Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

For reasons beyond my understanding, after I swapped in my new motherboard, CPU, and RAM, my existing installation of Windows (I brought over the SSD, PSU, and GPU) booted right up and recognized itself as the old machine. We have achieved a full Ship of Theseus situation here. Every single piece except the SSD has been upgraded since the time of install, and yet Windows still feels this is the same system. It even seems to have changed out all the appropriate drivers for each piece of new tech, because it's running smooth as butter.

I kind of love this, but I doubt it's optimal. Am I good to continue as is, or should I nuke my poo poo and clean install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
whatever triggers the esoteric "this OEM key has too many components" seems super variable it hasn't probably procced for me over two mobos, three chips and three GPUs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I had to reenter my key when I got a replacement motherboard, a week after activating my windows copy.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I cursed myself. It procced the "hey now this hardware has changed, activation invalidated!" message immediately after I posted this. But when I ran the troubleshooter there was an easy option to tell it this was the same system, and it accepted that without question. So I'm still going to count this as a win and a continuation of the streak.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

DagPenge posted:

Its finally time for me to get a new PC and I really want to try 4k 144hz gaming. I've been looking Gigabyte M28U screens, since they seemed to be recommended in the monitor thread.

I live in Denmark and mostly play grand strategy games and older titles, so no reason to get anything extremely powerful. I also run Ubuntu, so AMD is supposed to best for drivers. So I would be very happy for some recommendations for CPU, motherboard and graphics cards, since I should be able to figure out the rest I think.

Any advise is welcome
4K/144hz is not going to really improve your grand strategy game experience. I would consider if it will be worth the cost.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

DagPenge posted:

Its finally time for me to get a new PC and I really want to try 4k 144hz gaming. I've been looking Gigabyte M28U screens, since they seemed to be recommended in the monitor thread.

I live in Denmark and mostly play grand strategy games and older titles, so no reason to get anything extremely powerful. I also run Ubuntu, so AMD is supposed to best for drivers. So I would be very happy for some recommendations for CPU, motherboard and graphics cards, since I should be able to figure out the rest I think.

Any advise is welcome

I think a lot of the answer depends on exactly which grand strategy games will be in scope. You might be able to get Total War: Napoleon to run 4k/144fps on relatively modest hardware since it is old, but for modern games I think 4k/144fps is hard to reach without getting into "extremely powerful" territory. The "recommended" video cards on the pages of newer games aren't exactly laughable, and they might be targeting 1080p/60fps.

Are you already hitting 1080p or 1440p with 144fps in the games you want to play? If you are, what hardware is getting you there?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You can basically forget about actually reaching a sustained 4K 144fps in everything but old or graphically simple games. That's not to say you shouldn't get a 144Hz 4K monitor, but that's not currently an achievable goal in most modern games, no matter how powerful your hardware is. As of now, the rule of thumb if you want good 4K performance is get at least a decent midrange CPU (e.g. the 12600K) and then get as much GPU as you can afford as there is no such thing as an overkill GPU when it comes to 4K. That said, if you plan on sticking to older games and grand strategy, you can compromise a bit on the GPU, though it's hard to say what GPU you'll really need without knowing the exact games you're playing. TW Warhammer III requires a top-end GPU to run smoothly at 4K, while Europa Universalis IV I have no idea about (nobody benchmarks that game), but you can probably use a midrange GPU.

I guess something like a 6750 XT would be able to run 4X games like Civ 6 or Humankind (which is more demanding) reasonably, though something like TWW3 would get messy (does that game still scale horribly when reducing settings?)

I haven't seen any solid benchmarks specifically targeting strategy games, but the current talk is that the 5800X3D is the best CPU you can buy for sims and strategy games, though it's rather pricey at $450 USD. I think a 12600K with a solid B660 motherboard would be more than good enough.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 25, 2022

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

CoolCab posted:

ddr4 and 5 boards are non compatible, the ram physically has different pins. you will need to make the choice now, and hypothetically if you wanted to update down the road to 14th or later you'd need to be updating your motherboard anyway, that's why imo ddr4 is still better value.

CoolCab posted:

i think we expect 13th gen to use the same socket and 14th to hypothetically change to next socket, intel typically supports boards for twoish generations. but idk if that's confirmed or what have you. more pressingly you probably should not expect to upgrade so quickly imo.

Okay, I won't bother thinking about DDR5.

With that second part, do you mean that I shouldn't buy a new CPU and mobo with the thought that I'll get another new CPU from the next generation? I suppose I'm jumping from a 7th gen CPU I bought in 2015 to a 12th gen chip seven years later. If I get anything like that longevity out of what I'm getting now I'll obviously need a new board then, too.

I'm just having a really hard time settling on a mobo + CPU combo. Anything I get is going to be such a huge leap from what I have now it seems like I should just go with a 12400 and a B660 board, but on the other hand I feel like I should get the most out of my once-every-seven-years complete rebuild.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's always something new right around the corner that you'll regret you didn't wait a month for, you just gotta decide when it's time to do it and commit. If you get a mid-high level system at the time you buy you should have no trouble getting five years out of it, at which point new CPUs will be a different socket so you'll need to change boards. Also DDR5 will probably be standard by then anyway, who knows what else.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Unsinkabear posted:

I kind of love this, but I doubt it's optimal. Am I good to continue as is, or should I nuke my poo poo and clean install?
It's been possible to get away with this since WinXP thanks to the NT HAL, but it's definitely gotten better / easier with each release since. I still recommend flushing out and starting with a new OS install because old drivers can hang around in weird bits, but if it's working for you, then....?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
If you want to clear out old device drivers from the previous install, do this: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/show-non-present-devices-windows. In devmgmt.msc set it to show hidden devices and remove non-present CPUs, NICs, what have you. For the GPU drivers you might want to use DDU and reinstall those, but I guess if it's not causing you any problems then maybe not.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I really hate that the RGB edition of the Torrent Compact only comes in black.

Now that I have my Lancool 215 set up and in position, I have come to the uncomfortable realization that while it does exactly what I wanted in terms of balancing size, performance, and silence, it doesn't quite suit my aesthetic. Sometimes that's hard to gauge from online product photos, I guess. On top of that, I'm a little resentful that its price had inflated from its original MSRP of $70 to $110 at my time of purchase, while the Torrent Compact is still $150.

I considered swapping it out for a white Torrent, but since there is no RGB version, to get something equivalent I would have to replace the front fans ($70 for a two-pack of the RGB version!), and then just... waste the ones it came with, because they won't fit in the bottom of the case if you have an ATX mobo. At that point it costs $220 plus the cost of another Arctic P14 in the bottom (I have one currently), and that is just way too much to pay in exchange for a more mature look and a somewhat better layout for blowing air on the GPU.

Give me the +$10 RGB edition in white, you cowards.

e: spelling

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 26, 2022

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Can someone please have a quick check of the following PC I'm thinking of getting? Mainly if there's any glaring incompatibility problems, or if I can skimp by getting something slightly cheaper (or if there's something I should really think about dropping a bit more money on, though budget is pretty tight as is).

Case: Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid-Tower
Processor (CPU): AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.4GHz 16MB Cache)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-K (mATX DDR4 AM4 USB 3.2)
Memory (RAM): Corsair 16GB Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 (2x8GB)
Graphics Card: MSI RADEON RX 6700 XT Gaming X - 3 DP 1 HDMI
SSD (NVME) Storage: Samsung 980 PRO V-NAND M.2 500GB SSD (Up to 6900MB/sR | 5000MB/sW)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W TX750M Semi Modular 80 Plus GOLD PSU
CPU Cooler: be quiet Pure Rock Slim CPU Cooler

Price is just under £1300. I get get an MSI 3070 VENTUS 2X OC instead for about £20 is this is significantly better? Also unsure whether I should get 3600MHZ RAM instead of 3200?

PCPartsPicker is telling me that the motherboard might not support the CPU out of the box and I may need to perform a BIOS upgrade, presumably this is easy enough? Also it's telling me I need some USB header adapters?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
config doesn't make a ton of sense, no. try a 5600 or 5600x, the G gives up quite a bit of performance for the iGPU which you don't need.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
1300 seems like a lot for a 3070 config (go for the 3070 imo if the price difference is that slight) but you're spending a ton on the case. how much are you spending on the PSU? contrasted with something like this

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/thermaltake-toughpower-gf-850w-gold-certified-modular-psu-at-ps5999-using-online-code-at-awd-it-3929377

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

oh no computer posted:

Can someone please have a quick check of the following PC I'm thinking of getting? Mainly if there's any glaring incompatibility problems, or if I can skimp by getting something slightly cheaper (or if there's something I should really think about dropping a bit more money on, though budget is pretty tight as is).

Case: Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid-Tower
Processor (CPU): AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.4GHz 16MB Cache)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-K (mATX DDR4 AM4 USB 3.2)
Memory (RAM): Corsair 16GB Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 (2x8GB)
Graphics Card: MSI RADEON RX 6700 XT Gaming X - 3 DP 1 HDMI
SSD (NVME) Storage: Samsung 980 PRO V-NAND M.2 500GB SSD (Up to 6900MB/sR | 5000MB/sW)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W TX750M Semi Modular 80 Plus GOLD PSU
CPU Cooler: be quiet Pure Rock Slim CPU Cooler

Price is just under £1300. I get get an MSI 3070 VENTUS 2X OC instead for about £20 is this is significantly better? Also unsure whether I should get 3600MHZ RAM instead of 3200?

PCPartsPicker is telling me that the motherboard might not support the CPU out of the box and I may need to perform a BIOS upgrade, presumably this is easy enough? Also it's telling me I need some USB header adapters?

Try looking for a 5600 non-X/G instead of the 5600G. In america, they cost about the same, but the 5600 is a decently faster CPU.

The 980 Pro is heavy overkill and not worth the money, especially when your budget is slim. You can get a 1TB SN570 for less than that 500GB 980 Pro, and I promise you won't notice a difference when it comes to boot times or application/game load times.

The Asus Prime B550M-K seems like a really cheap board in a bad way. I would recommend something like the MSI B550M Pro-VDH which at least has better cooling on the VRM, or maybe even better, the Asus Prime B550-Plus, which looks like it's on sale currently. That one is full ATX, has a bit more USB connectivity, and looks cheaper than the K model, according to PCPartPicker UK.

The memory speed doesn't really matter too much, maybe a couple percent difference at most. If you get 3600, make sure it's CL16. There will be basically no difference between those GPUs, either.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 26, 2022

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I'm looking at a prebuilt from AlphaSync, so options are limited. My understanding was you had to get prebuilt since GPUs are otherwise impossible to get, or is that no longer the case?

The closest options to the 5600G are a 3600 (which makes it about £90 cheaper) or a 5800X (which makes it about £200 more expensive). The alternative is going down the Intel route, I can use the same components are before but with a i5-10600K CPU and a Asus PRIME Z690-P D4 Motherboard (which works out at about £70 more). Unless there are better value prebuilt PCs about?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

oh no computer posted:

I'm looking at a prebuilt from AlphaSync, so options are limited. My understanding was you had to get prebuilt since GPUs are otherwise impossible to get, or is that no longer the case?

The closest options to the 5600G are a 3600 (which makes it about £90 cheaper) or a 5800X (which makes it about £200 more expensive). The alternative is going down the Intel route, I can use the same components are before but with a i5-10600K CPU and a Asus PRIME Z690-P D4 Motherboard (which works out at about £70 more). Unless there are better value prebuilt PCs about?

Oh, that's definitely not the case anymore. GPUs aren't exactly at their cheapest right now, but they are available. (we should probably get the thread title updated, huh?)

I don't know how much the prebuilt you're looking at costs, but I put together a PCPartPicker list using the parts you listed with my recommended modifications: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NZGKqm

edit: I really should've read your whole post instead of zeroing in on the parts list haha (so building it yourself would save 220 pounds). As for your other question, the 3070 would've been worth the 20 pound extra, absolutely. Though the 6700 isn't a bad card, either.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 26, 2022

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The case is also crap. You can get a Corsair 4000d Airflow for cheaper

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The case is okay, and I figure if someone wants RGB, it's a relatively cheap way to get that. The 4000D airflow will give you lower temperatures for less money, though.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I have an expanding family and need to move my recording space out to my detached garage to clear a room for a kid. I don't know which thread to ask this question in, so please tell me where to go if not here: Is there a router extender or booster that actually works well enough to bother with? In this case it'd need to get a signal out to a garage though about 35-50 feet which is mostly comprised of someone else's part of the duplex.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

OK thanks all. How about:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
GFX: MSI Mech Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
PSU: CORSAIR RM RM750 750 W ATX 80 PLUS GOLD
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4, NVMe v1.4
CPU Cooler be quiet! Shadow Rock 3 White

£1108. Or about £100 more for a 3070.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
Thank you all for you help, when I say grand strategy I mostly mean Paradox titles like Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron and the like. Other games I enjoy are Battletech, Terraria and Starsector.

I think 144 fps should be doable in most of them, but one poster did say that I might not be gaining much, so maybe its better to save the money for now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I honestly have no idea why you'd care about extreme framerates in a map game. Big waste of money.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Do we have any information on how the Lancool II Mesh performs with a 3 x 120mm fan configuration instead of the stock 2 x 140mm?

E: asking because the only white version of it is 3 x 120mm RGB, and all of the testing from places like GN is for the 2 x 140 "performance" version. Going by those numbers, slapping an 120mm on the shroud mount of the Lancool II Mesh would give it a decent performance bump over the 215 in both cpu and gpu thermals, at the expense of it making more noise. But I'm worried that a 120mm setup would both increase the noise and lower the thermal gain.

Nevermind, gently caress all that. I love how insanely quiet the 215 + Fuma 2 + 3070 FE combo is for the money, and just discovered that the 215 looks pretty drat clean next to my the desk when the LEDs are off. Gonna save a buck and do what I originally intended: just flip those big glowing discs on and off at will using the mobo software, depending on whether it's pro time or play time). :pcgaming:

Lian Li makes good stuff, y'all.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 26, 2022

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

DagPenge posted:

Thank you all for you help, when I say grand strategy I mostly mean Paradox titles like Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron and the like. Other games I enjoy are Battletech, Terraria and Starsector.

I think 144 fps should be doable in most of them, but one poster did say that I might not be gaining much, so maybe its better to save the money for now.

I've been playing Stellaris quite a bit on a 1440p 144mhz monitor and I literally cannot tell the difference between that and a 1080p 60mhz i used to play on (other than a sharper picture of course).

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Can someone recommend an air cooler for a 12700k? Budget is around $50-$70.

Also I need 32gb ram.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Scythe Fuma 2 rev B?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Unsinkabear posted:

Do we have any information on how the Lancool II Mesh performs with a 3 x 120mm fan configuration instead of the stock 2 x 140mm?

E: asking because the only white version of it is 3 x 120mm RGB, and all of the testing from places like GN is for the 2 x 140 "performance" version. Going by those numbers, slapping an 120mm on the shroud mount of the Lancool II Mesh would give it a decent performance bump over the 215 in both cpu and gpu thermals, at the expense of it making more noise. But I'm worried that a 120mm setup would both increase the noise and lower the thermal gain.

I don't think there's that much difference between the two version of the II Meshes. And fwiw, the 3x120s are really quite quiet.

err posted:

Can someone recommend an air cooler for a 12700k? Budget is around $50-$70.

Also I need 32gb ram.

You'll have to ask DVG31 to confirm it's appropriate for the CPU, but the DeepCool AK620 is $10 off atm. e:oops, that sale just ended.

Some of Thermalright's stuff is on sale, but apparently those don't always come with the lga 1700 bracket, despite what it says on the listing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You do not need to ask me lol. Any good dual-tower cooler will probably do for the 12700K, and that includes the AK620. With DeepCool's coolers, keep in mind that you may have to go through their support and request an LGA1700 bracket after your purchase because apparently there's still some pre-12th-gen stock floating around in retail channels. The Fuma 2 Rev.B is guaranteed to be LGA1700 compatible out of the box.

edit: as for the memory, search on PCPartPicker for 2x16, >3600MHz, and <CL16, sort by cheapest, pick the first reputable brand. (corsair, g.skill, team, and crucial usually)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 27, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I don't think there's that much difference between the two version of the II Meshes. And fwiw, the 3x120s are really quite quiet.

Interesting, ty for the follow up. I don't suppose there's any chance someone has had up close and personal noise experience with both the 3x120 II Mesh and the 215?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
this is a point I have made before but 1) you should not expect to hit your monitors refresh rate in every title and 2) literally no one should expect that, throw an arbitrary quantity of GPU at the problem throw a 3090ti at it whatever there are titles that with stupid settings will struggle to push 1080/60, I remember at launch cyberpunk setting RT to psycho maxed you would barely clear 60 with a 3090.

you want high FPS for twitchy action games, as much for the improved input latency as much as anything else. in my opinion if it's competitive you probably are going to be turning a ton of poo poo down anyway frankly. for cinematic titles I like about 90 but 60 is fine and even lower for turn based stuff is fine. imo the figure that is most important here is the VRR (variable refresh rate, G or Freesync) range. target your frame rate to be stable within that range and you will have a good experience generally, more for FPSes.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
So I've got a bit of a weird scenario, hoping some others can weight in on my options:

I'm moving to Sweden from the US in September, and I was considering building a new machine before I moved (largely to avoid a hefty VAT bill, at least that's how I understand their taxes). My question: considering the imminent release of the new AMD processors, is this a particularly bad time to do a new build? It seems so to me, but am I misreading the news regarding the performance jump on the new AMD processors?

I would be keeping my 2080 for ever and ever, because I don't hate myself enough to try and get a graphics card for MSRP.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Dreissi posted:

My question: considering the imminent release of the new AMD processors, is this a particularly bad time to do a new build? It seems so to me, but am I misreading the news regarding the performance jump on the new AMD processors?

No to your first question, yes to your second. They'll be good, of course, but we thankfully look to back in a situation where Intel and AMD are pushing each other to innovate and as a result are trading punches with new generations each making decent improvements on the last, so there's always going to be something better around the corner and if you wait for it you'll never buy anything.

As ever the answer is buy whatever's best value whenever you have the pressing need for it. That said, if the rest of the build is as recent as the 2080 then I don't think your need is that urgent that it makes sense to rush to build now and then lug a PC over the Atlantic.

I assume you won't be destitute in Sweden and you'll be able to afford to upgrade there in another generation's time after you've settled in.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 27, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm cross posting from the NAS / Storage thread because this thread gets more traffic and there's a lot of knowledgable people here. What can you tell me about SATA disks on SAS expanders?

Twerk from Home posted:

What experiences have you had with SATA disks on SAS expanders? I've had a couple of really bad experiences with SATA disks on SAS expanders both at work and at home over the years. Disks falling out of hardware RAID arrays, SATA disks throwing regular I/O errors at a higher rate when used with software defined storage, the whole array going non-responsive and blocking mysteriously and not doing that after the SATA disks were removed and only SAS disks were in place.

The thing is, I've gotten explicit confirmation from hardware vendors and also software tools that SATA disks on SAS expanders are supported, but I'm twice burned now and basically ready to just always pay the small cost premium for SAS disks forever going forward. Can I get a sanity check?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I ran a bunch of drives off an m1015 SAS HBA through an ebay-special HP expander for years without any issues.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Dreissi posted:

I would be keeping my 2080 for ever and ever, because I don't hate myself enough to try and get a graphics card for MSRP.

I loved myself enough to do it :colbert: You just gotta believe man

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Butterfly Valley posted:

No to your first question, yes to your second. They'll be good, of course, but we thankfully look to back in a situation where Intel and AMD are pushing each other to innovate and as a result are trading punches with new generations each making decent improvements on the last, so there's always going to be something better around the corner and if you wait for it you'll never buy anything.

As ever the answer is buy whatever's best value whenever you have the pressing need for it. That said, if the rest of the build is as recent as the 2080 then I don't think your need is that urgent that it makes sense to rush to build now and then lug a PC over the Atlantic.

I assume you won't be destitute in Sweden and you'll be able to afford to upgrade there in another generation's time after you've settled in.

I think this is fair. To be sure, I did the *shudder* work of pricing out systems here versus Sweden. At worst it'll be a few hundred bucks on a 1100 dollar system. And I could shave a decent chunk from that buying a video card when I visit my family next year. Maybe Mr. Bitcoin will have committed suicide and I can get a 4000 series.

Agreed posted:

I loved myself enough to do it :colbert: You just gotta believe man

Na I'm just gonna cruise by until my 2080 explodes and I'm totally hosed!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't do these posts as much anymore now that GPUs are in stock, but for those who live near a micro center and are more inclined to buy a prebuilt than build your own, $900 for this Micro Center-branded prebuilt is pretty good: https://www.microcenter.com/product/646648/powerspec-g230-gaming-pc

You get a 12400F, an RX 6600, and 16GB of dual channel memory (dual channel in a cheap prebuilt! crazy). It's actually pretty price competitive with going the DIY route. The memory isn't particularly fast at DDR4-2666, but it's probably not going to hold you back much. It also comes with just the intel stock cooler, and it has a narrow chassis which means you can't fit 120mm tower coolers in there. You'll have to go with a 92mm tower cooler or a low-profile downdraft cooler if you want to quiet the system down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Apologies for the vague question. I'm in the market to replace my computer and find building my own (irrationally) stressful. What retailers would y'all suggest as good/reputable for a pre-built?