Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

spincube posted:

That guy was going through some issues, and you just had your goons demolish his house while he was at work??

I mean as the mayor I can will buildings out of existence with a single click, who wouldn't use that to their advantage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So I last played CS back i 2019 and have forgotten everything except the annoying bird chirping insults at me and making unsovable traffic nightmares.

I just got the humble bundle.

What mods do I need to get and do I need to be aware of anything now I have nearly all of the DLC?

edit- Oh God. How do I start. I can't build a village without going bankrupt or get bigger and then discover half my hamlet can't afford a police/fire/health/school because the radius is too big.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 28, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Comstar posted:

edit- Oh God. How do I start. I can't build a village without going bankrupt or get bigger and then discover half my hamlet can't afford a police/fire/health/school because the radius is too big.

Check out City Planner Plays on YouTube. He has a series called Verde Beach that uses all the DLC but no mods (apart from a few cosmetic mods) and you can watch how he sets up a new city.

The simple answer is to build your initial road network with dirt roads to be upgraded later and don't be afraid to take a loan to pay for that first round of infrastructure buildings, because each milestone comes with a cash injection.

The radius shown for those particular buildings is more of an efficiency guide than a hard cut off. Police and fire will still respond outside of that radius, people will go to schools even if their house is outside of the radius, and with early game traffic conditions those journeys will be largely unimpeded

E: first episode of Verde Beach
https://youtu.be/A2FhKMLRays

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
CPP's Ultimate Beginners Guide is also good if you want a more layered experience, since that series starts from Vanilla where he explains the basics of city planning as it pertains to the game (how roads work, how to lay things out, etc.) and then adds in DLCs based on his recommended purchase order, and then the guide ends with a set of beginner mods and an advanced set of mods, and how they're useful.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The displayed radius for service buildings is the range of their +happiness effect, not service coverage (though obviously in the case of police/fire/medical the longer the trips take the less effective the service). I had the same misunderstanding for years before someone corrected me on it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Are there any city management games out there, as opposed to city builders?

Like, you're given a city and your main job is to run some aspects of it. Could be regular governance or some other aspect of urban life such as gangs or guilds or whatever. I just really like cities and how they work (or don't) but CS doesn't really scratch the management itch.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
A-Train is kind of like that, you play the exec of a local transit monopoly rather than a god-mayor and the city grows itself around your network and limited selection of ploppables.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Eric the Mauve posted:

The displayed radius for service buildings is the range of their +happiness effect, not service coverage (though obviously in the case of police/fire/medical the longer the trips take the less effective the service). I had the same misunderstanding for years before someone corrected me on it.

what

Ok, what OTHER things is the game not telling me?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the other suggestion is to just click on infinite money but try to keep your budget positive

it's mostly a waiting game otherwise

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Now I remember why I stopped last time- the progression in this game is terrible for a newbie. I get thrown 50 different things at level 3 and no idea what's important and whats not. I get thrown trams, buses, taxis (to WHAT?), tour buses (for what tourism!!), farming (with 2 different zones for it? What??), ores (how??) and 20 different parks and plazas (whats the difference between any of them?). And if I try building any of these I go bankrupt. And also I need child care, elder care, a postal service, a cemetery, a high school, a library AND somewhere to put all these thing that take up 1/2 a district. Also I can't see a thing because it's nighttime.

Any good mods to slow this all down? Or is just a matter or not worrying about a lot of this.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 29, 2022

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Comstar posted:

Now I remember why I stopped last time- the progression in this game is terrible for a newbie. I get thrown 50 different things at level 3 and no idea what's important and whats not. I get thrown trams, buses, taxis (to WHAT?), tour buses (for what tourism!!), farming (with 2 different zones for it? What??), ores (how??) and 20 different parks and plazas (whats the difference between any of them?). And if I try building any of these I go bankrupt. And also I need child care, elder care, a postal service, a cemetery, a high school, a library AND somewhere to put all these thing that take up 1/2 a district. Also I can't see a thing because it's nighttime.

Any good mods to slow this all down? Or is just a matter or not worrying about a lot of this.
You don't actually NEED any of those - that's just when you get to the point where you unlock all those options.

The ploppable industrial zones, like farming and ore, largely superseded the old zonable areas, but those are still in the game, and can sometimes be useful to fill in oddly-shaped gaps between big fields.

There are minimal differences between the parks, it's mostly cosmetic so your parks don't all look the dang same.

Of your services, the basic ones are police, fire, medical centres/hospitals, elementary and high schools, and in larger cities colleges (superseded by the campus DLC). The other ones are more to give various bonuses but it's better to get a basic town up and running first.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, just because you CAN build something doesn't mean you need to or should. There's very little your cities actually truly NEED to run -- power, water and waste services are the bare minimum, most of the rest is about making citizens happier and increasing land values to level up buildings, or managing traffic. Your city is not going to die or really suffer any major negative consequences at all from not having police stations and hospitals and public transit as soon as they're unlocked.

If you're not playing in unlimited-money sandbox mode, your priority in the early game is just building a tax base to balance the budget, which means zoning a bunch of residental with basic power, waster, and waste services, and probably at least an elementary school, and then adding some industry and commercial to give them jobs as demand requires. You can put off things like Police Stations and Hospitals until you can affort them. A lot of services that sound important have relatively minor actual mechanical impact in the game, like Elder-care which slightly increases life-spans and childcare which slightly increases the birth rate.

The main thing to remember with this game is it's not actually about min-maxing the economy and "beating" the game, it's actually just about making cool-looking cities, which is why so many people don't bother with grinding through the early game budget-balance slog and just play in unlimited money mode.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm actually surprised to hear unlimited money mode is popular. Skylines just loving throws cash at you, I've never had to think about the budget at all. Maybe those are my refined Service Scrimpin' Skills from SimCity 4 coming through.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm actually surprised to hear unlimited money mode is popular. Skylines just loving throws cash at you, I've never had to think about the budget at all. Maybe those are my refined Service Scrimpin' Skills from SimCity 4 coming through.

That's my thinking on why I DO use unlimited money. After your first little area is set up you're getting money faster than you can spend, so just turn the whole thing off so it can't possibly slow you down. Also it's hard to like pre-build your entire transit system before the first building even goes in otherwise. Or do massive terraforming and map touchups.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm still largely a noob and the only time I really worry about money is at the very start when you're plopping down your first roads and utilities. Easy for me to go crazy with roads and not have enough money for electric and water.

But if you can get over that hump it doesn't seem that difficult to keep your income in the green and then by like 60k-70k people I usually have more than I know what to do with.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Unlimited money / everything unlocked always. The actual game of C:S is not very engaging. The fun part is just making stuff that looks cool. Having to worry about money or unlocking stuff makes it at least a little bit harder to make stuff that looks cool.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

it's a little zen garden, like legos that produce dead bodies and garbage and lakes of rancid poo

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I want building to take time. Drawing roads or zones create work areas that require access. Growing cities takes time, and big highway project needs an alternate path.

I dislike instantly appearing stuff.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Add it to the 'difficult/realistic mode' options, along with eminent domain and tunnels being super-expensive.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I fixed the intersection. I had to redo all the lanes to what they were before and remove the pedestrian phase from the light. I think removing whatever was causing the weird weaving behavior did 90% of the work.

It's hard to even recognize this intersection without traffic backed up out of frame.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 2, 2022

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is this good?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've come to the end of the map I've been working on for well over 4 years now. The map has hit the prop and network limit and takes nearly an hour to load before usually crashing. I had a huge amount of fun building this and maybe I'll start another one some day, perhaps when the sequel comes out.

My almost city size English town (with F1 circuit, obviously)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What mods are you using to make everything so pretty and also rescale the buildings?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Behold:

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
:stare:

and, uh, what do you call it?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I hadn't named it but I will now call it "The Heart" because it looks and behaves like ventricles and arteries.

This will be really fun to rework but not now.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the violent U turn at the sudden end of a freeway.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

i'm the slaloms driving up from the bottom right

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
There's no traffic though, and that's the point right? :q:

e: I grabbed a 4x4 High Density Residential asset which I do like, but it's popping up a lot, how can I mitigate that?

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 16, 2022

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

um excuse me posted:

I'm the violent U turn at the sudden end of a freeway.

Hey, not the cities fault that people ignore all those reduced speed zone & highway ends signs.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I’m the indeterminate ramp at the 10 o’clock position

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Makes me wonder what a genetic algorithm would do for intersections in this situation.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Cities Skylines: the cities have sex to make more roundabouts

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Nervous looking city glances of an ultrasound of a cloverleaf connecting a mess of stroads

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

“How am I gonna tell my planners?”

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Jyrraeth posted:

Makes me wonder what a genetic algorithm would do for intersections in this situation.

https://twitter.com/xkcd/status/1534277433356349440

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
This intersection is mesmerizing to me. It's certainly not any sort of advanced intersection but watching all 6 lanes of that outlet from the industry area in the bottom right is immensely satisfying.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Need to play this game again soon, and try to not make a boring grid city like I always do. Growing up in Phoenix broke my brain for how cities are laid out.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Houston suburban hellsprawl grids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I am also taking a SimCity 4 break and am back on this bullshit for a while.

The Shitamachi district.