Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah after reading about it I decided that it's just not for me as someone who either plays games alone or with matchmaking

Right now it looks like playing public multiplayer servers means all the good castle spots and progression items are going to be taken by people who've been playing the game 18 hours a day and playing offline on your own requires a ton of cheat settings to be tolerable

I would say it's still a wonderful solo game, and you can - and probably should - tweak some of the values for your offline world. Stack size comes to mind and make teleport usable with resources too, that's a life-saver.

Although my experience is not REALLY solo but rather a co-op with some friends, but most of the time due to weird boss scaling we're doing maximum of 2 people boss kills and do our own thing with our own castles while chatting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I still have never finished Bioshock 1. I tried a Bioshock 1 playthrough when the remastered version came out but at one point you lose all your weapons and then get them back later, but it put them all back in the wrong order so the numbers were all wrong and it was annoying enough that I quit playing. Haven't played Bioshock 2 (though I apparently have it in my Steam account) and Bioshock Infinite is probably the worst game I've ever completed.

My memory of Bioshock Infinite at release is that everyone said Elizabeth was the strongest, most well-rounded female character in a video game up to that point and then when I played it, it turns out she has the power to tear apart spacetime with her mind but she needs me, a middle-aged dad with no superpowers, to be her savior while she occasionally tosses me a coin she found.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Bioshock 1 doesn't hold up that well. Visually it's neat and there's a lot of really great moments, but people tend to forget that a good half of the game is boring and uninspired too. For every Fort Frolic and Hephaestus, there's an Arcadia or Farmers Market or Olympus Heights. It's also a game where once the big twist with Ryan happens, the game runs out of steam and the next few hours kind of suck. A problem System Shock 2 also had to be sure.

Bioshock 2 both has better gameplay and I'd argue more interesting locations. An amusement park designed to brainwash kids about why being a selfish prick is a good thing. A shopping mall which very quickly turned into a Red Light District as the money flowed to the select elite. An illegal shantytown hidden underneath the train tracks which connects different domes of Rapture. An art gallery that's been flooded for so long, aquatic life made its home there. And... people say Bioshock 2 has a weaker story but it was also trying to tell a more personal story between a father and daughter than a grandiose political story like the first game. It was also neat just for letting you see through the eyes of both the Big Daddies and Little Sisters and just how hosed up the experiments done to them were. If anything, Infinite tried to combine the stories of Bioshock 1 and 2 and just left a giant confused both-sides mess.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Drainus is dope. Even if you're not exactly a fan of shmups, it's worth checking it out sooner or later.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Drainus is almost as good as its name isn't

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Drain the what?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Even on release I thought Bioshock was overrated. Biggest reason: the shooting felt bad. And while Rapture is obviously a great design, it did get very samey, something it shared with Infinite. That said, it did have three aspects I really dug.
1)The Big Daddy encounters worked as advertised. They're some of the only times I really planned out a fight with traps and such before engaging.
2)It's probably the first example I can remember where gun upgrades really affected the visuals.
3)The story and the twist. I know the modern goon is jaded and detached, but at the time it was a real "oh drat!" moment.

Bioshock Infinite, meanwhile, had considerably better gunplay, and its hooking sections were a thrill, but it was much more of a linear shooter with nothing on the level of the BDEs. All told, I'd give both Bio games a 7.5.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 27, 2022

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I like playing cheap linear narrative FPS games as palate cleansers between more involved games, and the Bioshock games were good for that. Just something to breeze through and enjoy the sights.

Last game like that for me was Vanquish, which was pretty fun once I got into the swing of boosting (always be boostin')

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Drain the what?

The Drain of Us

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

The Drain of Us

The first boss of The Drain of Us 2 is a ship equipped with a baseball bat.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CharlestheHammer posted:

People dunked on infinite pretty quickly after release. It might be the fastest aging game I’ve ever seen

Its mainly here that people don't like it? I could be wrong but I don't think it's a universal opinion at all

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Nah infinite gets poo poo on pretty much everywhere I sink to talking about videogames. It's not good.

E: Goons were, typically, the most hyperbolic about it on launch tho, so I guess in relative terms no one else wanted to murder Ken Levine or whatever some of the bans in that thread were for

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HLDaBGdnLc
Hey, nerds, are that nosferatu guy and bacta tank Sephiroth people we're supposed to be familiar with?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I am pretty sure that Bioshock Infinite's star burned out in record time at other places too.

I will admit I really liked it at launch, but then you kind of think back and you see all the seams everywhere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
infinite had defenders on these forums but they threw up their hands and left the conversation after the DLC. there wasn't much anyone could do with that mess

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Mordja posted:

Hey, nerds, are that nosferatu guy and bacta tank Sephiroth people we're supposed to be familiar with?

first thought is "a young palpatine clone", just because it'd be the worst possible thing it could be

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Oxxidation posted:

infinite had defenders on these forums but they threw up their hands and left the conversation after the DLC. there wasn't much anyone could do with that mess

I didn't play the Infinite DLCs but I remember looking up what happens and Woof.

Speaking of DLCs, I did really like Minerva's Den in Bioshock 2. I did not stick with the base game but I ought to give it another chance one of these days.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Infinite has 95% positive ratings on Steam, I don't think the Vox Populi has condemned it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I liked BioShock 2. It's BioShock's gameplay done right.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mordja posted:

Nosferatu guy is almost certainly the Grand Inquisitor the (immediate) boss of the baddies you dealt with in the first game. He first showed up in the Rebels series and also just showed up in the Obi-Wan miniseries that premiered today.

Not sure on the Bacta Tank person.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bioshock 2 was Bioshock, but with a DIFFERENT moral dilemma! Oh no! Someone took an extreme too far :( :( :( Never saw that coming.

It was an ok game shooter, just not worth the Bioshock title.

Bioshock infinite is fine, but it's also very on rails. If you beat it once, you never feel the compulsion to play it again.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Volte posted:

I still have never finished Bioshock 1. I tried a Bioshock 1 playthrough when the remastered version came out but at one point you lose all your weapons and then get them back later, but it put them all back in the wrong order so the numbers were all wrong and it was annoying enough that I quit playing. Haven't played Bioshock 2 (though I apparently have it in my Steam account) and Bioshock Infinite is probably the worst game I've ever completed.

My memory of Bioshock Infinite at release is that everyone said Elizabeth was the strongest, most well-rounded female character in a video game up to that point and then when I played it, it turns out she has the power to tear apart spacetime with her mind but she needs me, a middle-aged dad with no superpowers, to be her savior while she occasionally tosses me a coin she found.

Oof, that was very definitely a bug and almost certainly some kind of remaster jank.

I'm still galled at the tone deafness surrounding Elizabeth, how people praised what a great NPC companion she was and how she "doesn't get in your way". And also how everyone apparently forgot that Half-Life 2 had already figured out 90% of that poo poo with Alyx, especially in the episodes.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

And... people say Bioshock 2 has a weaker story but it was also trying to tell a more personal story between a father and daughter than a grandiose political story like the first game.

I mean, Bioshock 2 does seem to be trying to say something about Collectivism, but unlike the first game it's not about Collectivism, for better or worse. I also always found it a bit grating how much of the premise had to be retconned/bolted on, where oh of course Lamb had always been part of the Rapture elite, why she was there the whole time in Bioshock 1 like when uhhhh...look over there! A Big Sister! I say this still really liking Bioshock 2 a whole lot, but it's not without its rough spots.

In fact, my usual boring answer is that I think both 1 and 2 have their strong points and neither is strictly better than the other.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I remember Infinite being pretty highly defended here and opinions didn't start to turn until shortly before the first story DLC, but still trended towards being positive. But the time the last story DLC came out, yeah. It had maybe a handful of defenders on SA left, most of the others seemed to turn on the game. Not sure how the reaction was outside of SA or how that changed.

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, Bioshock 2 does seem to be trying to say something about Collectivism, but unlike the first game it's not about Collectivism, for better or worse. I also always found it a bit grating how much of the premise had to be retconned/bolted on, where oh of course Lamb had always been part of the Rapture elite, why she was there the whole time in Bioshock 1 like when uhhhh...look over there! A Big Sister! I say this still really liking Bioshock 2 a whole lot, but it's not without its rough spots.

In fact, my usual boring answer is that I think both 1 and 2 have their strong points and neither is strictly better than the other.

I mean there's audio logs in Bioshock 2 that shows Ryan loving hated Lamb and tried to have her assassinated and only invited her to Rapture out of necessity. Unlike Bioshock 1 though which was all about objectivism being bad, the collectivism of 2 wasn't really explored much simply because it wasn't the main focus. The focus was on the dysfunctional family relationship between Sofia, Eleanor and Delta and family in general. There's even subplots about another father in Rapture doing his own thing around the same time Delta is only to give into despair when he finds his daughter has turned into a Little Sister. There's also greater focus on the average person in Rapture. Bioshock 1 focused a bit much on the top doctors, plastic surgeons, botanists, performers etc. 2 was much more about how the lower classes lived in Ryan's society which is much more interesting imo.

So I agree the collectivism stuff in 2 is half-baked but to be honest, I think people would have poo poo on the developers for not being political like Bioshock 1. Actually, Bioshock 2 was pretty roundly panned for being a "cheap cash-in" while the REAL Bioshock sequel in Infinite would come out. Like Infinite, Bioshock 2 underwent revisionism and only gained more appreciation after Infinite came out.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 27, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest I actually understand that. Infinite is kind of a lovely mess but it does feel like it has more effort in it than 2.

Sadly effort doesn’t equal quality

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Infinite has 95% positive ratings on Steam, I don't think the Vox Populi has condemned it.

You can't condemn something you've already forgotten

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
infinite was great for screenshots and not so great for anything else

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ZearothK posted:

8.6 user rating on metacritic too. This thread has pretty idiosyncratic views sometimes and thinks everyone else has them too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’ve wouldn’t put to much stock in steam reviews or loving meta critic of all places

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’ve wouldn’t put to much stock in steam reviews or loving meta critic of all places

It's probably more representative than the goon hivemind at least?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

8.6 user rating on metacritic too. This thread has pretty idiosyncratic views sometimes and thinks everyone else has them too.

I couldn’t give a single poo poo about what Steam reviewers think, it’s not going to keep me from having my own opinion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

It's probably more representative than the goon hivemind at least?

Only if your really invested in defending the game I guess.

At that point just look at Amazon reviews

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I feel like 2K Marin have been done dirty. Both Bioshock 2 and third person X-COM are better than their reputations would have you believe.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's a big long discussion about Steam Reviews and the nature of them, and this is the right thread to hash it out, but I'll be fekked if I could put the effort into it.

I will quickly say however, that if you sat outside a movie theatre doing exit interviews of a film that you know is trash (let's say Twilight for example), you'd still end up with a very high approval rating. Selection bias, people with bad taste, lowest common denominator, etc - or is [ex. Twilight] an actually good film and all those stuffy critics don't know what they're talking about?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh, I am not saying people are wrong for disliking a game or that a game is objectively good because it has positive user reviews. I just felt it was weird that people were saying that the universal opinion on a title turned negative when the collected user reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Disposable Scud posted:

I feel like 2K Marin have been done dirty. Both Bioshock 2 and third person X-COM are better than their reputations would have you believe.

Notably, Arkane also had a big role in Bioshock 2.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Jordan7hm posted:

Fanatical is doing a bundle fest thing again and today’s bundle has Cook Serve Delicious 3, My Time at Portia, Blasphemous, Morbid the Seven Acolytes and Riot Civil Unrest for 6$ Canadian. Also Severed Steel for another couple bucks.

Fanatical bundles are really good.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-22
Cook Serve Delicious 3 is a fantastic game, and I think a lot of people slept on it after 2 ended up being something of a let down. I'd really recommend giving it a chance if you haven't.

It's got a fantastic soundtrack too. This song, especially, still pops into my head at random times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6LjnEzLaqM

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jokymi posted:

Cook Serve Delicious 3 is a fantastic game, and I think a lot of people slept on it after 2 ended up being something of a let down. I'd really recommend giving it a chance if you haven't.

It's got a fantastic soundtrack too. This song, especially, still pops into my head at random times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6LjnEzLaqM

TAKIN A RIDE DOWNTOWN

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

The dev of CSD! is cool as hell too.

He gave out a ton of free copies of his games for proof of charitable donations. I forget if it was for Palestine or BLM or what, but he was real chill too talk to online

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Oh, I am not saying people are wrong for disliking a game or that a game is objectively good because it has positive user reviews. I just felt it was weird that people were saying that the universal opinion on a title turned negative when the collected user reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

People know pretty much what they're getting with a game, so outside of performance and "politics" the steam reviews will just be measuring whether it met expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the further you get into rogue legacy 2's postgame content the more grim and souls-y the story becomes and the contrast between that and its overall aesthetic never fails to amuse