Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

freebooter posted:

Has there at any point been significant community transmission in Jilin or Liaoning provinces? How much illegal cross-border traffic was there between North Korea and China up to 2019, let alone after 2020, when both countries increased their already harsh (by Western standards) impositions on both international and domestic movement?

There are still countries in the South Pacific which have never recorded a COVID death because they've either never recorded a case or have quickly quashed their outbreaks. Obviously they're comparatively tiny but I'm not sure I'd argue they're comparatively more isolated. North Korea, while a medium-sized country, is a full-on Orwellian autarky which drew the drawbridge even tighter after March 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd either never had an outbreak until now, or violently clamped down on any outbreaks before they could spread.

China spent the early weeks of COVID lying about it and suppressing information about it, allowing it to spread well beyond China's borders before they finally acknowledged it and took measures to control it. And North Korea, which borders China, is extremely good at lying about conditions within their borders and suppressing information, to the point where foreign observers often don't even have any idea whether its government officials are alive or not.

Thanks to that, it's impossible to know whether this is North Korea's first COVID outbreak or not. However, "they had COVID outbreaks before and were able to suppress the info about it" is just as likely (if not more likely) than "these are literally their first COVID cases ever, over two years after COVID started".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm hoping that my smallpox vaccination will help protect me from the next scourge. Looking forward to Republicans gathering naked in mud pits to rub against one another in a show of support for the monkey pox.

'The gays' spread it and its disfiguring so their inherent overly-tuned disgust reflexes will keep that from happening. Kind of hard to say monkeypox is just a flu or a hoax when you're covered in downright Biblical white pustules.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Could be some quick grifting opportunities going on right-wing TV shows to talk about the benefit of "monkeypox parties." Does Dr. Dick Trauma sound convincing?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Xombie posted:

You're the one who stated that they had "uncontrolled border traffic with China."

No, I said it was the only country they had any uncontrolled border traffic with, and it's still miniscule compared to i.e. US/Mexico. It's also largely one way.

Main Paineframe posted:

China spent the early weeks of COVID lying about it and suppressing information about it, allowing it to spread well beyond China's borders before they finally acknowledged it and took measures to control it. And North Korea, which borders China, is extremely good at lying about conditions within their borders and suppressing information, to the point where foreign observers often don't even have any idea whether its government officials are alive or not.

Thanks to that, it's impossible to know whether this is North Korea's first COVID outbreak or not. However, "they had COVID outbreaks before and were able to suppress the info about it" is just as likely (if not more likely) than "these are literally their first COVID cases ever, over two years after COVID started".

Within China, to my understanding, it never really spread much beyond Hubei province before they squelched it. It spread further once it got to Iran, Italy, the US etc because those countries didn't/couldn't bring to bear the resources needed to stop the spread.

It's precisely because North Korea is to some degree a failed state that I wouldn't be surprised if this is their first major outbreak, since I think (like Iran) they would've struggled to contain an earlier one.

Having said that, beyond it being a bit of a curiosity: who care

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

freebooter posted:

No, I said it was the only country they had any uncontrolled border traffic with, and it's still miniscule compared to i.e. US/Mexico. It's also largely one way.

This... does not contradict what I pointed out you saying.

The point is, if people could travel from China into North Korea, they could get Covid the exact same way the rest of the world did. There is also no evidence that North Korea has been spared from earlier outbreaks.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 24, 2022

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Xombie posted:

This... does not contradict what I pointed out you saying.

The point is, if people could travel from China into North Korea, they could get Covid the exact same way the rest of the world did.

Eh, that could just be dumb luck. It's not like China necessarily spread it all by themselves to every other country on earth, it seems way more plausible that it spread from China to a few places which in turn spread it to everywhere else.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

enki42 posted:

Eh, that could just be dumb luck. It's not like China necessarily spread it all by themselves to every other country on earth, it seems way more plausible that it spread from China to a few places which in turn spread it to everywhere else.

There is evidence that North Korea had covid as early as February 2020. They didn't close their border until January 2020.

Like anything with North Korea, the fact that they've never admitted to a major outbreak before isn't evidence that there wasn't one.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Yeah uh, North Korea is not someone that you can take at face value, and their infection and death rates likely are among the worst because the population is much less healthy, and the level of medical care is much less probably the majority of the worlds if not amount the absolute worst.

We likely will never have clear numbers because they likely don't either .

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Does Nth Korea have a young population? One of the big drivers is average age and in places such as Burkina Faso, life is hard enough that a few old people passing due to covid is barely noticeable amongst all the other causes of premature death.

In a place that is as heavily and routinely controlled as Nth Korea, I would not be surprised they are able to snuff out any outbreaks until the more virulent strains arrive at least.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Does Nth Korea have a young population? One of the big drivers is average age and in places such as Burkina Faso, life is hard enough that a few old people passing due to covid is barely noticeable amongst all the other causes of premature death.

In a place that is as heavily and routinely controlled as Nth Korea, I would not be surprised they are able to snuff out any outbreaks until the more virulent strains arrive at least.

North Korea appears to not be as young-oriented as one might suspect given its status. I can't find a recent good demographic breakdown, but most coverage agrees there's a middle-aged "bulge" in population in addition to the usual youth-elderly developing nation imbalance.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Did China have to institute lockdowns in provinces other than Wuhan during the initial outbreak?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

Did China have to institute lockdowns in provinces other than Wuhan during the initial outbreak?

I think it was just one other city in a province bordering Hubei (Wuhan is a city in Hubei, all of which were locked down at the start of 2020).

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Does Nth Korea have a young population?
Sort of. Both old people and babies died disproportionataly in the famine

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Hi, not a frequenter of the covid thread and I mostly lurk in D&D. I didn't notice if this recent article had been posted yet. It has some degree of technical jargon but I think it should be understandable (I have a background in biology but another area), the authors do a good job of making their point clear.

A call for an independent inquiry into the origin of the SARS-CoV-2 virus

I was kind of unaware that this line of questioning had gone on after the early days of the pandemic, but read the article because PNAS is a very prestigious academic publication. I figure there are probably people in this thread who are better informed than I am and might have some interesting commentary on some of what the article touches on, or will at least be interested in reading it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tosk posted:

Hi, not a frequenter of the covid thread and I mostly lurk in D&D. I didn't notice if this recent article had been posted yet. It has some degree of technical jargon but I think it should be understandable (I have a background in biology but another area), the authors do a good job of making their point clear.

I was kind of unaware that this line of questioning had gone on after the early days of the pandemic, but read the article because PNAS is a very prestigious academic publication. I figure there are probably people in this thread who are better informed than I am and might have some interesting commentary on some of what the article touches on, or will at least be interested in reading it.

It doesn't really say anything at all. It just claims that US public health authorities and universities haven't released enough info to conclusively prove they weren't secretly cooking up weaponized coronaviruses in China, and therefore all involved US organizations should submit their emails and lab notebooks for public review. Then it recycles some old claims about unfunded grant applications and decade-old genetic engineering projects, before rolling back to that.

The only thing besides that is the talk about furin cleavage sites, but that's not new at all - that's been a subject of argument between the pro-natural virus and pro-lab leak camps for months, if not years. I don't personally have the knowledge to evaluate these claims, but the anti-leak camp likes to point out that furin cleavage sites have independently evolved several times in other branches of the coronavirus family tree, and thus the same feature occuring in this branch is not by itself suspicious.

I didn't know till now that academic publications had an "Opinion" section, but my experience with Opinion pieces in other contexts are not especially positive.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Tosk posted:

PNAS isn't really a prestigious publication; it's generally a dumping ground for research from NAS members that can't be published somewhere field-specific. NAS regrettably has a long, long history of its resources being abused: see this long-term project on the subject I'm posting in the pseudoscience thread.

The authors are an anesthesiology professor and an economics professor. They are rehashing a conspiracy theory article that I wrote up at great length for a previous iteration of the thread. In fact, they thank Ebright, one of the people behind that prior article, for commenting on their manuscript. I don't have time atm but I suspect I'll find they've been affiliated with the lab leak poo poo for a long time.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 26, 2022

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's a rehash of tired old arguments that have already been debunked, and they're using the opinion section of seemingly-legitimate scientific publications to give their argument some clout. It was a load of crap then, and it's still a load of crap now. There is still no evidence supporting the lab leak notion, whereas there is a large, and growing body of evidence suggesting the virus came from nature.

This trick has also been pulled a few times to give antivax hit pieces some legitimacy.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Main Paineframe posted:

It doesn't really say anything at all. It just claims that US public health authorities and universities haven't released enough info to conclusively prove they weren't secretly cooking up weaponized coronaviruses in China, and therefore all involved US organizations should submit their emails and lab notebooks for public review. Then it recycles some old claims about unfunded grant applications and decade-old genetic engineering projects, before rolling back to that.

The only thing besides that is the talk about furin cleavage sites, but that's not new at all - that's been a subject of argument between the pro-natural virus and pro-lab leak camps for months, if not years. I don't personally have the knowledge to evaluate these claims, but the anti-leak camp likes to point out that furin cleavage sites have independently evolved several times in other branches of the coronavirus family tree, and thus the same feature occuring in this branch is not by itself suspicious.

I didn't know till now that academic publications had an "Opinion" section, but my experience with Opinion pieces in other contexts are not especially positive.

Discendo Vox posted:

PNAS isn't really a prestigious publication; it's generally a dumping ground for research from NAS members that can't be published somewhere field-specific. NAS regrettably has a long, long history of its resources being abused: see this long-term project on the subject I'm posting in the pseudoscience thread.

The authors are an anesthesiology professor and an economics professor. They are rehashing a conspiracy theory article that I wrote up at great length for a previous iteration of the thread. In fact, they thank Ebright, one of the people behind that prior article, for commenting on their manuscript. I don't have time atm but I suspect I'll find they've been affiliated with the lab leak poo poo for a long time.

I appreciate the corrections from both of you! I really haven't kept myself informed on the matter. I notice now the conspicuous absence of any mention in the article I linked that FCS have evolved in other coronaviruses.

I'll be reading the writeups you linked when I have a chance to sit down and dig into them. Sorry if I've posted a garbage article, but your posts make me glad I did!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'll note Sachs is the head of the Lancet covid-19 commission (not sure of their actual importance, his position looks a lot like a sinecure), and they're very definitely not involved with this publication.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

NoDamage posted:

...At that point you might as well be lamenting the fact that Paxlovid didn't exist in March 2020 if you're trying to think up fantasy scenarios that would have saved a million lives.

Speaking of which, I've been away for about 6 months and haven't been following pandemic related news, but my mom just tested positive. She's 65+, is fully vaccinated + two boosters, however she got the most recent booster about the same week that she probably contracted the virus. I'd heard there was an anti-viral pill on the market, but not much beyond that. What's the current consensus on it? From what I'm reading online it sounds pretty solid.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

Speaking of which, I've been away for about 6 months and haven't been following pandemic related news, but my mom just tested positive. She's 65+, is fully vaccinated + two boosters, however she got the most recent booster about the same week that she probably contracted the virus. I'd heard there was an anti-viral pill on the market, but not much beyond that. What's the current consensus on it? From what I'm reading online it sounds pretty solid.

It's good. Here a goon did a thread about how to get it easy from telehealth people

https://twitter.com/ToonyGoons/status/1524538401839628289

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Crossposting from the Ukraine-Russia war thread, Russian state propaganda is attempting to spin up a US-origin monkeypox conspiracy as well.

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1530191140263272451

I'll track down the original claim if I have time later today.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

PostNouveau posted:

It's good. Here a goon did a thread about how to get it easy from telehealth people

https://twitter.com/ToonyGoons/status/1524538401839628289

Don't gently caress up filling in your medications if / when you do this. Interactions are no joke with Paxlovid.

Better yet, if you're prescribed literally anything, talk to your doctor about whether you can take Paxlovid BEFORE you get COVID. This is not like "talk to your doctor before you exercise" bullshit, Paxlovid can send you to the ER when combined with some drugs.

Like for example, that survey lists solid organ transplants as a reason that you CAN take paxlovid, despite pretty much every standard anti-rejection med having extremely bad interactions.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 27, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

enki42 posted:

Don't gently caress up filling in your medications if / when you do this. Interactions are no joke with Paxlovid.

Better yet, if you're prescribed literally anything, talk to your doctor about whether you can take Paxlovid BEFORE you get COVID. This is not like "talk to your doctor before you exercise" bullshit, Paxlovid can send you to the ER when combined with some drugs.

Like for example, that survey lists solid organ transplants as a reason that you CAN take paxlovid, despite pretty much every standard anti-rejection med having extremely bad interactions.

that's not really accurate and some would say misleading! These therapies work, that's why they are FDA-approved and doctor-recommended. Harrumphing about a few rare side effects or drug interactions is not telling the whole picture. All these medications are obligated to report every yahoo that feels an itch. Go and read the side effects for aspirin... Yeah. Exactly.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

that's not really accurate and some would say misleading! These therapies work, that's why they are FDA-approved and doctor-recommended. Harrumphing about a few rare side effects or drug interactions is not telling the whole picture. All these medications are obligated to report every yahoo that feels an itch. Go and read the side effects for aspirin... Yeah. Exactly.

It's not harrumphing to point out the fact that Paxlovid has some serious medication interactions and Blackadder's mom should consult with her doctor to make sure it's safe. That does not make Paxlovid a bad or ineffective drug, in fact it's really amazing if taken early in a COVID infection.

I don't understand your desire to handwave away interactions and side effects, it's bad medical advice.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah we looked into it for my transplant recipient wife and it’s clearly a no-go. Goons should not be lying about their medical history to get a prescription.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah we looked into it for my transplant recipient wife and it’s clearly a no-go. Goons should not be lying about their medical history to get a prescription.

Nobody said to lie about it. The twitter thread linked says to be very thorough and accurate with what you tell them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Nobody said to lie about it. The twitter thread linked says to be very thorough and accurate with what you tell them.

Well the poster responding so negatively to a post reminding people to be honest about their health history and saying most of the side effect reports are bullshit anyway certainly seemed to imply it'd be worth throwing caution to the wind.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I'm saying talk to your doctor. I'm by no means saying don't take Paxlovid. I keep going back to the transplant one since I'm familiar with it. Paxlovid is considered OK to take with tacrolimus (probably the most prescribed anti-rejection med) IF you cease taking tacrolimus for a week. For anyone who's a solid organ transplant recipient, outside of like identical twins or something, stopping anti-rejection meds for 7 days is insanely, insanely risky. (like basically the cost of taking Paxlovid is graft rejection level).

Not stopping tacro will push the levels of tacrolimus in your blood stream to extremely dangerous levels, so you can kill your kidney instead of rejecting it (or if you have some other organ, get CKD on top of being a transplant recipient!)

And that's not even something that's on the contra-indication list.

100% absolutely you should take Paxlovid if you can, just make sure you can first!

enki42 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 28, 2022

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Follow this goons advice if you want to kill your mum

Jesus Christ

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
And even with drugs like Aspirin or Tylenol, you should absolutely not take them if they are contra-indicated for any reason, because they can be quite dangerous for some people. The general level of safety for a given medication does not have any particular link to how benign or dangerous it might be for any one specific person.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I mean, if aspirin was discovered 5 years ago I feel like you would need a prescription for it rather than it being a generic OTC drug used for pain that can also cause Reye's syndrome when given to kids. Just because its ubiquitous doesn't mean it is actually always safe.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
speaking of over the counter drugs that terrify me, acetominophen; can't imagine that if it were released in like 2003 it'd be possible to get it OTC considering how much it loves frying livers

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, the effective and hepatotoxic doses for tylenol are way too close for my comfort.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Craig K posted:

speaking of over the counter drugs that terrify me, acetominophen; can't imagine that if it were released in like 2003 it'd be possible to get it OTC considering how much it loves frying livers

It absolutely would not be available in the doses or comixed like it is.

Tylenol is the number one cause of overdoses (after heroin and fent but those are typically accidental and not intentional) precisely because people know it can kill you, just without understanding exactly how loving awful liver failure is. And by loving god I don't wish liver failure on anyone after seeing it so much.

Worst is when we have young kids come in, and find out that took 50 or more grams the day prior. By that point the damage is far far along. The emergency medicine book we had in the ed literally had an entire chapter dedicated to Tylenol overdose treatment.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

UCS Hellmaker posted:

It absolutely would not be available in the doses or comixed like it is.

Tylenol is the number one cause of overdoses (after heroin and fent but those are typically accidental and not intentional) precisely because people know it can kill you, just without understanding exactly how loving awful liver failure is. And by loving god I don't wish liver failure on anyone after seeing it so much.

Worst is when we have young kids come in, and find out that took 50 or more grams the day prior. By that point the damage is far far along. The emergency medicine book we had in the ed literally had an entire chapter dedicated to Tylenol overdose treatment.

wtf they took 250 goddamn pills?? :stonk:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Paracetamol pills are 500mg here as standard so you need only 100. That's two large boxes. It's not that hard.

Awful awful way to go through.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MrUnderbridge posted:

Yeah, the effective and hepatotoxic doses for tylenol are way too close for my comfort.

I’ve never really had any issue following the instructions on the bottle and alternating with ibuprofen when I’m running a fever. You’re not supposed to pour it in your mouth until you feel like you’ve got enough.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 29, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Let's wrap up the tylenol etc derail, I think the point about consulting your doctor on drug interactions and side effects has been well made by several posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Do not loving take paxlovid or encourage others to if you or they are on ANY other medication without consulting your doctor.

Ritonavir which is one part of the pavlovid drug combo does nothing to covid it specifically is used to increase blood concentrations of medications, in this case it is being used to boost the nirmatrelvir component of paxlovid but it also has that effect on many other medications some of which can kill you if combined with it.