Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

(m night shamalyan voice) but it turned out the great uncle was black all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Bro Dad posted:

I made fun of Zack Snyder around my dad and he started gushing about the justice league recut and how Hollywood is putting down a real auteur

This is also the same conversation where my 80 year old uncle revealed he's a big ghost in the shell fan that was very upset with the scarjo whitewashing

They're right, and cool, and cooler for being cool and old, although the main problem with the GitS casting is that Scarjo is a bad actor.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

addressing the very real problem of whitewashing using a film about the mutability of race, culture, identity and the soul in the face of literally dehumanizing capitalist oppression is mid-tier

casting world-famous actress scarlett johansson as a character named "motoko kusanagi" is like the one thing that piece of poo poo movie did right

that isn’t why they cast her or why she took the role though. also that’s not how it was perceived by its intended audience, so even if they did mean to do that, which they didn’t, they failed

porfiria posted:

the main problem with the GitS casting is that Scarjo is a bad actor.

that’s also true

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
They may be less interesting to criticize than woke consoomers these days, but I still remember how annoying people who defended commercial works from accusations of whitewashing were five or ten years ago. There was plenty of psuedo-leftist rhetoric then also, in service of Hollywood's endless trash. I rather not see these works rehabilitated.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/tinywienerbabe/status/1530306104395067392?s=20&t=miGMbgKH_Q3ze8eY0WQJew

MORBIUS 2 HYPE LETS GOOOO #getthemfries

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

my 80 year old uncle revealed he's a big ghost in the shell fan that was very upset with the scarjo whitewashing

lmao

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the morb rides again babey

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Morbius actually did better than the last Harry Potter

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the guy who directed 1995 ghost in the shell is one of the people who liked the scarjo casting.

personally idk. scarjo is a bad actress so i didn't feel like watching the movie. so i didn't

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’m really enjoying all the Morbius content. it’s making me wonder if the movie is worth watching

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

indigi posted:

I’m really enjoying all the Morbius content. it’s making me wonder if the movie is worth watching

depends on if you like morbi morbi geney splicey stuff

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

the morb lord

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

This one's for you morb

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
whitewashing scarlett Johansson is like making your mayo sandwich even whiter by spreading mayo on the sides so you can’t even see the bread and you’re just holding gross cold mayo

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

its funny they put a KIDS DYING warning on Stranger Things when its escapist pablum meanwhile the beginning of Obi Wan is legit upsetting

and its bad twice over between watching teachers trying to defend their students from murderers, and knowing this is based on prequel lore trash

i once imagined a revamped prequel trilogy based on Darth basically being a talented child used and abused by elite neolibs (Jedi) into becoming a weapon, sacrificing everything for their idiotic goals and becoming a reactionary extremist bent on rising in the ranks and murdering his superiors. basically a combination of The Forever War and Gormenghast with lightsabers

Durf has issued a correction as of 08:46 on May 28, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Durf posted:

i once imagined a revamped prequel trilogy based on darth basically a talented child used and abused by elite neolibs (Jedi) into becoming a weapon, sacrificing everything for their idiotic goals

this is quite literally the plot of the prequels

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

indigi posted:

this is quite literally the plot of the prequels

i just remember him whining about Padme a lot

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I remember pod racing. Disney, make a one-off special for a fake live pod racing championship complete with color commentators. Bonus points for an alternate voice track in an unintelligible alien language.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
grandparents said they wanted to watch The Eternals I told them the sex scene between Ikaris and Sersie has the Asian masculinity subreddit on suicide watch (Not sure I can explain it more without going into incel culture) any ideas guys?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the prequels would be cooler if they were about the republic jedi culture degrading into the sith and then wiping eachother out in power struggles instead of just being owned by palpatine

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

every pop movie villian is basically just CRAZY for no reason. it the motivational equivalent of 'mental illness' for mass shootings

and the rare times a good point or justification for their actions sneaks in, in the last act they suddenly decide to murder people or shoot a blue space laser to destroy the universe and the hero supercops are justified in ending their nefarious schemes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Durf posted:

every pop movie villian is basically just CRAZY for no reason

and the rare times a good point or justification for their actions sneaks in, in the last act they suddenly decide to murder people or shoot a blue space laser to destroy the universe and the hero cops are justified in ending their nefarious schemes
yea we were talking about that a few weeks ago lol. black panther and nu riddler has to be one of the most comical examples, even bane. disney writers loving suck rear end

one of my favorite villains is Tom Cruise in Collateral, and what makes Heat so good is really no one is the villain (or everyone is the villain)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

daniel radcliffe in Lost City is a villain with proper motivations

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Xaris posted:

yea we were talking about that a few weeks ago lol. black panther and nu riddler has to be one of the most comical examples, even bane. disney writers loving suck rear end

one of my favorite villains is Tom Cruise in Collateral, and what makes Heat so good is really no one is the villain (or everyone is the villain)

I would argue that the closest marvel came to an interesting villian was the dude in Civil War who lost his family to hero bullshit and made the supercops and war profiteers turn on each other, and was so devoted to his cause that when achieving access to the supersoldier program he decided to just kill them all in their tanks

tho later on i think they just turned him into a nazi or something

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Xaris posted:

what makes Heat so good is really no one is the villain (or everyone is the villain)

everyone is the villain, except Hank Azaria. and I guess Natalie Portman

also…. why the gently caress did Bane keep all those cops alive underground for six months that doesn’t make any sense. how was there enough surplus food and water to dump enough for hundreds down the sewers every day

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
don't put any thought into it, chris nolan clearly doesn't

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

indigi posted:

everyone is the villain, except Hank Azaria. and I guess Natalie Portman

also…. why the gently caress did Bane keep all those cops alive underground for six months that doesn’t make any sense. how was there enough surplus food and water to dump enough for hundreds down the sewers every day

In the end, Bane was a lib who thought you can reform the police

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

still lollin at the Dark Knight Rises cop braveheart charge. pure copaganda.

imagine the gotham police showing any motivation beyond grabbing turnstile jumpers

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the film's on fairytale logic by that point. both batman and the cops have to go through this extreme hardship to emerge transformed as not a bunch of assholes. bane isn't a real revolutionary because Nolan literally doesn't believe you can have real revolutionaries.

nu-riddler being a generic anti-government guy who turns out to be leading a right-wing militia was pretty passable, even if his plan didn't make any sense

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The heroic Gotham police had apparently gone too far in some non-specific way

Is there any hint of it in the movie other than them chasing after Batman?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Durf posted:

still lollin at the Dark Knight Rises cop braveheart charge. pure copaganda.

imagine the gotham police showing any motivation beyond grabbing turnstile jumpers

a whole city of harvey bullocks

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The sewer thing is funnier when you realize that a city the size of Gotham should have tens of thousands of police officers. New York has over 30,000, for instance.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Durf posted:

I would argue that the closest marvel came to an interesting villian was the dude in Civil War who lost his family to hero bullshit and made the supercops and war profiteers turn on each other, and was so devoted to his cause that when achieving access to the supersoldier program he decided to just kill them all in their tanks

tho later on i think they just turned him into a nazi or something

Which is kinda funny since the whole “average guy whose family was killed by superhero collateral damage” plot was a completely original story made up for the movie, while the actual comic character is a literal German Nazi from WW2.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i watched 1 ep of the new season of stranger things it was extremely boring with lots of new characters that seemed very annoying.

the transition from goofy kids to annoying teens is going to be difficult

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Scarlett Johansson casting was bad because her acting is generally not great, but the biggest mistake in my eyes was not casting Holt McCallany at Batou

The guy not only looks like him but also sounds oddly close to Richard Epcar's voice in the dub, it's such a bizarrely good fit imo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

here's morbin at you, kid

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Farm Frenzy posted:

the prequels would be cooler if they were about the republic jedi culture degrading into the sith and then wiping eachother out in power struggles instead of just being owned by palpatine

Ill never understand dookus character. He seems to want to sabotage palpatine, tries to explain what's going on but no one will listen, and then says screw it and throws down with anyone who wants to fight

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Good soup! posted:

The Scarlett Johansson casting was bad because her acting is generally not great, but the biggest mistake in my eyes was not casting Holt McCallany at Batou

The guy not only looks like him but also sounds oddly close to Richard Epcar's voice in the dub, it's such a bizarrely good fit imo

i just want more mindhunter is that so much to ask

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i say swears online posted:

daniel radcliffe in Lost City is a villain with proper motivations

an island sucked you off???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

i don't remember Radcliffe's character having a motivation beyond being a rich boy with the opposite of Jones' "it belongs in a museum"

lost city of dick was a fun enough watch but i'm never going to watch it again, so

stringless has issued a correction as of 15:32 on May 28, 2022