Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Zudgemud posted:

If you look up the actual meanings of many common names they have these kind of meanings in ancient Greek, Hebrew, Germanic or similar old dead languages or dialects. Like Alexander meaning "defender of man", Alfred being "elf council" or "bright council" and Michael being the rethorical question "who is like God?".

I thought Michael meant "he who is like God"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Came across Reason Reason today. I personally wouldn't give my kid the same first and last names but I am sure they had some motive for that.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

venus de lmao posted:

Bring back names like If-Christ-had-not-died-for-thee-thou-hadst-been-damned imo

I want to see old medieval names like Childeric and Galswintha make a comeback

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Do Arthurian names count ? I know (or know of) children under 10 called Olwen, Nimue, Mordred, Morgause, Segwarides (mispronounced: rides like the English word), Caradoc, Galahad, and Leodagrance (note the misspelling).

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The other week, I remembered the name of a girl I went to middle school with. Tiny thing, liked to wear yellow clothes.

Melissa Bee. Honeybee Bee. BB.

Congrats Mr. & Mrs. Bee, I finally got the joke some seventeen years later.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

venus de lmao posted:

I thought Michael meant "he who is like God"

No it's a question, some rabbi was real witty a few thousand years ago.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
A 3yo called Nevaeh has been in the news here in Australia because she was left on a hot bus for 6 hours. She's okay.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Coworker's new baby: AbbyGale Raeliana [lastname]

Two coworkers who are perpetually engaged/common-law married have the surnames Pfister and Guerra and if they're ever there at the same time we call them WARFIST

gotta make your own fun sometimes

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Someone on one of my work calls today was named Chris Chan. :(

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Identical twins Sol and Luna.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Marcade posted:

Identical twins Sol and Luna.

are you sure they were people and not pokemon game carts

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Unfortunately for them, yes.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I know Korean-Australian twins sisters called X-byeol and X-wol. Byeol = star; wol = moon; the X is the same in both names; byeol and wol rhyme.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 11:42 on May 13, 2022

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
boysie

first name: forever
last name: young

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Jeanmarket Market

Lapepea *last name*

Zlatomir Fung

middle name Shirk

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I saw a sign for a guy running for a county office named Yxstian Gutierrez.

I have no idea if Yxstian is a form of Christian or how to pronounce it but that’s definitely a new one for me.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Aphrodite posted:

I found out recently a friend's legal name is just "S".

Weird parents, not a clerical mistake.

Yeah, one of my closest friends is legally just the letter J [last name], doesn't even have a middle name. Her mom was super hippy dippy, so who knows :shrug:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Time to empty my name list again.

First/Middle Names

-Ya'Majesty Dream
-Perseverance (I like this one, one of those old school Puritan virtue names)
-Spottedeaglewolves (yes, all one word)
-Jausylinn
-Velvety
-Oarren
-Juanickwa
-twins Heaven and Nevaeh
-Swayd
-Daizee
-Cirrus
-Ceaser

Last/Full Names

-Makes Room For Them
-Crystal Waters
-Cox-Skipper
-Bubbles King (I think I've posted her here before)
-Karen Moist
-Chip Munk (legal name Charles)
-Sky Powers
-Derandon Chance
-Raven Rook

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Processed paperwork for a Minerva Cooper, who goes by Minnie.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ralph Hurley posted:

I saw a sign for a guy running for a county office named Yxstian Gutierrez.

I have no idea if Yxstian is a form of Christian or how to pronounce it but that’s definitely a new one for me.

I read it as "Exist-ian". Good name for someone who exists.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Today I met a boy called Corinth, and overheard a woman introduce her newborn as Ian.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ian's a perfectly respectable name.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
It is a perfectly respectable old man name. The youngest Ian I've ever encountered around here was born in the '50s.
I've known a couple of younger Iains from the UK, but this is regional Australia so I'm pretty confident in guessing that he's an Ian. Also, among the ever-growing crowd of Zaylens and Kaeleighs, perfectly respectable names are noteworthy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ian is one of those weird names where in places like the UK and Australia and New Zealand it's all but died out as a baby name but in the US it was rare until 60s and 70s and since the early 80s it's never been outside the top 100 baby names

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Lady Disdain posted:

It is a perfectly respectable old man name. The youngest Ian I've ever encountered around here was born in the '50s.
I've known a couple of younger Iains from the UK, but this is regional Australia so I'm pretty confident in guessing that he's an Ian. Also, among the ever-growing crowd of Zaylens and Kaeleighs, perfectly respectable names are noteworthy.
Ian Curtis died at 23 so it's clearly a young man's name.

There's also the Ian in the original Fallout who's mostly known for shooting the player in the back by accident and dying by walking through a force field.

These are all the Ians I know of. Thank you.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
I elect to believe that Corinth and Ian are nicknames of the same kid, Corinthian Leather Smith

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Woebin posted:

Ian Curtis died at 23 so it's clearly a young man's name.

There's also the Ian in the original Fallout who's mostly known for shooting the player in the back by accident and dying by walking through a force field.

These are all the Ians I know of. Thank you.

Surely you didn't forget about bad boy hearttthrob mathematician Ian Malcolm?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Just read an interesting journal article* by someone with the surname SteelFisher. Don't see mid-name capitalisation too often.

SteelFisher, G. K. et al. (2015). Threats to polio eradication in high-conflict areas in Pakistan and Nigeria: a polling study of caregivers of children younger than 5 years. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, 15(10), 1183–1192. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(15)00178-4

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Phy posted:

Surely you didn't forget about bad boy hearttthrob mathematician Ian Malcolm?

For what it's worth, Jeff Goldblum was born in 1952, and in the book he is described as 35 years old, which puts his birthdate in the mid 50s, so that fits right in Lady Disdain's model. However, I am perfectly willing to accept that different countries/regions have different popular names, so none of this bothers me. (Also, I know an Ian from the 70s-80s, for what it's worth, and we're both American.)

Lady Disdain posted:

Today I met a boy called Corinth, and overheard a woman introduce her newborn as Ian.

I'm actually more interested in how this Corinth is pronounced. Please tell me stress is on the first syllable.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Speaking of Corinth/Ian, I came across Corinthian Nutter, a black teacher who helped to get her students into an integrated school in 1949.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Harvey TWH posted:

I'm actually more interested in how this Corinth is pronounced. Please tell me stress is on the first syllable.

The British way. So yes, but with the R sound in the second syllable: /'kɒ.ɹɪnθ/ I suppose.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
The surname Horneij, which probably isn't supposed to be pronounced like "horny" but try to stop me.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Stormy Bay

E: I just found out her full name is Stormy Gale Bay. Parents :argh:

Marcade has a new favorite as of 21:24 on May 24, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Òàíåö Öâåòåíüÿ

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
That's the sound the garbage disposal makes when there's a clog!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

found out there was a guy who lived in my house once named King Kok

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
halleberry
molester
awesome
xaley
peaches
kumson
mercedezes
prairie
lekekey lucky
fredasharron

last name: heckenlively. (they are deceased)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I can buy every name on that list as real but the second one. What the heck?

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

I can buy every name on that list as real but the second one. What the heck?

did a double take myself, but i can assure you its real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Jinger