Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Bruceski posted:

Solid Snake gave his actual name as Iriquois Pliskin, might've been a fake one.

I believe the names of other Snakes are unknown.

E: wait, Solidus is George Sears. OTHER Snakes don't have a known last name. So many Snakes.

IIRC, Solid Snake gives his real name as "David" at some point, so Iriquois Pliskin is a pseudonym. It's the best we've got though, so it's what I gave him in my own character pool.

Update near the bottom of the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Fabricated posted:

This LP got me to reinstall the game, again. I feel like my memory is failing me- I remember all of the additional ticking clock measures to kill overwatch creep not really being a bother ,but wow sometimes it's pretty unreasonable. I haven't lost any goals but the stupid "Tag the crate" supply raids and retaliation missions can feel extremely unfair? I've hit the ground with high-mobility groups doing blind max-distance moves right off the bat and I've had these types of missions turn out where *half* of the civvies are dead by the time I engage a pod, or Advent is snatching the crates I *just* reached. I only managed to get some on my latest supply raid because it was a lost mission and I was able to abuse implacable on a very high mobility ranger.

The fair part about the crate missions is that the first crate you get is like half the max rewards. As with the doom counter, you're not under nearly so much pressure as it feels like.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

The original image before you edited that picture said "They took her home. She'll take their lives", which had a REAL amusing double-meaning considering the sexy poses mod decided to kick in then :). Don't try to stick your DNA probe in crazy, I guess.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Is there a mod for sweeping the shadow chamber shards off the floor? Very untidy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Just walk around them jeez ill clean it up later mom

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
With regards to time pressures and retaliation sites and crane game resource pick up missions; You really can not, nor are expected to, get all of the civvies/crates. Civvies is pretty much never going to happen no matter what. The aliens move in abstract in the shroud and kill one civilian a turn almost guaranteed. It's more of a turn counter than anything. Typically you can ignore it and just worry about shooting all the advent dead and win with plenty still left alive. The crane game is a bit of a dick since you can't reliably scout and reach every crate in time. Again it's not really an issue or even intended for you to get all of them. Get the ones that are along your way and worry more about shooting advent. Mission ends when they're all dead and then you get all the remaining crates free, so may as well focus on that.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Jade Star posted:

With regards to time pressures and retaliation sites and crane game resource pick up missions; You really can not, nor are expected to, get all of the civvies/crates. Civvies is pretty much never going to happen no matter what. The aliens move in abstract in the shroud and kill one civilian a turn almost guaranteed. It's more of a turn counter than anything. Typically you can ignore it and just worry about shooting all the advent dead and win with plenty still left alive. The crane game is a bit of a dick since you can't reliably scout and reach every crate in time. Again it's not really an issue or even intended for you to get all of them. Get the ones that are along your way and worry more about shooting advent. Mission ends when they're all dead and then you get all the remaining crates free, so may as well focus on that.

Losing (or just failing to steal) supplies would be a lot funnier if it meant an advent chump gets stuck in the open due to having his cover deleted the same way it works for players, but alas they've already RFID-tagged their crates of cheetos

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

MadDogMike posted:

The original image before you edited that picture said "They took her home. She'll take their lives", which had a REAL amusing double-meaning considering the sexy poses mod decided to kick in then :). Don't try to stick your DNA probe in crazy, I guess.
This is pretty solid advice for dealing with the Sisters of Battle in general, really.

Can't wait to see who gets all the movement bonuses next. Just have an entire team of soldiers who can move across the map in a blue move and trigger every single enemy pod at once.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I find it quite impressive that Tygan, who comes from a medical background, was able to outmaneuver what was effectively a deadly computer virus with minimal effort. Does Advent include cybersecurity defense courses in their new standards for med school?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Would Reaper with the Sister of Battle trigger that wave attack?

I recall that wave attack knocks down walls (and causes early reveals) so I have this amusing image of the Sister absolutely wrecking the battlefield with Psionic energy waves.

Which would be cool.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

AradoBalanga posted:

I find it quite impressive that Tygan, who comes from a medical background, was able to outmaneuver what was effectively a deadly computer virus with minimal effort. Does Advent include cybersecurity defense courses in their new standards for med school?

Yes in the future, all medical professional researchers must learn bioinformatics which in the future require courses in cutting edge cybersecurity.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

AradoBalanga posted:

To be fair, his specialty was literally inserting computer chips into your brain. That probably lead to a certain amount of computer skills

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jade Star posted:

The game will hand you an overhand dunk on retaliation missions sometimes and have it be a "directed" one where the civvies/resistance support are in two discrete groups openly marked on the map right from the word go, and the enemy pods are basically docile until you bother to show up. I just had one on my 4th retaliation mission and saved 19/19 civvies because the resistance support was absolutely ripping the poo poo out of the X-rays. Took out 2 berserkers, 2 codex, and a spectre. I wish I could've recruited them.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Yeah, the Resistance fighters are surprisingly competent. They soloed the Hunter in one of my previous playthroughs

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

BlazetheInferno posted:

IIRC, Solid Snake gives his real name as "David" at some point, so Iriquois Pliskin is a pseudonym. It's the best we've got though, so it's what I gave him in my own character pool.

Update near the bottom of the previous page.

I thought he gave his name as John at the end of MGS1.

But as others have pointed out, their surname is Sears, since they're brothers of Solidus.

Which doesn't matter because this snake is Venom, who is canonically NOT a member of the Sears family

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

But as others have pointed out, their surname is Sears, since they're brothers of Solidus.

Which doesn't matter because this snake is Venom, who is canonically NOT a member of the Sears family

Honestly, I'm pretty sure they were adopted out to different families, they wouldn't have kept Big Boss's last name. (incidentally, Big Boss himself is the one named John; Solid Snake reveals his name as David to Otacon in their ending).

But yeah, we're getting off-topic.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Veloxyll posted:

Nah, he gives it as Dave. He and Otacon have a laugh about it because Otacon's name is Hal.

John is Big Boss.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

OK the MGSV conversation at the end of this video is hilarious

"I thought it was Big Boss"

"No"

"But it can't be Solid Snake...OHHHH"

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Having a hard time getting recording time with Guava, so in the meantime please enjoy some previously recorded Outer Wilds.

I may have to go check my basement for some leftover fake Guavas.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I still didn't figure it out with the improved vision so I'm either obtuse or the vision is more obscure that the devs think it is.

Edit: also, I think technically Jade Star hasn't learned why he needed to get to the spooky opera building and is sequence breaking a bit, but that's the brilliance of the design of this game.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 20, 2022

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jade Star posted:

Having a hard time getting recording time with Guava

Chaos Gate getting in the way?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

ulmont posted:

-----> https://www.nhl.com/oilers/schedule/2022-05-01/MT

Also I was at a robot competition last weekend, here are some clips. I'm The Abyss and The Wretched.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

GuavaMoment posted:

Also I was at a robot competition last weekend, here are some clips. I'm The Abyss and The Wretched.

OK, that one with the wretched was like watching robots do the black knight fight from the holy grail. A+ link, would click again

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

GuavaMoment posted:

The Wretched was impressive, but I laughed pretty hard at the Abyss.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hockey isn't real, Guava.

...also the Abyss was great.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

ulmont posted:

Not when guava's not around. But i mean i HAVE been playing a lot of it.

Actually finished it on stream tonight. I've got two videos up on youtube which is just me and Olesh talking about the classes and how to utilize them and their skills for a beginners guide thing. Chaos gate is very warhammer 40k xcom, and it's really good. The people that made it didn't have a big impressive resume and there are some parts that could use more polish but it was a very satisfying game that I will go back and beat on harder difficulties and continue to enjoy at least a few more times.

...and probably LP it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ulmont posted:

Hockey isn't real, Guava.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Jade Star posted:

...and probably LP it.

Looking forward to the Astartes Codex to Warhammer 40k Chaosgate.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
The Force Commander's Guide

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

There isn't a lot of time to get much done in this episode as a resistance haven comes under attack almost as soon as I begin recording. Fun new enemies await a totally normal Guava Moment and I as we set out in a rush to save as many resistance fighters as we can.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 26, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't think the civvies ran off because the crystalid egg doesn't count, I think each cell is tied to one pod "menacing" them and they move on after that pod died. The Crysalids weren't in that pod.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I've got a big secret to tell you about that video! I bet you couldn't even tell something was off!

Using lightning hands? Overdrive? I bet you thought Jade was the one playing didn't you?

He was, that's why when he used Bulwarked Materant as cover he got a ton of people psi-bombed. I wouldn't have done that, no siree.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
A totally normal episode with GuavaMoment, "Jake, fix your game" moment, and triggering a repeater

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The resistance NPCs were doing God's work that mission.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Late game they are rather terrifying as 6 damage against anything but the hardest armored targets is always decent. Also I always give skirmishers ap rounds as combined with the electro whip and their ability to shoot so often they can chew through most mechanical foes with ease.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Crysalids: the little hug puppies are so cute :kimchi:

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Could/would a Codex use a Psionic Bomb on civilians?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Anaxite posted:

Could/would a Codex use a Psionic Bomb on civilians?

Don't think I've ever seen this. It could be brutal to the player if the AI could wipe out a large group of civvies in one action. On the other hand the civvies could(but wouldn't I bet) just run away from it since it takes a turn to go off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've never seen Psionic Bomb used on civilians, templars, or people out of ammo.

It might be confirmation bias, but I think Codices are programmed to target people with ammo first and foremost for its ammo depletion effect. The explosion is a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Flair posted:

A totally normal episode with GuavaMoment, "Jake, fix your game" moment, and triggering a repeater

There was also a whip opportunity on one of the mechanicals that didn't happen. It's free damage!