Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

why drop it when you can award a multi-million dollar contract to revise it slightly and shave off half a pound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Regarde Aduck posted:

mmm? The L85 is only used by the British army and is still in service with no plans to replace it. Or is this some other L85?

My mistake then. I've heard that British troops don't like it, in part due to the weight, and that the UK was gravitating towards an M4 clone.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
future infantry folks gonna have a real gun show going on after packing around XM5s all day every day

Wheeee posted:

why drop it when you can award a multi-million dollar contract to revise it slightly and shave off half a pound

can't work on those broceps if you got a little girly rifle

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
*rifle explodes an account of case pressures at ~hand grenade levels in a receiver manufactured by the lowest bidder* whoops, no arms

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Wheeee posted:

Yeah, they give it a lighter receiver and it has the accuracy of a blunderbuss.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

The military isn't going to actually adopt it. It's going to be like the last 4 times they considered a new rifle, spent hundreds of millions to get companies to submit designs, then just go "guess we'll stick with the M4 for another decade :shrug:"

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Remember the OICW? A 5.56 rifle with a 10" barrel, so basically a 10/22. And also a magical grenade launcher that never worked. Just another waste of money.

Regardless the US military can't continue using the M16 because it is the official rifle of the Taliban so we need something new.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wheeee posted:

that's the basic all-brass cartridge stuff with considerably lower muzzle energy

the real poo poo is considerably more

actual military ammo isn't available to consumers at this time either so who knows how much that costs; the rifle itself is $8k for civilian purchase right now

mechanical watches have gotten better over time, and there's crazy poo poo like Seiko's spring drive

modern guns are lighter, more reliable, more accurate, have higher capacities, better ballistics, etc

That's a cool watch mechanism.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Supplying the Taliban with so much M16s that the black market price kept tanking for months.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why was so much stuff left behind? bribing the guys in charge of taking the m16s to the garbage compactor out back? too many weapons to ever destroy them all?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rutibex posted:

why was so much stuff left behind? bribing the guys in charge of taking the m16s to the garbage compactor out back? too many weapons to ever destroy them all?

it’s really hard to get things in and out of Afghanistan. getting containers and equipment in and out through Pakistan is rough.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s really hard to get things in and out of Afghanistan. getting containers and equipment in and out through Pakistan is rough.

oh I would never assume the us government would bother to actually take it out. but why wasn't it spitefully smashed into junk

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Rutibex posted:

Think of all the poo poo a person accumulates over the course of 20 years in a house and then extrapolate that across a warzone for an army of occupation

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

500excf type r posted:

Think of all the poo poo a person accumulates over the course of 20 years in a house and then extrapolate that across a warzone for an army of occupation

Ah yeah, and I also assume a lot of it was "owned" by the "afghan army"

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Pryor on Fire posted:

Remember the OICW? A 5.56 rifle with a 10" barrel, so basically a 10/22. And also a magical grenade launcher that never worked. Just another waste of money.

Regardless the US military can't continue using the M16 because it is the official rifle of the Taliban so we need something new.

Lol that super rifle is so old at this point I remember it showing up in 90s doom wads.

Any day now it was coming!

The Future of weaponry!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

in 2032 america will be fighting a proxy war against china using weapons purchased from china

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw, theoretically the Afghan Army was suppose to keep on fighting for a while, so I could see the US not actually wanting to destroy the stockpile. It just we didn’t expect them to last a couple weeks.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wheeee posted:

in 2032 america will be fighting a proxy war against china using weapons purchased from china

in real modern world war everybody would cease to be able to produce weapons if the ships got shut down

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

what makes the fury bullet so funny is that im pretty sure this is all in response to the taliban outshooting our colonial gendarmes with soviet surplus 7.62mm

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would imagine so, plus the Taliban starting to accrue surplus body armor (admittedlY most of it passed from the US to the Afghan government directly to the Taliban). Admittedly, it is also true at this point, pretty much most standing armies the US may face would have domestic body armor.

The issue is obviously what everyone says that everything about the project is impractical and it would be better to accept that 5.54 is going to have some compromises but it is still a very effective round.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

this evaporation of weapons stocks with an inability to replace them will probably be a characteristic of any peer war.

especially if international shipping is interrupted.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Wheeee posted:

with the bravery of cops in uvalde

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/imp_navigator/status/1530561588134027266

peep all those iranian drones

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
lol Iran is Mr House, hording robots in their underground bunker

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Rutibex posted:

lol Iran is Mr House, hording robots in their underground bunker

people ask me why i am allying with caesar's legion this play-through, i tell them i am role-playing as the USA, everyone groans and is tired of myt bullshit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

That's a cool watch mechanism.

they cost like 70x what my regular seiko does

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 15:48 on May 29, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus christ that is a large, powerful, expensive, complicated bullet

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What the heck is with the transparent mags on the sig Spear

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
maybe so you can see how much ammo you have left at a glance?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cerebral Bore posted:

maybe so you can see how much ammo you have left at a glance?

RGB mags

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

conspiracy theorists in twent years: release the alienware reports

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

i say swears online posted:

conspiracy theorists in twent years: release the alienware reports

LIQUID METAL DOESN'T MELT COPPER HEATPIPES

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Danann posted:

The new XM5 rifle apparently weighs 5kg fully loaded and is supposed to replace the in service m16/m4 rifles while being incompatible with the current service round (5.56mm). Someone at SIG won a contract for the history books dang.

Don’t worry, I’m sure they gave some to the Taliban so they can get some feedback from the end user.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think most countries around the world use plastic magazines nowadays, bullets feed more smoothly from them than metal ones and you get fewer failures. Transparent or windowed magazines are great because yeah you will lose track of how much you shot and you'll have multiple types of ammo to worry about.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
transparent guns will be a hit with Instagram baddies

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Has anyone tried these digital ammo counter like in the rifles in Aliens? Right down to it being placed in a useless position?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

big drones are making a splash in africa
https://twitter.com/DefenseNigeria/status/1529822847891189761

quote:

Africa's Game of Thrones.

We are in the Golden Age of Drone Warfare in Africa and these six countries are currently leading the pack.

It should be noted that in today's global market economy, any country with the financial resources can acquire armed attack drones.

The reason these six countries lead the pack in the use of attack drones in Africa today is because of their security imperatives. Ongoing conflicts plays a major part in the decisions of these counties to acquire drones and use them for strategic purposes.

Egypt has by far the largest, most powerful drone fleet in Africa qualitatively and quantitatively. The Egyptians field more attack drones than the rest of Africa combined. The list includes

CASC Rainbow CH-5
CASC Rainbow CH-3A
CASC Rainbow CH-3B
CAIG Wing Loong II
CAIG CH-4B

Algeria takes the number two spot with a fleet that consists of:

CASC Rainbow CH-5
CASC Rainbow CH-3A and CH-3B
CAIG Wing Loong II
CAIG CH- 4B

Nigeria comes in at number three, with the distinction of having the first and only dedicated attack drone squadron in Africa, the NAF 203 Combat Reconnaissance Group in Gombe.

Wary of Western sabotage Nigeria operated its attack drones from the shadows, in complete secrecy.

This cover was blown when in January 2015, a photo that showed a Chinese made CH-3A drone that crash landed upside down with two AR-1 missiles attached to its wingtip pylons appeared online.

Nigeria has the 3rd largest and most lethal fleet of armed attack drones in Africa. A fleet that consists of :

CASC Rainbow CH-3A
CASC Rainbow CH-3B
CAIG Wing Loong II
CASC CH-4

Ethiopia takes the number 4 spot in Africa. Like Nigeria, Ethiopia acquired and operated a number of Turkish Bayraktar drones from the shadows, until a December 2021 photo that showed a TB2 drone at a hanger at the centre of an Ethiopian airbase appeared.

Hardly had the furor died down when another satellite imagery showed the presence of Wing Loong and Iranian Mohajer-6 drones at Semera airfield in Ethiopia. Based on this information we can conjecture that Ethiopia fields the TB2, Wing Loong I and Iranian made Mohajer-6 drones.

Morocco takes the 5 spot. In a bid to modernize and prepare prepare for any eventuality, Morocco signed a $70 million contract for 13 Bayraktar TB2 drones from Turkey in April 2021. Five months later in September Morocco took delivery of the first batch of Bayraktar drones.

The Republic of Niger is the newest entrant in the club of African countries with armed attack drones, with the recent delivery of aquired 6 Bayrakta drones. A drone base is being constructed in the Tahoua region to house these drones.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

countdown to American troops being killed by drone strikes

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/iwanttospyonyou/status/1532125767940947968

lmao what can't a toyota and some elbow grease not do besides being armored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU