Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I know there's no rule for it, but how unlucky do you get before you'll reset a scenario?

I'm playing Miskatonic Museum. I broke the door down with Mark and his upgraded Beat Cop, then pushed into the Halls. Minh picked up the clues at the entrance and followed.

The first encounter card was the Hunting Horror. The second card was the one that lets the Hunting Horror get a free hit on everyone at the location.

I thought, Geez this sucks, at least Mark gets a free card, and immediately drew The Thing That Follows.

Obviously this is salvageable but... fucks sake!

Edit: Evaded it with Minh's Manual Dexterity, and then immediately drew her Psychosis weakness. I don't have a good joke for this.

Edit 2: Okay I managed to complete the scenario. Got lucky and the Restricted Hall was the first one I entered of the last 3. Had a Shortcut so Mark was able to let it engage him and then scoot back out with it into the Halls so Minh could investigate there in peace. Only got 1xp though.

resting bort face fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Restarting is not as bad as just straight up cheating. I think we usually give just one mulligan a game on a bad token pull if we don't restart.

It's a brutally difficult co-op game so just try to have fun :shrug:

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
On the one hand, it is perfectly thematic for the arkham setting that you get screwed over in ways that are completely unfair and you just have to deal with it and carry on with your wounds. On the other hand, players like to win.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Nebrilos posted:

On the one hand, it is perfectly thematic for the arkham setting that you get screwed over in ways that are completely unfair and you just have to deal with it and carry on with your wounds. On the other hand, players like to win.

I was heartily amused to find that in The Circle Undone, whichever “faction” you side with ends up being the villain in the story

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think it was that way from the beginning.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Dunwich was also the first campaign so there are definitely some rougher scenarios where if you don't have the right kind of investigators it can make it pretty rough.

I don't mind resets so long as you are having fun, but my blind playthroughs I just roll with the punches.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Dunwich was also the first campaign so there are definitely some rougher scenarios where if you don't have the right kind of investigators it can make it pretty rough.

I don't mind resets so long as you are having fun, but my blind playthroughs I just roll with the punches.

You're strong. I wish I had your willpower.

Does anyone have any gimmick decks or ideas for gimmick decks they want to share? Is that a thing that is done in this thread? Here are some of mine

-A deck based around using taboo'd Springfield M1903 as a primary weapon, with fight events and Brand of Cthugha as backup (https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2048535)
-Luke Robinson abuses Whitton Green and Gate Box to assemble amulet of the queen at lightning speed (not my idea)
-Combining dream diary and Amanda Sharp lets you draw more cards and have high stats

I'd share the arkhamdb links, but I don't know how to do so without publishing

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 29, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Nebrilos posted:

I'd share the arkhamdb links, but I don't know how to do so without publishing

Click the dropdown in the upper right corner, press edit account, and check the box for "Make your decks public"

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

Click the dropdown in the upper right corner, press edit account, and check the box for "Make your decks public"

It is public, though. Does the link work? I think it doesn't.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Nebrilos posted:

It is public, though. Does the link work? I think it doesn't.

If it is set to public you can share the view page (not editing), like this, without publishing: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/1811351

edit: Didn't see your edit. The link you posted works.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Nebrilos posted:

-Combining dream diary and Amanda Sharp lets you draw more cards and have high stats

Dream Diary triggers after Amanda Sharpe, so you can only do it once per two rounds (if you forego half of your dream diary triggers). Is that better than just holding some sort of investigation tool instead, putting more good skills in your deck, and spending your xp elsewhere? idk, it might be, but it's certainly a weird interaction.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I only own it, Carcosa and TFA. Haven't played it in a while and its rough edges do show. I don't own any of the Return To sets either. Does Return to Dunwich make it more interesting? Smooth out some of those rough edges?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

resting bort face posted:

I only own it, Carcosa and TFA. Haven't played it in a while and its rough edges do show. I don't own any of the Return To sets either. Does Return to Dunwich make it more interesting? Smooth out some of those rough edges?

For Dunwich it both fixes some things (that loving hill) but also makes things harder.

Return to Carcosa is the one that just makes things loving way harder. Return to TFA smooths out the Explore mechanic which should have been the way it is in that from the beginning.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My favorite gimmick deck is "oops, all assets" Yorick with Geared Up. Scoffner's Catalogue, Blessed Blade, Meat Cleaver, Tennessee Sour Mash, etc. Short Supply is basically "at the start of the game, draw 10 cards". I include a few skills like Vicious Blow, but otherwise it's all assets.

Here's an early version I took through Dark Matter. I'd change a few things if I rebuilt it, but it'll give the gist:
https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2067793

This "Kirby All Even" deck is fun, too: https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/37318/ultimate-ursula-deck-guide-1.0

However, you should ignore the hell out of that Crystallizer of Dreams garbage. To play it you need 3 XP on Relic Hunter and waste 3 XP, a card slot, and action on the bad Archaic Glyphs upgrade. Just play Eon Chart, and fit Deduction or Fingerprint Kit in there.

I've been working on a custom campaign and it's a lot of work. My first two scenarios are "done" in that they're complete, tested, and playable but only exist in a Google Doc and written onto basic Pokemon energy as proxies.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I’ve got an in person group kicking off AH soon. I’m not interested in changing packs so am planning on mostly sticking to the Investigator/Campaign box releases. For us, what value is there in the Return to X boxes? Same as everybody else? The “big box to hold cards” seems irrelevant.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

As said above, they make the campaigns better in almost all cases.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

I’ve got an in person group kicking off AH soon. I’m not interested in changing packs so am planning on mostly sticking to the Investigator/Campaign box releases. For us, what value is there in the Return to X boxes? Same as everybody else? The “big box to hold cards” seems irrelevant.

I would never play Forgotten Ages without Return to. The jump in quality took it from my most hated campaign to one of my favorites.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Return to TFA is almost mandatory. Next biggest is Dunwich due to almost being bugfixes for the mistakes of the early releases of the game.

Other three are eh. Return to Zealot just kind of expands the scenarios but the campaign is still mega short. They should have added a few more scenarios or something.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Return to Zealot "fixes" the last scenario in the most petty way possible.
Could have at least given a side quest to guarantee Lita draw.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Return to TCU adds a way to skip the prologue, which isn't necessary the first time but very welcome on replays. The tarot cards are also neat and Observed is my favorite thing to grab when I don't know what to do with my XP. If you're grabbing them in order of big box releases, that'll be a wait.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Okay, so I had gathered that the Return to X boxes were to reinvigorate the cycles, but I'm gathering maybe they're partly there to fix them. Should they be included from the get-go? Or should you play through the cycle the first time as-is?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I guess it depends on how much money you wanted to drop at once. None of the campaigns I’ve played have been so busted that I felt myself longing for a patch my first time through. I haven’t played TFA, which sounds like the most in need of it.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Definitely just play the standard campaigns first. I wouldn't buy any of the return to boxes until you've finished all of the campaign's unless you can find a full cycle and want something newish to play.

Return to boxes are good products but aren't as fun as a whole new campaign. They mix things up a bit but it is still the same scenarios and story. They definitely aren't necessary and you could argue not even needed until you've played each campaign through a couple of times. Nothing is 'broken' in any of the campaign boxes.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you’re playing a team on without a high book score in Dunwich, you can’t beat scenario seven. And I will leave it’s much easier to auto fail scenario four, resulting in a TPK on turn one.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I haven't played Return to TFA, but the first time through (2 player) we had an absolute comedy run of errors where we couldn't even make it out of the starting campsite. We called a do-over and were able to re-run it immediately without issues, but it made for a comical start. It was all a bad dream....

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

True randomness can be an unintuitive concept to grasp, such that getting a string of ten 6s in a row from a hundred die rolls is a perfectly random result, which is why music apps changed their 'random shuffle' options to offer high entropy instead of pure randomness (and it's why people used to complain in games like WoW when bosses kept dropping the same items).

If there's one thing I've learned since running various simulations for this game it's that unlikely things, like two autofails in a row, are actually quite likely to occur over the course of a game, or a campaign. But the game (and life) wouldn't be nearly as exciting if that weren't the case!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My friends and I are kicking off on Monday, and we're talking card pool.

We're planning on (mostly?) limiting ourselves to the new publishing format, so just Dunwich Legacy, Edge of the Earth, and as we speak Path to Carcosa, for now.

I'd also like to avoid signing us up to buy the whole card pool at once, so we're planning on keeping our card pool limited to what we've unlocked with the campaign. As such, when we crack open the Campaign Box, the associated Investigator Box is now available as well.

I've heard Edge of the Earth is good, and Dunwich Legacy shows that it's the first campaign. But FFG games have a history of using their first cycle to flesh out gaps in the Core Box's card pool, so one of our players is inclined to start with Dunwich so we can get access to the Dunwich Investigator cards.

Thoughts?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yes, the Dunwich card pool is generally considered most essential after the core set.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Dunwich cards and campaign are both good. The campaign is a little rough around the edges but only in comparison to the stuff that came after which imo has all pretty much been exceptional.

You can make perfectly good decks without the Dunwich investigator cards but you will find there are staple cards in a lot of decks you see online because the first cycle was full of simple but effective building blocks for a lot of archetypes.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Hey I'm pretty new to this game too and we just started our first Edge of the Earth campaign after a lot of learning the game with NotZ and some standalones. Dunwich cards have been a pretty big part of our decks so far, so I'd recommend busting them out even if you don't do that campaign first.

Though I'll admit I don't have any qualms about buying the investigator card boxes as soon as they come out.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Kalko posted:

If there's one thing I've learned since running various simulations for this game it's that unlikely things, like two autofails in a row, are actually quite likely to occur over the course of a game, or a campaign. But the game (and life) wouldn't be nearly as exciting if that weren't the case!

It isn't a scenario of Arkham Horror if someone doesn't draw two autofails in a row on a check that needs to succeed this turn or we are all screwed.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Good to know re Dunwich Legacy. We already bought EotE, but I'll order Dunwich. I'd really like to allow the card pool to grow organically as we work our way through the campaigns, so Dunwich'll be the first campaign I suppose.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

The 5 stand alone investigators are all really fun and come with good cards, especially if you have a limited selection

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

One of them has a paragraph in Edge of the Earth, too.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Played my first in-person game of Arkham last night with two other goons.

Had a blast, played through the first two encounters of Night of the Zealot. Cruised through The Gathering (I was Roland the Machete Machine). The Midnight Masks was a little rough, as Daisy (our resident AH "veteran") couldn't draw any assets, I couldn't draw any assets, and Agnes (LOTR/Marvel LCG vet but also new to AH) grew increasingly frustrated they had elected to use the pre-built starter deck (with only one Shriveling). We ended up walking away with three (named) cultists defeated.

Rules query: Are there cards that refer to an investigator's class? Does it mean anything?

I was looking at Daniela Reyes, and while she's a Guardian, she can't take upgraded Guardian cards, but she can take Survivor cards levels 0-5. That basically reads as a Survivor with access to level 0 Guardian cards, except she's a Guardian.

Does it matter?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Cards don’t refer to character classes, but characters’ deckbuilding options do refer to card classes. The more characters are added to the game, the more a character’s class becomes a general suggestion of how they play, as hybrid characters and characters that play outside the usual archetype of a class emerge. For instance, Carolyn Fern is a healing-focused guardian that can only access level 0 weapons, but can deal decent damage by leaning on mystic spells.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Technically your investigator card is a card you control, so it counts toward the number of different classes you control for effects that care about that. e.g. Call for Backup would do the Guardian effect even if she has no Guardian assets in play.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Whaaat? That’s wild.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Should Lola discard herself due to her weakness then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Yes, but not in the way you are thinking.

She's a neutral card. You should discard her because she's the worst investigator in the game, by far, due to her weakness.