Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is a problem I see happen sometimes at Wizards, where they'll try to "correct" a problem card by printing a weaker updated version, but instead of managing to correct the problem, they simply produce a dead card that no one will play in eternal formats.

<…>

See also the meme of Colossal Dreadmaw vs Carnage Tyrant, where the exact same cost creature has better stats and more abilities on the rare version in the same set.
I’m going to single out and pick on this example because it’s a bad one. Limited is a format that exists, and a 4GG 6/6 with trample is a perfectly reasonable card to have in multiples at a draft table, while a 4GG 7/6 with trample and more importantly _hexproof_ is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
First off, who cares about the deck diversity of the "missile" (mana ramp and cards that get you to a goal) instead of the "payload" (cards that actually do things)?

Also, why talk about these little mind games and rule zero poo poo when you're designing the game? You can fix the problem: just make the 3 drops better. Cards like Coalition Relic and Worn Powerstone used to be playable because they could provide 2 mana. Looking at the list since Ikoria, we have none that produce more than one, which is the curse of the fear of fast mana. As far as the cards we actually got, the cycling Crystals (like Savai Crystal) seem like a reasonable starting place, since I don't have to actually cast it to get that card if you don't need the mana, unlike pieces of poo poo like Cluestones/Lockets/Letter of Acceptance. For comparison, Commander's Sphere is borderline playable because that card is available for zero mana even if the sphere is tapped so it's upside is pretty free, and Mindstone would be playable if it were blank because it's 2.

It seems like most of what they do is "3 drop with set mechanic" like The Celestus or Dungeon Map, but consider that Planeshift's Fractured Powerstone sees ten thousand times more play because the ability virtually always matters less than costing 2. If you're playing with the set ability, then you're not getting a mana rock; you're getting a tool with mana upside.

I think people were thinking about Stryxhaven Stadium making a splash for token decks but I don't it it panned out, since Triumph requires no setup and can't get Oxidized. Honored Heirloom looks decent but is certainly too slow, considering Lion Sash / Scavenging Ooze / even Withered Wretch are way more efficient and the first two have upside. I was happy to see Skyclave Relic as a possible second Everflowing Chalice but it's just so much less good because 3 is not 2.

What would be a playable 3? I dunno, but that's not my job to figure out.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
A playable 3?

Search your library for two nonland permanents with mana abilities that have total cmc of 3 or less. Put one into your hand and the other onto the battlefield.

Why? Because gently caress your three: the best three is sol ring into arcane signet.

Also make the spell green, because loooool

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 26, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The bellyaching over staples in deckbuilding seems so overwrought to me. You don’t have to free yourself from the crystalline mind cage of running Sol Ring & Swords to Plowshares, you GET to run those cards, because this is the only format where you can!

Remember also that you can just not run Sol Ring in your 100 card singleton deck and you’ll probably never notice or care, playing dozens of games and only noticing you don’t have a Sol Ring when your opponents get theirs in their opener.

I have a 100% cEDH breakneck hulk combo deck that doesn’t run Sol Ring or Mana Crypt because A) my colored pips are really demanding on combo turns and B) I like running decks without artifacts in them and guess what? It’s fine, it stomps, and adding Sol Ring might make it better, but only by adding % points to a deck that already functions perfectly.

That said, it’s entirely possible to make 3-drop mana rocks that are fun, cool, and playable, Celestus is a great example, but I also really love

This card is AWESOME, and in general I think “a three mana effect that then becomes a mana rock AFTER you get 3 mana. Worth of THING out of it” is a really great template. Getting to dump 2-4-8 of these into play with Osgir is always completely loving insane.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

kurona_bright posted:

I’m going to single out and pick on this example because it’s a bad one. Limited is a format that exists, and a 4GG 6/6 with trample is a perfectly reasonable card to have in multiples at a draft table, while a 4GG 7/6 with trample and more importantly _hexproof_ is not.

Sure, I agree, but limited is the kind of the exact opposite of eternal.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Funny that Dreadmaw just came up

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

The bellyaching over staples in deckbuilding seems so overwrought to me. You don’t have to free yourself from the crystalline mind cage of running Sol Ring & Swords to Plowshares, you GET to run those cards, because this is the only format where you can!

Remember also that you can just not run Sol Ring in your 100 card singleton deck and you’ll probably never notice or care, playing dozens of games and only noticing you don’t have a Sol Ring when your opponents get theirs in their opener.

I have a 100% cEDH breakneck hulk combo deck that doesn’t run Sol Ring or Mana Crypt because A) my colored pips are really demanding on combo turns and B) I like running decks without artifacts in them and guess what? It’s fine, it stomps, and adding Sol Ring might make it better, but only by adding % points to a deck that already functions perfectly.

That said, it’s entirely possible to make 3-drop mana rocks that are fun, cool, and playable, Celestus is a great example, but I also really love

This card is AWESOME, and in general I think “a three mana effect that then becomes a mana rock AFTER you get 3 mana. Worth of THING out of it” is a really great template. Getting to dump 2-4-8 of these into play with Osgir is always completely loving insane.

drat how did I miss this for my Trashman deck..... now I need to figure out a cut. This would be just to much fun dropping multiple copies of on the same turn.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've seen videos of Barroom Brawl that try to hype it up and... I think it's trash.

Is there anyone here who can explain why this isn't trash?

You hit the first guy, he gets salty, and says "I don't copy the spell because gently caress you," and well done you just cast Prey Upon (a trash common) for one extra mana and with the limitation that it can only hit the guy to your left.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Azza Bamboo posted:

I've seen videos of Barroom Brawl that try to hype it up and... I think it's trash.

You hit the first guy, he gets salty, and says "I don't copy the spell because gently caress you," and well done you just cast Prey Upon (a trash common) for one extra mana and with the limitation that it can only hit the guy to your left.

It's trash and content creators hype it for clicks.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Azza Bamboo posted:

You're right that giving opponents choices is usually bad. One thing to consider is that unlike the old Chain of Acid or Chain of Vapor, the copied spell is completely free, and people love free poo poo. Another interesting thing is that if there is someone who has a single creature in play that can be killed by the player to their right, it is impossible for it to 'backfire' around to you since they will have no creatures to target to cast the spell. You can also use it to give another player a prey upon by agreement in desperate times, since many of those spells need it to be your own creature, but that is outrageously niche. It also gets quite bad if you're down to two players.

It's better than most of the "other people can pay mana to cast this spell" stuff, but it's still likely to be strictly medium in the best of times and bad most of the time.

I'd rather see a bunch of these weird cards get made for people who still like the game, rather than, "we printed a 3 mana card with 6 abilities" pushed nonsense.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Framboise posted:

Yeah, it's better and more synergistic if you think of your deck composition as a collection of loadouts or archetype shells and filling in the blanks from there, imo.

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with "auto-includes" either. You can just not run them if you don't want to, it's not like a couple cards out of 99 is going to swing that many games unless they're vital to your strategy and you make it a priority to get every game-- in which case choosing not to is kind of a bad choice.

I'm experimenting with my cEDH Sythis deck, running 0 mana rocks. No sol ring, no crypt, no monolith, no diamond, no amber, no chrome, nothing. A big part of it is that the deck pushes hard on artifact hate and very few cards need colorless mana, and the deck is capable of generating huge amounts of mana in other ways (earthcraft and token generators, sanctum and cradle, land enchantments, etc), but still.

I have a Tuvasa enchantress deck which doesn't have a single artefact in it. Not only does it feel good to do something usual but you are also making quite a few cards across all of your opponents decks completely dead draws against you.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It feels amazing to be like “oh I guess I run one artifact” and drop Null Rod on the table

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My Vazi Bitcoin deck is coming together. Disrupting Mana bases ("to the Blood Moon," Quicksilver Fountain, Hall of Gemstones) and generating NFTreasures while I destroy everyone else's land and Mana rocks and give them treasures to spend. Then I filled out the rest of the deck with Apes and Monkeys.

It's the worst thing I've ever built

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Any of you going to CommandFest and getting a card personally banned by Sheldon by ruining his fun with it?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Dysgenesis posted:

I have a Tuvasa enchantress deck which doesn't have a single artefact in it. Not only does it feel good to do something usual but you are also making quite a few cards across all of your opponents decks completely dead draws against you.

Oh, my Sythis deck has a couple artifacts in it, like Null Rod, Grafdigger's Cage, and Cloudstone Curio. It just doesn't have any with activated abilities or making colorless mana I wouldn't be able to make good use of.

Like there's only 2 cards in the whole deck that cost more than 4 mana, and it's Elesh Norn and Nature's Revolt-- both of which are endgame cards where I should have at least Cradle, Sanctum, or Sanctum Weaver on board to cast with.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Batterypowered7 posted:

Any of you going to CommandFest and getting a card personally banned by Sheldon by ruining his fun with it?

Ask him to sign it before it's banned

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

whats the go to place for looking up decent decks? not competitive but also not decks with random bad cards

I watched a couple of "I Hate your Deck" games and they seem pretty good, a lot of the decks they're using are ones i'm interested in, angels, tribals etc. Might have to get Patreon to see their decklists

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah about that...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Heath posted:

Yeah about that...

oh god what?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CODChimera posted:

oh god what?

That channel has had a very rocky recent history

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CODChimera posted:

oh god what?

The guy who runs the channel, Michael David Lynch, is also a filmmaker. One of the actors he worked with, Benita Robledo, told her story, where he coerced her into filming nude and threatened to damage her career. Since that surfaced, one of the guests who made an appearance on I Hate Your Deck (Rachel Weeks) said she doesn't want her episode airing at all. It has since been taken away from public viewing on YouTube. With this going on, it's no surprise that the channel might appear to be shrinking away into its core of Patreon supporters.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

Since that surfaced, one of the guests who made an appearance on I Hate Your Deck (Rachel Weeks) said she doesn't want her episode airing at all. It has since been taken away from public viewing on YouTube.

To go into a little more detail on this: the allegations came out, Weeks asked that her episode not air, Lynch blocked her and posted it anyway. Lynch only made it private when Weeks tweeted about it and he got a ton of backlash.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
While we’re on the topic, don’t watch Commander’s Quarters, either. Commander Mechanic and Gemstone Mine podcast are goon-tubes by people ITT that everyone seems to really love and enjoy, but we can give you much better guidance if you tell us what kind of decks you want to build or your preferred power level.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Bust Rodd posted:

While we’re on the topic, don’t watch Commander’s Quarters, either. Commander Mechanic and Gemstone Mine podcast are goon-tubes by people ITT that everyone seems to really love and enjoy, but we can give you much better guidance if you tell us what kind of decks you want to build or your preferred power level.

Hi yes it’s me, the Commander Mechanic. Please watch my stuff.

Also I’m a special guest for CommandFest Richmond so if anyone’s going come see me I have goodies to give away.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Dunno how anyone can tolerate Mitch at all this point. The man's a clickbait farm at best now.

A shame really, his earliest decks were actually pretty good-- I still have my Zada deck put together and my cousin used the Edric list to get back into Magic and he still bodyslams our cEDH prize pods on a weekly basis with an upgraded version of it. But after a while Mitch just started slapping any old jank into a deck and calling it playable, encouraging people to buy worthless niche cards that aren't even good in the deck he designed them around rather than encouraging people to buy good, worthwhile staples, all for the sake of trying to stay relevant after he ran out of ideas.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Mitch lost a lot of Internet clout after he tried to make himself into the commander antipope, and instead made a format inhabited entirely by Nazis.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
That too. Mitch just sucks in general and his content reeks of desperation.

Watch goon content.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Strangely I haven't had a Mitch video recommended to me ins long time. I wonder if the algorithm deemed him unworthy

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't either, but that's because I told Youtube to stop recommending him to me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh my god I’m having such FOMO about not being at CommandFest Richmond next week. All my favorites are gonna be there and I’ve been absolutely STOMPING in my locals. I know it’s not % significant to matter, but I literally haven’t lost a game of commander since I stopped taking notes and tracking stats. I’m caring less, interacting less, holding on to my interaction for as long as possible, taking lots of short term mid game Ls… and then going “Voila! I win!” every game. I’m broke and have to stay here in town to work but oh my goodness gracious do I want to be there playing commander with the peeps!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh my god I’m having such FOMO about not being at CommandFest Richmond next week. All my favorites are gonna be there and I’ve been absolutely STOMPING in my locals. I know it’s not % significant to matter, but I literally haven’t lost a game of commander since I stopped taking notes and tracking stats. I’m caring less, interacting less, holding on to my interaction for as long as possible, taking lots of short term mid game Ls… and then going “Voila! I win!” every game. I’m broke and have to stay here in town to work but oh my goodness gracious do I want to be there playing commander with the peeps!

Heh, winning? Sounds like you're playing Commander wrong, bucko.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

To the Commander Mechanic goon - I really enjoyed you video on backgrounds.

I will sub to gemstone mine now too.

E - Hmm I already was but they haven't been coming up much on my feed. I'll try and make a point of watching them.

Dysgenesis fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 27, 2022

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Double post to say on the topic of good commander channels the nitpicking nerds is developing into something I really like.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Dysgenesis posted:

To the Commander Mechanic goon - I really enjoyed you video on backgrounds.

I will sub to gemstone mine now too.

E - Hmm I already was but they haven't been coming up much on my feed. I'll try and make a point of watching them.

Thanks!

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Balon posted:

Thanks!

It's currently also on the front page of edhrec.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Dysgenesis posted:

It's currently also on the front page of edhrec.

Yup that’s something any creator can reach out to EDHRec about. That feed accounts for ~5% of my video views.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It's once in a blue moon but, Quest for The Janklord is a fun EDH channel that will do stuff like randomized commanders, pauper, pure jank games. Prof over at Tolarian Community College has Shuffle Up & Play which includes a whole bunch of other formats outside of EDH, Nitpicking Nerds will sometimes put out gameplay videos.

On the other side of the I Hate Your Deck stuff, Joe Johnston was originally kicked out for being poo poo to his Patrons on the Discord, verbally abusive, and usually just being the kind of player that lied about the power of his decks to just steam roll over everyone else and would take being attacked or targeted personally.

I enjoyed this Commander Mechanic Vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uug1Ec-LDuY

Jiro fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 27, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/ghirapurigears/status/1530207887863083009

Am I missing something or is this card just bad?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s mid AF but it’s still 3 cards for 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

If you're the kind of person who thought Secret Rendezvous was some of the best card draw ever printed, that one is basically Ancestral Recall.