Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Nihonniboku posted:

Twin Peaks The Return was an investment, but one of the best things I've ever seen. I really hope for a 4th season.

It ended perfectly.

I'd be down for a 4th season, but it doesn't feel necessary. I'm more interested in Wisteria or whatever that cancelled Netflix project was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I must've seen Station Eleven mentioned in this thread. well thanks for that! it's been kind of a fun watch so far. nice to see folks getting along okay after the apocalypse (sometimes).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Field Mousepad posted:

The Letterkenny spin off Shoresy

What the gently caress.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
"George Carlin's American Dream" on HBOMax was better than I thought it would be.

Didn't realize George's life was so tumultuous during so much of his adult years.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I love Party Down but has any show done the 'came back a decade later and was as good as the original' thing successfully

Genuinely cannot think of even a single example

Deadwood movie was great. Maybe not “as good” but that’s a high bar.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

There's going to be a third season - they finished filming it in March.

Ok well I didn't specifically say I'd be mad if there was a third season...

e What We Do in the Shadows though, work all those people until they're dead, I want as many seasons as Gray's Anatomy

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Exciting news in the world of streaming

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/donald-trump-streaming-service-podcasts-news-1235155352/amp/

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Season 2 confirmed?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Fullest House

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Last Man Standing: Stand Your Ground

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

They can host Arrested Development season 12 or whatever

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oh no Capital Critters!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
so is Obi Wan Kenobi worth subbing to the Mouse or what

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It's fine so far but nothing mind blowing. If you're not a Star Wars fan I would probably wait a few more episodes and check out some reviews.

The Mandolorian might be worth a sub though

Field Mousepad fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 28, 2022

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Obi-Wan: I personally found the writing to be terrible in the first couple of episodes, and the show isn't great. It's just kind of sloppy and unnecessary. They're just filling in story gaps and not really innovating anything in my opinion.

Stranger Things S4 is great though. I actually think the model of releasing 80% then letting it stew for a minute before releasing the last 2 eps is kind of a great idea. But drat, these episodes are long.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

precision posted:

It’s one of those youtube Trekkie fanfilms that manage to rope in some of the original actors, but with a projected runtime of roughly five hours.

Two episodes in, the best I can say is that it’s not yet clear whether it or the Boba Fett show is the absolute nadir of live-action Star Wars.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I quit just halfway through the first ep of Obi Wan. I'll probably give it another go but it's boring and the writing is bad.

Some of the writing is just 101 poo poo. The inquisitors show up and and a bartender "do you know who we are?" And he answers with this clearly expository description meant directly for the viewer. I hate that kind of writing that doesn't trust itself to develop a story and characters.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yeah. That sounds like a Star Wars.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

precision posted:

There is a hard limit as to how bad watching Ewan McGregor do literally anything for 2 hours can be. I enjoyed it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't watched it yet, but the Mandalorian dipped in quality pretty hard then that Boba Fett show was just god awful. I'm already apprehensive about future Disney SW television programming.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but the Mandalorian dipped in quality pretty hard then that Boba Fett show was just god awful. I'm already apprehensive about future Disney SW television programming.

I feel like mando and most of the season of boba just ended up going super hard on fan service catnip. (Obi Wan is this as well)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Finally we can get more That’s My Bush! thanks trump network!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's time to bring back Crossballs

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

Finally we can get more That’s My Bush! thanks trump network!

One of these days Laura, I'm gonna punch you in the face

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Some of the writing is just 101 poo poo. The inquisitors show up and and a bartender "do you know who we are?" And he answers with this clearly expository description meant directly for the viewer.

Yeah, that was the first time I paused and wandered away for a few hours. It's happened twice more since then and I'm just over halfway through the first episode.

Seems like one of those things where if your goal is to spend some more time hanging out in the Star Wars universe it delivers. But if you're looking for a good narrative, well, you should probably know better at this point.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Glottis posted:

Obi-Wan: I personally found the writing to be terrible in the first couple of episodes, and the show isn't great. It's just kind of sloppy and unnecessary. They're just filling in story gaps and not really innovating anything in my opinion.

So the entirety of Disney SW

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I absolutely loved Mando s1 and 2, so according to this thread I'll love Obi Wan as well!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BisterdDave posted:

I absolutely loved Mando s1 and 2, so according to this thread I'll love Obi Wan as well!

The 2.5 seasons of Manderlorian (including episodes 5-7 of Boba Book) range from “adequate” to “excellent”.

Obiwan and Boba, overall, are egregiously bad.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I still remember it being 1998 or so and being absolutely certain that the new star wars was gonna be great, because all the star wars I had seen up to that point were great, and that George Lucas was runnin' the whole show. It was gonna be great!

I also remember thinking well into my twenties, even after sort of staring confusedly through the three prequel movies, "If only there were Star Wars TV shows."

Got what I wished for, and it's pretty good at certain points. A lot of inescapable entertainment these days is in this category. Pretty good at certain points.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Obi has the worst parents who couldn't be bothered to actually use their wealth, power, or own time to handle a nightmare scenario

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

New Star Wars is goofy as all hell. Just like old star war

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s one of those youtube Trekkie fanfilms that manage to rope in some of the original actors, but with a projected runtime of roughly five hours.

Two episodes in, the best I can say is that it’s not yet clear whether it or the Boba Fett show is the absolute nadir of live-action Star Wars.
The absolute nadir of live-action Star Wars is the second Ewok movie.

The absolute pinnacle of live-action Star Wars is the first Ewok movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Obi-Wan did the thing that Book of Boba Fett did, which is to shoot the action so ineptly that it becomes tiresome. They can't even keep the threat level consistent, so there are no stakes at all. Hardened mercenaries fail to capture a jogging 10 year old because they comically slip on a twig or literally run into a tree branch that is plainly in front of them. Participants in a gun fight suddenly stop shooting and vanish, only to reappear at a dramatically appropriate moment to get owned.

Imagine if Vader suddenly slipped on a convenient puddle of bacta in the middle of the Cloud City fight so that Luke could escape him, or Storm Troopers were unable to beat teddy bears armed with sticks and stones and ropes. Oh that last part actually happened and the fans griped endlessly about it and let it overshadow the incredible Vader/Luke rematch? Cool, they made a whole show of that and there's no actual dramatic scene with stakes to counterbalance it, so the end result is that there's no thrills, no chills, and no spills. You're watching bad choreography on bad greenscreened sets where undertrained actors stiffly hit their beats.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I like the second Ewok movie a lot

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
To me it's noticeably worse than the average Disney Star Wars media, or maybe I'm just now getting fully tired of it. It's just so incredibly phoned in.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I realize they don't have a lot of leeway for the location on Obi Wan, but I am so ready for Tatooine to get blown up by a death star. Canonically the most boring and backwards planet in the galaxy, so lets set 90% of all Star Wars media there.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Disney Star Wars has largely sucked and been lame. Put me in charge it would be sick dude

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I would just remake Dredd 2012 but with rodians and assassin droids basically

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s literally impossible to make a Star War with new ideas in it. It can’t be done. At minimum you have to feature some bit character from the original movies who travels to Tattooine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Btw I watched the Keanu 47 ronin movie and it was sick

I also found a movie about Bobby Moynihan being a manchild camp counselor doofus and enjoyed that too. A lot

You can’t stop me from liking things so don’t even try. I roll around in garbage like a raccoon

I watched Batman and was mostly just confused. It went on and on and on and then stopped

I’m halfway thru RRR nobody spoil it

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 29, 2022