Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s a touchdown if he breaks the plane before touching the ground

You are not Out of bounds until a part of you touched the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

pentyne posted:

That's absolutely not a touchdown he literally dives out of bounds yards before the goal line and lands outside the goal.

Mmm, I dunno, you'd need another angle to see if he actually stepped out of bounds. If he was in the air when he broke the plane, it was definitely a touchdown.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lol football

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CharlestheHammer posted:

Begemot posted:

Mmm, I dunno, you'd need another angle to see if he actually stepped out of bounds. If he was in the air when he broke the plane, it was definitely a touchdown.

Thank you, people that actually know the rules of football.

Also, it does not appear that ran out of bounds, according to the replay review up in the booth. https://imgur.com/a/U9Y7xZN He is airborne after that frame. Of course, those refs took like 10 minutes to review this while we all waited, bleeding all the excitement out of the game.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well you guys weren't kidding when you said Horizon 5 had some of the most cringe-inducing dialogue in gaming. It may be a side effect of Spanish being my first language, but holy poo poo, this is like... whatever the opposite of ASMR is.

Game looks loving incredible though, god drat.

It also looks like it picked up my name from my xbox profile and it's really weird hearing the game call me by my irl first name :v:

Forza Horizon 5 is incredible not just in how deeply uncomfortable its Mexican-culture-by-way-of-Leamington treatment is, but in how it is so deeply afraid of losing the player's attention that it is constantly lavishing masturbatory praise on you every time you finish a race, or move ten feet without hitting a wall, or barrel through an entire fragile desert ecosystem in a Trans Am.

Still love that entire drat series, though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

CharlestheHammer posted:

The ball has to cross the plane in bounds. It's not a literal plane, it doesn't extend infinitely to the sides. IRL a player would push the ball to the left as they did that dive so it stayed inside the pylon. How you want to gamify corner touchdowns is up to the type of game you want to make, but it definitely shouldn't just be "well some part of the player was in bounds so it's a TD."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

K8.0 posted:

The ball has to cross the plane in bounds. It's not a literal plane, it doesn't extend infinitely to the sides. IRL a player would push the ball to the left as they did that dive so it stayed inside the pylon. How you want to gamify corner touchdowns is up to the type of game you want to make, but it definitely shouldn't just be "well some part of the player was in bounds so it's a TD."

He literally hits the pylon that is by definition breaking the plane

Unless you want to argue he knocked it with forearm but at that point we’ve reached levels of over analyzing an actual review booth wouldn’t care about

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 29, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

K8.0 posted:

In the NFL, the goal line extends infinitely. The ball doesn't need to be inside the pylon if the runner was inbounds before diving.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

kazil posted:

In the NFL, the goal line extends infinitely. The ball doesn't need to be inside the pylon if the runner was inbounds before diving.

Yeah could you imagine a dude diving four yards deep into the end zone and being called down at the 1.

People would riot like that Browns game

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah could you imagine a dude diving four yards deep into the end zone and being called down at the 1.

People would riot like that Browns game

Could be worse, they could rule that you lost control of the ball briefly which is a fumble out of the end zone and by rule is a touchback for the other team.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Oh my god what have I started

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
There are no planes in football. Are you people thinking of MFS instead of NFL?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

FreeKillB posted:

I tend to agree with you (maybe not major step down but i have like 3x as much time in 2 as in 3), but it boils down to several elements:
i) people who liked the concept of 'develop your own restaurant' were disappointed by the sandbox mode of play. Without the gated progression of the first game (which I am happy to see gone), the feeling of advancement ends up pretty hollow. The only real upgrades to advance your restaurant are pretty similar 'this chore shows up x% less' (and iirc even that didn't exist in the initial release). As you play a handful of days (initial release iirc), the Buzz will climb quite quickly to the point at which a new player will be overwhelmed. (My memory may be hazy but the option to reduce Buzz might have been an early patch and not release?)

ii) A tradeoff against 2's more general + flexible way of handling foods is that fewer (there are exceptions) of the foods feel as well differentiated from the others. In particular, each food in 1 had its own level to ease you in with more complex recipes unlocking over time. This feeds into issue i) as well

iii) on the technical level, 2 could have used a few extra passes for polish before launch. certain features like mouse UI for restaurant customization were entirely missing.

My upshot is that most of the sense of disappointment was from issues of comparison with the first game. Whenever I played it I tend to quickly run out of inspiration and spin my wheels, outside of starting a new profile and going through all of the Chef for Hire levels again.

I guess that makes sense, because making my own restaurant is the aspect of the game I care the least about. Even with decaying buzz, it’s too easy to fall back on the same handful of dishes rather than Chef For Hire which forces you to learn the entire catalogue. And I feel like the changes made in 3 exacerbate that issue even more, along with splitting recipes by custom orders and steam tray food and the addition of automatic customer delivery.

3 just didn’t engage me on nearly the same level as 1 and 2, but I say that as a huge fan of the franchise who will probably buy Cook Serve Forever on day one.

And I agree that I miss the recipe level progression CSD 1 had.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

kazil posted:

The goal line does not extend infinitely to the sides for an airborne runner. The ball needs to pass inside or over the pylon if you land out of bounds. Even when you aren't an airborne runner you need to get something inbounds if you're going to keep the ball outside the non-extended plane. see: DeSean Jackson being a dumb

It seems like this game did it pretty well actually. The pylon gets knocked down when the dude is airborne so there seems to be some collision between it and the ball passing over it.

Anyway I just came in here to say the invasion mode in Sniper Elite 5 is really fun as the invader but seems to suck as the player. Have had a couple of people already altF4ing to deny kills even though the game gives you a very simple OFF button for invasions if you're gonna get salty.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There are no planes in football.

I've played enough Ace Combat to disagree

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Speaking of, Ace Combat 7 drains my steam deck battery comically fast.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

punch drunk posted:

The goal line does not extend infinitely to the sides for an airborne runner. The ball needs to pass inside or over the pylon if you land out of bounds. Even when you aren't an airborne runner you need to get something inbounds if you're going to keep the ball outside the non-extended plane. see: DeSean Jackson being a dumb

Yeah, I've heard the commenters talk about the plane but this conversation made me realize was slightly unsure exactly how it worked. The rule apparently is:

NFL Rules Section 2, Article 1b says a touchdown is scored when: "a ball in possession of an airborne runner is on, above, or behind the plane of the goal line, and some part of the ball passed over or inside the pylon".

Of course, if you knock it over with the ball, that makes it much more obvious.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

punch drunk posted:

Anyway I just came in here to say the invasion mode in Sniper Elite 5 is really fun as the invader but seems to suck as the player. Have had a couple of people already altF4ing to deny kills even though the game gives you a very simple OFF button for invasions if you're gonna get salty.

It loses you xp if you turn it off, tho it’s a small change and xp matters so little I don’t get the issue really. You can also just turn off the invasion option after someone has invaded and it will just kick them out- might be what happened to you?

Personally I am a pretty big fan from the player side as well imo. Maybe even more so? You get to keep doing stuff the whole time, while playing as invader can sometimes get a bit boring if the players are stealthing. Tho I’m also doing it in coop, which makes it way easier to defend I think.

What annoys me about it is that it doesn’t turn off some of the big disadvantages from higher difficulty when you get invaded, or turn off the cameras. I have the no multiplayer camera option but it seems like that refers to the actual multiplayer modes, not SP while getting invaded. Dying because the camera is showing you your objective blowing up, or a sick headshot you got, is not great. Same w getting invaded for like the third time when you’re already low health/ammo.

Also would be nice if it just put you on a bit of a more even playing field when the invader comes in. In terms of health, but also skills. Eg early on the invader has like 2x as much health as the people you’re invading given the skill distribution. I think I’d prefer my level of skills be matched to the people I’m invading.

All that said I really like it as an addition still. Especially the invaders who like role play that they are an actual sniper, and just go crouching around everywhere. It’s very cute.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Saoshyant posted:

Hey ese, usted should have picked Horizon Cuatro for the tally ho guv' :v:

The dialogue in all of these games is so bad that I just love how bad it is.

CarlCX posted:

Forza Horizon 5 is incredible not just in how deeply uncomfortable its Mexican-culture-by-way-of-Leamington treatment is, but in how it is so deeply afraid of losing the player's attention that it is constantly lavishing masturbatory praise on you every time you finish a race, or move ten feet without hitting a wall, or barrel through an entire fragile desert ecosystem in a Trans Am.

Still love that entire drat series, though.

Yeah, the games are real fun but every time someone starts talking I just alt tab to something on the other monitor so the game loses focus and I don't have to listen to it :v:

So how's the 'progression' on these? iirc game auto-adjusts events class restrictions to what you pick so you can kinda use whatever?
Just pick a car I really like and upgrade it?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The progression is my biggest gripe with Forza Horizon. I like being forced into driving and upgrading poo poo cars in poo poo tier races starting off.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Can all of the armchair quarterbacks please take this discussion somewhere else

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

People did stop but if you want to look whiny you at least accomplished that

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Edmond Dantes posted:

So how's the 'progression' on these? iirc game auto-adjusts events class restrictions to what you pick so you can kinda use whatever?
Just pick a car I really like and upgrade it?

Kaddish posted:

The progression is my biggest gripe with Forza Horizon. I like being forced into driving and upgrading poo poo cars in poo poo tier races starting off.

Here's the beauty of Horizon. You can do just that. Or not if you don't want to. When you join an event most will put you on the blueprint for your car's current rank. That means if you have a Honda Civic your AI opponents are all using similar cars. You can upgrade yours to beat them if you aren't good at pushing your Honda Civic hard. And then you can use your upgraded Honda Civic in every other event until you get bored. Or you can just keep rotating between cars and the event blueprints will adjust to whatever you're running.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What PC games support the PS5 controller's weird triggers? There's Death Stranding DX and I think at least one more.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Heran Bago posted:

What PC games support the PS5 controller's weird triggers? There's Death Stranding DX and I think at least one more.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Controller:DualSense#Games_with_adaptive_triggers_and_haptic_feedback

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Kaddish posted:

Yeah, I hate that you can just use the same cars for all races, I like the GT games where gradually get in to new car classes as you win events. One of the coolest things about the GT series is the crap cars you start racing with.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Jamfrost posted:

64+ hours in Vampire Survivors and I'm still looking forward to playing more of the game. The best $3 I have ever spent.

What are people getting out of Vampire Survivors 64+ hours in? I know a decent number of people have tonnes of hours in the game but I felt like I'd exhausted it in my 35 hours.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

They keep updating it with new characters and unlockables and I feel driven to get all the achievements every time they add more.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phigs posted:

What are people getting out of Vampire Survivors 64+ hours in? I know a decent number of people have tonnes of hours in the game but I felt like I'd exhausted it in my 35 hours.

Numbers going up is one hell of a drug.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oxxidation posted:

me: kills a bat
me: gets a gem
me: i'd like to do this forever for some reason

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Neat thanks

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

QuarkJets posted:

Can all of the armchair quarterbacks please take this discussion somewhere else

Or at least can someone review the actual game instead?

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Why does everyone recommend Prey 2017 and not Prey 2006

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

computer_ posted:

Why does everyone recommend Prey 2017 and not Prey 2006

It's the better game, op

But also for real it's in the much rarer genre of System Shock successor that's done well vs arcade boomer shooter with some portals here and there which is what 2006 is.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Not sure you're joking or serious, but Prey 2006 is a completely different game by a completely different developer and is a linear FPS game with some "interesting" gimmicks (native american protagonist and native american "inspired" skills and weapons, and (static) portals that change up the level geometry in somewhat interesting ways)

Bethesda just realized they had the trademark rights to the name and decided to slap it on a completely different game a decade later.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
A Steam key for Pathologic 2: R9?TN-BIB6G-RBRJF (replace ? with the last digit of the current year)

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

lordfrikk posted:

A Steam key for Pathologic 2: R9?TN-BIB6G-RBRJF (replace ? with the last digit of the current year)
Thanks!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Ah, I've got the day off today, let's celebrate by checking for any interesting Steam games that--

oh

It was not a TD, I checked the slo-mo replay, refs hosed it up

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 30, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Phigs posted:

I think I added more than a dozen hours to my total playtime just trying to last 30 minutes with the maximum amount of Curse ( a stat that increases the enemy speed, health and spawn rate). I pulled it off with the first 4 maps, but I retired before the game added the Bone Zone. Good timing on my part, because I don't see myself pulling it off on that map.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mierenneuker posted:

I think I added more than a dozen hours to my total playtime just trying to last 30 minutes with the maximum amount of Curse ( a stat that increases the enemy speed, health and spawn rate). I pulled it off with the first 4 maps, but I retired before the game added the Bone Zone. Good timing on my part, because I don't see myself pulling it off on that map.

There are now 2 guaranteed items that you can find on every stage that additionally raise curse :getin: