Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Thanks for the Nordic Ware suggestion - apparently we do have it here, the vast majority of it seems to be very fancy cake pans but it looks like they do what I'm after too.

Edit: though they do mostly say hand wash only...

do you have restaurant supply stores? ours in the us, at least the online ones, will ship to the public and you can get a stack of heavy duty wincos for what amazon charges for a pair of nordicware pans, plus they don’t have that infuriating raised letter branding. it’s a whole new world for sheet pans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Anne Whateley posted:

Mine is the Serious Eats one that has 2 c cream, 1 c whole milk, 3/4 c sugar. And no cream cheese! I've tinkered the fat ratio down, but I think it's still more than yours. I'm not 100% on what cream cheese would do physically, though. Although I'm sure that using whipped when it calls for brick, or vice versa, would gently caress it up. Want to experiment with the SE base and see if that's icy? My notes are handwritten, stupidly, but I can post my ratios when I get back in a week or so.
Cream cheese seems to be what the Ninja recipes prefer to use as a stabilizer instead of e.g. egg yolk. I assume to avoid freaking out the people that would worry about raw eggs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Would raw egg also lack some structural/textural properties that cooked egg base would have?

Cause if so blood ice cream would also be out

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
...also will concur that the All Clad "Seconds" are nearly perfect. Maybe a tiny smudge on a lid or a scratch on the bottom of a pan is all I've seen.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Would raw egg also lack some structural/textural properties that cooked egg base would have?

Having done no experimentation, my guess would be that it depends on whether your doing a full-on custard type thing or not. In most ice cream recipes that use raw egg yolks most of what you're going to get is (I assume) coming from the lecithin, and that's not going to change much regardless of whether or not you're heating the base first. But if you're heating it enough that the egg proteins are coagulating (like when you do custard) then you're clearly not going to get that out of raw yolks.

There are other effects--changing the amount of fat, changing the freezing point of the mixture, and so on. But in terms of the stabilizing (and emulsifying) effect of raw egg yolk in most ice cream recipes I think it's mostly just the lecithin.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnRzrEun3Tc

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Does anyone have a recommendation for a long slot toaster? My 16 year old kitchen aid one is dying and the reviews of all the ones I’ve read indicate they would not have a similar lifespan.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I have a small rechargeable clip fan that does the same exact thing. Cost $15 I think? The clip lets me move it around my cabinets to both stay out of the way and accelerate cooling of foods that I meal prep. Hood filters have largely been more trouble than they're worth in my experience. Then again I've never had a proper hood venting to the exterior before.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

um excuse me posted:

I have a small rechargeable clip fan that does the same exact thing. Cost $15 I think? The clip lets me move it around my cabinets to both stay out of the way and accelerate cooling of foods that I meal prep. Hood filters have largely been more trouble than they're worth in my experience. Then again I've never had a proper hood venting to the exterior before.

Vents to exterior are so much better. With your fan, you’re just throwing the air somewhere else, along with all particulates of grease/etc.

This thing seems interesting but it’s not really solving any problem-you could put an air cleaner in your kitchen and do the same thing. It’s interesting that it says everything is washable, but that’s it. When it draws all that air in, it will filter it, but any smoke is going to go right out the back.

That’s why an exterior vent hood is better. It just throws everything outside. I’m buying a house which doesn’t have one but it’s the top thing to get done asap after having rented some houses with them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

um excuse me posted:

This at least tries to filter particulates and oil, which I’m assuming you fan won’t do. But it’s essentially still just a recirculating vent hood and those suck to begin with.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Calling it now...that vent is absolutely...

Vaporware

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Steve Yun posted:

I tried out the unheated egg yolks method outlined in the reddit post I linked a few days back and I agree with its conclusion that it's functionally indistinguishable.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made a 4/1/1 anglaise last night and put it in the freezer. Gonna run it through the creami tonight and see how it goes. Will report back.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Can anyone recommend a nice set of gloves for the grill? Looking to be able to get in a grill and grab heated up grill grates, cast iron, etc.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

barkbell posted:

Can anyone recommend a nice set of gloves for the grill? Looking to be able to get in a grill and grab heated up grill grates, cast iron, etc.

i use these ones https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MRQAJG/

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

80% done with OP of the ice cream thread, dad duties and workdays make it slow going. Thanks for the patience and sorry I called dibs then took forever!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For anyone wondering (and I’ll repost this in the ice cream thread, the frozen custard was really interesting. I used 12 ounces of heavy cream, 3 ounces of egg yolks and 3 ounces of sugar. Plus a teaspoon of vanilla and a pinch of salt.

The creamified result was really interesting. For one, it was insanely smooth. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a frozen treat with a texture this smooth. It was also very rich, probably too rich. I think it would be good as part of a bigger dessert, but as a stand-alone treat it may be too much. The egg content may be too high, and the fat content almost definitely is. But I’m not going to say I didn’t enjoy it. But I would recommend it in small amounts. It seems indulgent.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

that's a good idea

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I used the Serious Eats "30 minute no cook" Philly base and it came out great if perhaps a little too sweet. FGR: all-cream is going to be way too rich (and some report getting butter globules) -- I've definitely had best success with 6oz milk 6oz cream or just 12 oz half and half, whether going richer with egg yolks and melted chocolate or keeping it milky by adding powdered skim (per the SE recipe). If anything I think the biggest departure from traditional recipes is Creami needs less sugar, both in that lower-sugar recipes seem to spin just fine and the ratio I'm used to seems sweeter from the Creami than my old-school machine.

What I should really do is make a quart batch and spin a pint while churning a pint, really get a good test going.

Hell, because I've got a compressor machine and 7 Creami pints, I could do multiple tests in a day...

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Test Pattern posted:

Hell, because I've got a compressor machine and 7 Creami pints, I could do multiple tests in a day...

Hell yes! New thread will have a dedicated 2nd post for experiments. So far I have, for Creami, gelato vs ice cream spin settings for vanilla custard, vodka vs no vodka, 7 hour freeze vs 24 hours, and one more that is tricky to explain.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
[mumble rap voice]

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Creami central…

tonedef131 posted:

long slot toaster

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Created a new ice cream thread! Please come share recipes and tips!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I saw someone recommend somebody get one of those induction burners to use to sear steaks if their oven was a piece of crap and I don't have that problem really but I was wondering if it might be good for stir fry using a wok?

I got Kenji's new wok book and we're loving the poo poo out of it but I can really feel the pain when he's describing how stir frying should work when you've really got the appropriate amount of BTUs. We've got a decent gas cook top but it just isn't getting the job done.

Do I need to get a 3500 watt one and plug it into a dryer outlet and do my stir frying in the laundry room?

I've got a Nema 14-50 outlet in the garage for car charging, could I plug an portable induction cooker into that?

Anyone have a lot of experience with these things?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think you’d get the contact that you really need for good induction use unless you got one of those that are made for woks.

I use a Big Kahuna propane burner outside and it makes a world of difference. I think it’s like 80,000 btus which still isn’t a ton but is way more than the power burner on my range. The other benefit is it keeps the smoke and oil outside. I wouldn’t want to cook at this heat in my kitchen.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why didn't I think of a propane burner? Thank you, that's exactly the advice I was looking for.

e: JFC Kenji even has an outdoor wok burner article, how did I miss this, I am a goddamn idiot.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 26, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

Why didn't I think of a propane burner? Thank you, that's exactly the advice I was looking for.

e: JFC Kenji even has an outdoor wok burner article, how did I miss this, I am a goddamn idiot.

Hes got some yt vids on this too and they're more useful than articles

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Commercial Immersion Blender? Preferably from Webstaurant, this site here

I don't mean home immersion blenders for pureeing a soup for 4. I mean bigass commercial for turning 60 pounds of chile peppers into 10 gallons of homogenous paste.

I started a business making fermented hot sauce. We use Vitamix blenders to puree chiles, garlic, onions, etc. into a mash, which we ferment in large plastic containers for 30 days. Vitamix blenders do an outstanding job of blending veggies. We put in whole bulbs (not cloves, entire bulbs), chiles with the stems on, etc., and turns the whole mix into a big green or red smoothie. The solid bits get filtrered out after fermentation. This saves us from spending hours of time peeling, destemming, or otherwise processing ingredients.

Now we want to get even more efficient, and that means getting an immersion blender. It's like one of those "galaxy brain memes":
Normal Brain: Get a chef's knife. Chop 60 pounds of chile peppers, 15 pounds of garlic cloves, and 10 pounds of onions by hand. Takes 4 hours.
Expanding Brain: Use a Vitamix blender. Blend the ingredients in 1/2 gallon batches, 30 seconds at a time. Takes 2 hours.
Galaxy Brain: Get a commercial immersion blender. Dump everything in a 5 gallon Cambro bucket and grind it all together at once. Takes 30 minutes.

These immersion blenders range in price from $500 to over $2,000. Can you recommend one that can meet these requirements:
1) Blend tough vegetables parts, like chile stems and raw carrots, to a smooth pulp.
2) Tolerate up to 2 hours of use each day, without burning out the motor or fatiguing my employees.
3) Preferably come in under $1,000.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh my god those things are so fun to use. Like my little home immersion blender is fun, but the big gently caress-off immersion blenders I used at work were next level.

Nothing useful to add, unfortunately. Just reminiscing about big blending.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Do you just hold them the whole time or do you attach them to the container somehow?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mystes posted:

Do you just hold them the whole time or do you attach them to the container somehow?

feels like you'd want to be able to attach them to something stationary, if only to avoid the inevitable repetitive stress injuries

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You just hang onto them for dear life.
We call em "boat motors"in the kitchen here.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

You just hang onto them for dear life.
We call em "boat motors"in the kitchen here.
That's an amusing image but otoh perhaps the restaurant industry doesn't always seem to have the best safety culture

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I swear I've seen mixing vessels with a mount, but yeah I always just held them.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Can I get a recommendation for a deli slicer for home for slicing my own salami and ham nice and thin? I had a cheaper one and where you hold the meat was plastic so it moved too much to get good cuts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VelociBacon posted:

To be honest I run it in 'quick' mode for pretty much any white rice and I can't tell the difference compared to normal mode. I got used to having to start the rice 'earlier' and I barely think about it anymore.

We have a standing reminder set for 5pm to “think about rice”.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Captainsalami posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a deli slicer for home for slicing my own salami and ham nice and thin? I had a cheaper one and where you hold the meat was plastic so it moved too much to get good cuts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124345227534 maybe

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Captainsalami posted:

I had a kitchenmaid brand one but it too was plastic. Cut decently, but flexed every which way when using and cleaning it without slicing your fingertips off was a perilous undertaking. I would search eBay and Facebook marketplace and restaurant auctions for an actual deli slicer if you're serious about one. I just don't think there are any home models that are decent.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If I ever win the lottery I’m gonna get one of those perfectly horizontal slicers where you have to spin a submarine door handle to operate

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Any recommendation for a tortilla press?

I've got a cheap Imusa aluminum press right now. Works great, only problem is that the bearing surface where the handle compresses the top plate is flaking off. I don't really want flaking aluminum near my tortillas.

Any reason to not go for a basic cast iron one? There's also fancy ones (for example this one: https://masienda.com/products/dona-rosa-tortilla-press?variant=42061359251605) but idk if it would really be any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

My Anova circulator impeller motor burned out. It’s my second one, first was replaced under warranty but still I’m unimpressed with their quality. I’m looking at the polyscience on that’s less than $50 more than the Anova. Any recommendations?