Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Goddamnit Tessa, when we told you suicide wasn't the answer we didn't mean "the answer is thinking 'join up with the person who actually killed your team and has murdered a whole lot of other girls' is the same as 'having your team die because you didn't go on patrol with them.'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Imagine working at the world trade center and calling in sick on 9/11 as a petty office politics move. Imagine the survivors guilt and depression is so bad you join Al Qaeda.

It just makes sense.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tessa went out to meet goopy because she thought goop would kill her, and as far as we know she was right and she's been totally subsumed

it was a bad, irrational decision by someone suicidally depressed and you don't need a weirdass 9/11 metaphor to talk about it

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think Tessa has been subsumed. Their combined form here is acting very differently to how Goops did. She had empathy for monsters, and she didn't attack Kokoro even when they were fighting. She's been petty and arrogant but, well, Tessa was also like that when she was at the top of her game. Rather than killing her, Goops has given her a purpose, even if we don't know what her end goal is yet. Probably the kind of big, world-changing purpose that could justify anything as serving the greater good. It seems like the kind of thing that could keep Tessa playing along, at least as long as Goops doesn't try to get her to attack Undine.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Plus Goop dangled the apple of "have powers again" which for someone like Tessa means "be in control of your life again and get back in your comfort zone where everything was okay".

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Either Goops is decent at acting like Tessa sometimes or it's more or less an even fusion. That self hatred line makes sense from both the Tessa side and the Goops side. Gooptessa saving HP isn't even really a Goops thing at all. Meanwhile going after Anemone isn't a Tessa thing at all. So it seems like both of them are there, with some actions reflecting one more than the other.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Plus, Tessa is in the page tags along with "Her." Sure we can't prove a negative, but it's reasonable to consider Gooptessa as a fusion type thing instead of Tessa as just completely gone.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Yeah, zero percent chance Tessa is fully gone. She's not fully in the driver's seat but she's there. She'll fight back against Goops control at some key point.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There's no way that, in a comic with a major theme about recovering from tragedy and trauma, the most tragic and traumatized character is unsalvageable.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

She's a Dark Magical Girl now, it's been in the works forever, there's no way Goops is the one calling all the shots.

Just, uh, she's managed to convince Tessa that actually her murdering all of Tessa's friends is just a symptom and comparable to Tessa getting them all killed, and the real cause is the whole magical girl thing in the first place.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I mean the conversation seems like it's making it pretty clear that goops is driving the car. Tessa is present, and contributing (the confidence and showmanship present in her interactions so far seem like her personality shining through), but like the story seems to be very clear that the girls are talking to Goops. Anemone isn't asking what Tessa what goops did to her, she's asking goops if any of tessa is even left. idk why people think goops did this if not to be in control of an incredibly powerful magical girl to do something very specific and bad

which, of course there is, because undine is going to have to say something that pierces through goops' weird dream brainwashing and gets tessa to regain control, eventually.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Joe Slowboat posted:

She's a Dark Magical Girl now, it's been in the works forever, there's no way Goops is the one calling all the shots.

Just, uh, she's managed to convince Tessa that actually her murdering all of Tessa's friends is just a symptom and comparable to Tessa getting them all killed, and the real cause is the whole magical girl thing in the first place.

Honestly, that sounds reasonable. At the same time it shifts Tessa's guilt a bit away from herself and gives her a new direction to lay her blame.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Imagine our shock when all Goops needed to do was influence Tessa a bit, who still has a majority of the agency (now)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Varinn posted:

I mean the conversation seems like it's making it pretty clear that goops is driving the car. Tessa is present, and contributing (the confidence and showmanship present in her interactions so far seem like her personality shining through), but like the story seems to be very clear that the girls are talking to Goops. Anemone isn't asking what Tessa what goops did to her, she's asking goops if any of tessa is even left. idk why people think goops did this if not to be in control of an incredibly powerful magical girl to do something very specific and bad

which, of course there is, because undine is going to have to say something that pierces through goops' weird dream brainwashing and gets tessa to regain control, eventually.

The characters are unreliable narrators. Even Anemone isn't omniscient

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I think it's pretty clear from the ??? chapter that Goops fusing with Tessa is the two of them seeing eye to eye. Now, Goops seems to be basically made of depression sludge and Tessa is incredibly, horrifically depressed, so that's not saying that Tessa is in her right mind and an equal partner - but this is clearly Goops/Tessa fusion, not Goops riding Tessa around like a vehicle.

Because that's more Madoka.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Well, what in the hell does that mean?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New page link: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-20-page-3

I think a lot of people had already assumed the girl in the dreams is the Founder that some parts of the city worship - or at least that she's the original person behind that figure. I'd guessed that Goops had come out of Anemone's head (since she'd mostly swam through the Barrier until she got a Tessa to ride around in) but maybe she's a part of the whole dream realm thing.

As a side note without the ethereal glow Anemone is a lot less imposing. Much more clear she's four feet tall and out in her jammies.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
When Anemone gets brutally killed in 8 pages, I really hope it's the kind of killed where she reforms in bed with a pouty expression, and not the kind of killed where it feels like the other shoe has dropped and everything gets really dire for the rest of the comic.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Well there goes the theory that they all knew each other before whatever brain fizzle event happened. But I am not disappointed!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ragnar34 posted:

When Anemone gets brutally killed in 8 pages, I really hope it's the kind of killed where she reforms in bed with a pouty expression, and not the kind of killed where it feels like the other shoe has dropped and everything gets really dire for the rest of the comic.

It's not Madoka

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I keep reading the second panel not as her holding the needle but as her flipping goops off

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

What I'm getting out of this page is that Goops split from Glowy at some point, and Glowy either met Anemone or established Anemone's role after that split.

What I'm spitballing is that Goops means "get rid of me" like Madeline and her depression-personification in Celeste. Goops and Glowy are two halves of what was once one being.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ditocoaf posted:

What I'm getting out of this page is that Goops split from Glowy at some point, and Glowy either met Anemone or established Anemone's role after that split.

What I'm spitballing is that Goops means "get rid of me" like Madeline and her depression-personification in Celeste. Goops and Glowy are two halves of what was once one being.

That seems to be where this is going, yeah. We got a Badeline situation.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

I reckon it's much more recent, probably not too long before the start of the story - especially if Goops knew about Tessa, then she'd have the woman in white's memories of being talked into giving her powers.

Hell, it's possible that Goops grew out of a seed of doubt planted by giving in in that encounter. Maybe all this is Tessa's fault after all!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh right, that should have been "before" in italics in my post there, not "after" lol.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I think it's plausible that Goops got 'made' sometime after the whole Founder situation, when the Woman in White tried to control or expel her nightmares/negative thoughts - it would make sense of why Goops is all goopy, she's got no human structure under the goop. There's no original human form melting, just nightmare slime.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
New page

Think this is the first time we've seen Anemone get the Fuzzy Eyes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

New page

Think this is the first time we've seen Anemone get the Fuzzy Eyes.

Not quite.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Does that make this soft confirmation that the Golden One is the Founder, then?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

well that was November 8, 2016, she could've been memory-holing something else

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-20-page-5
Um, I'm really worried right now everyone.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Stressa is a good name for the Goops+Tessa combo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ohoho! I get it! She is both stressed and a stressor! Very clever.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
what is with MGs and wanting to get within lapel-grabbing distance in a world of monsters with claws and teeth and venom

why isn't every street a boulevard with clear sightlines with a MG sniper nest parked at every intersection

e: this post is facetious to be clear

ronya fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 28, 2022

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

While I acknowledge that you're shitposting, I think if that did get addressed, it'd be because "a constant reminder that everyone is in a place that turns into a monster-infested hellhole every night that nobody can leave" is probably a very bad thing.

But it probably won't come up because, yeah, it's not that kind of story.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I am both concerned with what might happen if Anemone lost control, and yet I also want to see what happened the last time

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Getting the sad feeling that Anemone doesn't leave her room a lot for more reasons than just being quasi-omniscient and probably immortal :smith:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-20-page-6

Seems Bad

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Really Bad. Her magical regeneration is great and all, but does that matter if you are intangible to reality??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It feels like that monster's power would have weird interactions with Anemone's.