Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Did the demo ever get updated from when it came out in 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
If the only way you can enjoy a game is to remove the story, then it is a bad game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

no

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Screaming Idiot posted:

If the only way you can enjoy a game is to remove the story, then it is a bad game.

I found the story perfectly fine. Just saying there is a mode without cutscenes and just gameplay.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sometimes the story is bad but the gameplay owns

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Screaming Idiot posted:

lmao

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've played a lot of bad games

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sonic 06 is just kind of a perfect storm of bad ideas, bad execution and bad management. Pretty much everything about the presentation in particular, starting from the very title, is incredible, Greek tragedy hubris levels of misguided confidence in fundamentally bad ideas. And it most likely wouldn't be so hated even as an unfinished bug-ridden mess of loading times and melodrama if it weren't for the title and being probably the most heavily hyped and promoted Sonic game of modern times. Secret Rings was at least a funny little side game.

Also still pretty confident in classifying Freedom Planet as being basically playable Sonic fanfiction, with all that implies.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I found the story perfectly fine. Just saying there is a mode without cutscenes and just gameplay.

But I want the cutscenes! I just don't want them to drag as much as they do! If someone complains that the story could be better told, the solution is not "have you tried just not having a story at all".

They edited the cutscenes later on anyway because they recognised that they were too long, plus there were some lines left over that only made sense in the context of cut content, so it should be a bit better now, although I haven't replayed it since then.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

the answer is "yes" my sibling in christ

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

KingKalamari posted:

Freedom Planet was a fun game but hoo boy did those cutscenes drag. Even the ones that didn't feature extended torture scenes just felt aimless and way too long.

Freedom Planet's cutscenes have this beautiful trainwreck quality to them. The voice acting and writing are just bad and uncomfortable. Watching that crap unfold is itself a reward for getting through levels. I can't imagine the game without them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

You can’t just go saying this in a sonic thread

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I respect freedom planet immensely for finishing and publishing the game we all tried to make in multimedia fusion when we were 14

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
It's been seven years since I played it, but besides the ridiculously atonal plot and cutscenes, I remember it having a steep and sudden difficulty curve as you approached the end. But I could also play a green cat on a motorcycle so that seemed to make up for it. And Edwyn Tiong as a VA which always makes me smile as I end up imagining it as Dan McNeely assuming some new identity as he leaps through dimensions.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Story doesn't matter in a platformer

And I say that as someone who adores the Ori games and Celeste

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The cutscene sequence after level 2 that goes on for 20 minutes is there to cull out the weak.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sonic 06 is just kind of a perfect storm of bad ideas, bad execution and bad management. Pretty much everything about the presentation in particular, starting from the very title, is incredible, Greek tragedy hubris levels of misguided confidence in fundamentally bad ideas. And it most likely wouldn't be so hated even as an unfinished bug-ridden mess of loading times and melodrama if it weren't for the title and being probably the most heavily hyped and promoted Sonic game of modern times. Secret Rings was at least a funny little side game.

Also still pretty confident in classifying Freedom Planet as being basically playable Sonic fanfiction, with all that implies.

And this is why I refuse to accept that Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric is a worse game than Sonic 06: It might be a buggy, janked-up mess, but it lacks the hubris and holistic badness of 06.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Rise of Lyric is boring most of all so it is worse than 06 which at least seems like it’s trying something even if it fails spectacularly

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I really hope that some of the PS4/XB1 builds of Sonic Boom have survived. The game seemed competent enough in trailers, but then it got shifted to Wii U thanks to Sega's three game exclusivity deal with Nintendo and they had to spend a year of dev time working with Epic and gouging out chunks of content (and dropping planned content) just to get the game running at all.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’m interested in what exactly the original storyline was before Sega made them gut it. There are little traces of it in the final game, but apparently it was focused on Sonic’s history and hedgehogs and Sega didn’t like that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There was also an entire side story for where Sticks came from, but in the final game she's just an NPC glued to one spot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pigbuster posted:

The cutscene sequence after level 2 that goes on for 20 minutes is there to cull out the weak.

It's why it's been cut down.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There was also an entire side story for where Sticks came from, but in the final game she's just an NPC glued to one spot.

Do we know anything about that out of curiosity? Because in the subsequent games and cartoon she’s suddenly just part of the gang with no explanation.

Speaking of, Sticks kind of grew on me after a while and I wouldn’t mind if they introduced her into the main universe somehow

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9sQ3SUKXXk

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh, I didn’t know that. I figured she was like that in the final game because she was made by the show staff later during development. I guess she was made earlier on than I thought.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I really hope that some of the PS4/XB1 builds of Sonic Boom have survived. The game seemed competent enough in trailers, but then it got shifted to Wii U thanks to Sega's three game exclusivity deal with Nintendo and they had to spend a year of dev time working with Epic and gouging out chunks of content (and dropping planned content) just to get the game running at all.

You mean Crytek, cause it's Cryengine, not UE

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Thought Sticks was introduced in Rush Adventure but that was a completely different raccoon girl apparently

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

Thought Sticks was introduced in Rush Adventure but that was a completely different raccoon girl apparently

Yeah that’s Marine, another character who never appeared again after her initial game. It’s possible Sticks was inspired somewhat by her design however (though the former is apparently a badger)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

You mean Crytek, cause it's Cryengine, not UE

Huh, I guess I do mean that.

They're a lot more likely to retool Marine than bring Sticks over to the main series, but they've also already got Cream and I'm not sure how many small exuberant kids they really need.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Spinball's soundtrack is absolutely fantastic (yes even the options menu) and that's an amazing rearrangement of the toxic caves.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Master System Sonic physics were janky , yet pleasantly so. Bring back the spring box and skipping across water like a stone

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Screaming Idiot posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

One of my favorite games is Dishonored 2 because you can press f to skip half the story and just enjoy throwing unconscious people out of windows.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N82z2RUj0Og

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61pzBBQFxzM

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Dieting Hippo posted:

Spinball's soundtrack is absolutely fantastic (yes even the options menu) and that's an amazing rearrangement of the toxic caves.

No one re-arranges Lava Powerhouse because it's already the perfect song.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Larryb posted:

Do we know anything about that out of curiosity? Because in the subsequent games and cartoon she’s suddenly just part of the gang with no explanation.

Speaking of, Sticks kind of grew on me after a while and I wouldn’t mind if they introduced her into the main universe somehow

Yeah, I'm 100% in favor of introducing Sticks into the mainline continuity. It helps that they don't really have an existing character that fills her...unique niche.

Fun fact: Sticks has technically appeared in the mainline Sonic continuity as a character in the little weekly comics they released on Sonic Channel in 2016:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think what sold me on Sticks is that 90 % of the time she's right.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Sticks is warning us about Eggman putting chemicals in the water that turn the friggin' frogs into Chaos. The plans of the Solaris globalists are unending. Jackbooted GUN fascists kicking down our doors to force GHZ theory into our homeschool curriculums. It's Genocide City here, folks!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that joke only works when the theories sound implausible, screaming idiot

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Augus posted:

that joke only works when the theories sound implausible, screaming idiot

Nodosaur posted:

I think what sold me on Sticks is that 90 % of the time she's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

(tiny amount of) Frontiers gameplay
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1531666944826363905?t=SnJgI3tMrAu0VPPE99ll2Q&s=19
looks... good?