Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Does anyone know anything about Qrais exhibitions? I've been following him on twitter for a while and he keeps coming out with installation art projects like this one:

https://twitter.com/hobo_nichiyobi/status/1530164702416113666?s=20&t=uP84UKio3RGWesvvbcqYMw

quote:

Tomorrow, we are ready to welcome you to the "Qrais Noe Exhibition" starting on Saturday, May 28th.

This is a mysterious exhibition where you can enjoy paintings while walking around the venue with a flashlight.

The session is until July 10th (Sun). We look forward to seeing you at the venue like at night. (Iwa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks November 6, 1936

I really love the fact that the giant is dressed like, and kinda acts like, a east-coast university varsity bro. Like, the frat and/or school letter sweater and everything.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Friendship with kangaroos (38/1937)

okay where did you say they're stranded again

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (Apple Apple edition)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Strontium posted:

And now, introducing Legend of Bill!
Legend of Bill was a webcomic started by David Reddick in 2008. It is now starting its newly colorized run on Comics Kingdom, with a schedule of Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. So I may just start posting the weekly batch on thursdays so you can have two lovely days in a row, or I'll add them onto fridays so they can be extra lovely.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Good to see that literally nothing has changed about the Dems in 20 years.

e: Also wow Legend of Bill is just as dull and lazy as Intelligent Life, I can only assume he's getting a big fat paycheck from some company that thinks he appeals to that sweet nerd demographic because he sure doesn't seem to be doing it for the love of the craft. I don't like Reddick's stuff but it's more of a benign "This poo poo sucks" rather than infuriating like Mark Trail or Luann.

e2: Goddammit it's Legend of Bill, not Dave the Barbarian, he probably ripped it off for Legend of Bill like how he ripped off Family Guy for Intelligent Life, though.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 27, 2022

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I keep getting blocked on Comics Kingdom every other day, so I guess we'll have fun-sized Zits on those days. I'm heading out of town for a bit and will do a catch up post next week.

Pickles

Zits

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Heart has really been growing on me, even if I don't love the art style. I think it models really great behaviors, conflict resolution, and being able to be open and honest with friends/family etc. Like the way the mom and daughter talk to each other or the thing happening in today's strip. Especially in light of how badly Mary Worth handles that kind of poo poo (although I do know they have different target audiences).

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Strontium posted:

And now, introducing Legend of Bill!
Legend of Bill was a webcomic started by David Reddick in 2008. It is now starting its newly colorized run on Comics Kingdom, with a schedule of Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. So I may just start posting the weekly batch on thursdays so you can have two lovely days in a row, or I'll add them onto fridays so they can be extra lovely.

Why do you hate us?

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Dawn cannot resist such fine Aryan stock.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

No seriously what are you going to do with that guy?

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 22, 1934)

Peanuts (May 30, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 27, 1938)

Out Our Way (December 8-10, 1938)

Seed money? Or money going to seed?

Just when you think this story's done, it branches off into a new direction.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Chiming in to say that I really hate this

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

No seriously what are you going to do with that guy?

Yeah, none of this makes sense.

Maybe this isn't the Street Sweeper, but instead a co-conspirator in a mask in a convoluted plan to get the police after the Street Sweeper for kidnapping apparent criminals.

The "Take a criminal hostage at gunpoint with police witnesses, and manage to escape" portion seems particularly risky.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Imagine inviting a guy who can't go five minutes without reminding you of your own mortality to anything, much less a party.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I was going to say: I'd bet Les is a real hit at parties.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

I'm fed up with CK so I'm dropping Mandrake & Johnny Hazard. Yes it's trivial to get around the paywall but it's the principle of the thing.

Computoon: Origins

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Is this fracking. Did Warbucks Warbucks's Employee invent fracking.

also you were literally spraying oil into the air earlier that's not "non-polluting"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Zereth posted:

Is this fracking. Did Warbucks Warbucks's Employee invent fracking.

also you were literally spraying oil into the air earlier that's not "non-polluting"

Probably. I think I've read that the cartoonist who wrote Annie was pretty right wing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Probably. I think I've read that the cartoonist who wrote Annie was pretty right wing.
Oh, yeah, Warbucks is named that because he's a war profiteer, IIRC. We had Little Lefty absolutely making GBS threads on the comic early in its run.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Know That The Baby Is A Human That Just Looks Like A Fat Lil' Bunny But It's So loving Weird He Just Straight-Up Eats Living Animals Like Coney Does, That's Fundamentally Like Watching A Hairy Human Toddler Eat A Live Mouse

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Maybe it's because the government doesn't drill for oil.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

A non-evil bisexual in Luann??? :aaaaa:

No, you shut up

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Medenmath posted:

I like when these kinds of groups have very stupid costumes, so at least you know they're monstrous dipshits from a mile away. Although I have heard that part of the point is to prevent people taking them too seriously as a threat. I don't really think that works once they've developed a reputation though.

Love it

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 17, 1951)

I'm sure you have all heard of San Marino. To my knowledge Marius here is just a fictional character, not a historical person.

It’s Saint Marinus himself. Foster left the N out of his name for some reason. Also, Wikipedia says he was dead 200 years by this time….

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

That was a pretty weird climax for that substory, but it is what it is.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

I don't know why I did this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

New Nancy has some issues with only having one punchline, but when it works... this one got me.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Q-Rais Talks to Himself

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

wtf.................because the rice kept getting stuck on his mouthpiece and her sleeve was torn.............. :qq:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Harold Gray was pretty right-wing in the same way a blast furnace is slightly warm, but he'd been dead for eleven years at this point. These strips are a bit of a surprise to me because the other Annie strips I've seen from Leonard Starr were more straight adventure stuff, with less political ranting than Gray. But I suppose "that darn gubberment can't keep up with private enterprise" is a trope that always sells.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days

Q-Rais Talks to Himself

I never get tired of cyborg romance. Also I guess we have a ghost.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

don Jaime posted:

It’s Saint Marinus himself. Foster left the N out of his name for some reason. Also, Wikipedia says he was dead 200 years by this time….

That does make sense! I just saw the name difference and and failed to make the connection. The date being wrong isn't that weird in a story that has Muslims ruling Palestine ~120 years before Muhammad was born.

Selachian posted:

Harold Gray was pretty right-wing in the same way a blast furnace is slightly warm, but he'd been dead for eleven years at this point. These strips are a bit of a surprise to me because the other Annie strips I've seen from Leonard Starr were more straight adventure stuff, with less political ranting than Gray. But I suppose "that darn gubberment can't keep up with private enterprise" is a trope that always sells.

I'm going to guess that there's something wrong and Warbucks' message never got to whoever he sent it to. He mentioned that a few months had gone by and he hadn't received any response at all, which seems at least to me like there's supposed to be something fishy going on, maybe related to the new employee he doesn't trust. I feel like if the idea were just the government being incompetent he would have said they had refused his offer.

Green Intern posted:

I never get tired of cyborg romance. Also I guess we have a ghost.

Someone had suggested that he had responded to her, but I felt that panel was worded ambiguously so this lines up with that. I'm glad she's not "real" or whatever because otherwise he's been very rudely ingoring her. :v:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Can I say that I really respect that the twist wasn't "that woman was helping me pick out a present"? He knew the perfect present for his wife but needed help procuring it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Green Intern posted:

Chiming in to say that I really hate this

I teach high schoolers. I'm a fairly laid-back and personable teacher; I get along well with most of my students.
That said, I don't think any of them would imagine inviting me to a graduation party and I wouldn't imagine accepting. The issues of professionalism and just general "adulting" don't seem to matter to Les though.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Julet Esqu posted:

A non-evil bisexual in Luann??? :aaaaa:

No, you shut up

Nah, Fred's going to be Frederica. Who has though all along that Bern was a dude.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Selachian posted:

I'm looking at that new assistant and hoping this isn't a "ethnics sabotaging capitalism" storyline. Or maybe I'm reading too much into "you're in charge of hiring but... I hope he went through the usual security clearance" and Warbucks would have been just as guarded about any new guy and I should stop trying to figure out if that hair and pointy nose are supposed to suggest something.

Eh, I'm definitely overthinking this, regardless of whether it turns out to be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Thranguy posted:

Nah, Fred's going to be Frederica. Who has though all along that Bern was a dude.
Aw man that has to be it isn't it.