Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Yikes between babu frick and the morbheads you folks are just begging for garbage to eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Tiberius Christ posted:

babu frick and the morbheads

with their chart-topping hit 'superfrik'!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I already am eating from the trash can all the time. Might as well have babu be there

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tiberius Christ posted:

Yikes between babu frick and the morbheads you folks are just begging for garbage to eat

gonna cry?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tiberius Christ posted:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Between all the pudgy white people, the lights in the background, and those sticks (I assume $300 lightsaber toys) they're carrying I thought for a second these were from that Nazi rally in America a few years ago

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Popoto posted:

i know everyone is busy with the stellar conflict discussion, but how is ep 1 of new stranger things? is it the same loving story again for a fourth time? i wouldn't put it past them.

Essentially.

The first two episodes are good but then it starts to drag.

Mild spoilers for the general plot of Season 4 Part 1:

Eleven doesn't have her powers anymore so she spends the bulk of season in a secret government lab trying to get them back, Hopper is stuck in a Russian prison and Winona Ryder is working on breaking him out, a demon is killing high schoolers one by one (none of the important cast), the kids are split between Indiana and California crews but are ultimately doing the same thing as the other seasons where they try to figure out how the monster works and defeat it

There are enough new characters to keep it feeling somewhat fresh, but it's very long. And it's just the first half of the season too, apparently the second half is coming out in July.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Stranger Things S1 felt so novel and sPoOpY and original and I never made it past the first episode of season 2, it just seemed like a total husk of itself immediately. Can’t believe that these kids are still in bikes solving mysteries like 7 years later

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Stranger Things S1 felt so novel and sPoOpY and original and I never made it past the first episode of season 2, it just seemed like a total husk of itself immediately. Can’t believe that these kids are still in bikes solving mysteries like 7 years later

Yep

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I was bored of Stranger Things (should have been a movie) after season 1. You're saying they not only made 4 seasons but they've all got the same plot?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

ashpanash posted:

I was bored of Stranger Things (should have been a movie) after season 1. You're saying they not only made 4 seasons but they've all got the same plot?

These monsters are more. And morer.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah they stick too close to the formula. I still like it, but they're ultimately just figuring out how their superpowered friend can kill the monster of the season every season. And it's allllllll monsters from the Upside Down every season.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

poisonpill posted:

I’m going to pretend that Kathleen Kennedy is frantically reading this thread for ideas

I hope she is and I genuinely hope my insults made her cry irl

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

kalel posted:

thanks for reminding me of this. I'll never get over that scene tbh, I stayed up all night reading the book the day it came out and just started yelling at the pages when I read the name "Albus Severus Potter"
Harry knelt down and placed a reassuring hand on his son's shoulder. He calmly explained, "I lost a bet."

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Mozi posted:

with their chart-topping hit 'superfrik'!

He's a very frik-y babu, the kind you don't take home to mothma

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

First of May posted:

He's a very frik-y babu, the kind you don't take home to mothma

very good

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Was Stanger Things originally supposed to be an anthology series or was that just a rumor/assumption?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Mordja posted:

Was Stanger Things originally supposed to be an anthology series or was that just a rumor/assumption?

I actually have my original treatment plan that I wrote right after watching season one. Let me just find it
*puts in glasses, flips pages, finds one that just has written in big red ink “CANCEL”*

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Yes. It was gonna have big time skips and each season would involve new characters running into government experiments gone awry. Netflix shot the creators down and told them to keep going with Eleven and the 80s nostalgia.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Netflix exists to launder money and pawn its young actresses off on abusers*

* the word "allegedly" belatedly appears under this braodcast as if the editor was a bit asleep at the wheel on not getting sued

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PostNouveau posted:

Yes. It was gonna have big time skips and each season would involve new characters running into government experiments gone awry. Netflix shot the creators down and told them to keep going with Eleven and the 80s nostalgia.
This always happens with shows

Heroes was supposed to be an anthology show, but the first season was so well received that they couldn't move forward with that idea. Which is unfortunate because Season 1 is the high point of the entire franchise.

I want to say that the original plan for Star Trek Discovery under original showrunner Bryan Fuller was to do more of an anthology thing as well, but then he left the show

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

pirates of the Caribbean 1: still good. in case anyone was wondering

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kalel posted:

classic. I love it. The makings of on the dvds are incredible

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

kalel posted:

Yeah I rewatched it a few years ago and it's great. Too bad about literally the rest of the franchise though

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

poisonpill posted:

Netflix exists to launder money and pawn its young actresses off on abusers*

* the word "allegedly" belatedly appears under this braodcast as if the editor was a bit asleep at the wheel on not getting sued

Has Drake married her yet?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Has Drake married her yet?

fuckin' yikes, I did not know about this

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

'Proudly'

What the gently caress

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah the Canadian rapper dude was like 30 when he "befriended" a 12 year old he'd never met but saw on TV and had a network of Hollywood attorneys and managers get him in touch with her so he could give her advice about what men like in a girl.

What? Why's everyone frantically calling the FBI?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Fleshlight/status/1530312103038537741

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
https://mobile.twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/1530239905032437762
I'm just realizing how deliberate this had to have been
so many conscious decisions had to have been made

I'm thinking of a trick shot from Scream that appears to go from a vertical dolly to a steadicam without cutting, and Wes Craven said that to do it they had a cherrypicker brought in and actually raised a steadicam operator up on the cherry picker, then lowered it and had him climb off of it, just to get this shot that most people wouldn't even notice was normally impossible, but it looked great and helps kinda set the mood

I think this was supposed to be an impossible shot like that
they go from moving out from the window (which, props for pulling this off, it looks like a dolly zoom at first blush but I don't think it is) backward through this choreographed group child tai chi thing, to momentarily stationary, to shaky cam, all in the same take
you can almost picture how somebody wanted it to feel, this tranquil, smooth, meditative shot devolving into chaos, but it just doesn't work

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

PostNouveau posted:

And it's just the first half of the season too, apparently the second half is coming out in July.

That's what it sounded like originally, but I think it's just 2 more episodes in July. Of course, each one is like 2 hours long.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cubone posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/1530239905032437762
I'm just realizing how deliberate this had to have been
so many conscious decisions had to have been made

I'm thinking of a trick shot from Scream that appears to go from a vertical dolly to a steadicam without cutting, and Wes Craven said that to do it they had a cherrypicker brought in and actually raised a steadicam operator up on the cherry picker, then lowered it and had him climb off of it, just to get this shot that most people wouldn't even notice was normally impossible, but it looked great and helps kinda set the mood

I think this was supposed to be an impossible shot like that
they go from moving out from the window (which, props for pulling this off, it looks like a dolly zoom at first blush but I don't think it is) backward through this choreographed group child tai chi thing, to momentarily stationary, to shaky cam, all in the same take
you can almost picture how somebody wanted it to feel, this tranquil, smooth, meditative shot devolving into chaos, but it just doesn't work

You wouldn't happen to have a link to the Scream scene?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1530712746001432576

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

God, in both episodes they had chase scenes with that toddler playing Leia running through the forest/crowds and pretending she wouldn't be extraordinarily easy to catch both times.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Omg, that is so much worse than I imagined

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I see they're taking a page out of Stargate when it comes to saving on production.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

cody made the best star wars in recent years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5MTIIou56Y

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Halfway through A Simple Plan and what I'm learning is don't enter into a criminal conspiracy with two infuriatingly dumb guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I know this is a screen recording which ruins the quality but this really looks like a Youtube fan film