Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
gently caress the police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

T-Square posted:

My dad’s a pretty straight laced conservative person but whenever we were on the road for races and Robot Chicken was on late at night in the hotel, he’d absolutely lose his poo poo every time, he loved that poo poo.

Long before Robot Chicken was a thing, but my dad has the best story about his dad. My grandfather was an Intellectual, one of those guys who spoke like 10 languages fluently and was a real smug rear end in a top hat about how smart he was. He and my dad didn't get along, probably because my dad is dumb and was a disappointment, but who knows. Anyway, the story is that the one time they did get along, they got high together and my grandfather lost his everloving poo poo at Hee Haw. Like thought it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen. Laughing his rear end off. Sober, that was beneath him. After smoking a joint with his hippie son, super funny.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Hot Diggity! posted:

loving incredible after three days of lying to the public the best new lie that they could come up with was "we thought all the kids were dead."

Hey! That isn’t all they did!

They also blamed a teacher for leaving a door propped!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
gently caress it let’s run with this

https://twitter.com/bobjustfkinbob/status/1530237422793117696?s=21

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
It's pretty cool that the best excuse they could come up with was that they thought he was done slaughtering the kids and was just hanging out

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Reading that summary of the cops complete inaction just makes me sick. Bunch of loving cowards all of them. Fire them all (into the sun)

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Bird in a Blender posted:

Reading that summary of the cops complete inaction just makes me sick. Bunch of loving cowards all of them. Fire them all (into the sun)

use one cop as a pinata and the other cops as pinata sticks

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
The Uvalde police wouldn't even let the tactical team that ended up finally killing the dude in the school. It's amazing how they objectively made everything so much worse.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Trials and jail time for these cops

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Silly Burrito posted:

Fire them all. What’s the worst that could happen?

We get to hate on police unions again when those firings are overturned probably. And/or they just get hired somewhere else.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

As I understand it we have a supreme court ruling that there's no actual need for or rule that says police need to put themselves in danger in any fashion for public safety. A Scalia joint I think it was.

e: things are really goddamned bad before you even get into qualified immunity.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

Really, seeing this just has my brain screaming to just kill them, kill those loving cowards over and over again. I'm just gonna go take something to disassociate for the weekend, because jesus loving christ this pathetic country. Spending everything we have funding a warrior caste that can't even loving fight.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/27/us/texas-school-shooting

quote:

The authorities now say that local officers first entered the school at 11:35, two minutes after the gunman, and that there were 19 officers in the hallway by 12:03 p.m., but that they did not breach the door and kill the gunman until 12:50, even as they continued to hear him firing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Spoeank posted:

It's pretty cool that the best excuse they could come up with was that they thought he was done slaughtering the kids and was just hanging out

*another gunshot*

“Okay THIS time all the kids are dead”

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The story keeps changing and it keeps getting worse and worse. Holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/DuddingChris/status/1530233969429598208?s=20&t=v997f115ShEsqlTc68_c6w

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Basically, neither the constitution nor federal law imposes a legally-binding duty on law enforcement officers to act to help another individual. They do have a legal duty to act to protect the public.
https://www.police1.com/police-jobs-and-careers/articles/addressing-cops-confusion-over-the-public-duty-doctrine-SDnVxWnDhgenqAXO/

The supreme court (in an opinion written by Scalia, of course) has muddied rather than clarified this principle in this ruling: https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html in which they determined that despite a Colorado law changing restraining orders to explicitly state police must arrest violators, the police do not actually have to follow that order and arrest violators because they have no individual duty to act, period.

I'm not a lawyer but I feel like this would be easy to fix by passing a federal law requiring officers to act. Yes, there are gray areas where officers have to have some discretion - acting to save an individual in such a way as to flagrantly endanger the public, such as by firing at a suspect in a crowd, should not be required by law. But creating a simple duty to act would at least allow courts to examine the facts of a case and decide if an officer did or didn't have a duty to act in particular cases where they had to strike a balance between protecting an individual and protecting the public.

It's also obvious that officers are not held accountable for failure to protect the public, too. Merely having laws doesn't mean they'll be enforced, and cops get away with literal murder, which is obviously illegal. So all of the above is basically rearranging deck chairs while we live in a system that refuses to hold police accountable for anything, ever, the law be damned.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
They just stood outside for 40 minutes listening to gunshots and screams? That almost defies rational behavior

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

They just stood outside for 40 minutes listening to gunshots and screams? That almost defies rational behavior

It's perfectly rational behavior if your overriding interest is self-preservation.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pron on VHS posted:

No, some were busy holding parents back from doing anything apparently.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
In some ways it doesn't matter what happens to the cops.
They have to live the rest of their lives being haunted by the screams of children echoing in their minds forever.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

pasaluki posted:

They have to live the rest of their lives being haunted by the screams of children echoing in their minds forever.

So do the parents because those same cops saved their own asses instead of saving the kids.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pasaluki posted:

Consequences for these cops are required, so that all the other cops will be marginally more likely to do what they're supposed to in the future.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So they had him holed up in that one classroom?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

General Dog posted:

New stuff seems to be that a cop responds to a call about him while he's outside, and just drives right past him, he eventually picks a classroom, blows away the teacher and sprays that class, then walks to the next classroom and starts spraying that one up then sits around listening to the cure while occasionally blasting into the pile of bodies whenever he gets bored as he watches them bleed out for 40 minutes.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
To protect themselves and serve themselves

Might as well make policing like jury duty or countries with 1-2 years of mandatory military service, because the people that want to be cops should absolutely not be cops. Everyone does their 2 years as a cop and goes back to normal life. Also complete federal oversight of every police/sheriff jurisdiction.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 27, 2022

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Leperflesh posted:

Basically, neither the constitution nor federal law imposes a legally-binding duty on law enforcement officers to act to help another individual. They do have a legal duty to act to protect the public.
https://www.police1.com/police-jobs-and-careers/articles/addressing-cops-confusion-over-the-public-duty-doctrine-SDnVxWnDhgenqAXO/

The supreme court (in an opinion written by Scalia, of course) has muddied rather than clarified this principle in this ruling: https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html in which they determined that despite a Colorado law changing restraining orders to explicitly state police must arrest violators, the police do not actually have to follow that order and arrest violators because they have no individual duty to act, period.

Important to note, in that supreme court case (Castle Rock v. Gonzalez 2005) the question before the court was are the cops in any way accountable for the deaths of three children that directly resulted from their ignoring multiple requests to enforce a restraining order over a 36 hour period. She gave them her children and the kidnapper's location, an amusement park, and they told her to hold tight and call back at 10 pm. When she did they said call back at midnight. He was an abusive husband so I guess the cops were naturally sympathetic and wanted to give the guy a chance. Few hours later the kidnapper showed up at the police station with three dead kids in his car. Though the kidnapper died in a hail of bullets after shooting at the police station so maybe the cops shot the kids too.

Anyway in a 7-2 decision the cops were found not liable.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

General Dog posted:

With just a locked door. A school janitor had to let them in to get him.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Pron on VHS posted:

Bare minimum, I hope. What absolute cowards

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

pasaluki posted:

Do you actually believe they care about that? They won’t be haunted by this at all. They don’t care about others.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The "I got called nasty names after limiting a school shooting to only 21 deaths" resentment is going to fuel these poo poo heads for the rest of their lives.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Do you actually believe they care about that? They won’t be haunted by this at all. They don’t care about others.

They don't care about others, but they care about their reputation and being thought of as cowards.

I think they will end up being fazed by this but I guess we will have to see.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Bare minimum, I hope. What absolute cowards

At first I thought you meant you were hoping for the bare minimum of sentences/jail time, and was real confused

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I guess we should've all seen the naked cowardice coming after the 500th panic attack after being within a football field of something that might be fentanyl.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Silly Burrito posted:

No, some were busy holding parents back from doing anything apparently.

Absolutely everything here is atrocious, but this bugs me the most. They're covering their rear end here because if they let the parents run in and the parents get shot they might be blamed is the only thought process I can come up with here. I suppose controlling the area if you want to be super nice but come on, no. Y'all weren't controlling poo poo other than a parking lot.

As if the children, who are busy being terrified, dying or being dead already, are not the problem.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Well if video games are your chosen distraction from doomscrolling and righteous anger directed at the police, the Bioshock collection is free on Epic now (1 remaster + 2 remaster + infinite).

At about noon yesterday I decided to take today off, so we went to see Dr. Strange and are now getting ready to go sit outside at a brewery on the one beautiful day we're forecasted for to have this weekend.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Cops only protect cops

https://twitter.com/CBSDFW/status/1530222513887883265?t=QiboHI-ikA67baamGCIWDA&s=19

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

The cops need extra cops to protect them from the families of the children they let be massacred.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The fact none of the cops involved has committed suicide out of guilt and shame really shows how loving soulless they are.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Skwirl posted:

The fact none of the cops involved has committed suicide out of guilt and shame really shows how loving soulless they are.

These emotions are far too complex for the average cop.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

That’s not shocking considering half of that loving city is probably itching to burn their precinct to the ground, I know I would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Guze posted:

The cops need extra cops to protect them from the families of the children they let be massacred.

Incroyable