Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Found in the Schadenfreude thread

https://twitter.com/hoodfightsbruh/status/1528436425888174081?s=20&t=RJelevDbYvFi3lGAK-EvIw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Phanatic posted:

bootcloak.jpg

I had a cape about 12 years and 20 pounds ago and looked fantastic in it. Found it balled up in a duffel bag while prepping for a move recently. My wife thought I threw it away years ago (and honestly, so did I) but the precious always finds its way back, the precious does.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

If I knew capes were a thing, I would have worn one just to piss off my command.

Instead, I found a way to avoid wearing my dress uniform everytime.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Ahhh, the ol' Danny Bonaduce.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I just got my purple belt in BJJ this week gonna add that move to my game

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

You can find my new instructional video on what I'll be calling shaft guard hosted on youtube next week if you search "Secret Army Special Forces Death Grab Technique"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
military swordchat: in the olden days, there is a tradition in the army signal corps that the youngest enlisted soldier and the youngest officer in the signal corps cuts the cake with sabers at the signal ball in ft gordon ga.

i happened to be the youngest enlisted soldier in the army at that time

the youngest officer was desperately trying to impress and i was just 17 and way out of my depth.

so they gave us the swords, and I turned to the young butter bar and casually asked, "should we duel? en guard" he was like "no please be quiet"

"way to wuss out sir"

he became my platoon leader the next week.

ait was not enjoyable

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
What a dink, that sounds hilarious.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i was a stupid kid. but sword chat and dress uniform chat made me remember that

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I just got my purple belt in BJJ this week gonna add that move to my game

Realtalk congratulations on that achievement and please don’t hurt me

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I remember when they roughed us up to buy tickets to that loving thing (Signal Ball). It was not appreciated when I gave my opinion of how fun it'd be to dress up and go to a formal event with the same people I was forced to see at work and go to the field with.

I never did a Dining In or equivalent, either. Why the gently caress would I want to get drunk in front of my chain of command? Or with my chain of command? Or do anything but the minimum amount of face time so I can go home and spend time with my family?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
don't remember anything else about it other than my 1st sergeant and drill sergeants glaring at me while getting dragged to the c.g table and dealing with awkward 17 year old me getting grilled by the command staff of fort gordon in like 97 or something. probably said some stupid poo poo there too but hell if I remember

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

"Anyone not going to the ball will have duty the next day?"
"So normal and I don't have to spend 60$ to wear my uniform in offtime?"

Outside of a single incident outside of Basic training and a couple pictures, I don't know that I ever wore my class As.

I did get to embarrass my PSG in the Guard.?
"Who the fucks uniform is this Woody do you rate this poo poo?"
"Yeah. You'd know that if you read my 201. Like you are supposed to."
"Real loving smart. Guess who is doing Honor Guard tomorrow?!"
"Not me, I'm on profile."

And yet, I am still utterly shocked and confused at my career never getting off the launch pad.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bulletsponge13 posted:

"Anyone not going to the ball will have duty the next day?"
"So normal and I don't have to spend 60$ to wear my uniform in offtime?"

Outside of a single incident outside of Basic training and a couple pictures, I don't know that I ever wore my class As.

I got stuck as a Corps Staff Liaison Driver when I was on medical light duty. Class As or Bs and having to deal with Senators and Representatives on a daily basis. It was the worst.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I got stuck as a Corps Staff Liaison Driver when I was on medical light duty. Class As or Bs and having to deal with Senators and Representatives on a daily basis. It was the worst.

That sounds terrible.

I just made it clear I shouldn't be around anyone important.
"The General heard you say gently caress."
"Has he never heard the word before?"
"You can't say gently caress! It's unprofessional."
"I turn people into smears as a profession, but I can't say gently caress?"
"No, you can't. Not while you are assigned to the command section!"
"Well, that's loving stupid."
"See me after lunch for a Counseling Statement."
"Roger that, Big Guy."

I loved counseling statements after I learned that are meaningless. People would get mad that I'd write "I'm a direct reflection of my leadership" on negative statements, or that I had a stamp that said "Woody's Seal of Approval" with a thumbs up I would stamp them with.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

That sounds terrible.

I just made it clear I shouldn't be around anyone important.
"The General heard you say gently caress."
"Has he never heard the word before?"
"You can't say gently caress! It's unprofessional."
"I turn people into smears as a profession, but I can't say gently caress?"
"No, you can't. Not while you are assigned to the command section!"
"Well, that's loving stupid."
"See me after lunch for a Counseling Statement."
"Roger that, Big Guy."

I loved counseling statements after I learned that are meaningless. People would get mad that I'd write "I'm a direct reflection of my leadership" on negative statements, or that I had a stamp that said "Woody's Seal of Approval" with a thumbs up I would stamp them with.

You can't counsel someone whose career goal is to collect a DD214.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
I went to two military formals neither of which I paid for. Both times they didn't sell all the tickets so I got voluntold to go. and not gonna lie they were kind of fun. 1SG bought my beer because I was in line, I just had to get him one. Seeing my PSG and leadership drunk was actually funny. At the second one I was at the Joe table and I was hammered drunk, double fisting beers and everything. I guess SGM came over and told one of joes that we needed to keep quiet and he tried dimeing me out, bastard. Good times, and the reason I own a bowtie.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

You can find my new instructional video on what I'll be calling shaft guard hosted on youtube next week if you search "Secret Army Special Forces Death Grab Technique"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
My wife was to go to the MI ball in DC not long after she and I had started dating and her ASUs weren't set up yet. So at great expense she and I set about to get it done. I went to the exchange to get everything she needed (rank, collar disks, unit crests, ribbons, etc), she sewed on the chevrons and sleeve braid and I attached all the other bits. It was done on time, she got in her car and drove off, and I stayed at her apartment playing Mass Effect.

She came home a few hours later. I can't remember if they wouldn't let her in or if she'd been told to go to the wrong place, but either way she wasn't able to go.

Still, getting her ASUs set up did pay off. About a year later she got ADOS orders because the Army Corps of Engineers needed someone to work in one of their offices near Fort Meade who had a TS/SCI clearance and most days she wore Class As.

Then one day she mentioned she wished she could wear something to the office that would keep her warm but wasn't as uncomfortable to wear at a desk as her ASU jacket (which I remained in charge of maintaining as far as insignia went).

"Why don't you get the sweater?"

"What sweater?"

So I took her to the exchange and got her the pullover sweater and her ASU jacket stayed in the closet.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bulletsponge13 posted:

That sounds terrible.

XVIIIth ABN Corps so it was worse than you can imagine. They grabbed all their liaison drivers from division's gently caress-ups or walking wounded (I was waiting on my orders for Lewis which wouldn't clear until the Docs said my leg was good to go).

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Realtalk congratulations on that achievement and please don’t hurt me

Thank you my goal is to become the next Keenan Cornelius but instead of inventing ways to use the gi to create weird worm guard moves I’m going to grab dicks

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

You'll never be as cool or as stupid as this marine

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/mar...BOLgk2rJkTZln1s

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Holy poo poo the video about that duck Sgt is metal.

Saved from becoming dinner in New Zealand
Participated in amphibious assault in Tarawa
Received a purple heart for wounds sustained engaging and killing a Japanese chicken in beak-to-beak combat
Went on a war bonds drive stateside
Featured in Time magazine
Died in '54 from liver disease, probably because of her lifelong drinking

Goddrat

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 28, 2022

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Why am I unsurprised that the first decorated female marine (no, I won’t capitalize it) was a duck?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Not only would I have bought a cape if the AF had one, I would've gone to a loving AF Ball just to wear it. I'd have considered doing the same with a sword, but technically the only one authorized is the stupid saber the AF Academy uses, which is awful.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Godholio posted:

Not only would I have bought a cape if the AF had one, I would've gone to a loving AF Ball just to wear it. I'd have considered doing the same with a sword, but technically the only one authorized is the stupid saber the AF Academy uses, which is awful.

They call that a loving saber? Man, the USAF really can't do swords at all.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
They don't, actually. That's the air force NCO sword. Officers use the same saber as army officers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

You'll never be as cool or as stupid as this marine

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/mar...BOLgk2rJkTZln1s

He must listen to Alex Jones.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

A.o.D. posted:

They call that a loving saber? Man, the USAF really can't do swords at all.

AF out here fighting Sephiroth for your freedom and this is the thanks they get.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Just for the record I absolutely subscribe to the theory of inverse officer value to sword bling ratio.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That woman has the right idea.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GD_American posted:

That woman has the right idea.

That’s a goon’s aunt.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bunch of babies not willing to rock dress uniforms.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

McNally posted:

They don't, actually. That's the air force NCO sword. Officers use the same saber as army officers.

If we're gonna actually go down this road, the AF doesn't have an official sword/saber outside of honor guard duties. Not authorized beyond that. The Army saber is specified in the HG regs but isn't actually an AF thing - the lovely academy sword is the only one the AF had a hand in. I didn't really describe it very accurately because I didn't think anybody would care lol

I've actually got an M1902 saber, manufactured around 1925. I should look into getting it restored, it's got some weird corrosion on the scabbard and the blade is scuffed because the inside of the scabbard isn't in good shape.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

This thread and a few Budweisers gets the man wondering how much it would cost to have a knifemaker magic up a Kabar with a two-foot long blade. Two and a half feet of 1095 shouldn't be too difficult to work with, but the stacked leather handle might be a different story.

Oh, gently caress. Go all out. The whole mall-ninja sword set, but it's just Kabars. Tanto, wakizashi, katana. Sam Browne-style belts in buff leather, red and gold tassels with stupid challenge coins hanging off the ends.

What to make the display rack out of? Something idiotic and moto as gently caress. Wooden lava monster, arms outstretched, shellacked red and orange?

E: the tanto can rest atop the lava monster's cock and balls.

E2: engraved dick art EVERYWHERE, filled with gold crayon

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 29, 2022

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

I didn't know they made dress whites in your size.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

You have to put so much bullshit on an Army dress uniform.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

What's the point- to show off how many ribbons in your fruit salad? 2/3 of them are participation medals anyway in all the services. I don't get the point.

The only people who should wear dress uniforms are ceremonial dudes like Sentinels. And then I want the most pompous, overdone, powdered wig tricorner bullshit. With Sabers and flintlock pistols and poo poo. I want Central African Dictators to look at them and go, "gently caress, that's a little much".

I thought they were stupid, but I also think having a fresh haircut every week, starching your uniform, and shining boots are super dumb.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i always thought Navy whites looked sharp as f.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i always thought Navy whites looked sharp as f.

The USN never should've switched to camo from dungarees. Who the gently caress needs camo on a drat ship or in a dockyard?