Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

which was part of X-Factor til editors decided that it had legs to stand on its own as a mini event book (it did not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

X-Factor was too good for this world :smith:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the real trial of magneto was that he had to endure being in a really lovely event comic. you'd think he'd be used to that by now.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

BrianWilly posted:

The whole timeline thing is definitely very complicated and I'm not sure if any of it might even still affect the current storyline anymore now that Hickman's indeterminately gone, but the plan to merge with the Phalanx came from the way way waaaay futuristic post-humans who really don't have anything to do with Orchis and maybe not even Nimrod at that point. If I recall correctly, the timeline where Nimrod took over was actually a different one than the one where Moira and Logan were in that far future with the blue people wanting to merge. Neither Moira or Orchis in the current day have any plans to merge with the Phalanx.

I guess?

Yeah, I don't think Orchis was ever presented as even knowing about the Phalanx/Technarky/whatever in HoXPoX or later appearances. The stuff in the far future of the transhuman zealots merging with them was meant (in my interpretation) to be a logical ending to humanity relying on machines to genocide mutants.

It's frustrating that the Moira heel turn into a Terminator is resulting in things that- if not directly contradictory- are surface-level confusing. The entire setup of Mutants vs. Humans-Transhumanism-Machines that HoXPoX established probably wasn't meant to be as simple as that, but when you have Moira suddenly turning anti-mutant AND into a machine, it's not surprising that we want to associate her with everything previously established (even if some of those things only happened to her... which makes the heel turn even harder to justify).

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Bulgaroctonus it sounds like you haven’t read Morrisson’s New X-Men, which was an era-defining run that ended shortly before M-Day (which is the in-universe name for the No More Mutants thing).

You might also want to check out Wolverine & The X-Men which doesn’t have quite as many threads being used today, but is still a pretty solid run from the last decade.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Isn't there 3 factions?
Mutants
Humans
Sentinels/nimrod/ai from the future using humans for their own goal

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

frodnonnag posted:

Isn't there 3 factions?
Mutants
Humans
Sentinels/nimrod/ai from the future using humans for their own goal

That latter one only exists as of the end of Inferno, though, where Nimrod and Omega explicitly state that they're just using humans for their own ends.

Also, from earlier: Yes, Nimrod's "big" power is adaptation to his enemies.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Last week in X-Men Red we saw Brand successfully get a sample of Cable's techno-organic virus for Orchis, and now we see Nimrod taking out Technarchs. Doubt that's a coincidence.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I didn't pick up LoX... is that where the Orchis-Phalanx thing happened?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

danbanana posted:

I didn't pick up LoX... is that where the Orchis-Phalanx thing happened?

Correct, though it seemed a side plot at best. Newly resurrected Blindfold shared with Legion a vision she had of Magus being killed by Nimrod. Legion brought the news to Warlock and the Quite Counsel.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Moira reminds me of Isca the Unbeaten. She’ll straight up change sides if things seem impossible.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Open Marriage Night posted:

Moira reminds me of Isca the Unbeaten. She’ll straight up change sides if things seem impossible.

Except she literally lived thousands of years in multiple lives... losing.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Can't remember if it was here or one of the other threads where someone mentioned X-Campus. My LCS just announced a backissues sale featuring "a bunch of X-Men" so I strolled on down to peruse it and picked that up, among other things, without being able to remember if the poster had said if it was good or garbage. Oh well, we'll see!
Picked up a few things I was looking for, including all 4 issues of Pixie Strikes Back (shut up, I liked it and I like Pixie) and Young X-Men (not great, but I like Rockslide). There was also a complete run of New X-Men Academy X, which is now missing the issue where the cover is an explosion reflected in Mercury's face. Always thought that looked cool.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pixie Strikes Back is a lot of fun.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

Bulgaroctonus it sounds like you haven’t read Morrisson’s New X-Men, which was an era-defining run that ended shortly before M-Day (which is the in-universe name for the No More Mutants thing).

You might also want to check out Wolverine & The X-Men which doesn’t have quite as many threads being used today, but is still a pretty solid run from the last decade.

Hey, thanks! Those look pretty drat good. I think me and me daughter are gonna need to head over to the comic store tomorrow. I appreciate you. I’ve made it to the end of the month with at least some discretionary income, may as well go spend it at the local store :)

They’re like the only true comics store around that I know of, as in just loving comics, not just walls of Pops and random pop culture poo poo. Plus they got the good ol’ quarter/dollar bin and there’s two really sweet and lazy rear end cats that live there and it’s always time to pet cats and buy comics with the kiddo!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Hey, thanks! Those look pretty drat good. I think me and me daughter are gonna need to head over to the comic store tomorrow. I appreciate you. I’ve made it to the end of the month with at least some discretionary income, may as well go spend it at the local store :)

They’re like the only true comics store around that I know of, as in just loving comics, not just walls of Pops and random pop culture poo poo. Plus they got the good ol’ quarter/dollar bin and there’s two really sweet and lazy rear end cats that live there and it’s always time to pet cats and buy comics with the kiddo!

All New Wolverine by Tom Taylor is worth looking for as well.

Enjoy going to the comic store!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Internet Wizard posted:

Wolverine & the X-Men had mutants living on Krakoa before it was cool.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TwoPair posted:

Wolverine & the X-Men had mutants living on Krakoa before it was cool.

And wolverine doing an amazing impression of cyclops and has the funk

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
why the gently caress isn't johnathan the actual wolverine on krakoa?!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Soonmot posted:

why the gently caress isn't johnathan the actual wolverine on krakoa?!

I'm pretty sure he is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a big island that's mostly wild. he probably disappeared into the woods and was never seen again.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
He lives with Gabby, you can see a bunch of him in New Mutants #22.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm not sure I understand Brand's whole deal. Is she playing both sides for her own ends? Is her end just... space?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah Brand is playing both sides. Her end goal seems to be having the Sol system to be a system that nobody fucks with while she acts as the power behind the scenes.

I don't think she necessarily cares which side wins, so long as she can manipulate them to her own needs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah Brand is playing both sides. Her end goal seems to be having the Sol system to be a system that nobody fucks with while she acts as the power behind the scenes.

I don't think she necessarily cares which side wins, so long as she can manipulate them to her own needs.
I look forward to her gradual transformation into Dirk Anger

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't even know why Aliens were loving with Sol to begin with. It never went well for them when it was just mostly humans on Earth, now there's also, what, tens of thousands? of mutants who've been at war for millennia on Arakko. (How many Arakkoan mutants are there? I'm sure it was mentioned at the end of X of Swords, but I can't remember

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

How Wonderful! posted:

He lives with Gabby, you can see a bunch of him in New Mutants #22.

Oh good, I must have forgotten, I was a bit drunk when I posted that.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Devil's Reign: X-Men is better than it has any right to be and the Butter Rum reference made me LOL.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I don't even know why Aliens were loving with Sol to begin with. It never went well for them when it was just mostly humans on Earth, now there's also, what, tens of thousands? of mutants who've been at war for millennia on Arakko. (How many Arakkoan mutants are there? I'm sure it was mentioned at the end of X of Swords, but I can't remember

2 million.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yeah, aliens should stay the gently caress away from Sol

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, aliens should stay the gently caress away from Sol

Build the wall Sol’s Hammer!

Also, why is it called X-Men ‘97 instead of ‘92 in so many places? I know it ended in ‘97 but don’t you usually do it by the starting year?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Also, why is it called X-Men ‘97 instead of ‘92 in so many places? I know it ended in ‘97 but don’t you usually do it by the starting year?

It is called X-men '92.

X-Men '97 is the new Disney cartoon that's coming in 2023 that's supposed to be a literal continuation of the 90's cartoon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I'm not saying we need to keep aliens out, I'm questioning the wisdom of aliens continually trying to gently caress with this solar system. It just never tends to work out well for them. Earth is basically Afghanistan for invading aliens and now there's another 2 million people with super powers and a long history constant warfare.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Aliens are dumb.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The mere fact that of all the great Marvel interstellar civilizations, there are TWO thinly veiled Roman Empire expys shows that they don't exactly have an enlightened stance regarding diplomacy and learning from past mistakes

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I am in favor of saying "aliens gently caress off" in the Marvel Universe on account of how one time they tried to turn Earth into a new Ego the Living Planet

quit fuckin' with Earth, aliens

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Besides loving up Galactus a handful of times, Earth people also CONVERTED HIM INTO THE LITERAL OPPOSITE OF GALACTUS.

Wasn't there a DC storyline about aliens getting together and saying "we're just isolating the earth from the rest of us, they're trouble."?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

danbanana posted:

Besides loving up Galactus a handful of times, Earth people also CONVERTED HIM INTO THE LITERAL OPPOSITE OF GALACTUS.

Wasn't there a DC storyline about aliens getting together and saying "we're just isolating the earth from the rest of us, they're trouble."?

You might be thinking of Invasion! (yes, the exclamation point is part of the title), but that was less about isolating Earth and more about, y'know, invading it - but the "look at how fuckin' nuts these people are and all the crazy poo poo that happens there, we gotta do something about that" motivation was clear

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Is there a site or something that has a list of all of the times Marvel has had earth invaded? I can only find Top 10 lists from a quick Google search. I just want a giant list of all the invasions that ultimately failed followed by Gameworld’s current odds on those who bet on Earth’s destruction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, gameworld is only sending in proxies they can afford to lose. having all the awful jerks of space fling turds in hopes that some will stick isn't a bad plan at all. it certainly beats all the times aliens tried to invade nyc.