Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

RedOxx has some nice and rugged messenger bag and laptop options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I like my Briggs and Riley laptop bag. Discount through Costco’s website.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I am a Tumi loyalist and have a 10+ year old laptop bag and an 8+ year old duffle that I love dearly. Lots of varied bag opinions in this thread, a lot of it comes down to style choices.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Aer makes nice, highly functional stuff, if you don’t mind the aesthetic of “all black everything”

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Ardlen posted:

RedOxx has some nice and rugged messenger bag and laptop options.

I have a Sky Train as a travel backpack and the CPA laptop briefcase. They have put up with 5 years of constant travel and two years of lighter use. And they look close to brand new.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Aer makes nice, highly functional stuff, if you don’t mind the aesthetic of “all black everything”

I just got the small Travel Pack 3 and I really like it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I went to the Tumi store on Regent Street today, they have some really nice stuff. Almost pulled the trigger on one of their cases, but couldn't quite bring myself to drop that much on a bag. I'll have to dwell on it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I was resistant to getting good luggage for a long time but it really is worth it to not have little hassles and breakages all the time when you do a lot of travel.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We flew out of the Atlanta airport for the first time on Sunday and the pre-check security area is just ludicrously huge. Like line space for a thousand times more people than were actually in line. Does anyone know what’s going on there?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

smackfu posted:

We flew out of the Atlanta airport for the first time on Sunday and the pre-check security area is just ludicrously huge. Like line space for a thousand times more people than were actually in line. Does anyone know what’s going on there?

try going at a different time than the middle of a holiday weekend and the reason for that space will probably become apparent to you

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah the rest of the airport seemed quite busy but I guess it was all leisure travelers with no precheck. And general chaos from Delta cancelling random flight.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

smackfu posted:

Yeah the rest of the airport seemed quite busy but I guess it was all leisure travelers with no precheck. And general chaos from Delta cancelling random flight.

That's exactly it. ATL can get nuts at certain times of the day, which is when Clear (and its attendant personal data risks) can be very helpful.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Do ya'll find Clear to be worth the cost? I fly probably 2x a month with DEN as my home terminal. I have TSA Pre and I'm finding the whole north security gate is being converted to pre due to the number of people flying with it now. I fly with AV equipment and multiple laptops at times, so the ability to go through w/o pulling out everything is a godsend for me.
I think I get a reimbursement on GlobalEntry from my credit card, but I don't think that really helps me avoid the line.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's free for me, otherwise I would not buy it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's free for me, otherwise I would not buy it.

:same:

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I bought CLEAR because I would otherwise not made it out of BHM on time, and I’ll be travelling there intermittently for the foreseeable future. None of my other major spots use it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm on the new Crossrail / Elizabeth line to Heathrow, it's £2.60 instead of £36 for the Heathrow Express. gently caress the Heathrow Express.

Wow Heathrow T2 was an absolute disaster. Huge queues, no information, clueless staff. After queueing for an hour I got an airport employee to let me cut the queue. Got to the front eventually and the bag check person said I should have just walked up as I have a business ticket. Aaagh! At least fast track security was swift.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 1, 2022

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Isn't the Heathrow Express way faster?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you specifically want to go to paddington, sure. crossrail actually has multiple useful stops and connections.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Heathrow Express Paddington to LHR is 15 minutes
The Elizabeth Line, formerly TFL Rail, formerly Heathrow Connect is 30 minutes and since 2018 has Oyster/Contactless tap in/out that works out the cheapest ticket automatically for you depending on where else in London you've been that day/week.

It's even the same physical rail, the Lizzy line just stops at 5 other stations in between

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you specifically want to go to paddington, sure. crossrail actually has multiple useful stops and connections.

got it, I hadn't considered that. The $30 extra on train ride to save 15 minutes just seems so small compared to how much some people ITT spend on travel overall.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Doccykins posted:

The Elizabeth Line, formerly TFL Rail, formerly Heathrow Connect is 30 minutes and since 2018 has Oyster/Contactless tap in/out that works out the cheapest ticket automatically for you depending on where else in London you've been that day/week.

It's even the same physical rail, the Lizzy line just stops at 5 other stations in between

it also continues on past paddington which is particularly useful to me as i have to go to an office in Holborn

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Doccykins posted:

Wait a minute. So the Elizabeth Line is the same line as TfL Rail except even worse (more stops)? Truly an empire in decline.

I took the TfL recently when the Tube workers went on strike and locked all the stations. That was pandemonium on a weekday.

deong posted:

Do ya'll find Clear to be worth the cost? I fly probably 2x a month with DEN as my home terminal. I have TSA Pre and I'm finding the whole north security gate is being converted to pre due to the number of people flying with it now. I fly with AV equipment and multiple laptops at times, so the ability to go through w/o pulling out everything is a godsend for me.
I think I get a reimbursement on GlobalEntry from my credit card, but I don't think that really helps me avoid the line.

CLEAR is good for non-DL hubs. At DL hubs I've seen the CLEAR line often longer than the non-CLEAR Precheck line, and often slower.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 1, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

deong posted:

I’m curious about this as well. I never considered CLEAR until I started living in denver where it seems to be a thing?

Is CLEAR an evil company?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I’m curious about this as well. I never considered CLEAR until I started living in denver where it seems to be a thing?

Is CLEAR an evil company?

I mean......to have the kind of access to information they have as a private company, be accepted to certify that people are cleared through security as a private company.......how do you think that happened? Do you think you would be able to start up a competitor or was this all lobbyists and payoffscampaign contributions?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

one of clear's core competencies is selling your data to third parties

another of their core competencies is having your biometric data get breached

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

I mean......to have the kind of access to information they have as a private company, be accepted to certify that people are cleared through security as a private company.......how do you think that happened? Do you think you would be able to start up a competitor or was this all lobbyists and payoffscampaign contributions?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

one of clear's core competencies is selling your data to third parties

another of their core competencies is having your biometric data get breached

Ok guys thanks we'll stick to Precheck.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You can get both Precheck and Clear though I wouldn't get the latter unless it's free.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

asur posted:

You can get both Precheck and Clear though I wouldn't get the latter unless it's free.

I wouldn't get Clear if I was paid to take it.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it also continues on past paddington which is particularly useful to me as i have to go to an office in Holborn

They haven't finished that bit yet, you still have to change at Paddington until October (so January)

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
The US government already has your biometrics through Global Entry; I'm not sure if they're particularly more less prone to having the data breached than CLEAR? Not sure about TSA Pre

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Doccykins posted:

They haven't finished that bit yet, you still have to change at Paddington until October (so January)

oh, that's annoying! i thought it all got opened at once

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i fly airplanes posted:

The US government already has your biometrics through Global Entry; I'm not sure if they're particularly more less prone to having the data breached than CLEAR? Not sure about TSA Pre

I figured the government already had all my poo poo, so giving them biometrics specifically wasn’t a big deal. Bothers me giving to a private company that for some reason is the only one trusted to replace part of what the TSA does and definitely won’t do anything untoward with my biometrics, no sir!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Yeah I've had a credit for clear for over 2 years that I haven't used because as the kids say, it's sus.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's pretty convenient but in order for them to convince me it took having done a 2 day trip to china so i was all hosed up on sleep deprivation and had a four hour layover when they hit me up to use my free benefit in the skyclub

i probably wouldn't have otherwise but what's done is done

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I know I probably agreed to it at some point, but it weirded me out the first time I flew Delta and they scanned my biometrics instead of my ticket.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It’s less replacing an aspect of the tsa and more just cutting you to the front of the line. Maybe I just don’t respect the person matching you to your id photo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

keevo posted:

I know I probably agreed to it at some point, but it weirded me out the first time I flew Delta and they scanned my biometrics instead of my ticket.

I opt out of this despite using clear regularly for reasons I don’t fully understand.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Holy poo poo why is flying to Seattle from Chicago SO expensive? How’s Alaskan Air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

taco show posted:

Holy poo poo why is flying to Seattle from Chicago SO expensive? How’s Alaskan Air?

flying everywhere is expensive now