Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sonic Advance isn't even in the bottom three worst sonic games on the gba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sonic Battle is bad

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the best sonic game is bubsy in claws encounters of the furred kind

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The only truly bad Sonic game on the GBA is Sonic Genesis.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The best sonic game is that inspired by one that has a knock off blaze as the main character and is grim dark

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtedaHoKUUQ

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 28, 2022

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Sonic Advance 1 is great & should've been called Sonic 4.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I'm the Escape From the City midi

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the advance games have such good music, lovely GBA speakers be damned

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Those are pretty impressive graphics for a DS. I wonder why Rush ended up being as low poly as it did, given that there's pretty minimal 3D involved.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The DS was the Saturn of its era with really ugly 3D but really good 2D. Sonic Rush should’ve used sprites is what I’m getting at

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Those are pretty impressive graphics for a DS. I wonder why Rush ended up being as low poly as it did, given that there's pretty minimal 3D involved.

probably because the tech demo is a single character model of Sonic that takes up 80% of the screen real estate doing laps on an empty circular track with aggressive motion blur to make it look like he’s going fast.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's prerendered video. This game never existed

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I have a vague recollection that the DS pre-release had a lot of weird, proof-of-concept demos like that that never materialized into something more.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

sonic 3D blast is the worst game

wot about sonic blast?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

think it's called sonic regular blast in some markets

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

In Japan Sonic Blast is called G Sonic, as in, “Gee Sonic, how come you’re so ugly?”

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I've already got a grid permanently etched into every DS and 3DS I've owned from Meteos and Picross, I'd hate to see what a full game of that tech demo would have done.

The early DS was wild. Full-game co-op was shown off for NSMB and SM64 DS (called Super Mario 64x4 back then). The multiplayer was stripped down to just versus modes, but both came with a ton of great minigames. Somehow a game that looked like Metroid Prime in the Quake software renderer let you play deathmatch wirelessly and with near-mouse precision at 60fps.

There were a lot of full price releases that did come from those tech demos. I love games like Electroplankton, but I tried a friend's copy of Yoshi Touch & Go and couldn't believe he paid full price for this. Should have been a bonus mode in a proper Yoshi game (although they were awful at the time due to Artoon being trusted with the series for whatever reason).

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sonic 3D Blast is the Mega Drive game where you collect flickies from an isometric perspective, with a pretty good soundtrack that had bits recycled into Sonic Adventure. It's not very good

Sonic Blast is the Game Gear game that tries to do a Donkey Kong Country on a system that was on its last legs. It is utterly miserable

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they're both bad

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

That loving Sned posted:

I've already got a grid permanently etched into every DS and 3DS I've owned from Meteos and Picross, I'd hate to see what a full game of that tech demo would have done.

The early DS was wild. Full-game co-op was shown off for NSMB and SM64 DS (called Super Mario 64x4 back then). The multiplayer was stripped down to just versus modes, but both came with a ton of great minigames. Somehow a game that looked like Metroid Prime in the Quake software renderer let you play deathmatch wirelessly and with near-mouse precision at 60fps.

There were a lot of full price releases that did come from those tech demos. I love games like Electroplankton, but I tried a friend's copy of Yoshi Touch & Go and couldn't believe he paid full price for this. Should have been a bonus mode in a proper Yoshi game (although they were awful at the time due to Artoon being trusted with the series for whatever reason).

Was real jealous of all the people in my school that could afford a PSP since they got great looking standard games and could watch movies at lunchtime but I was stuck with weird DS tech demos until Meteos, Castlevania, and Kirby Canvas Curse came out and flipped the script

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they're both bad

yes

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Boba Pearl posted:

The best sonic game is that inspired by one that has a knock off blaze as the main character and is grim dark

What is this

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I liked the Director's Cut, which I am classing as semi-official given that the director made it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Rush has cool level intro screens with the silhouette thing. The game has a style and goes for it which you can't say for like Sonic 4.

I'm curious how it'd look upscaled with MelonDS. Kind of waiting for someone to get texture injection/replacement working on a DS emulator for an excessive 4k texture upscale.

hatty posted:

The DS was the Saturn of its era with really ugly 3D but really good 2D. Sonic Rush should’ve used sprites is what I’m getting at

Someone at Nintendo's R&D had to be really loving brave to put two processors in the DS after the Saturn.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

What is this

Freedom Planet probably.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is freedom planet all that grimdark? I remember it being very like fan fic trying really hard to be serious vibes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Is freedom planet all that grimdark? I remember it being very like fan fic trying really hard to be serious vibes

there's a fairly lengthy torture scene

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oxxidation posted:

there's a fairly lengthy torture scene

that's why it's called war, carol

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah I didn't think it was Freedom Planet at first but I forgot how over-the-top serious the antagonist is.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic blast is impressively hideous but once you get past the graphics it's fine, middle of the road as far as the game gear games go. eggman's goku bot is funny though

hatty posted:

they do in the endings! frustrating :argh:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Freedom Planet literally started as a game about someone’s Sonic OCs, so the fanfic-y story isn’t surprising. Fun game though.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Freedom Planet was a fun game but hoo boy did those cutscenes drag. Even the ones that didn't feature extended torture scenes just felt aimless and way too long.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

Freedom Planet was a fun game but hoo boy did those cutscenes drag. Even the ones that didn't feature extended torture scenes just felt aimless and way too long.

The game does give you the option to turn off the plot and just play through the stages at least.

Also did Freedom Planet 2 ever come out? And if so, was it any better?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

The game does give you the option to turn off the plot and just play through the stages at least.

Freedom Planet 2 is still in Development, the devs are ambitious. The Current planned Release date is September 13, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Larryb posted:

https://twitter.com/galaxytrail/status/1505279634547617799

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, do we have any recent footage of the game then?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

No, just screenshots

https://twitter.com/galaxytrail/status/1505951800498794499

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KingKalamari posted:

Well you can play without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Ah, do we have any recent footage of the game then?

You can play a Demo.