Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

They're not even playing 4 Murktide in Modern anymore, it's 4 Shredder 2 Murktide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

They're not even playing 4 Murktide in Modern anymore, it's 4 Shredder 2 Murktide

The only person I've seen cutting down to 2 Murktides is Gab Nassif and I disagree with the choice

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

flatluigi posted:

nah, those players are invested in the game (in more ways than one!) and completely ignoring them isn't the right answer either

You'd think (and by that I think) that they'd be invested no matter what. Come rain storm or weird cards they are in to buy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Reprint but the new art kicks rear end lol

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
And they appear to be in the courtyard from Rest in Peace? Anyway ban Murktide Regent in modern and legacy

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

champagne posting posted:

You'd think (and by that I think) that they'd be invested no matter what. Come rain storm or weird cards they are in to buy

never underestimate how much a player of any game wants to be catered to directly by the devs

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Also Ledger Shredder kicks rear end and is a great addition to Murktide. I bought a playset from my LGS for $1 each and the next day it went up to like $9. Now they're $20 in paper which is a bit excessive imo

I'm so mad. I preordered 4 promos at 2.50 each from two different stores on TCG player and all four have disappeared in the mail.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

Here's my favorite example. This is the creature base in UR Delver, the most popular Legacy deck, in the last event before MH2:

This is from the first event after MH2:

They just immediately replaced all the non-Delver creatures with new creatures from MH2, and they were right to do so. "Well, that was the first event, surely the meta adjusted later!" Yeah, it did. Within two months, they'd started cutting Delvers, too:

Banning Ragavan got (most of) the decks back up to four Delvers, but even then they're not adding back in any of the other creatures other than usually one Brazen Borrower. They're mostly just playing extra Mishra's Baubles to make it easier to cast an early Murktide.

Man shows how little attention I've been paying to Legacy I guess, I didn't even realize he got banned out of the format.

Now if we can just do the same in Modern... honestly for both W6 and Ragavan. When a lot of the 4C moneypile mega greedy decks are starting to run ragavans as well for some reason it just seems like a problem. Though I'll admit, playing the most expensive card in your moneypile deck is on brand.

I know deep in my heart what's going to happen is I'm going to buy W6 with the reprint when the price gets lower, then a few months later they'll ban it

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 27, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Murktide is so egregious. I played in a vintage event over the weekend and Murktide won the whole thing. In vintage!

What should have won it instead?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

Every time I've watched Vintage, I'm a little shocked how much it looks like understandable Magic. I always kind of expect games to be functionally decided on T2 when the person going first had Force for their Force on a 20-year-old artifact with 100 words on it I've never heard of and don't understand. Maybe it used to be that way?

e: looking at Vintage lists just reminded me of the 4-5 months Historic had Brainstorm in it lol

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 27, 2022

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think Ragavan should be banned in all formats, they made the card too good on purpose and now the joke of the 1 drop that ramps and draws has grown old. I have grown tired of it.

Lone Goat posted:

This is a pointless question to ask, because the answer is obviously "anything else" and you should start from that point.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
It was fun do debate if channeler was the better card.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Framboise posted:

Whoever wrote the card needs to be flicked in the forehead for the weird wording, but I get it: Pick a creature you control, everyone else picks a creature they control with equal or lesser power, exile any remaining creatures on battlefield that were not chosen. I don't know why they had to write it the way they did.

I've said it before, recently, but I hate this style of card: a designer wants to make a card that does a unique thing. There's no clean way to word the card under current templating rules, but drat it, they're going ahead with it anyway even if the text box is awkward.

Huxley posted:

Every time I've watched Vintage, I'm a little shocked how much it looks like understandable Magic. I always kind of expect games to be functionally decided on T2 when the person going first had Force for their Force on a 20-year-old artifact with 100 words on it I've never heard of and don't understand. Maybe it used to be that way?

e: looking at Vintage lists just reminded me of the 4-5 months Historic had Brainstorm in it lol

When I head judged my friend's first Vintage event, I asked if I should set the clocks for the minimum allowed time of 40 minutes. That's all they need when games are over in two turns, right? He laughed and I found out that because most decks are capable of winning turn one, every deck is packed with enough disruption to make sure that doesn't happen.

Vintage decks started looking more like every other constructed format by the time I quit judging because of power creep in modern sets. Lots of Vintage players don't like that, but there's nothing they can do about it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The funniest thing I learned about vintage is that most people, if given the choice of any card in their deck when demonic tutor or similar resolves, will choose to grab ancestral recall. Three random cards from deck are just that much better than any single card. It has looped back around to the format where people regularly animate 4-cost artifacts to beat down their opponent over a few turns because the dust settled and one guy has a karn in play and his opponent has 3 moxen and nothing else.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Monastery Mentor

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If Shops is ever not the best deck in Vintage then something is very, very wrong.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think Ragavan should be banned in all formats, they made the card too good on purpose and now the joke of the 1 drop that ramps and draws has grown old. I have grown tired of it.

:hai:

It's way beyond what the appropriate power level is and I'd like it gone from Modern as well.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

LifeLynx posted:

I've said it before, recently, but I hate this style of card: a designer wants to make a card that does a unique thing. There's no clean way to word the card under current templating rules, but drat it, they're going ahead with it anyway even if the text box is awkward.
Wouldn't "As an additional cost to cast this spell, choose a creature you control" achieve the same effect anyway? I guess choosing doesn't count as a cost but...

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Tibalt posted:

Wouldn't "As an additional cost to cast this spell, choose a creature you control" achieve the same effect anyway? I guess choosing doesn't count as a cost but...

No, that wouldn't allow for removing the caster's only creature in response, since nothing is faster than paying a cost.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Lone Goat posted:

Me, on grixis Sedgemoor Witch

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

wotc, please notify me when ragavan is about to be banned so i can sell the last copy i have lying around somewhere.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Wotc, please notify me when you ban Ragavan so I can wait a week later and buy a reasonably priced one for my pirates EDH deck.

Pepper Crab
Mar 2, 2013

Let's just unban Mental Misstep instead

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

I could be insane but I think this card is going to make a splash somewhere. Yeah, BTE at home but this one can get you to 5 mana on T3 like regularly as a common.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pepper Crab posted:

Let's just unban Mental Misstep instead

Yes, yes, im a complete sicko as well

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

I could be insane but I think this card is going to make a splash somewhere. Yeah, BTE at home but this one can get you to 5 mana on T3 like regularly as a common.

drat yeah this guy is really solid. If nothing else he's gonna see play in Pauper, as well as CEDH Godo decks. If it were modern legal it would probably end up played there too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

what did they do to the most holy of holies, the gem-eyed idol on the 1e PHB

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Probably gonna sell it to some British museum

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It still has both its eyes. I bet there's a company that does a 'adventurer decoy' wholesale business.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AngryBooch posted:

We had this with colorless instead of red and it didn't make waves - it had additional upside with sometimes giving haste too

Servant also asks you to tap it, but if your goal is to ramp then that's not that big a deal

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
no i think the differences are pretty significant. colorless is much worse than red for one.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Devor posted:

We had this with colorless instead of red and it didn't make waves - it had additional upside with sometimes giving haste too

Servant also asks you to tap it, but if your goal is to ramp then that's not that big a deal

One can be done the turn its played. One can attack and then sack. One isn't colorless mana. 2/2 vs 2/1. Seems like they aren't on the same power level.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

With a ruby medallion and birgi in play, reckless barbarian is just Desperate Ritual #9-12 in legacy mono red storm, but idk if that deck really wants it

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Silhouette posted:

With a ruby medallion and birgi in play, reckless barbarian is just Desperate Ritual #9-12 in legacy mono red storm, but idk if that deck really wants it

I feel like between seething song and rite of flames mana is pretty much never the problem for mono r storm, but I've never played either legacy storm variant

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I feel like if you want a ritual you don't want to put it on a body and vice versa.
BTE lets you have both which is why it gets to be played.
I mean this is eternal, you need to be doing a lot to see play.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sickening posted:

One can be done the turn its played. One can attack and then sack. One isn't colorless mana. 2/2 vs 2/1. Seems like they aren't on the same power level.

I feel like this is bragging about a powerful new Elvish Spirit Guide that is now a 3/2

It's not that important when the floor is a bit better if the ceiling is the same

Edit: If there's a pauper storm deck that wants bad Manamorphose, it has a home

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

balder's gate still isn't coming to arena right? I keep having to remind myself that I don't care about this set

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There is going to be a curated Alchemy version that can be drafted? I think there's going to be a mastery pass for it

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There is going to be a curated Alchemy version that can be drafted? I think there's going to be a mastery pass for it

Sweet I can skip that and save my gold for the fall set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Weirdly they announced that Baldur’s Gate isn’t even coming to MTGO and blamed it on issues with transitioning to the new developer