Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Apraxin posted:

yeah, gently caress me this is repulsive

'they're probably just doing it for attention or something, smack some sense into them'
And of course trans men don't exist, because it doesn't sound as scary talking about wearing trousers.

e: Jamie Oliver wants to ban 241 deals on monster munch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Small children wore dresses because diapers. Being "breeched" was a rite of childhood; a boy wore his first pants while a girl stayed in dresses. Pretty good article here.

I've heard costume historians say that if you know what you're looking for, you can often tell a boy's dress from a girl's (plainer, different fabrics), but I don't have that skill.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Literally crying, thank you Boris

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1530569025390092288?t=QGng0FuLGedBuLA3lMQmoA&s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nobody will want to remake the packaging so we'll end up with the same poo poo as the US with bottles labelled 0.220 Imp Gal (1L)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

In a battle between Johnson and decorum poisoned melts that isn't going to happen though, it's more likely that Johnson rewrites the rulebook to give himself unilateral authority to do that and then it passes by a margin of 5 votes.
Nah, Keith will whip to abstain and it'll pass with a majority.

Then he'll try to be clever by amending it except everyone will have hosed off by then so it will pass as written, or entirely neutral leader of the house (cons.) will decide not to read the 'no boris johnsons' clause.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

England's dreaming

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
could we not just have theme parks for these people to go to for the day where they can pretend it's old days rather than turning the actual whole country into a confused mashup of throwbacks to various idealised time periods

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Experimental Prototype Community of Yesterday

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKSGdByaUIA

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

they have communities like that for dementia patients so they can still go out to the shops etc except its all in a secure environment

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

crispix posted:

could we not just have theme parks for these people to go to for the day where they can pretend it's old days rather than turning the actual whole country into a confused mashup of throwbacks to various idealised time periods

they’re trying to turn the whole country into their theme park, they’re all ready living in a fantasy land of blitz spirit and EU grievances with no bearing on reality and isolated from any consequences (£400 for a second home!)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

kecske posted:

they have communities like that for dementia patients so they can still go out to the shops etc except its all in a secure environment

It's called Bedford OP.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kecske posted:

When I worked in the NHS, one time our department was on the top floor of a Geriatric Day Hospital. They had a 'memory room'. It was done out with loads of WW2 memorabilia - posters, gas masks, clothing and so on. The various patients would get to spend time in there and reminisce.

(That was late 1980s so if the typical patient was in their 70s for example, they would have in their 20s during WW2).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And tomorrow we'll be having some old friends visiting from Paraguay who will try to kill you.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1530537182477295618

:allears:

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

crispix posted:

Its on its way
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Resort

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/huwlemmey/status/1530517070164725760

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

While we technically vote for a person not a party, I'm sure the evidence is that actually many people vote for the badge not the person? Note how MPs who were formerly elected under a party badge generally fare very badly if they stand as an independent in their constituency against the new person with the badge?

That's generally different because the people who stand as independents after having stood for a party have usually been kicked out of said party. This pisses off the base.

As a counterexample, I'll offer the constituency of Kincardine and Deeside. Alick Buchanan Smith was the Tory MP there from its creation until he died in office, but in the by-election the seat was lost to Nicol Stephen (who had been second to Buchanan Smith in 1987). It was regained a few months later in the 1992 GE by George Kynoch, but nobody liked him much. The seat was redistricted between Aberdeen South and West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine, and the Tories didn't have a sniff in either seat for the next 20 years.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

When did they start teaching metric exclusively in schools, early '70s? Certainly been the case in Scotland. It'd be beyond moronic to revert to imperial measurements for people who are 60 or over.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

When did they start teaching metric exclusively in schools, early '70s? Certainly been the case in Scotland. It'd be beyond moronic to revert to imperial measurements for people who are 60 or over.

Yes it's moronic but it's also the basis for basically every Conservative policy.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
What does 'bringing back' imperial measures even mean. Unless they're making them compulsory, nobody's going to bother, except for the odd lunatic pub landlord or greengrocer.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pistol_Pete posted:

What does 'bringing back' imperial measures even mean. Unless they're making them compulsory, nobody's going to bother, except for the odd lunatic pub landlord or greengrocer.

Instead of being £5 a banana it will be 250 tuppence per yard arm shank barrel.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pistol_Pete posted:

Government by press release. Just say you're doing a thing, it doesn't matter if you do it. The people who want this just want the emotional satisfaction of knowing it will annoy those they don't like, and a day or two of headlines about it achieves that

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

At primary school in the 1960s I learned stones, lbs, oz, £ s d, etc (great for learning 'bases' arithmetic!) but decimal money started with the 5p (identical in size and interchangeable in value with the 1 shilling pieces) and 10p (ditto 2 shilling pieces and old florins which were still to be found). 50p came in 1969 and they used to interview old grannies in the street complaining that they could easily mistake 7 sided 50p pieces for half crowns and how it was all terrible.

Then we got all the decimal money in 1971 and kids were given souvenir sets - my sister and I (9 and 11 years old) took ours on holiday and spent them unbeknowns to the folks. (18.5p was a lot then for a kid - we used to get half a crown - 12.5p - pocket money PER MONTH back then). Old sixpences worth 2.5p stayed in circulation for some years afterwards.

UK was supposed to go full decimal by 1975.

Our local handy store still sells shelving in feet and inches so annoying when 8x6 means 8ft long and 6in wide! And don't get me on area - estate agents who still give floor areas in sq.ft and I stand there trying to do 50sqft x 144/169 in my head to get very approx sqm so I can picture it.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Uh...

https://twitter.com/graingermedia/status/1530254994523533313?t=kQ1INfRGYhuN1Dx42deXFQ&s=19

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Petrol prices will go from 162p per litre to 736p per gallon if they switch to imperial. I don't think it will happen.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

madey posted:

Petrol prices will go from 162p per litre to 736p per gallon if they switch to imperial. I don't think it will happen.

92p a pint!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

We're going to have to change all the signpost distances from km to miles.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

It could technically be commemorating everyone who died on both sides in WW1 and getting their flags mixed up with Imperial Germany.

It won't be though, will it. It'll be a Nazi being sly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nah that's the actual Nazi flag for Nazis, the third reich war ensign. The German Empire flags had black eagles not swastikas. I've seen Nazis fly the second reich flag to be sly, but I can't believe anyone is clueless enough to do the inverse.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

feedmegin posted:

It could technically be commemorating everyone who died on both sides in WW1 and getting their flags mixed up with Imperial Germany.

It won't be though, will it. It'll be a Nazi being sly.

If this is your version of sly, I'd not like to see what you think brash looks like.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
German fash flag without the British one for balance.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
To be fair, when I see an England or Union flag I'm suspicious (relevant events aside), but when I see one of those with the silhouettes and the poppies I'm assuming they're about this close to buying a swastika flag anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The white ensign is an England flag with a smaller Union flag inside it which in turn has an England flag, unless you are an actual naval vessel that's sus.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

All I see is support for the Azov freedom fighters.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
It was the anniversary of the sinking of the Bismarck yesterday, so the White Ensign and the Kreigmarine ensign (and the silhouette + poppy flag) could be a really tone deaf attempt to symbolise that and/or commemorate those lost on both sides of the engagement.

But I'm really not keen on giving anyone who puts WW2 German flags with literal swastikas on them up on the front of their house tye benefit if the doubt, so I'm going for either 'sly Nazi' or 'Fine People on Both Sides idiot'.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's the logical conclusion of centrism. The two sides of acceptable debate in this country are respecting the troops and right wing edgelords. It would not be right to deny one of them a place while obviously the papers will murder you if you do not respect every single troop.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

isn't that the kriegsmarine flag? :/

maybe just really has it in for the merchant navy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
During the 75th VE day anniversary there was a bit of a heated discussion in my village as some members of the committee for what to actually do wanted to honour all of the countries that fought against fascism, rather than just Britain/England/Superengland flags, using the period appropriate flags of the time, and others pointed out that this meant that the bad South Africa flag, the British Raj, etc would be up there, which are a bit fasc themselves.

The solution was to have them as small flags out of the way a bit, but at least a discussion was had as to "we want to be internationalist" "yeah but these..."

At least nobody suggested flying some nazi poo poo for balance lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
or really likes the idea of being in a hot, cramped container under the sea with sweaty, muscly german seamen