jamis he was making eyes at Harah, so Jamis stabbed him.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bubblyblubber posted:

Jamis and I were really close in highschool, but then he got into that whole thing with Geoff, and then had to marry Harah, and I had to move to Jacurutu for water-stealing college and I don't know, I feel like we just... naturally drifted apart, you know?

It's funny how you can be friends with someone like Jamis in highschool and he's just a wild character but then you get a little older and he starts sending you conspiracy theory posts from Spacebook and you realize it isn't really amusing anymore. Before the end he was full-on Q-Abom talking about how lasguns couldn't melt shield beams

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
4spice memes

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the sardaukar, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Arrakis, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in desert warfare and I'm the top hunter-seeker operator in the entire imperial armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before in this universe, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of harkonnen spies and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in throat singing, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the lansraat and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable house off the face of the planet you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" jihad was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're loving dead, kiddo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FBS posted:

Take Jamis' wife... please

Jamis at open mic night was a trip

I tell ya I get no respect. Take my wife Harah, she kisses the chairdog on the lips yet she won't drink from my catchtube!

The other day we're all making spit tea and one of the guys says don't worry Harrah we all already got yours

What an amazing audience. Listen I had a tough childhood when I was a child I was kidnapped by Harkonnens. They sent my pinkie to my father he said they needed more proof!

Listen these Arrakeen city Naibs these days they're just the worst. I said have you ever ridden Shai Hulud he says he grew up racing worms in the city. We got on top I said where you going he said I only know how to turn left!

I'm a terrible lover I tell ya I'm the only guy in the spice orgy that got booed. My wife cut me down to once a week, I consider myself lucky though some guys she cut out completely.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I was a casual acquaintance of Jamis, we'd see each other at the water of life cooler and talk about the weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

kiimo posted:

It's funny how you can be friends with someone like Jamis in highschool and he's just a wild character but then you get a little older and he starts sending you conspiracy theory posts from Spacebook and you realize it isn't really amusing anymore. Before the end he was full-on Q-Abom talking about how lasguns couldn't melt shield beams