Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Gen Z and Gen Alpha are slaves to marketing. If you simply make lots of memes of something, they'll buy any product you shove out the door no matter how much it sucks.

Haha, hot take that the generations that currently contain literal children are subject to marketing ploys. It definitely wasn't the case that when we were children we wanted whatever garbage food\toy was being advertised non-stop during sunday morning cartoons\after school Nickelodeon programs\etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPaCXU4mwR8

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

marjorie posted:

Haha, hot take that the generations that currently contain literal children are subject to marketing ploys. It definitely wasn't the case that when we were children we wanted whatever garbage food\toy was being advertised non-stop during sunday morning cartoons\after school Nickelodeon programs\etc...

Couldn't be me. I hated existing as a kid. That poo poo worked like coke on my mom though, she bought so many drat books and crayons and colored pencils no matter how many times I told her I didn't like any of that poo poo.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I wonder exactly who controls my brain since I don’t watch tv or use social media. I guess it’s… you…? All of you?

gently caress

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

sassassin posted:

It's always worth pointing out when people are falling for advertising. A lot of people genuinely can't tell, or think that doing something ironically isn't identical to doing it sincerely. Morbius flopped and now Disney want to make it some "so bad it's good" cult thing. "People just be making memes" and participating in an organised viral marketing campaign.

This is a pretty morbid post.

marjorie posted:

https://twitter.com/MisterABK/status/1506579158289330176?s=20&t=2ZI4rUjISUnbGd14L2wGTg

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 00:54 on May 28, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

freeedr posted:

I wonder exactly who controls my brain since I don’t watch tv or use social media. I guess it’s… you…? All of you?

gently caress

No, we don't want to claim responsibility for that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

freeedr posted:

gently caress

Goon hivemind strikes again.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Spanish Manlove posted:

No. Even suicide has been cooped by gun lobbyists and big razor blade.

that's why i plan on dying in the one place that hasn't been ruined by Capitalism, SPACE!

oh wait, that's been ruined now too, gently caress

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

bike tory posted:

Something's off about this post. Who the gently caress are you shilling for here buddy??

I'm deep in the pocket of Big Big Bed With My Wife.

sassassin posted:

It's always worth pointing out when people are falling for advertising. A lot of people genuinely can't tell, or think that doing something ironically isn't identical to doing it sincerely. Morbius flopped and now Disney want to make it some "so bad it's good" cult thing. "People just be making memes" and participating in an organised viral marketing campaign.

Well, at least we agree that at least one person in this thread can't tell when memes are paid marketing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL if you don't steal toys because your children saw them on a pirated show

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
There's this thing (and I want nothing more to get back to memes, and I am doing the opposite of that with this post) among the conspiracy minded that is they understood the ideas of 'who benefits' and 'follow the money' but decided to throw out every other piece of reasoning in getting to the bottom of 'why a thing happened'

Therefore if a thing happens that might benefit Sony (Morbius memes becoming popular, even if it doesn't actually translate to more people people seeing the movie), then it follows logically that Sony was the architect of that happening.

Like convicting some of murder on motive alone.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Just rewatched Lord of War, and Leto's performance was groundbreaking. I cannot wait to see this Morbius everyone keeps praising.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Worst case there's either a Morbius sequel, or a Netflix Morbius reboot, where they try to show how hip and roll-with-the-punches they are and Morbius says "it's morbin time" while mugging at the camera

Thanks, you reminded me of the Juggernaut thing and now I want to die

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

Just rewatched Lord of War, and Leto's performance was groundbreaking. I cannot wait to see this Morbius everyone keeps praising.

Lord of War is one of the few products that Chris Roberts of Star Citizen fame has successfully produced.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I forgot he was in Lord of War to the point I had to think for a minute to even remember who he played.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Cat Hatter posted:

I forgot he was in Lord of War to the point I had to think for a minute to even remember who he played.

:same:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Serak posted:

There's this thing (and I want nothing more to get back to memes, and I am doing the opposite of that with this post) among the conspiracy minded that is they understood the ideas of 'who benefits' and 'follow the money' but decided to throw out every other piece of reasoning in getting to the bottom of 'why a thing happened'

Therefore if a thing happens that might benefit Sony (Morbius memes becoming popular, even if it doesn't actually translate to more people people seeing the movie), then it follows logically that Sony was the architect of that happening.

Like convicting some of murder on motive alone.

Can't believe we're all in the pocket of Big Alphabet, how deep does this rabbit hole go? Is ELMO the mastermind behind all of this?!

https://twitter.com/ImogenWK/status/1528711340273065991
https://twitter.com/eclectichams/status/1528794075465502720?s=21&t=JPfDV519uzNdFHAFc1p5uQ
https://twitter.com/CoreyBrickley/status/1528407932525854720?t=7eBWg7IK6J_vXOI7CMtdUA&s=19
https://twitter.com/rezekjoe/status/1528872874248896512?s=21
https://twitter.com/Rabid_Savage/status/1528802815182876672

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Look at this motherfucker who's never had the morbs before, loving pathetic.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
it's morb drinkin' time

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Why so morbious?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Yo girl you morbin' later?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
PYF Memes: Do you prefer big morbalorbies?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Oof.jpg

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/woops/status/1530094846244818944

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/FTwRz2rUUAQ8qfy.mp4

https://twitter.com/harddrivemag/status/1529084848652136448

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I'll take Seven Rings In Hand if you got it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://i.imgur.com/mE8OOU9.gifv

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abe1W1gGXy0

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

sassassin posted:

What do you base this on? Genuine question, if you can point to something to actually indicate that morb memes are astroturfed then I'll stop posting them. Kinda seems like you just have a better sense for it than most people, perhaps something a bit like the enhanced senses morbius relies on to morb all over those guys.

unrelated:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We have fully internalized the carceral mentality when we restrict our memeing out of fear of astroturfing. In the search of authenticity we have compromised our own natural impulse and subordinated it to the artificiality of ideology.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

OwlFancier posted:

We have fully internalized the carceral mentality when we restrict our memeing out of fear of astroturfing. In the search of authenticity we have compromised our own natural impulse and subordinated it to the artificiality of ideology.

*Wipes spittle from my face*

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

morbussy

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Fool that you are, you forget that the search for authenticity is already subordinate to ideology. Without ideology we have no way to understand what is authentic; these so called "natural" impulses, our very desires and drives themselves, have their roots not only in our biology but also our ideology.

Why else is my body's desire for sustenance, surely one of the most base, life-sustaining drives, sated by this Monster Energy Ultra Paradise™? Intellectually I know that the Zero Sugar formulation of this smooth fruity kick contains none of the nutrients, minerals or calories that my body needs. It is because I have already been taught to desire it.

In the same way, Morbius initially fears morbin' time. He rejects his abilities, refusing to morb on those guys because he naively rejects the monster he sees himself becoming in pursuit of what he believes to be more "authentic" humanity.

I know critics have reacted negatively to the cameo of Slovenian communist and pop philosopher Slavoj Zizek, but I actually think his intervention in the film is brilliantly placed. His training montage with Morbius sets Morbius on the critical path that leads him to stop questioning how he knows it's morbin' time, and to simply understand when it's morbin' time.

This is what gives so much weight to that scene when he finally says the line and morbs on those guys. He has accepted himself for an authentic ideological being. He can strive to shape and control his ideology, and thereby he can shape and control the morb within. I find this really inspiring, and I think this conception of ideological authenticity is something we could all benefit from, at the end of the day.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

bike tory posted:

Fool that you are, you forget that the search for authenticity is already subordinate to ideology. Without ideology we have no way to understand what is authentic; these so called "natural" impulses, our very desires and drives themselves, have their roots not only in our biology but also our ideology.

Why else is my body's desire for sustenance, surely one of the most base, life-sustaining drives, sated by this Monster Energy Ultra Paradise™? Intellectually I know that the Zero Sugar formulation of this smooth fruity kick contains none of the nutrients, minerals or calories that my body needs. It is because I have already been taught to desire it.

In the same way, Morbius initially fears morbin' time. He rejects his abilities, refusing to morb on those guys because he naively rejects the monster he sees himself becoming in pursuit of what he believes to be more "authentic" humanity.

I know critics have reacted negatively to the cameo of Slovenian communist and pop philosopher Slavoj Zizek, but I actually think his intervention in the film is brilliantly placed. His training montage with Morbius sets Morbius on the critical path that leads him to stop questioning how he knows it's morbin' time, and to simply understand when it's morbin' time.

This is what gives so much weight to that scene when he finally says the line and morbs on those guys. He has accepted himself for an authentic ideological being. He can strive to shape and control his ideology, and thereby he can shape and control the morb within. I find this really inspiring, and I think this conception of ideological authenticity is something we could all benefit from, at the end of the day.

Well, that's loving dumb. Well done.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

I am going to post this image elsewhere, out of spite