Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Just wait until hyperinflation makes a taco cost one thousand dollars. You’ll rue the day you didn’t get a bajillion dollar limit….

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Apple increased my limit by like 3x for no reason last week :cheerdoge:

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
My credit:annual income is higher than 2.

That's normal, right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Shroomie posted:

This usually only happens with multiple cards from the same bank (Chase is notorious for limiting you to 50% of your income), but they can usually adjust existing limits to make room for a new card if you call recon.

Does Chase have a hard limit of 50-60k or so?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
I got denied on my Freedom Flex application having a 6-figure overall credit limit but was sent a pre-approval flyer for the Freedom Unlimited within 2 weeks and went for it and was approved.

So . . . this doesn't help at all because we can't tell if the pre-approval exempted me from the limit.

Unless you're talking about a limit only within the Chase ecosystem. This is my first and only Chase card so far.

In which case, this still doesn't help.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I recently applied for and recieved an Amazon Prime Visa, Venture X, and Amex Gold (first amex card).
VX and Gold both did a hard pull on my Transunion, I don't think Amazon did.
I'm thinking about getting a card for my business (LLC with its own EIN), is it okay to move forward with that or should I wait?
My credit scores pre-pull were 780+

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Hard pulls fade fairly quickly. Unless you were thinking of applying for a loan in the near future, go for it.

That said, some cards will start rejecting you if they see too many hard pulls in your recent record, but three cards shouldn't be a problem IME.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I just got some paper mail from Chase where they sent me "balance transfer checks that make it easy to pay for the things you need". It's essentially two "checks" which I can use to pay whatever up to $15.000 at 0% APR and the balance gets added to my July statement (so payable August).

I can apparently even use this to pay myself and just use the cash for whatever.

So, is this essentially a 3 month interest free loan?

Just to be clear I'm not going to use this, I'd just never gotten something like this before.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

dpkg chopra posted:

I just got some paper mail from Chase where they sent me "balance transfer checks that make it easy to pay for the things you need". It's essentially two "checks" which I can use to pay whatever up to $15.000 at 0% APR and the balance gets added to my July statement (so payable August).

I can apparently even use this to pay myself and just use the cash for whatever.

Just to be clear I'm not going to use this, I'd just never gotten something like this before.

More or less, yes. If you decide you want to use the checks though, do not use the card for anything until you pay off the loan completely. The checks are 0% but purchases most definitely are not, and since you already would have an outstanding balance, there is zero grace period on your purchases.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
I've gotten some of those recently, and all of them indicated a 3% fee would apply. Interest free but not actually free

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Didn't part of the Credit Card Bill of Rights / CARD Act that Obama signed force them to apply payments to the highest interest portion of a balance first?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
With those there are a couple of things to look for.
First is a balance transfer fee, which is a couple %. There usually is one, but it can be waived for a specific promotion.
The second is if they are going to retroactively charge interest if the full balance isn't paid off at the end of the promotion. I'm not sure if this is common, but I would definitely check.
Lastly if you don't also have a promotion for 0% interest on new purchases the held balance is likely going to mean you don't have a grace period and purchases will start accruing interest immediately.

They're best avoided as they are intended to be traps, but they can be to your advantage if there is no balance fee, you pay the entire thing off before the APR kicks back in, and you put the card in a drawer and don't use it for anything else until after it's been paid off in full for 2 statements in a row.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

dpkg chopra posted:

Look out for a fee that's separate from the APR.

e:f;b

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

THF13 posted:

The second is if they are going to retroactively charge interest if the full balance isn't paid off at the end of the promotion. I'm not sure if this is common, but I would definitely check.

This is big with Synchrony (Sweetwater, Paypal Credit, and Amazon cards for me definitely something to keep on top of).

I haven't come across anyone else which does it, but I'm sure there are more. I'd be surprised if Chase is one of them, though.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

astral posted:

Look out for a fee that's separate from the APR.

e:f;b

Yeah, I just reread it and it's a 4% fee.

JFC, I can only imagine how many people just cash these checks and dump them into crypto or whatever.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

dpkg chopra posted:

Any way to opt out of these? I get them just about every month from all my Chase cards thinking they might have updated their terms or something only for it to be another balance transfer check.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

halokiller posted:

Any way to opt out of these? I get them just about every month from all my Chase cards thinking they might have updated their terms or something only for it to be another balance transfer check.

You should be able to opt out if you call or send in a secure message (which may tell you to call anyway).

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

How long does it usually take to get mailed the physical Amazon Prime card? I was approved and I've been able to use the card online for over a week , but I can't create a Chase account to actually manage it without the physical card.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think mine came in like a week or so.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Edit: nvm, I was having a dumb issue with the Amazon Chase Visa and the Households feature but I "fixed" it. The tldr is that trying to switch households around is a pain in the rear end and be ready to wait 180 days to fix anything.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 21, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i'm in a weird limbo right now where fidelity wanted me to send in more info to verify that i am who i say i am but i was a bit late in sending that info (via fax!) but now i'm trying to figure out if they're even processing it anymore and whether or not i should just reapply for the card or if i should just apply for another 2% CB card... no real question but just wanting to get 2% on my purchases...

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Strong Sauce posted:

i'm in a weird limbo right now where fidelity wanted me to send in more info to verify that i am who i say i am but i was a bit late in sending that info (via fax!) but now i'm trying to figure out if they're even processing it anymore and whether or not i should just reapply for the card or if i should just apply for another 2% CB card... no real question but just wanting to get 2% on my purchases...

You can call them and ask them. Citi double cash is ok and if you get a rewards+ from citi also you can link them and get like 2.2% back

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i called and they said i took too long and should reapply. i reapplied and immediately got the card :shrug:

btw, if you put 2 million into the money management account they'll up your cash back to 3%. lol..

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I got hit with a hard credit limit on my Amex Gold tonight. I owe Amex more than usual right now, but the majority of what I owe is on my Platinum card and that's still No Preset Spending Limit. I think maybe they were worried about fraud happening with my girlfriend's AU card. She used it a few places around town today and as soon as she hit $500 spend for the day they capped the card right where it was.

I might call tomorrow and see what's up. I don't really care if it has a limit. My main concern is I'm looking to take advantage of a Business Platinum offer I've got and idk if this disqualifies me from opening a new account.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
What are the threads thoughts on the X1 card? I'm starting to look for a new daily credit card to replace my USAA Limitless card. 3x rewards (2.7x for cash) seems like a decent deal?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
People who minmax probably aren't going to get to the $15,000/year unless they spend a lot on their fallback card. But if you're only looking to carry one card it seems worth considering.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Alliant CU's Visa Signature is a similar no-fee 2.5% card if you're willing to open a checking account, keep $1000 in it, receive statements electronically, and make at least one electronic deposit per month.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

SamDabbers posted:

Alliant CU's Visa Signature is a similar no-fee 2.5% card if you're willing to open a checking account, keep $1000 in it, receive statements electronically, and make at least one electronic deposit per month.

I am working on that card, but you also need to have kept $1,000 in it for the entire last quarter, and managed the electronic deposit every month of that last quarter.

So if you want 2.5% get 1,000 in the account by the end of June, you can have it in October.

That being said, in general, cashback above 2%, in general, is probably not sustainable. If a card actually gives you above 2% back per purchase they are losing money on every purchase, the X1 card is a "fintech" product. Anyway, the point is with these products, you kind of expect some issues as they are not a traditional bank, and at some point they will almost certainly change the cashback amount, reduce the rewards, etc..

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MrLogan posted:

What are the threads thoughts on the X1 card? I'm starting to look for a new daily credit card to replace my USAA Limitless card. 3x rewards (2.7x for cash) seems like a decent deal?

I was looking at it earlier, and forbes says you can't redeem the points for cash?

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credit-cards/reviews/x1/

maybe that's changed

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 11, 2022

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

SamDabbers posted:

You only get 2.5% on the first $10k spend, unfortunately (in addition to the other hoops). I just want something to put $25k-$30k on annually and not have to worry about rotating categories or min/maxing or anything. :(

Tunicate posted:

I was looking at it earlier, and forbes says you can't redeem the points for cash?

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credit-cards/reviews/x1/

maybe that's changed

It's technically a statement credit and not cash from what I read, but maybe that's what they are referring to?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

MrLogan posted:

You only get 2.5% on the first $10k spend, unfortunately (in addition to the other hoops). I just want something to put $25k-$30k on annually and not have to worry about rotating categories or min/maxing or anything. :(

It’s 10k per billing cycle (month)

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

MrLogan posted:

BofA will do 2.62% everywhere on their top cards with relationship bonus from parking assets with BofA/ML.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

FunOne posted:

BofA will do 2.62% everywhere on their top cards with relationship bonus from parking assets with BofA/ML.

It’s kind of disingenuous to say this and not explain the amount of assets.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

FunOne posted:

When I was a dumb undergrad I got caught up in BofA’s strategy of staggering withdrawal/deposits to maximize penalty fees and haven’t used BofA since. :mad:

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

pseudanonymous posted:

It’s kind of disingenuous to say this and not explain the amount of assets.

It's $100,000. However this is a lot easier to meet than it sounds since you can transfer your IRA there and fill it up with Vanguard ETFs.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

It’s 10k per billing cycle (month)

Well that's certainly better! I'll look into them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Heyo, figured I'd resurrect this. All the links have expired, so I wiped the sheet, please feel free to add your own. If you want a new card/tab let me know and I'll add it:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Heyo, figured I'd resurrect this. All the links have expired, so I wiped the sheet, please feel free to add your own. If you want a new card/tab let me know and I'll add it:

Thanks for managing this!

Couple of minor things:

1) The first line on the Discover IT page is protected and causes blanks to populate the random page when it selects it.
2) The Capital One cards are called "Savor" and not "Savior." I didn't want to change them in case it messed up your formula.
3) The formatting for the bonus on the random page for some cards will only display it as plain numbers and it is formatted to align all the way to the right side of the cell.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Thanks for managing this!

Couple of minor things:

1) The first line on the Discover IT page is protected and causes blanks to populate the random page when it selects it.
2) The Capital One cards are called "Savor" and not "Savior." I didn't want to change them in case it messed up your formula.
3) The formatting for the bonus on the random page for some cards will only display it as plain numbers and it is formatted to align all the way to the right side of the cell.

Thanks, fixed all these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Interesting data point, I defaulted on an Amex for about $2.3k in 2011 but I got my poo poo together a year or two after. I have had impeccable credit since but never paid Amex back.

I'd applied for another Amex every few years but was clearly blacklisted based on there never being a credit pull. Remembered to check again today and was approved with a $31k limit, same as my other largest card LOC (of 5).