Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

- I'd like to play as F2P as possible - when will the membership stuff start impacting me? Like, can I do a set of quests and some skill grinding, then begin to care about giving 'em 12$?
f2p is basically just a demo, you will struggle to make any gains, and is generally not a good impression of the game. most people who play f2p now are doing so on an alt account just for the weird challenge.

StrixNebulosa posted:

- What's the best PVE / "leave me alone I'm playing solo" server?
servers are not locked at all, you can hop between them whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Niavmai posted:

f2p is basically just a demo, you will struggle to make any gains, and is generally not a good impression of the game. most people who play f2p now are doing so on an alt account just for the weird challenge.

servers are not locked at all, you can hop between them whenever.

Ah, is there like, an XP gain cap or something?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ah, is there like, an XP gain cap or something?

no, it's just that all of the lowest levels are exceedingly slow and tedious, which are completely skipped by rewards from p2p quests. not to mention you just don't have access to 90% of the content.

if you've never tried the game at all (i assume most people played for a day, 10-20 years ago), it can be an okay way to see the most basic interactions you'll have to do with the game, but beyond that i'd just drop the $12 and see the game properly.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I played pretty hardcore on F2P for about a month I think before going paid, did all of the quests except one before going paid. I wouldn't recommend that because paid is so much better. But there's no downside to firing it up F2P and just seeing if the very basic gameplay is for you. That way if you bounce off it right away then it costs you nothing. But if you're liking it for even an hour or 2 after newbie island then you should definitely go paid if finances allow. If finances don't allow then honestly F2P can still be a fun experience for a month if you're a degenerate, probably a few months for a normal person, until the F2P quests run out. After that it's just grinding with much much worse options than the paid payers get.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Very tentatively checking out this game as I want an idle game alternative as Trimps is slowing down for me.

First one's free. Join the discord and message me (Poopsocker) and I'll give you a bond that's good for 14 days of members.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Unironically I think F2P is fine for a while. Members is definitely better but if you've never played runescape before there's still a lot to see in F2P.

You will want members before too long though.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I still say that F2P is a nice little condensed experience that tells you whether or not the full game will appeal to you. It's only 10% of the full game but it's a nice little slice of it

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Is the F2P experience more or less the same as it was 15-20 years ago? If so, it’s definitely worth trialing in F2P to make sure the game is for you.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Soulhunter posted:

First one's free. Join the discord and message me (Poopsocker) and I'll give you a bond that's good for 14 days of members.

If this offer is still available next week I'll probably take it! It's awfully generous of you.

I want to give f2p a few more days + allow for memorial day weekend, as my partner's taking some days off and I ain't spending time on an mmo when I could hang with him.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Soulhunter posted:

This offer is generally open for any new osrs players that join the discord, one of us will try to hook newbies up just so the clan chat isn't completely empty all the time.

Also you're trapped with us forever once you join.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Adding onto the F2P experience: The way leveling works you won't hit any significant roadblocks until you know if you like the game or not. You might hit areas you can't go to, but you won't see players running around with equipment you can't get yet. (And if you do, they can't be used on free worlds anyway.)

It also creates a sort of secondary market where things like Rune items are worth more because it's the best gear for a chunk of the playerbase.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am having such a delightful time this morning running around and exploring, killing things and selling the bones for cash. I helped out a chef, did a quest for a wizard, and I need to buy a shovel. :allears:

This feels like the platonic ideal of an mmorpg as it's just...you've got skills and a sandbox, get to it! And the stories are charming old school fantasy so far.

e: Why can't I sell cowhide?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am having such a delightful time this morning running around and exploring, killing things and selling the bones for cash. I helped out a chef, did a quest for a wizard, and I need to buy a shovel. :allears:

This feels like the platonic ideal of an mmorpg as it's just...you've got skills and a sandbox, get to it! And the stories are charming old school fantasy so far.

this is adorable and i hope you continue to enjoy this much. i think the cowhide is an anti-bot measure since you're a brand new account, you might have to wait a bit.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Poking around it sounds like for a lot of popular, in demand items, you can't sell unless you have 24 hours of playtime or 7 quest points.

I'm glad you're having fun though! I often feel the same way about runescape; I think I like it a lot more that most MMOs because it feels like an actual living world instead of a theme park.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
RuneScape is a way better game if you don’t play if efficiently and instead just try to have fun.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

kaaj posted:

RuneScape is a way better game if you don’t play if efficiently and instead just try to have fun.

Agreed. After a while of feeling like picking this game up again I made an Ironman account and I just do random things I come across. I avoid using the wiki as much as I can and experience stuff as blindly as I can.

I've come to realize that metagaming has been ruining my game experience for too long, now I just enjoy poking stuff with my spear and stumbling upon quests randomly

I still have no idea how to start skilling hunter but I guess I'll find it eventually :v:

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

kaaj posted:

RuneScape is a way better game if you don’t play

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

also everyone should make a point of joining the discord channel whether you're brand new or if you haven't played in weeks/months/years because it's full of helpful people who've shared the mental trauma of playing this game for twenty (!) years

lots of us don't actually play anymore but have brains full of useless RuneScape trivia that can help you with your burgeoning mmo addiction figuring out where to go/what to see in any stage of the game

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

If only we could all be so blessed

Swicky
Dec 29, 2013

DAY MAN
AHH AHH AHHHHHHH
FIGHTER OF THE NIGHT MAN
AHH AHH AHHHHHHH
He's a master of karate and friendship, for everyone
God i wish i never started playing this game

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you're hurting for coins, I'd be happy to give you some.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Swicky posted:

and thats the way it was
Feb 14, 2011

Swicky posted:

New thread title?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Just joined the discord as Rusty Shackleford. Been playing as a group ironman recently but used to play with goons a few years ago.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Finished the 'get skills to level 5' tutorials for close combat, then mining/fishing/etc, and swapped to ranged...and ran out of arrows! Which led to trying to make my own, as I REALLY like making my own gear in games if I can, and... membership wall. So - thank you, Poopsocker! Got my first bond, putting it to good use. Gonna learn to fletch, and I expect I'll keep playing this on and off as my chillout game.

Two cute things, and a question:

- I smiled fondly at trying to tell the priest I'm playing a game and didn't know the gods. That was charming!

- The vampire warning me about account security, that's solid. Like - dumb little touches that feel very early internet to me, reminding me of playing MUDs. That's the stuff.

- Any worlds I should be on? I picked a member one at random (after making sure it wasn't PVP).

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Worlds kind of don't matter. Characters aren't tied to worlds and you can hop at any time, so if you're doing a specific activity you can switch to the world for that activity to try and find some other people.

Or, of course, you can always go to low population worlds if you'd rather play your mmo in peace. :v:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Well, decided to try playing after not for a few years. Couldn’t even remember if my current email had an account. Turns out I did, but it got banned for macroing less than a year ago, despite me not touching RuneScape in a long time.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Nottherealaborn posted:

Well, decided to try playing after not for a few years. Couldn’t even remember if my current email had an account. Turns out I did, but it got banned for macroing less than a year ago, despite me not touching RuneScape in a long time.

You can appeal that.

Had the same thing happen after I came back from a decade break. Tons of Tokkul and my fighting skills were all 99.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Bondematt posted:

You can appeal that.

Had the same thing happen after I came back from a decade break. Tons of Tokkul and my fighting skills were all 99.

Yeah I just submitted an appeal. Hope it goes through, otherwise I’ll have to sign up through another email I guess.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Any worlds I should be on? I picked a member one at random (after making sure it wasn't PVP).

Worlds are basically just channels in other MMOs, you can just hit ESC and change to another one if you want too

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Worlds are so transient it's very common to jump to another world if the thing you want to do is overcrowded on one world. Some money/skilling strategies even call for server hopping, though you never have to do that if you don't want to, in case that sounds horrible to you like it did for me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

More adventures: after getting exasperated with the Romeo and Juliet quest (Romeo why are you a fool) and wanting to fight some stuff, I decided to look for a combat quest and couldn't find any. So I shot cows with arrows for a while, and finally said to myself "okay ask the discord, they'll point me somewhere neat" and they did! Apparently I want to go west, but west contains White Wolf Mountain, aka :rip:

aka I wish sprint regened faster, I want to grab my corpse and then keep going.

DJOprahSpinfrey
Dec 18, 2018

Wah Wah Wee Wah
Just joined the discord as DJ Oprah Spinfrey :downsbravo:

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
There are some worlds with a sort of community feeling to them, in particular world 420, where half the players have weed names and talk about weed in public chat constantly.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

hot date tonight! posted:

There are some worlds with a sort of community feeling to them, in particular world 420, where half the players have weed names and talk about weed in public chat constantly.

On a completely unrelated note, that’s also the clan’s home world.

Kryostic
Mar 25, 2016

Posting for discord access, same name as here.
Been playing on/off for 15 years and uhh...

Swicky posted:

Same.

Love Machine
Sep 7, 2012

Batteries not included.
Joined the discord as Lyril.

It's been like 10 years since I last played and while I was able to log into my old account on RS3, figured I'd start fresh in OSRS.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Hi, I'm Lapses in-game, finally getting around to joining the Discord with the same name as I have here. Thanks :).

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Does anyone else use the HD mod for runelite and find it runs like rear end sometimes? I get 30fps in varrock in some places... granted most everything is cranked as high as it can go but I figure a 6900xt shouldn't even break a sweat with this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
To be fair the hd mod is made by a single guy who's trying is best, and we almost didn't get it because :jagex:

It's a bit wonky at time and places, but for something that's made by a single fan, it could just straight up not work at all, so we take what we can, until jagex makes their own hd graphics around 2033