Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Russian advance will only be limited by logistics / supply.

Eh. The defenders have an influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1530630366905638912?t=SYPLquteLqvGig5S8KvH-g&s=19

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

If you look at the direction the arrow is pointing and follow it to Nova Kahkova, a blue polyline starts. That's the North Crimea Canal.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

If you look at the direction the arrow is pointing and follow it to Nova Kahkova, a blue polyline starts. That's the North Crimea Canal.

Any serious push in that direction will absolutely force the Russians to reprioritize their actions elsewhere. This threatens the fresh water supply in Crimea.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Any serious push in that direction will absolutely force the Russians to reprioritize their actions elsewhere. This threatens the fresh water supply in Crimea.

If that's the case, good for the Ukrainians and bad for the Russians. It seems like this is all a fight against the clock. Which runs out first? Russian logistics or Ukrainian manpower?

I have this weird feeling that either way it plays out, it's gonna be a house of cards situation. Or both sides sit down at the negotiating table (unlikely).

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

UKR holdout in a trench singlehandedly delays Russian trench assault. From drone.

CW- war, death
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CeI3wFTAAwd/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I couldn't watch all of it but the soldier has my upmost respect.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

I couldn't watch all of it but the soldier has my upmost respect.

No matter the side or war, I can admire the hell out of that type of audacity.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Not a soldier here:

What was the other option? Just go fetal and give up? Is there a tactical retreat available that I (definitely) don't see?

E: I'm in no way saying that I wouldn't take the fetal option or understand it

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Soul Dentist posted:

Not a soldier here:

What was the other option? Just go fetal and give up? Is there a tactical retreat available that I (definitely) don't see?

E: I'm in no way saying that I wouldn't take the fetal option or understand it

Retreat was available in various forms, none of them great (over the top is an option, a bad one. So is assaulting forward. So is using their frags against them tactically, which isn't taught but is a thing- they will take cover from the grenade, too. You can us that time- maybe a quarter to a half second before they are back up to move. That would have got him into a less dependable trench to the right), and probably delaying the same thing. He was also certainly buying time, hoping friends show up. Better to make a stand where you have a chance and make them pay full price plus interest for every step.
Give up is always an option. So is just not fighting. You'd be shocked how many dudes don't fight when it gets down to it. Dude was taking sprinkles from every grenade you saw- I've seen guys give up the fight from lesser wounds.

While the heroic last stand happens more than we'll ever know, they don't happen as often as you think because it takes a certain kind of breed to be willing to stand there and die.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dude has the option at any point of shouting to the Russians a stone grenade's throw away from him that he's done with this poo poo and ready to give up.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah but no guarantee they listen.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Not a great analogy, but think of it like boxing-
Why is it some men will keep getting up? Why'd we have to add the standing count? There have been fighters who just keep coming until they are killed, or stopped by outside forces. What is different between those fighters, and the guys who take a bink and give in.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I'm wondering if he was in some altered state of battle frenzy, like a berserker of old.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Carth Dookie posted:

Yeah but no guarantee they listen.

Or if they listen you might like the death they give you after the fact less than the one they're offering right now.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

Dude has the option at any point of shouting to the Russians a stone grenade's throw away from him that he's done with this poo poo and ready to give up.

Russia's racking up some pretty high warcrimin' scores. I'm not so sure this was actually an option.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Thanks! This confirmed what I could only see looking top down, but I can't imagine trying to assess in his boots with the sprinkles (lol) happening so fast

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Or if they listen you might like the death they give you after the fact less than the one they're offering right now.

Yeah somehow I doubt surrendering to the Russians is likely to result in a change of heart on their part from grenade chucking to immediate compassionate medical aid (lol Russian med kits even if it did) followed by a nice comfy hospital bed to see out the rest of the war.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

ISW has been hypothesizing that Russia has been stripping other areas to support their push in the north east.

If so this offensive has a real chance to FUBAR all of Russias plans if they are too weak to fully support both fronts.

Also, this says a lot about Ukraines position if they can do this credibly. Holding Russia to a slow grind around severdonetsk, forcing them to reinforce north of Karkov and now advancing towards Crimea is a lot to handle all at once.

Edit: also, also if this new offensive is well supported and really did catch Russia off guard then their ISR capabilities are really hurting if they can’t keep eyes on a few hundred km of pretty condensed front.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 30, 2022

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I want to add I ain't no expert- I minored in Warology, but didn't graduate.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1531051561543028736?t=3-F3gnAxvyyBEd46P09fBg&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1531051422191562752?t=8gulN43V3Z7ge8e0kgJCBA&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1531051332454387712?t=w2k8G5oDwQegddSYMHH1fQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1531049383789215744?t=tw8r6onuZ4cA1NjPeDBRWg&s=19

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 30, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BaconAndBullets posted:

If that's the case, good for the Ukrainians and bad for the Russians. It seems like this is all a fight against the clock. Which runs out first? Russian logistics or Ukrainian manpower?

I have this weird feeling that either way it plays out, it's gonna be a house of cards situation. Or both sides sit down at the negotiating table (unlikely).

Ukraine is spooling up a significant infusion of manpower. An early wave of mobilization has relieved regular units that had been committed to defending Kyiv within the past week. I expect that those relieving units are undergoing training in addition to their security duties, and once they're up to speed, they'll get rotated to the front. Ukraine is in theis for the long haul. Unlike Russia, Ukraine has the political capital and general will for a total war footing.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 30, 2022

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The Ukrainians are starting to get a pretty solid history of counterattacks. They seem to have good priorities in where to strike (Kyiv*, Kharkiv, now Kherson) and pick a moment where the Russian forces are at their most worn out or deprioritized.

* Yes, this one was mostly a rout, but they still caused the rout condition.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bulletsponge13 posted:

I want to add I ain't no expert- I minored in Warology, but didn't graduate.

I did the All New Community Oriented College of Warology courses, I learned more with OJT than there

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I did the All New Community Oriented College of Warology courses, I learned more with OJT than there

I did a semester abroad at University of Karbala, but the credits don't transfer.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I get the impression that the Kremlin is still very much banking on our short attention span.

https://twitter.com/meduza_en/status/1530225948037349376

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I get the impression that the Kremlin is still very much banking on our short attention span.

Eh, sounds like posturing to get Ukraine to commit more forces to defense than it needs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Lol, if Russia diverted enough forces to try Kiev again, Ukraine could probably waltz into Sevastapol.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nuclear Tourist posted:

They think they can win a war of attrition that they’re already losing elsewhere? With what army/equipment?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Russia taking Kiev in 3 days was feint comrade. Russia will take it in 3 seasons

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Given the current situation and the European disunity in the matter, I believe half that.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

bulletsponge13 posted:

I did a semester abroad at University of Karbala, but the credits don't transfer.

Getting back to the dirt you started on counts as a graduation.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Alan Smithee posted:

Russia taking Kiev in 3 days was feint comrade. Russia will take it in 3 seasons

Six seasons and a movie

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

M_Gargantua posted:

Six seasons and a movie

And it ends in a way the original author never even thought of

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I'm half amazed that some of them don't have AKs, the most widely produced Russian weapon

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I'm half amazed that some of them don't have AKs, the most widely produced Russian weapon

Aren't most AKs in the world actually unauthorized knockoffs though?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

psydude posted:

Aren't most AKs in the world actually unauthorized knockoffs though?
Yeah, mine is Romanian for example. Maybe they literally sold off all their backup stock of AKMs, but not many countries are interested in AK-74s

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm putting basically no stock in anything that claims insider knowledge of what's going on in the Kremlin, especially given what we have seen of their decision making seems to amount to Putin making a decision unilaterally or with a tiny handful of consultants and then sharing the information at the last possible moment to implement it. They can't leak because they don't know and their opinions don't affect decision making ( which is not to suggest that "exclude experts from decision making and launch major undertakings as a surprise to your own people" is an overall effective management style). If it's not that, it's probably deliberate information.

Our best barometer for their military intent seems to be watching where the troops go, and for their internal politics it's waiting for someone important to fall out a window.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Apparently the US ruled out sending MLRS because it might anger Russia. You know, more than all of the other poo poo we've already supplied.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1531151399618236416?s=20&t=T_2ptdqeHq1ZrPJ2JB11Eg

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020